HALO

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

HALO

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I swear I remember seeing a Halo thread here, but now I can't find it. So...here's another one.

Anyways, Halo is one of my most favorite video game franchises. I started with Halo: Combat Evolved, which is still my most favorite, and I have played most of the games. Of course, I'm really excited for Halo: Infinite.

Any Halo fans here? How long have you played the games? Not really into Halo? DISCUSS!
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: HALO

Post by JAGzilla »

Longtime Halo fan here. I started with Combat Evolved in 2003 and have played the living hell out of every main series game since. It's been about two years since I regularly played H5, though; the multiplayer was fun, but everyone else stopped playing and it became hard to actually find games. I'm definitely looking forward to Infinite, of course. I assume they'll try to break into the battle royale genre, and there's a lot of potential for that to be epic.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Not too big into the games... COD is better

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

JAGzilla wrote:Longtime Halo fan here. I started with Combat Evolved in 2003 and have played the living hell out of every main series game since. It's been about two years since I regularly played H5, though; the multiplayer was fun, but everyone else stopped playing and it became hard to actually find games. I'm definitely looking forward to Infinite, of course. I assume they'll try to break into the battle royale genre, and there's a lot of potential for that to be epic.
I don’t remember the exact quote, but I do believe that 343 stated previously that Infinite won’t have one, which I’m personally happy with. They could easily just expand both BTB and Warzone into far larger game modes due to the huge increase in performance from the next gen hardware.

On another note: I at least hope the thrusters and perhaps clamber stick around for Infinite. The classic game mode in H5 showed that you could have a nice marriage of classic and modern gameplay mechanics without them clashing.

#BotM

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Godzilla165 wrote: I don’t remember the exact quote, but I do believe that 343 stated previously that Infinite won’t have one, which I’m personally happy with. They could easily just expand both BTB and Warzone into far larger game modes due to the huge increase in performance from the next gen hardware.
Looking it up, you're right, they did say there won't be a BR mode. That was back in June of 2018, though, so before Fortnite demonstrated its staying power and games like Apex Legends and now COD swarmed in to jump on the bandwagon. Battle Royales are the big thing in the shooter genre right now, so Halo would be taking a significant risk by excluding that game mode. That said, there is a lot to be said for sticking to tradition; no doubt a lot of veteran fans would appreciate it if the game maintained its classic style rather than trying to strike the newest iron while it's hot. And in any case, you're also right that BTB and Warzone, improved and beefed up in scale, could fill a similar niche.

One thing I want to see is improved AI enemies. The Covenant were extremely lethal in the first two games, and playing on Legendary meant something. I want some of that back. Nowadays, most AI enemies are depressingly easy to mow down on Legendary, with the only exceptions being boring damage sponge bosses like H5's Knights. I also want them to play a larger role in Warzone, with whole companies of Covenant troops being deployed and capable of moving around dynamically rather than just stuck defending one tiny space. They should be an actual, serious force on the battlefield if they're going to be included. It'd be cool if the Brutes returned, too, complete with their H3 vehicles. And for the love of God, bring back my competent Marines. They used to be legitimate allies in the Campaign, now they're just ineffectual scenery.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I was 10 when Halo Reach was about to be dropped i believe, (2010), anyway Halo 3 was my very first video game on a "modern console", ie not a gamecube or gameboy. So i saw the live action trailers and they were insanely epic, which lead me to buying H3 in anticipation. Then comes Reach, and that becomes my next favorite in the franchise. Down the line i ended up playing 1 and 2, loved the story, but didn't have the same attachments with the MP. Oh and Reach's Forge mode is iconic in gaming history, by the way.

Then... 343i gets the license.. the world is pumped, Halo 4 is in motion. Everyone is wondering who'll come back, Arbiter? Noble 6? Jorge who was theorized to have blown himself into hyperspace? Fred? Linda? Kelly? Nah, just a classic solo adventure that brings Chief closer to the glowy skeleton higher-ups, can't remember their names but they were... decent? Prometheus was the main antagonists name i think? I preferred the Halo Rings to be unexplained/unexplored outside of "Ancient beings made these rings to stop the Flood", that's epic enough for me. Speaking of, NO FLOOD? Couldn't believe it.. yes, they were destroyed in 3, kinda, but there's hiveminds across the galaxy soooo? Anyway, the cinematics were fantastic, later beaten by Halo 2's remaster, but for it's time Halo 4 was next level graphically. Forge was atrocious but that's besides the point.

