The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Yeah, saying anyone who likes the show is delusional is flame bait, and as someone who's been on the site long enough to know the rules, you really should know better, Chrispy.

Enjoy your warning. Heaven forbid actual opinions are a thing and some stuff isn't just "X is objectively bad and anyone who likes it is delusional."
Last edited by Demon Lord Gira on Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:49 pm
Spuro wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:35 pm Am I the only one here who likes Reva?

Why is she hated, exactly?
I quite like Reva. I certainly find her more interesting and engaging than I ever found the Inquisitors on Rebels.

The most common complaint I hear about the character is that she's too insubordinate to the Grand Inquisitor (I also saw one person complaining that the Grand Inquisitor didn't do enough to put her in her place). I don't understand that criticism; conflict is the source of drama, after all.
I'm more ambivalent towards her, but I agree. One thing that we seem to be repeatedly told is that Sith/Dark Side Users are routinely power-hungry and betray another. We've seen it maybe twice before; with Palpatine telling Anakin to kill Dooku and with Vader betraying the Emperor. However, we haven't seen someone straight up betray someone above them, for a purely power driven reason. Vader killing Palpatine was motivated by wanting to save his son, and Dooku was a clear villain. It's interesting seeing an organization based on evil and betrayal, actually fall into that. It also, funnily enough, explains why Vader and the Emperor are the only powerful force users in the original trilogy: Vader/The Emperor realized that any of the inquisitors were probably the biggest threat to them, so they just eliminated them all. That's a funny by-product.

I haven't seen episode 4, but I think it is also refreshing to have a "normal" person finally be a Sith/Dark Side user on screen. All of the Sith are based around Vader/Emperor Hybrids. They're old men, robots, aliens, or a combination of both. We don't just see a "normal" person, and it is a nice change of pace.

So far, I'm enjoying Obi-Wan. That's how I am with Star Wars at this point. I enjoy the original trilogy, some bits from the sequels and prequels, but that's it. I get the problems with the franchise as a whole, and I do get how it's fun to pick apart various entries in the series, but overall it's never offensive or bad enough to really get angry over. It's a space opera and always has beenI like looking at the weird alien designs, looking at the ships and planets. I like Ewan McGregor enough to enjoy seeing him playing Obi-Wan again. I enjoy Vader (I clapped when I saw it). I like Reva and the other Sith enough. I enjoy it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:25 pm
eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:49 pm
Spuro wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:35 pm Am I the only one here who likes Reva?

Why is she hated, exactly?
I quite like Reva. I certainly find her more interesting and engaging than I ever found the Inquisitors on Rebels.

The most common complaint I hear about the character is that she's too insubordinate to the Grand Inquisitor (I also saw one person complaining that the Grand Inquisitor didn't do enough to put her in her place). I don't understand that criticism; conflict is the source of drama, after all.
funnily enough, explains why Vader and the Emperor are the only powerful force users in the original trilogy: Vader/The Emperor realized that any of the inquisitors were probably the biggest threat to them, so they just eliminated them all. That's a f
Just wanted to pop in being a nerd, Vader could solo all the Inquisitors by himself its like a candle next to an inferno. The movies don't touch on it but Luke is alone in the OT due to a combo of the Jedi being killed and Luke/Leia being the only ones who could match Vader.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Okay, Obi-Wan Kenobi is now doing that thing where its story actively enriches the stories of the original movies for me. It fills me with utter joy, then heartbreak, then fear. It makes me feel more connected to characters I’ve known almost my whole life. It is a thing of beauty, and it is by far my favorite Star Wars content since The Last Jedi.

I am happy to overwrite aspects of my own headcanon for this.

As some of you may have gathered, my favorite aspects of Star Wars are the psychological drama and the grand tragedy. This show is delving into those elements, with excellent performances guiding us, and a very nice visual style to accompany that. Plus, Obi-Wan is fucking badass.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

It was so cool when Kenobi snuck Leia out under a trenchcoat like a 3 Stooges sketch. Luckily the empire is even dumber than that and nobody noticed.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

One complaint (really its two).

1. Why did Vader lose his cool? At ten years in he should never have done that Kylo Ren shit.
2. After such a gargantuan failure, why wasn’t Reva killed on the spot? Other inquisitors have been mutilated and killed for less.

