General Gaming News Thread

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: General Gaming News Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

^From what I hear, Sony just might buy out Konami as well.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Sony would feel that hole created if they did, though. Sony are a massive company, but this is a case where we see the difference between a multi billion dollar company, and a trillion dollar company. It’s crazy to think that they just paid 7.5 billion dollars in cash, and yet even that probably affect them that much.

#BotM

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

These companies are all too big. Too rich.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Bugthesda still gonna Bugthesda methinks.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KManX89 wrote:Bugthesda still gonna Bugthesda methinks.
Yeah I don't know how strict Microsoft is.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I wonder what this means for Death Loop which was touted as a PS5 console exclusive? Is it going to be a timed exclusive now that MS owns ZeniMax and their Arkane Studio was making that game.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^They’ve stated that they will honor that deal with Sony, although it is a timed exclusive. However, games going forward will be, “case-by-case”.

#BotM

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm gonna guess "case-by-case" is codeword for: "Yeah we're totally having Bethesda games be Xbox only exclusives to compete with Playsations"?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

It depends on where Microsoft will decide to take this merger. If they still allowed for some Bethesda games to be cross platform, then they could net even more money from say, every PS5 version of Elder Scrolls 6 sold, as they would receive a publisher cut from that. Or, they could make all of their future Bethesda titles solely exclusive to Xbox and PC, and further gain and attract more people to buy into their ecosystem and Game Pass. Or, they could potentially do both: Have some games, big or small, be cross platform, while keeping others soley in their stable. Perhaps a potential Dishonored 3, or the next Wolfenstein could be cross platform titles, while a bigger game like Doom 3 would be exclusive to Microsoft. Or, vice versa, have the heavy hitters be available to other platforms after a certain period of timed exclusivity, and make more money from more copies sold, and keep the smaller titles for yourself.

It's an interesting scenario to think about, and whatever way that Microsoft does move forward with this acquisition, they'll recoup that 7.5 spent rather quickly. Plus, they could easily spin this in the future to where, if Elder Scrolls 6 is $69.99 on PS5, since Microsoft now own that property, it'll be released day and date on Game Pass, you pay $9 for the service itself, and get ES6 for no extra charge.

It'll be very interesting and exciting to see how this all plays out over time.

#BotM

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Now Master Chief and the DOOM Slayer can hang out together even more.

https://twitter.com/ApexArtsIG/status/1 ... 82723?s=20

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

The only thing that concerns me is Arkane. I have little interest in the rest of Microsoft's new studios and IPs.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I'm thinking single player stuff like Elder Scrolls and Fallout will be Xbox exclusive where MP stuff will be crossplatform so the can have cross play.

But then again who knows. MS allowed Minecraft to go on Switch after they bought out Mojang along with Minecraft Dungeons on both Switch and I think PS4.
Last edited by gvamp on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I could definitely see them keeping big, big games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Doom totally exclusive. Honestly, I could see Microsoft keeping most of their newly acquired IPs exclusive to Xbox and PC, even if only timed for some of them. They’d make more money, and give people incentive to buy into Xbox, Game Pass, and Xcloud.

Minecraft is such a massive, massive brand, that it only made sense to allow it on other platforms. This however, I dunno, after thinking about it some more over the past two days, I couldn’t see MS dropping that much liquid cash to then turn around and continue allowing these games on other platforms.

#BotM

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'll be honestly shocked if the big names at Bethesda don't become exclusives. Microsoft could need some big exclusive games to compete with Sony's God of War and etc. and what game's bigger that stuff like Fallout or DOOM?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gigantis wrote:I'll be honestly shocked if the big names at Bethesda don't become exclusives. Microsoft could need some big exclusive games to compete with Sony's God of War and etc. and what game's bigger that stuff like Fallout or DOOM?
This.

There's no bigger games that could compete with PS exclusives than DOOM, Fallout, Wolfenstein, and Elder Scrolls.

This also means we can get a Master Chief skin in DOOM and likely vice versa. So sign me TF up.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Thing is though regardless of what platform these games come on MS still makes money off it. MS along with all console manufacturers don't make money on the systems themselves they make money on software and accessories. On top of that MS is basically adopting a PC approach to gaming and not the traditional hardware/console approach, they've even said they don't consider Sony a competitor but rather Google (Stadia) and Amazon.

If anything MS buying all these studios just means that they can make more money by licensing out these big name titles to other companies along with their own platform and still make money regardless of what platform its on.

PC Specs

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

They would have to pay someone like Sony with every PS5 version of say, Fallout 5, that was sold. Sure, Microsoft would get a publisher cut, but they would still need to give money to Sony, and I don’t think they would spend 7 billion dollars to turn right back around and give another platform money. With how many forms of entry into the Xbox ecosystem there is now, Microsoft can easily make a huge profit by having their big games remain on Xbox and PC, and Xcloud.

#BotM

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I said Mircrosoft made a dumb mistake with the naming, cause grandma and grandpa or any other none-gamer who is buying a gift for a game relative is not gonna know what the heck to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgpb3Zk7auY

God Nintendo learned from this mistake with the Wii U.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Living Corpse wrote:I said Mircrosoft made a dumb mistake with the naming, cause grandma and grandpa or any other none-gamer who is buying a gift for a game relative is not gonna know what the heck to get.
I'm (sort of, used to be) a gamer and even I'm confused by the naming.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I'm (sort of, used to be) a gamer and even I'm confused by the naming.
Part of me thinks Microsoft is being dumb, but another part of me thinks they did this on purpose to trick people into giving them more money. If the latter is true, jokes on them, people will just return the old one and bring little Timmy with them to point out which one is the new system.