The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

To butt into the Luke discussion, I'm not that piffed about them CGI-ing his face to look like Hamill. The real issue, to me, is that they didn't use his voice. Even if Hamill's voice is too obviously aged, there's multiple amazing impersonators they could've used. Couple that with the James Dean Vietnam War movie that got annnounced a year or two ago and you have the set-up for a really bleak future.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:36 pm To butt into the Luke discussion, I'm not that piffed about them CGI-ing his face to look like Hamill. The real issue, to me, is that they didn't use his voice. Even if Hamill's voice is too obviously aged, there's multiple amazing impersonators they could've used. Couple that with the James Dean Vietnam War movie that got annnounced a year or two ago and you have the set-up for a really bleak future.
Finding Jack got canceled last I heard.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:49 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:36 pm To butt into the Luke discussion, I'm not that piffed about them CGI-ing his face to look like Hamill. The real issue, to me, is that they didn't use his voice. Even if Hamill's voice is too obviously aged, there's multiple amazing impersonators they could've used. Couple that with the James Dean Vietnam War movie that got annnounced a year or two ago and you have the set-up for a really bleak future.
Finding Jack got canceled last I heard.
Really? Good.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'd love for George Lucas to take/be given the opportunity to make one last re-evaluation of his original Saga and to attempt to make the closest thing to a "Final Version" as possible.

Episode 1-3 would likely not receive many adjustments outside of minor tweaks here and there....and because of the nature of how they were produced, 4K upscales are about the only 4K presentations that could ever exist of those films(although the 4K discs still look quite markedly better than the Blu Rays)

With the original trilogy...I feel that if he gave them another appraisal, there are some adjustments he would make. Doing the sort of "4K Rebuild from the ground up" would be a nice thing. Do to the revisions of the films, you sometimes have 70s/80s grade VFX in one scene, mixed with late 90s VFX in another scene, and mid 00s VFX in another scene.

It would be nice(costly and time consuming as well, that fact isn't lost on me) if he went back to ALL of the most original elements and sources(Lucas DID and has always kept and preserved everything in a big, deep Lucasfilm archive...which is how they were able to find the footage they used in Rogue One of the original film's X-wing pilots) and rebuilt the films entirely at a 4K or even 6K resolution.

You could get all 6 films with 100% matching opening crawl and ending credits(in terms of font size and speed)....all of the VFX could be re-finished, fine tuned or in some cases replaced all in one process so that everything ends up consistent. We could hope for things like lightsaber effects to be consistent across all of the films...the 'frame jumps' in the original film when doors open and sabers turn on could very likely be massaged and corrected, or even cut around.

We could always hope that in some cases Lucas might smooth other inconsistencies over. Maybe he would finally change his mind about Greedo shooting first. He originally put Jabba in A New Hope to give him some kind of introduction before he appeared in Return of the Jedi....but since this is a 6 film Saga and Jabba is introduced in Episode 1....forcing him into Episode 4 makes little sense. It structurally is also more interesting if Jabba is only present in the first and last film.

It would be nice to get Morrison to do some more effective line readings for Boba Fett in Empire, and to have him do the laugh and scream in Return of the Jedi as well, for what that is worth.

Overall....it would be cool to simply get George to take a final appraisal of his 6 films and really complete his Saga in a way that gives as much of a unified and consistent presentation of all of the films.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Mandalorian season 3 is wrapped.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got done with part one of the Clone Wars finale. I had tears in my eyes at a point or two, there, not gonna lie. I didn't realize they were going to up the budget and do another movie to close out on, but I'm so glad they did. It's drop dead gorgeous visually, and the callbacks to the original CW movie took me straight back to 2008 MAXIMUM HYPE mode. Just wow. I'll watch the rest tomorrow...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:30 pm Mandalorian season 3 is wrapped.
I can't wait for Mandalorian season to start up again. Always my favorite time of the year.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^They should've just made The Boba Fett show the third season of Mando.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:18 pm ^They should've just made The Boba Fett show the third season of Mando.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Either way they shouldn’t have ditched Baby Yoda’s character arc like that in the Book of Boba Fett. His story should have ended with the Jedi.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Spuro wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:28 pm Either way they shouldn’t have ditched Baby Yoda’s character arc like that in the Book of Boba Fett. His story should have ended with the Jedi.
Grogu has plenty of time left to learn the ways of the force intimately. He wants to be Finn Djarin for now. Luke Skywalker knew this and slightly urged him to go.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:25 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:18 pm ^They should've just made The Boba Fett show the third season of Mando.
What's that supposed to indicate?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:47 pm
Maverick Centigrade wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:25 pm
What's that supposed to indicate?
That your opinion is correct.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

No they shouldn't have. The story was fine the way it is.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It is done, then. Umm... I dunno, it was a mixed bag. The second episode was phenomenal, but things slipped a bit after that. Some killer action, but it really kinda fell into that Disney habit of overdoing the action at the expense of everything else. I feel like they did it on purpose, too, minimizing the amount of time our heroes spend taking in the horror of their situation and keeping things as light and unemotional as possible. My favorite thing about Clone Wars was its shockingly unbreakable spine, but Disney let it crack right at the end there, right when it mattered the most. We got a nice trailer for the Ahsoka show, though. And that final scene was powerful.