Also I feel Vader’s voice thingy was a little bit shoddy this episode.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:10 pm One complaint (really its two).

1. Why did Vader lose his cool? At ten years in he should never have done that Kylo Ren shit.
2. After such a gargantuan failure, why wasn’t Reva killed on the spot? Other inquisitors have been mutilated and killed for less.

To address the first complaint, he lost his cool in the beginning of A New Hope, remember.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Voyager wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:10 pm One complaint (really its two).

1. Why did Vader lose his cool? At ten years in he should never have done that Kylo Ren poop.

Vader was likely under the impression that Obi-Wan would come from Leia, Reva's plan but Reva messed up and let them escape.

Reva was aloud to live because she mentioned a tracker which saved her. Same move Vader and Tarkin made in ANH.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

No real major complaints about this episode. The action was neat. I like the tense scene where Obi-Wan was pushing back the glass/water and deflecting the blasts. A lot of this still feels like, "Obi-Wan is routinely running and hiding", and it can feel repetitive, but I mean literally he's a fugitive from the empire. There's no in-between.

I liked the parallels of Obi-Wan in the Bacta Tank to Anakin/Vader in it as well. Simple, a bit cheap, but good visual story telling. Likewise, I like Obi Wan's shock when he finds the dead Jedi's and that's when he decides to start using his lightsaber again.

I know it originated in Fallen Order, but I really do like the Fortress Inquistorius or whatever.

I also really liked all the scenes with Reva and Leia. I like how Reva is ALMOST human enough to sort of buy into what she is saying, and has a little snark to her. While it's not explicit, a lot of her dialogue with Leia is also clearly showing the pain and grief she has, while still being really angry. It's the type of thing you really couldn't get from a villain like Vader/the Emperor.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Since everyone else seems to fine ways Obi-Wan is breaking canon the only one I'll point out (this is a joke, not serious) is why Vader couldn't figure the little girl that is strong enough in the force to resist an inquisitor and looks like Padme wasn't his kid.

Maybe it's different in Canon but in Legends Bail didn't hide Leia as he knew that would be just as suspicious and she had know Vader and the Emperor from a far.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:38 am Since everyone else seems to fine ways Obi-Wan is breaking canon the only one I'll point out (this is a joke, not serious) is why Vader couldn't figure the little girl that is strong enough in the force to resist an inquisitor and looks like Padme wasn't his kid.
Vader never saw her, or had a chance to learn she was strong in the force. That was Reva in both cases.

Other than some dialogue in a New Hope (which I expect to be addressed in the next episode or two) I’m not sure what canon it actually breaks.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFXsV9S89kg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3gfvGwxjhA

This show isn't good, Star Wars is dead. I don't have anything else to say on the matter. Everyone who enjoys it, keep on enjoying it.

1-6 form an amazing saga, and Mandalorian honored that legacy. Rogue One was close even if it didn't quite make it.

The Kennedy Trilogy, Solo, Bad Batch, Visions, Book of Boba Fett, and now Obi-Wan Kenobi....that's too many strikes.

Again, everyone keep enjoying it if this is your thing. Star Wars used to represent the tip top of the blockbuster foodchain. It has fallen far from that. It and all of the other Disney+ shows are being shamed by stuff like Stranger Things Season 4.

Again, happy for anyone who is still a fan. I was a lifelong, die hard fan...just can't say that I am any more.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Spuro wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:21 am
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:38 am Since everyone else seems to fine ways Obi-Wan is breaking canon the only one I'll point out (this is a joke, not serious) is why Vader couldn't figure the little girl that is strong enough in the force to resist an inquisitor and looks like Padme wasn't his kid.
Vader never saw her, or had a chance to learn she was strong in the force. That was Reva in both cases.

Other than some dialogue in a New Hope (which I expect to be addressed in the next episode or two) I’m not sure what canon it actually breaks.
I was mostly joking, I'm assuming it's to protect ANH but Vader usually senses a force wielder if he gets near them and he could sense Obi-Wan and Luke from distances once he locked on to them. Leia for some reason I'm assuming because of the way Lucas wrote the OT never sets off his senses.

