Most Frustrating Gaming Experience

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Most Frustrating Gaming Experience

Post by Gigantis »

Just trying to pick up and play WWE Battlegrounds

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

holy_granoli
Ronin

Post by holy_granoli »

(Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity SPOILERS INCOMING)

Spoiler:
My 1st time playing the story mission in Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity called 'Each Step Like Thunder' was such a terrible time. I would even go so far as to say it was a downright traumatic experience. :cry:

Basically, this moment in the story portrays the scene in Breath of The Wild where Link dies protecting Zelda except this time, Zelda unlocks her goddess magic in time to rescue Link and defend Fort Hateno from the enemies. Not to mention, I get a completely new moveset showcasing her newfangled goddess powers! Siiick! :huge:
So now she could utterly devastate hordes of Blokoglins, save everything she cares about, and turn the tide in their most desperate hour...right?

Except I got absolutely BODIED by the sudden, most ruthless difficulty spike I've ever encountered. Like, wtf?? I thought she was supposed to be invincible now??? Like she could obliterate her enemies now without so much as a second glance???? What in the gotdam is going on here?????????????????????

Huuuge margin to permanently screw up the mission even after Zelda gets her abilities, 4 super-tough enemies (Silver Lynel and 3 elemental Guardians) & several Scruboblins simultaneously ganging up on me all while I'm learning to control Zelda with her newly acquired moveset. And the moveset is...unique.

I'm talking a 'powered-up' mode for Zel that completely removes her ability to block, do combos, and DODGE, FFS???. 3 of the most essential, bread-and-butter gameplay aspects, and they thought it was a good idea to have what was meant to be the most powerful character not even have a means of defending herself???? Like, are they f___ing HIGH??????? And her power mode attacks don't even begin to make up for the drawbacks. -_-

God, I just felt so robbed of such an epic and crucial moment of the story, where the hero finally gains the upper hand in the midst of a seemingly hopeless situation...and the cutscenes presented it as such. Instead I felt like a battered ragdoll being passed from one fanged jaw to the next. A spineless nematode mercilessly crushed under the hooves of hulking centaur-men. Isn't this the part of the game where I'm supposed to feel, i dunno... POWERFUL??.
After multiple failed retries, I eventually rage-quitted, feeling the heavy story implications of losing just as it seemed all was not lost. With the hope of all Hyrule resting on her shoulders, Zelda finally getting the much needed comeuppance she so rightfully deserves considering the events of BOTW, yet her clunky new moveset and the unforgiving enemy spawns and poorly timed checkpoints completely shafts the entire experience, at least for me. I even had to restart the whole mission b/c the checkpoint dropped me to a point where the Fort was already doomed. X_X

I can see this being an issue with me having to 'git gud' (I'm playing on hard difficulty) but you have to admit, some of what I've described has to be BS on the game's part. Like, make it challenging, and then from the point of Zelda's awakening onward, make it a cake-walk for the rest of the mission. Or they could at least not make it near-impossible for starters. :roll:

Anyway, big sorry for this lengthy rant and perhaps not explaining myself properly. Despite my obvious grievances, I still thoroughly enjoyed the rest of HWAoC and am eagerly waiting, but not expecting, to hear of new content in the future.
coughcoughplayableKasscoughcough
Tl:dr, Difficulty contradicts with the plot
Last edited by holy_granoli on Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Just finished Demon's Souls, which certainly had its moments. Two biggest ones are the Maneater boss fight and the Swamp of Sorrow. Every other challenging part of the game was at least somewhat fun for me. Maneater is a shitty boss fight because the arena is way too small and perilous (pretty sure it's the only one where you can get smacked off the edge and die) and fighting two of the fuckers at once is nigh-impossible. Took me four tries before I managed to separate them and kill 'em one at a time. The Swamp of Sorrow is a miserable level in general but the worst part is where you have to fight two giants at once on an island surrounded by toxic water; MUCH harder than the level's actual boss fight.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

War Thunder. Just the entire game. I love it to bits but it can get extremely frustrating.
For Emperor and Empire!