EDIT: Rex in particular got screwed over. The whole show had been asking him questions and building toward making him not just another brainwashed clone, but a man who thinks for himself and makes his own decisions. But that might have gotten complex and messy once Order 66 came down, and Disney couldn't have that, could they? So they brought in the brain chips that take all agency away from the clones, removing all shades of grey from the equation. The clones are still our heroic good guys, it's just mean ol' Sidious forcing their hands that makes them kill Jedi. So Rex flips like a light switch and tries to kill Ahsoka because he physically can't stop himself, and she saves him, and he spends the rest of the story asking her what he should do next, not making his own decisions. He's even willing to kill his own brothers because they're just the brainwashed, unthinking enemy now, with helmets on at all times so we don't have to look them in the eye. It's just another fight to survive, not Rex giving up everything he's ever known to forge his own path. Just shoot stuff and get out, and seriously guys, look how cool and powerful Ahsoka is now. Bet you wanna watch her new show, don't ya?
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The above posts probably sound more bitter than I actually am. The overall continuity of the Clone Wars is such a trainwreck and Disney Star Wars is so consistently bland that I don't actually care much. My attitude towards it all is just to roll with the punches and have what fun I can with the franchise. It is what it is.

Now that I have Clone Wars wrapped up, I went ahead and started season two of Rebels; I'd watched S1 back in 2020. I'm five episodes in so far, and it's good. I enjoyed Vader's appearance, I loved the retired clones'* AT-TE mobile home, and the Seventh Sister is very quickly becoming one of my favorite Star Wars villains. The Inquisitors in general are a really cool idea.

* It's interesting that the clones actually appear to have been allowed to retire. I don't know what to make of that. I'd assumed Rex and the other two were going to be deserters trying to lay low, but clearly the Empire was on good terms with them. I'd always figured that the clones would be either worked to death (the '05 Battlefront 2 game had the 501st still in service during the Battle of Endor) or at least kept in government retirement homes where they'd be out of the way. Letting them go free seems uncharacteristically nice for the Empire. I can't complain that the poor guys got a happy ending, but after all this time I also have Nute Gunray in my head griping that "This isn't how it's supposed to be!" :lol:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:45 am The above posts probably sound more bitter than I actually am. The overall continuity of the Clone Wars is such a trainwreck and Disney Star Wars is so consistently bland that I don't actually care much. My attitude towards it all is just to roll with the punches and have what fun I can with the franchise. It is what it is.

Now that I have Clone Wars wrapped up, I went ahead and started season two of Rebels; I'd watched S1 back in 2020. I'm five episodes in so far, and it's good. I enjoyed Vader's appearance, I loved the retired clones'* AT-TE mobile home, and the Seventh Sister is very quickly becoming one of my favorite Star Wars villains. The Inquisitors in general are a really cool idea.

* It's interesting that the clones actually appear to have been allowed to retire. I don't know what to make of that. I'd assumed Rex and the other two were going to be deserters trying to lay low, but clearly the Empire was on good terms with them. I'd always figured that the clones would be either worked to death (the '05 Battlefront 2 game had the 501st still in service during the Battle of Endor) or at least kept in government retirement homes where they'd be out of the way. Letting them go free seems uncharacteristically nice for the Empire. I can't complain that the poor guys got a happy ending, but after all this time I also have Nute Gunray in my head griping that "This isn't how it's supposed to be!" :lol:
Rex is a deserter, the Bad Batch explains the Clone situation.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:15 pm Rex is a deserter, the Bad Batch explains the Clone situation.
Fascinating. After the Rebels episode, I was operating under the assumption that he just went back to the Republic since there weren't any witnesses left to report his treason. Sounds like they wrote themselves some hoops to have to jump through, but I guess I'll find out. I'll watch TBB after I finish Rebels.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:28 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:15 pm Rex is a deserter, the Bad Batch explains the Clone situation.
Fascinating. After the Rebels episode, I was operating under the assumption that he just went back to the Republic since there weren't any witnesses left to report his treason. Sounds like they wrote themselves some hoops to have to jump through, but I guess I'll find out. I'll watch TBB after I finish Rebels.
Canonically he's the old man on endor in ROTJ now. So he joins the rebellion at some point.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Yeah, it explains the Clone situation much better than Rebels did. The animated series seem like they give just enough info about characters so they can go back and explain it in another series.

Added in 25 seconds:
darthzilla99 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:41 pm
Canonically he's the old man on endor in ROTJ now. So he joins the rebellion at some point.
I think the Nik Saint vs Rex thing is actually still up for debate.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image