Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
CrimsonBloodX
Interpol Agent

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

The first anime I watched was either Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z, but I didn't like them that much at the time. I liked Ponyo and Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl, but I never got into anime until my Sophomore year when I watched a lot of anime on Netflix on my Nintendo Wii. Shows such as Chobits, Okami-san and Her Seven Companions, Ghost Hunt, Chaos;Head and Heaven's lost Property were the ones I watched a lot during that time. Some of my most favorite anime are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Death Note, Deadman Wonderland and The Wind Rises.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

CrimsonBloodX wrote:The first anime I watched was either Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z, but I didn't like them that much at the time. I liked Ponyo and Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl, but I never got into anime until my Sophomore year when I watched a lot of anime on Netflix on my Nintendo Wii. Shows such as Chobits, Okami-san and Her Seven Companions, Ghost Hunt, Chaos;Head and Heaven's lost Property were the ones I watched a lot during that time. Some of my most favorite anime are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Death Note, Deadman Wonderland and The Wind Rises.
Have you seen Evangelion? You brought up Akira and Ghost in the shell. Evangelion is sort of like those two, not exactly but stem from a more inspired genre than a typical shonen story.

Evangelion IMO is on the list of "LSD Jellyfish's" required viewing of films and anime for Kaiju fans. I recently finished Godzilla the series ANIME ( :P ) so I might consider rewatching Evangelion in it's entirety.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Jetty_Jags
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I just watched the Eva Rebuilds (I watched NGE when it was released on Netflix, I know I didn't experience the true dub, yada yada), when they where posted on youtube a week or so ago (had to download my own subs though). Overall, I really liked them. No they aren't as good as the original, but I did enjoy them.

I was thoroughly entertained with 1.0 as I thought it was a good recap of the first few episodes, and I enjoy it in the same vein as Death^2 Truth or whatever its called. Also the Ramiel fight with the new music is brilliant (can't wait to see what Shiro Sagisu does for Shin Ultraman). Worth it just for that if nothing else.

While I didn't like the first act of 2.0, I really enjoyed the last two thirds. The further character development with Rei works really well in my opinion (especially since they change up the Shinji and Asuka behavioral dynamic anyways, full doll Rei only works to complement those two in the original series), and I loved the flipped ending. I see a lot of complaints for this one, and most of them seem to an amalgamation of two things. Specifically that Shinji's character isn't as deep, as well as Shinji's character isn't the same. So many complaints, to me at least, seem to complain that Rebuild Shinji is flatter by directly comparing his behavior to his nge. While I will say he's not as deep (mainly due to the time restrictions), he's fundamentally a different character than in nge, so saying that he doesn't exhibit these same trait seems to me like saying this chocolate ice cream isn't as rich because it's not strawberry. Now, there's nothing wrong with not liking this change either, I just don't think he's as flat as people say.

The third film is definitely weird. I'm not so sold on what I'd call the aesthetic change, but besides that I liked that Kaworu got more development, and how it tires to be introspective (it doesn't always succeed). I also went into this one knowing I would have no idea whats going on, so that helped.

Now there are some things I disliked. Mari is clearly just fan service. I honestly hope 3.0 + 1.0 develops her more just so she isn't totally devoid of substance. Maybe its the sunken cost fallacy in me, but I'd like to think that the time spent on her in previous films is not for waste. Oh well.

I'm also curious as to how much my enjoyment comes from carrying over my knowledge of the original series. I'd be curious as to my reactions had I not known what happened in the original show.

Also just watched Ghost in the Shell (its free on youtube at the moment with Subs) highly recommend that.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

cloverfan98 wrote:I'm trying to get into the Ghost in the shell franchise and I'm a little confused. I've seen the original movie and am watching stand alone complex. Is there a prequel to stand alone complex? Whats the viewing order?
I've only seen the original film myself, but as far as I know, SAC stands on its own (although I'm hearing that the new Netflix show works as a loose sequel). There might be some connected movies/OVAs, but those might be compilations.
The original film and 2.0: Innocence have their own canon, I believe, as does the ARISE series. I really need to get back into the franchise sometime.

My first anime was Spirited Away, shown to me without warning by some friends. I had never been interested in anime before; but that film, plus some other shows/circumstances, convinced me to give it a try.
For better or worse, Neon Genesis Evangelion was my first pick for a TV anime (I blame the SHMA prototypes - I was like, "there are kaiju in anime?!"). NGE is not an easy show to get into, and if you dig through this thread or the Evangelion thread, you can probably see my posts about how confused/frustrated I was; but it fascinated me all the same, and I do recommend giving it at least one try.
Some other titles I started with were Bleach (meh), Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (not bad), Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions (liked it right away), and a number of Miyazaki/Ghibli films (generally good to great).

I'm not watching much right now, but I am enjoying season 2 of Kaguya-sama: Love Is War, and I'm checking out a decently goofy show called Sabagebu! as well (I'll leave you with this and let you judge). I also started reading the manga for 3-gatsu no Lion and have been gobbling it up - OH BOY do I want a third season now.

...And for those of you who watched SSSS.GRIDMAN:
Trigger's SSSS.Dynazenon Anime Reveals Cast, Visual

CrimsonBloodX
Interpol Agent

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
CrimsonBloodX wrote:The first anime I watched was either Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z, but I didn't like them that much at the time. I liked Ponyo and Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl, but I never got into anime until my Sophomore year when I watched a lot of anime on Netflix on my Nintendo Wii. Shows such as Chobits, Okami-san and Her Seven Companions, Ghost Hunt, Chaos;Head and Heaven's lost Property were the ones I watched a lot during that time. Some of my most favorite anime are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Death Note, Deadman Wonderland and The Wind Rises.
Have you seen Evangelion? You brought up Akira and Ghost in the shell. Evangelion is sort of like those two, not exactly but stem from a more inspired genre than a typical shonen story.

Evangelion IMO is on the list of "LSD Jellyfish's" required viewing of films and anime for Kaiju fans. I recently finished Godzilla the series ANIME ( :P ) so I might consider rewatching Evangelion in it's entirety.
Oh yeah, I watched the first two Rebuild of Evangelion films back in 2014 when Toonami was airing them. I have yet to see 3.0 and I'm looking forward to 3.0+1.0. But I didn't see the original Neon Genesis Evangelion show or The End of Evangelion until last year when they were both added on Netflix. I really enjoyed the show. The End of Evangelion is good, but I actually prefer the show's ending despite it's cheesy "Congratulations!" scene. I haven't seen the first two Rebuild films since they were shown on Toonami. I'm thinking about buying Blu-rays for the three movies and watch them before 3.0+1.0 comes out.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

CrimsonBloodX wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Oh yeah, I watched the first two Rebuild of Evangelion films back in 2014 when Toonami was airing them. I have yet to see 3.0 and I'm looking forward to 3.0+1.0. But I didn't see the original Neon Genesis Evangelion show or The End of Evangelion until last year when they were both added on Netflix. I really enjoyed the show. The End of Evangelion is good, but I actually prefer the show's ending despite it's cheesy "Congratulations!" scene. I haven't seen the first two Rebuild films since they were shown on Toonami. I'm thinking about buying Blu-rays for the three movies and watch them before 3.0+1.0 comes out.
To be honest, the Rebuild of Evangelion films aren't as good as the original anime. I think it says something that Anno abandoned the series to make shin lol.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I tend to believe the rebuild films are a sequel to the original series and not a remake or anything like that.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^Supposedly, based on recent publications by Anno himself (following the continued scandals behind Studio Gainax's management), the Rebuild films might have started as a completely original project; but ultimately Anno felt he was repeating ideas already done in Evangelion, so he just adapted it straight to an Evangelion remake.

Personally, I've enjoyed the Rebuild films; but I do hope 3.0+1.0 finishes soon so Anno can truly free himself from the franchise. The poor man seems to be stuck in a rut.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Rody wrote:Personally, I've enjoyed the Rebuild films; but I do hope 3.0+1.0 finishes soon so Anno can truly free himself from the franchise. The poor man seems to be stuck in a rut.
Well, that one was supposed to come out this June, but of course due to the current circumstances it had to be postponed.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Jetty_Jags
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jetty_Jags »

While this is an old article, I hope it doesn't still reflect Anno's current opinion on the franchise. https://web.archive.org/web/20161209231 ... /03/000006

I'm all for Anno expanding. We have eva, we have numerous eva variations in different media, I want to see him do something new. Whether its continuing being a creative piece in what's looking like a shin anthology, or just something brand new.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun May 10, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I want to see him do comedy again - His abd Her Circumstances was absolutely GOLDEN in its best moments.

CrimsonBloodX
Interpol Agent

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Just a few days ago, I started watching this anime called Triage X. I just finished watching the last episode and it's pretty good. It's only 10 episodes long, so I didn't have to spend too much time on it like so many other anime TV shows.

But aside from Triage X, I haven't been watching a lot of anime. I watched Fate/Zero last November and I enjoyed it. I really should get back to Fate series. Hell, I should get back to watching more anime in general. I have a huge list of anime shows that I'm planning on watching.

Added in 3 months 2 days 17 hours 43 minutes 4 seconds:
KissAnime and KissManga get shut down.

https://geekculture.co/pirate-streaming ... on-piracy/

I never used these sites, so I'm not that upset, but a lot of anime and manga fans are.

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

You know what has been getting on my nerves lately? In most anime, manga and to an extent, video games from Japan, sword wielders use either katana blades, or comically oversized swords the size of a person's body (I.e Guts from Berserk, Cloud from FFVII, Sanosuke Sagara from Ruroni Kenshin ect). The former is understandable, because that's the culture the katana originated in, but seeing the latter time and time again makes me want to see more variety. I mean come on, what happed to the good ol' broadsword as wielded by a European knight?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Firestorm
Yojimbo

Post by Firestorm »

New decades need new recommendations and this recommendation chart for mecha anime sure is somethin'.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Firestorm wrote:New decades need new recommendations and this recommendation chart for mecha anime sure is somethin'.

You'd think I'd like mecha anime, but as of now I've only watched like 2, Gunbuster and Knight's & Magic. I guess Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan sorta counts, but only on the pickiest of technicalities.

Firestorm
Yojimbo

Post by Firestorm »

Sharing 3x3s and 6x6s. Starting with my anime 3x3

Character 3x3 features top three neutrals, heroes, and villains

Anime 6x6 is just my top 36

And finally my mecha 6x6, each one number one on a list of at least 15, some ranging beyond 100!

G-Force Personnel

Firestorm wrote:Sharing 3x3s and 6x6s. Starting with my anime 3x3Image
Character 3x3 features top three neutrals, heroes, and villainsImage
Anime 6x6 is just my top 36Image
And finally my mecha 6x6, each one number one on a list of at least 15, some ranging beyond 100Image
That's a nice 3x3 format you got there, be a shame if someone shamelessly ripped it off...
Finding just the right stills for this was a pain. I'd have done a 6x6, but that would be like 80% of the anime I've watched. Also I only did anime series or Nausicaa and Castle of Cagliostro would have been here somewhere. I'll have to give a favorite character list some more thought, but in the mean time feel free to berate my terrible taste.

Added in 13 hours 58 minutes 3 seconds:
Here's a movie I just caught on YouTube, Roujin Z. Quite the unusual concept, and a pretty fun ride. Not really sure how to pitch it, but there's a cute nurse and a fair amount of mecha/robot action, albeit hardly the traditional kind. Give it a whirl if you've got 84 minutes
Last edited by Gomi: Ninja Monster on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firestorm
Yojimbo

Post by Firestorm »

Tell me Gomi, you wants some recs? I got a bunch.

G-Force Personnel

Firestorm wrote:Tell me Gomi, you wants some recs? I got a bunch.
To be completely honest I consume anime really erratically, so my watchlist rarely gets much of a dent put into it. However if you don't mind not necessarily hearing from me about them for a while, I'd be happy to add some more stuff to the list. Watcha got?

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I really wish Marvel would release their anime series' on Blu-Ray. The Blade, Wolverine, X-Men, etc. anime series' are DVD only ATM.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"