Elytron Frass
Ronin

Post by Elytron Frass »

On base PS4, as a lifepath Nomad, I completed every available gig, sidequest, and story mission (also completing all endings & secret ending). Didn't buy a single car however. I got this gmae in on 1/1/2021 so I must say I enjoy a better post-patch first impression than many, but for such a beatiful environment I found myself more dissapointed than frustrated about how few mysteries and npc interactivity there was. The story missions and some sidequests themselves were strong but most of the gig based content was redundant, unchallenging, and lazy. Was met with very few glitches, bugs, and crashes and honestly none of them bothered me. My issue was more with the bulk of the content feeling so hollow and dated. I doubt I'll ever revisit this game. 6/10

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

You know, game demos are supposed to offer a taste of the experience that is to come, and make people interested in buying the end product...

They are NOT meant to scare people away and make them break their controllers in half, CAPCOM! So why do you keep making the demo flagships so impossible to handle? Between the atrocious aerial hitboxes, the obscene damage, and the ungodly strict fifteen minute timer and the fact the damn cat thing spawns at the very far end of the map, it's just impossible for me to even take him down. Why does it have to be this backbreakingly hard and cheap?
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Honestly, a lot of Elden Ring. I was completely obsessed for most of 2022 but I've soured on the game a bit in the past couple months and finally stepped away from it. Part of it is general fatigue but I do think some parts of the game are so ridiculously difficult as to be obnoxious.

My #1 complaint about Elden Ring is that bosses have so damn many AOE attacks up their sleeves. I'd be okay with each of the big bosses having one of these attacks that they pull out once in awhile, but it feels like every major boss has several of them that they just spam relentlessly. Godfrey/Hoarah Loux is probably the worst offender. This was most likely added due the introduction of Spirit Ashes and increased focus on cooperative play but it makes many of the main bosses nigh-impossible if you don't have an ally. Beating FromSoft games solo, no summons, has been a fun challenge with the other titles I've played (Demon Souls, Bloodborne and DS3) but in ER, I had to summon either an Ash or a buddy if I didn't want to be stuck on every main boss for a week. "Git gud" was never this damn hard before, and I seriously think overpowered boss AOE attacks are 75% of the reason for that.

I'd also like to make special mention of the evergaol puzzle you have to solve just to get to Miquella's Haligtree. For fuck's fucking sake, what sadist designed that shit? If some sick bastard actually enjoys the challenge of getting arrow-spammed to death and backstabbed by invisible enemies while you try to scale buildings using clunky platforming mechanics, I'd be terrified to know what else they consider fun.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:01 amI'd also like to make special mention of the evergaol puzzle you have to solve just to get to Miquella's Haligtree. For fuck's fucking sake, what sadist designed that shit? If some sick bastard actually enjoys the challenge of getting arrow-spammed to death and backstabbed by invisible enemies while you try to scale buildings using clunky platforming mechanics, I'd be terrified to know what else they consider fun.
Malenia. :)

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Voyager wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:51 pm War Thunder. Just the entire game. I love it to bits but it can get extremely frustrating.
Two years later and it's still war thunder :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Ah, one of the most frustrating gaming experiences for 'ol MGB7503 was battling Jo Amon in Yakuza 5. He's this Matrix-looking secret boss in the majority of the series, but goddamn he was an absolute monster in Y5. I've defeated him in the other games, but everytime he's different. This time he was HYPER aggressive, would leave flames in his trails, if you backed away too far he'd rush to you with super speed, and was constantly in that rage mode that was popular in games back in the early 2010s. He practically had combos that could neither be blocked nor pushed through.

However....as Kiryu I persevered and eventually overcame this bastard. Best of all? I finished him with the legendary tiger drop, it was soooooooo satisfying. So, an overall frustrating experience still ended in a rewarding way. Great battle nonetheless, I must say.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos