The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by _JNavs_ »

Wonder who was in the Lucasfilm storyboard office when they decided on reviving the Empire after the last film destroyed them, turning every iconic classic hero into a junk trader, failed parental figure, or hermit, after they ended the last film filled with hope, and deciding the best way to revive the franchise, would be to say rebellions that are built on hope mean absolutely nothing when there's authoritarian militaries always around the corner to stomp on throats and keep you in line. There's no new storytelling there and all it does is degrade what came before. Same with Palpatines pickle jar clone revival that destroyed the poetic prophecy of Anakin and Luke.

Also, I see people think Phasma had some kinda Boba role? Phasma was snuck up on, snitched, and got tossed into a trash compactor, Boba was a well known bounty hunter who had numerous run ins with Han the galaxy renowned smuggler, before handing him over to Jabba after working for Lord Vader.

A friend of mine brought up these points while we were playing BF2 earlier, so it revived those critiques.

Added in 13 minutes 39 seconds:
Anyway, Dean Foster who ghost wrote the original Star Wars story recently said while he was working on The Force Awakens graphic novelization, that there were in fact beginnings of a relationship between Rey and Finn, but Disney told him to remove those elements as they were not seen in the film.

Because god forbid we get some genuine emotion and character development for Rey and Finn.

Added in 8 minutes 9 seconds:
I also find it ironic how many newer fans turned a blind eye when Boyega was attacked by ST fanatics and Disney Lucasfilm fans for speaking his mind about those films. Everything from racist remarks to childish retorts to "Disney gave you a career", similar to what's going on with WB and Ray Fisher.

It sure as hell wasn't the same SW fans spoken of on the last page. So like I said, every fandom is "toxic" from primitive sports to modern techies.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

People who ignore Bodega are fucking cowards and assholes. Man was single handedly fucked over by BOTH films after TFA and he deserved so much more.

Phasma is the Boba stand in to people because she's a higher mook in a cool armor, but like you said, she didn't have the character or skills to justify it or a deconstruction humiliating defeat. TR-8R was a better Boba :lol:

RIP Evan.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:12 amsimilar to what's going on with WB and Ray Fisher.
While I didn't/don't really follow much of what's going on with Bodega, the thing with Fisher is really easy to follow. The dude is pissed off because he thought he was going to have a career playing the role of Cyborg, thought he was going to have a spinoff, etc etc etc. And then Justice League virtually flopped and he started pointing fingers at Wheedon. He literally thought he was going to be the next Samuel L. Jackson or something because of the DCEU. And he wanted an easy pass to do it.

Sorry, don't buy it. Wheedon has been in the business for decades, been involved with Marvel since Phase One and had a tremendous amount of work done in the 1990's. And NOW we're hearing how he's such a bad boss? Fisher can fuck right the hell off. I'd have loved to hear what he would of had to say if he had to work under a filmmaker like Stanley Kubrick whom was notorious for taking his cast and crew to the brink to get the results he wanted for his pictures.

Ray Fisher can fuck right the hell off.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:52 pm People who ignore Bodega are skreeonking cowards and assholes. Man was single handedly skreeonked over by BOTH films after TFA and he deserved so much more.

Phasma is the Boba stand in to people because she's a higher mook in a cool armor, but like you said, she didn't have the character or skills to justify it or a deconstruction humiliating defeat. TR-8R was a better Boba :lol:
I can't believe they took such a cool idea like a renegade stormtrooper and essentially put his entire character arc on pause for the next 2 films. Then some people want to blame him for wanting more screen time... Lucasfilm basically put the spotlight ONLY on Rey and Kylo, forgetting that they had numerous other characters to at least try and develop. I'd be mad too, even if Disney calls him again, it'll just look like they're doing it to soothe the masses.

I loved TR-8R I need his return asap. He's the one character who showed the most anger and sword skill across all 3 films :lol:, it wouldn't be far fetched either since we've gotten numerous thought-dead characters back from the OT and PT.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:18 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:12 amsimilar to what's going on with WB and Ray Fisher.
While I didn't/don't really follow much of what's going on with Bodega, the thing with Fisher is really easy to follow. The dude is pissed off because he thought he was going to have a career playing the role of Cyborg, thought he was going to have a spinoff, etc etc etc. And then Justice League virtually flopped and he started pointing fingers at Wheedon. He literally thought he was going to be the next Samuel L. Jackson or something because of the DCEU. And he wanted an easy pass to do it.

Sorry, don't buy it. Wheedon has been in the business for decades, been involved with Marvel since Phase One and had a tremendous amount of work done in the 1990's. And NOW we're hearing how he's such a bad boss? Fisher can skreeonk right the hell off. I'd have loved to hear what he would of had to say if he had to work under a filmmaker like Stanley Kubrick whom was notorious for taking his cast and crew to the brink to get the results he wanted for his pictures.

Ray Fisher can skreeonk right the hell off.
It's not just Fisher who had a problem and not just with Whendon apparently.

Added in 2 minutes 41 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:43 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:52 pm People who ignore Bodega are skreeonking cowards and assholes. Man was single handedly skreeonked over by BOTH films after TFA and he deserved so much more.

I can't believe they took such a cool idea like a renegade stormtrooper and essentially put his entire character arc on pause for the next 2 films. Then some people want to blame him for wanting more screen time... Lucasfilm basically put the spotlight ONLY on Rey and Kylo, forgetting that they had numerous other characters to at least try and develop. I'd be mad too, even if Disney calls him again, it'll just look like they're doing it to soothe the masses.