(Oh and Brutes just stopped existing somewhere between here and 5 so that's cool.)

Then HALO 5, the complete deconstruction of the franchise, this caused the entire fanbase to either walkaway or scavenge what was left.. It was terrible, the story was... actually, what story? This felt like an episode of Power Rangers. Nothing happened, and what did happen made no sense unless you squinted. Chief was betrayed or something for no reason, he suddenly had his old squad he hadn't seen in decades again, Cortana turned evil. Half the campaign you played as some nooby Spartan 4s (which no one likes), the multiplayer was actually unplayable. Hey, but at least you can climb ledges and thruster boost now! The game was so grossly Advanced Warfare with a skin over it, it's no wonder the game was so terrible. There were DIFFERENCES between COD and Halo when Bungie had the license, 343 said screw that, lets make COD in space.

Halo is my.. nah, WAS my favorite game franchise, hell i met one of my best friends of 10 years on H3, but i think when games like MW19 and Titanfall 2 dropped, and they had better Halo-esque campaigns than Halo, and more entertaining MP matches than Halo, i realized maybe the franchise doesn't deserve that top spot anymore.

Maybe Infinite fixes it, maybe it doesn't, but 343 has no confidence from me.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 16, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

_JNavs_ wrote:Everyone is wondering who'll come back, Arbiter? Noble 6?
Wait....did people actually think that Noble Six would return?
Spoiler:
He/She died at the end of Halo: Reach.
Last edited by CrimsonBloodX on Sat May 16, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

CrimsonBloodX wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Everyone is wondering who'll come back, Arbiter? Noble 6?
Wait....did people actually think that Noble Six would return?
Spoiler:
He/She died at the end of Halo: Reach.
Huge rumor between Reach and 4 was that 6 potentially lived to fight another day. The Arbiter at the end of Halo Reach who opens his sword as soon as Six' helmet falls off was Mdama, and he would've saved 6, another was that 6 just fended them off long enough to get off the planet on a Ghost (or Phantom or something). Huge stretch but this was when gaming wanted to surprise you with twists and turns.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 16, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Even if Noble Six survived 343i would've just killed them off in a novel.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

_JNavs_ wrote:the multiplayer was actually unplayable.
Now, I'll agree all day that the Campaign was flaming toxic garbage, but this I'll need some explanation for. I played it just fine and had plenty of fun for like three years, and mostly only stopped because, as I said, there was no one left to play with.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

2004Zilla wrote:Even if Noble Six survived 343i would've just killed them off in a novel.
Bingo on the money.

Oh you guys didn't read the 6 books inbetween 5 and 6? Chief died while fighting alongside Noble 6 at the Floods Final Battle For the 7 Rings

Added in 3 minutes 8 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:the multiplayer was actually unplayable.
Now, I'll agree all day that the Campaign was flaming toxic garbage, but this I'll need some explanation for. I played it just fine and had plenty of fun for like three years, and mostly only stopped because, as I said, there was no one left to play with.
It just felt so closed in yet bouncy, every map was severely squared off, the abilities were so janky, the boosts completely turned the slower pace of Halo into some weird fast-paced laser-fight that had people bouncing off walls and ceilings like spider-man, and this doesn't work due to the fact that players still have shields, so you have to take the shields off neon mexican jumping beans, and hope they don't have teammates nearby. That's not even taking into account the enemies in the trucks and aerial vehicles who jump out and zoom away with their thrusters. It's like killing giant flying neon red and blue cockroaches
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 16, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: It just felt so closed in yet bouncy, every map was severely squared off, the abilities were so janky, the boosts completely turned the slower pace of Halo into some weird fast-paced laser-fight that had people bouncing off walls and ceilings like spider-man, and this doesn't work due to the fact that players still have shields, so you have to take the shields off neon mexican jumping beans, and hope they don't have teammates nearby. That's not even taking into account the enemies in the trucks and aerial vehicles who jump out and zoom away with their thrusters. It's like killing giant flying neon red and blue cockroaches
Exaggerated because the thrusters only move you a few feet, but I'll agree that the pacing was too fast to really feel like traditional Halo. Still fun in its own way, though.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JAGzilla wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: It just felt so closed in yet bouncy, every map was severely squared off, the abilities were so janky, the boosts completely turned the slower pace of Halo into some weird fast-paced laser-fight that had people bouncing off walls and ceilings like spider-man, and this doesn't work due to the fact that players still have shields, so you have to take the shields off neon mexican jumping beans, and hope they don't have teammates nearby. That's not even taking into account the enemies in the trucks and aerial vehicles who jump out and zoom away with their thrusters. It's like killing giant flying neon red and blue cockroaches
Exaggerated because the thrusters only move you a few feet, but I'll agree that the pacing was too fast to really feel like traditional Halo. Still fun in its own way, though.
Lol those few feet are a matter of life and death though! But i agree if you were to take away the Halo namesake, i'm sure the game would be fun as a standalone. It's just there was so much expectancy for this game to be traditional "Halo" with a major continuation in story and a well thought out contribution to the pacing.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Seeing how badly 343i dropped the ball on the mainline Halo games depresses me, lol. I know "343 bad Bungie good" is kinda a meme now but Bungie had so much of their shit together when they were working on Halo. The hype for Halo 3 was so fucking good. The live action ads are still some of my favorite EU content.

Halo: Landfall

Halo ODST: The Life

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Those live action trailers absolutely thrived.

Nothing better than those.

Added in 26 seconds:
What's everyones thoughts on Forward Unto Dawn? I actually enjoyed it, as much as i despise 343i

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

_JNavs_ wrote: What's everyones thoughts on Forward Unto Dawn? I actually enjoyed it, as much as i despise 343i
I think I owned it on DVD years ago but never watched it because I didn't hear anything good about it so I ended up trading it away. I'll have to look into it. As far as Halo video stuff goes, I'll always love Halo: Legends (except The Duel, never been a fan of that segment).

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: What's everyones thoughts on Forward Unto Dawn? I actually enjoyed it, as much as i despise 343i
It was okay. Nothing to really write home about, but decently entertaining as the first feature-length LA Halo project. The movie with Locke and the mutant Lekgolo worms (or whatever they were) was utterly dull and forgettable, though.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Call me a sucker, but "Discover Hope" really did make me believe that 343 knows what's on the line now for Halo, and that they're putting everything they've got into Infinite. Honestly, both trailers for the game felt like Halo to me, not "classic Halo", just Halo. They, especially the second one with brohammer, both told more of a story, felt much more intimate, and had that awe and mystique that Halo's stories are known for, than H5 could ever hope to do in its opening cutscene. Like yeah, Spartans can and regularly do the crazy shit we saw in said cutscene in the extended lore, and even crazier feats... But it felt a bit overly bombastic in a sense; even Chief flying out into space and planting a bomb on a Covenant cruiser had a bit more nuance. That isn't to say that H5 didn't have some genuinely good moments in its campaign, just that they were unfortunately overshadowed by the bad ones, and the constant nagging that the marketing was all one big lie.

In any case, ramblings aside, Infinite's second trailer/opening scene does have me very hopeful, optimistic, and excited for the game. The Chief is front and center, brohammer seems like a genuinely compelling character after merely spending a few minutes with him, it looks utterly gorgeous and will likely look even better as the game nears completion, and the overall tone and musical cues just feel right and familiar. Halo 4 had an excellent story, Halo 5 butchered it, and I can only hope that Infinite can save it, which again I'm optimistic for the project. We'll see in July.

I say this as a primarily Xbox player and overall fan of the brand(though I do play on both sides and other avenues)... If 343 and MS can't absolutely nail Halo Infinite, then that'll be a pretty substantial issue.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Sat May 16, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Yeah, the live action Halo trailers are amazing. My favorite is Halo: Reach's "Deliver Hope".

I watched Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn just last month out of boredom. It was the first time I watched that movie in, I think, seven years and my thoughts on it at the time was that it was pretty good, but not great. Before watching it again, my expectations were pretty low, but I ended really liking it much more than my first time. As for Halo: Nightfall, I haven't seen that since 2015 and I remembered thinking it was all right. I should watch it again soon since I have a lot of time on my hands right now.

By they way, Halo 3: ODST > Halo: Reach

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

I enjoyed Forward Unto Dawn. Not a favorite of mine in the Halo universe, but a WHOLE lot better compared to the bland sequel...
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon