The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by mikelcho »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:43 am
mikelcho wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:27 am
Spuro wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:30 pm

They also gave the sarlaac a dumb beak. :evil:

But really the MAIN problem with the special editions, bigger than anything else listed here, is that they've essentially replaced the original versions, which aren't available on Blu-Ray and only have a single, poorly transferred DVD release.
Are you talking about the DVD releases of the first six films that each have both the original versions and the 1997 Special Edition versions? I gave those to my brother Brian when they were first released and not only does he still have them, but they're all in excellent shape.

In fact, I think there are at least two major scenes still missing from at least two of those versions that I know of - the good-bye scene between Luke and Biggs on Tattooine in Episode 4: A New Hope (thus explaining Luke's later statement "Biggs is right, I'm never gonna get out of here!") and the scene where Wampas are attacking the Rebel base on Hoth from the inside at the same time the Imperial forces are attacking it from the outside in Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back.
The 1997 versions have never been released on dvd or later media. The prequels have never been released with a second disc including original theatrical version (that was only the original three films; i.e. 4-6). The history of Star Wars home video releases and the many changes made with each new release is long and confusing. And this is not a slight at all against any user here but it really kinda pisses me off at how much mis-information and confusion there is over what version of Star Wars is what. Just reading this thread and all the questions/confusion demonstrates we have reached the point many like myself have feared was coming. Most people don’t know the difference. Many people aren’t even aware there is a difference and those who are aware very often have the facts wrong.

It’s become in some small way Orwell’s 1984 come to life. Obfuscate and confuse the truth and history long enough and people will not even know the “truth” they are told isn’t true at all.

Oh, and the two scenes you mention (Biggs on Tatooine and the wampas in Echo Base) are deleted scenes that have never been included in any version of Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back.
I made a mistake on my last post and fixed it. That should help you in explaining my brother's six DVD releases, which, I just found out, are the 2004 Star Wars: The Complete Saga DVD releases.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue May 10, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

When it comes to the topic of the special editions, I highly encourage any dedicated Star Wars fan to give this video a watch. It is absurdly comprehensive and nuanced.

"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:16 pm George Lucas removed Natalie Portman's nipples from the aotc home release.
Bastard!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Malchik wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:15 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:16 pm George Lucas removed Natalie Portman's nipples from the aotc home release.
Bastard!
I bet there still in his cut of episode II lol.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Bastard!
I don't know...aren't they totally somewhat slightly visible in the film in her white, form fitting outfit? I saw that movie a few times in theaters as a 10 year old and I don't particularly recall them being visible to begin with. I even saw it when they re-released it in IMAX, so basically the biggest screen you can see it on. Hard to imagine the film would have gotten a PG rating if they were overtly visible.

It is a creepy thing to say but unless I get some proof with pictures I'm not really going to believe this as more than a myth.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Chrispy_G wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:45 pm
Bastard!
I don't know...aren't they totally somewhat slightly visible in the film in her white, form fitting outfit? I saw that movie a few times in theaters as a 10 year old and I don't particularly recall them being visible to begin with. I even saw it when they re-released it in IMAX, so basically the biggest screen you can see it on. Hard to imagine the film would have gotten a PG rating if they were overtly visible.

It is a creepy thing to say but unless I get some proof with pictures I'm not really going to believe this as more than a myth.
Fans on a Star Wars message board made a list of every change made to the first 6 star wars films and one of the only changes listed from Aotc from theater to u ray was Padme's nipples were made less visible in home media.

As aotc is 20 years old and I was a kid back then I can't remember the theater edit of the film.

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/is- ... .17510926/

Another fourm were it was discussed.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:04 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:45 pm
Bastard!

Fans on a Star Wars message board made a list of every change made to the first 6 star wars films and one of the only changes listed from Aotc from theater to u ray was Padme's nipples were made less visible in home media.

As aotc is 20 years old and I was a kid back then I can't remember the theater edit of the film.

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/is- ... .17510926/

Another fourm were it was discussed.
I mean MAYBE. Set photos confirm that the threading/seams on her outfit always conveniently overlapped with where her nipples were, there are set photos with no indication of doctoring that show an opacity level that seems consistent with the film. Heck, to an extent they were always semi-visible. I think there is a bit of a Mandela effect going on where people are sort of choosing to remember some kind of 'ultra pokey' version in theaters, when it was probably a combination of their young minds, over-active imaginations, and fuzzy memories.

Of course, naturally on a giant theater screen vs standard def DVD....there probably was a bit of an element of "OMG they were SO noticeable in theaters" thing going on due to the actual difference in clarity and detail between the two formats, but again, probably more memory than anything.

I had family members growing up who were 100% convinced that the original version of Return of the Jedi "Showed more" of Leia in the Gold Bikini, when there is no evidence of such re-editing or alterations.