Reva not mentioning Leia's power actually makes sense as she is protecting herself and her status.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

One thing that I can 100% positively say is that we’re in the Goldrn Age of Darth Vader. DV hasn’t gotten this much content, appearances, and badass moments in…well, ever. The one character that even Disney can’t screw up :lol:.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:21 am One thing that I can 100% positively say is that we’re in the Goldrn Age of Darth Vader. DV hasn’t gotten this much content, appearances, and badass moments in…well, ever. The one character that even Disney can’t screw up :lol:.
When Disney bought Star Wars they decided they were pushing Rey, Kylo Ren and Darth Vader.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Episode 5 was everything I wanted in the series, but also exposes the problem with the miniseries. This shouldn't be a spoiler, but the show finally has a real portrayal of drama between Vader and Obi-wan. I don't think this "fixes" the prequel trilogy, but it's easy and less jarring to see the transition between the two thanks to a few key interactions in this episode.
Spoiler:
-I loved the parallels of Vader looking over the planet, and both him and Obi-wan contemplating a sparring match in the past. Clear parallels are made between Anakin and Vader's strategy and being overly aggressive.

-I loved the scene between Reva and Obi-Wan talking. It feels like Obi-Wan is genuinely trying to reach out. It's also a great insertion of guilt and responsibility; "where were you?". This is really one of the most difficult and painful questions. While Obi-wan does show up to fight Vader, he's ultimately serving the Emperor's interests when he's off to fight Grevious. Granted, he was tricked, but it's a nice change of pace to see guilt in that he really was serving a fools errand and missed the warning signs. Kudos to Ewan McGregor for continually acting a lot without having to say too much. A lot of his regret and emotions are expressed well.

-I forget her name, but I also liked that dialogue scene with Obi-Wan and the Imperial Spy. It again adds tragedy to the empire and shows how people could get sucked into something and regret.

-The fight between Vader and Reva was a curb stomp (as Miguelnuva said it would be), but it does a lot. It 100% confirms that Vader was toying with Kenobi on that desert planet. That retroactively makes Obi-wan's escape in that episode more believable. Also for a curbstomp it's really entertaining how Vader continually pushes and swings his arms around. I thought making Reva a youngling would be cheap at first, but it adds to the drama and makes it clear how she turned to the dark side. The editing between Vader and Anakin attacking Reva might have been a bit cheap again, but it's a fun stylistic choice. Also it delivers in showing the fallout of Anakin killing the younglings. In "Revenge of the Sith" Anakin killing the younglings comes off as a dramatic but rushed moment that also simultaneously makes Vader look pathetic. This doesn't help that, but it shows the actual trauma and what that might do to a survivor. The line, "I thought he was here to save us" further twists the knife. Likewise, there's a lot of subtle internal conflicting in what Reva is doing; has she turned to the Dark side to get revenge?

-I feel stupid for thinking the Grand Inquistor was dead.

-The problem I'm referring to is that a lot of the series feels like "filler". It's ready to deliver some amazing action and emotion between Obi-wan, Vader, and Reva, but a lot of it is bogged down by some uneeded establishing scenes. Maybe things are bloated as well. I reckon at the end of this, someone will make a 2 hr and 15 min cut of the miniseries and it'll probably be better than Attack of the Clones.

-Likewise, I want to get something off my chest: This series is pointless. We didn't need this. The original 1977 Star Wars films, and it's sequels stand on it's own. I can view this separate from that and vice versa. However, I think this delivers a lot of things that the prequel trilogy missed with character drama. I like that the most, and like seeing both Obi-Wan and Vader having time to contemplate what went down.
I'll post my big problems with the series once it concludes next week. However, I can safely say that certain moments and ideas easily transcend and "fix" (or at least utilize) interesting ideas from the prequels in a satisfying way.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Episode 5 was my least favorite episode so far, honestly. There was... a lot of gaping huge plot holes in this one. Like, Rise of Skywalker levels. Not sure how to feel about that...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I would say that stylistically, episode 4 remains my favorite of the series so far, but in terms of emotional peaks, episode 5 has probably topped it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

The Vader moments alone made this episode my favorite.
Spoiler:
Pulling the ship down Starkiller style and then proceeding to fight Reva without his lightsaber?
Awesome.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Good Vader moments, but nothing will ever top the Luke v Vader Bespin fight. That fight, especially in the hallway, is some of the most threatening villain stuff I’ve ever seen in a movie.
For Emperor and Empire!