I loved TR-8R I need his return asap. He's the one character who showed the most anger and sword skill across all 3 films :lol:, it wouldn't be far fetched either since we've gotten numerous thought-dead characters back from the OT and PT.
I still don't see why people thought Finn was mis marketed. I saw since Day 1 Finn was being used that way because they wanted Rey to be the suprise hero. The closer than film got to release the more they move her forward in marketing. Finn from Day 1 was never the main character.

Now should he have been though absolutely.

And if Disney wanted a character like Rey why didn't they just use Jaina Solo?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:43 pm I can't believe they took such a cool idea like a renegade stormtrooper and essentially put his entire character arc on pause for the next 2 films.
I can't believe they botched that concept before the first act of The Force Awakens even finished.

"My friend just got shot by that rebel... I have his blood on my helmet. Now we're roasting people alive with flamethrowers? This senseless killing is all horrible!"

*a few in-universe hours later*

"WOOO! I just blew up a tie fighter and killed one of my former lifelong comrads! Didchya see that? DIDCHYA SEE THAT???"

God, I hate the writing in these movies...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

So beyond continuing sequel criticism, I'll be picking up Light of the Jedi later today and I am very excited to read it! I've always been a Jedi fan, and I am excited to read a story where they are the heroes that Obi-Wan first spoke of back in '77.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Just finished part one of Light of the Jedi, and I gotta say this book is fantastic so far. Anyone who is a fan of the Jedi should read it, the world is very compelling and feels both familiar and totally separate from the rest of Star Wars.

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

You know, I've been thinking about it, and since The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special aired, there's really no point in continuing to be a Star Wars fan. They've canonically overwritten the core properties of the franchise (PT, OT and ST), and provided no out - no point at which the timeline is reset - nor have they provided a new alternate history for us to track. At this point, the Skywalker saga, and any stories that follow from them, are just movies/books/comics/etc about things that never really happened.

So I'm gonna get rid of all my Star Wars stuff. I'll sell it to some idiot who thinks it's still real.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

eabaker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:33 pm You know, I've been thinking about it, and since The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special aired, there's really no point in continuing to be a Star Wars fan. They've canonically overwritten the core properties of the franchise (PT, OT and ST), and provided no out - no point at which the timeline is reset - nor have they provided a new alternate history for us to track. At this point, the Skywalker saga, and any stories that follow from them, are just movies/books/comics/etc about things that never really happened.

So I'm gonna get rid of all my Star Wars stuff. I'll sell it to some idiot who thinks it's still real.
My apologies for potentially misunderstanding, but... is this sarcasm? Regardless of what new stuff they come out with, the old stuff that you were a fan of will never be gone. It's still there to be loved. Not to mention, none of it was ever "real" in the first place, so you can decide which stories to pay attention to and which ones to not pay attention to...

Though you could also be making fun of someone else, I apologize if I can't tell the difference.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Shoopwoop17 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:16 am
eabaker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:33 pm You know, I've been thinking about it, and since The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special aired, there's really no point in continuing to be a Star Wars fan. They've canonically overwritten the core properties of the franchise (PT, OT and ST), and provided no out - no point at which the timeline is reset - nor have they provided a new alternate history for us to track. At this point, the Skywalker saga, and any stories that follow from them, are just movies/books/comics/etc about things that never really happened.

My apologies for potentially misunderstanding, but... is this sarcasm? Regardless of what new stuff they come out with, the old stuff that you were a fan of will never be gone. It's still there to be loved. Not to mention, none of it was ever "real" in the first place, so you can decide which stories to pay attention to and which ones to not pay attention to...

Though you could also be making fun of someone else, I apologize if I can't tell the difference.
Sarcasm?

Sarcasm???

SARCASM???

Never heard of it...
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:12 am
Shoopwoop17 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:16 am

Sarcasm?

Sarcasm???

SARCASM???

Never heard of it...
Gotcha, me neither :lol:

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Just finished Light of the Jedi, it's fantastic. If you've ever wanted the Jedi to be the legendary warriors Obi-Wan spoke about, this book is for you. The villains are compelling, the setting is fantastic, and the setup for the future is very interesting.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Corridor Crew, who have been doing neat "VFX React" videos for a least a couple of years now, just recently did an episode especially for The Mandalorian Season 2, featuring the big reveal shot at the end of the show, of course; but also a couple of other cool shots that I had overlooked myself.
Spoiler:
I read somewhere that Disney spent $10-15 million per episode for this show. I can certainly believe it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Gina Carano is officially fired from The Mandalorian.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Was on my way to say this. For saying stupid shit over and over by the way.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

> Say dumb shit on social media
> Get told multiple times to stop saying dumb shit on social media
> Force Jon Favreau to call in favors with the executives to give you another chance
> Make a joke comparing yourself to a Jewish person during the Holocaust
> Forget that Jon Favreau (aka the man who risked political capital to bat for you) is Jewish

He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:58 am > Say dumb poop on social media
> Get told multiple times to stop saying dumb poop on social media
> Force Jon Favreau to call in favors with the executives to give you another chance
> Make a joke comparing yourself to a Jewish person during the Holocaust
> Forget that Jon Favreau (aka the man who risked political capital to bat for you) is Jewish

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Funny how Trump supporters are all for cancel culture when they agree with it.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

A guy I thought was a friend just told that conservatives have been discriminated in the US and Gina Carano is proof.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image