Again, Attack of the Clones was rated PG in 2002, if there was some sort of 'pushing the boundaries' element of poking nipples, I doubt a PG rating would have been possible.

I just don't buy it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm still chipping away at Rebels. I'm up to the episode with Zeb and the prophecy. It and its predecessor, with the Protectors of Concord Dawn, were both good, but also irritated me a little. Star Wars needs more nobody, everyman characters. They can still become great heroes/villains and do amazing things, but they can do it on their own. Sabine, for example, doesn't need to be related to major Clone Wars figure Pre Vizla. She could just be any Mandalorian; that's special identity enough, really. Zeb had enough 'interest factor' by being the last of his kind, and making him a Force-sensitive(?) prophesized chosen one was unneeded. Kannon is a surviving Jedi, and therefore already a big deal. Why make him two steps removed from a main Prequel character by establishing Mace Windu's former Padawan as his Master? Doing stuff like that shrinks the galaxy and interferes with suspension of disbelief. We need more Hans and Landos that just kinda bumble their way into becoming someone special.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:23 am I'm still chipping away at Rebels. I'm up to the episode with Zeb and the prophecy. It and its predecessor, with the Protectors of Concord Dawn, were both good, but also irritated me a little. Star Wars needs more nobody, everyman characters. They can still become great heroes/villains and do amazing things, but they can do it on their own. Sabine, for example, doesn't need to be related to major Clone Wars figure Pre Vizla. She could just be any Mandalorian; that's special identity enough, really. Zeb had enough 'interest factor' by being the last of his kind, and making him a Force-sensitive(?) prophesized chosen one was unneeded. Kannon is a surviving Jedi, and therefore already a big deal. Why make him two steps removed from a main Prequel character by establishing Mace Windu's former Padawan as his Master? Doing stuff like that shrinks the galaxy and interferes with suspension of disbelief. We need more Hans and Landos that just kinda bumble their way into becoming someone special.
Sabine is not relates the Pre Vizla, her family was just apart of his tribe that he was the leader on. It will make more sense why later.

Zeb I won't spoil for you either.

As for Kannon however I disagree. Him being Deppa's Palawan doesn't shrink the galaxy just because she was Mace's Palawan as the Jedi were already a small group star wars wise especially. Remember there are only 10k Jedi at the height of the order so there are less knights and masters than that.

A plot from legends that likely got carried over was there was a Knight shortage due to the war and Grevious so Masters were taking more Padawan and Padawans like Anakin were being knighted earlier that they would have.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

1st two episodes of Kenobi dropped and I loved them. Fans of the prequels will be content as this is episode 3.5 basically. Fans that follow all Star Wars will be even more happy.

Worth the wait for sure.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri May 27, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah Kenobi is phenomenal thus far.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

So Mandalorian season 3 is due in February 2023. Kind of a bummer as I was hoping for November of December.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:59 am So Mandalorian season 3 is due in February 2023. Kind of a bummer as I was hoping for November of December.
Orginally Avatar 2 was supposed come out last year and there would be a Star Wars film this December so that could be why it's February 23.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Watched Kenobi last night. Didn't come out too happy.
These D+ shows are so milquetoast.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Remember when Game of Thrones was airing, and people hated Joffrey so much that the Game of Thrones twitter account was out there throwing fits about it?

Oh yeah, that never happened.

That streaming platform is appropriately abbreviated as D+ because that's the average grade of all of their original content.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:15 pm Remember when Game of Thrones was airing, and people hated Joffrey so much that the Game of Thrones twitter account was out there throwing fits about it?

Oh yeah, that never happened.

That streaming platform is appropriately abbreviated as D+ because that's the average grade of all of their original content.
You talking about the racist attacks on Reva.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kenobi episode 3 man, been waiting 17 years for this.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:41 pm You talking about the racist attacks on Reva.
I don't understand why people watch a show and get so angry about a character that they attack the actor. Especially why they have to take it to such a hateful place. It's a fuckin' TV show.
I personally found Reva the character a bit much but like I'd rather see and actor having fun with a part than phoning it in.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:29 am
miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:41 pm You talking about the racist attacks on Reva.
I don't understand why people watch a show and get so angry about a character that they attack the actor. Especially why they have to take it to such a hateful place. It's a skreeonkin' TV show.
I personally found Reva the character a bit much but like I'd rather see and actor having fun with a part than phoning it in.
Agreed. And I've seen legitimate criticism on her character, I myself wonder why she did the Assassin's creed bit in Episode 2 but the hate she got from certain people was ridiculous an then trying to hide behind the company is attacking fans is sickening.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:29 am
I don't understand why people watch a show and get so angry about a character that they attack the actor. Especially why they have to take it to such a hateful place. It's a fuckin' TV show.
You're talking about a fanbase that almost drove Ahmed Best to suicide.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple