The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:50 am Can someone tell me why Obi-Wan Kenobi had such a bad soundtrack. We went from head banging epicness in Mando and Boba, to Royalty Free Elevator music for 95% of Kenobi, including the final battle that was supposed to be as epic as the Mustafar duel. (Which, while cool, just wasn’t close. I’m so tired of these fights in the middle of sandy/rocky nothingness planets)
The soundtrack was one of my issues, as well. I know they kept the classic themes for the ending and thematic impact (which I would say worked), but the score in it of itself was very weak. I read they wanted a more "action" ish score? But I don't think they succeeded.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Overcoming the Past is a beautiful track, as is the main Kenobi theme, but the rest is definitely very... off for SW OSTs. Even I Will Do What I Must is an odd track. Compared to BoBF's entire OST, which I had on repeat for a while, the only track I wanna return to is Overcoming the Past.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:50 am Can someone tell me why Obi-Wan Kenobi had such a bad soundtrack. We went from head banging epicness in Mando and Boba, to Royalty Free Elevator music for 95% of Kenobi, including the final battle that was supposed to be as epic as the Mustafar duel. (Which, while cool, just wasn’t close. I’m so tired of these fights in the middle of sandy/rocky nothingness planets)
It wasn't suppose to be epic as the Mustfar duel was. Vader is fighting out of character and has reverted to Dark Anakin and is making mistakes. Obi-Wan is combing back into his own and doesn't regain his fullbpowet until after Vader buries him. Then we get the you didn't kill Anakin convo.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:11 am Just a bit of a vent and I should have known better than to debate SW fans on you tube. I was watching the hallway rogue one scene with Darth Vader and a fan was talking about how Vader was nerfed based on comic feats and Rebels cartoons. I responded that actually the comics buffed him and tried to tell him Gareth Edward's was using only the original trilogy as a frame of reference since Edward's was quoted as saying Vader could only be shown doing things he did in the original trilogy. The fanboy goes on to say "nice try Disney Stan" and use a Vader fan film for proof along with saying the comics are canon even though rogue one came out before the majority of those comic feats and that I mentioned you can't expect filmmakers to keep track of every single random obscure comic and guide or even cartoon feats.

Just had to vent a little.
The Obi-Wan creators didn't even know what happened in Rebels despite that being the Stroygroup's main purpose.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

So what do we think of Andor?

I'm not sure if I liked it. But after watching I did think about it and appreciated it's Blade Runner style and pacing. So far.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:18 pm So what do we think of Andor?

I'm not sure if I liked it. But after watching I did think about it and appreciated it's Blade Runner style and pacing. So far.
The first two episodes were a slog to get through but that third one made up for it.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I really enjoyed the first three episodes of Andor. Love the tone, the style, the world building. I really can’t find a negative thing to say about it. Which is great after Book of Boba Fett and Obi-wan were both massive disappointments.

I will say, now that we’ve seen a number of live action Star Wars shows, I really appreciate how Disney is doing quite noticeably different things to appeal to different audiences.

I loved season 1 of Mando. I thoroughly enjoyed season two even if it bordered on too fan-servicey.

I hated Book of Boba Fett and was frustrated with how they basically made the last few episodes Mando season 2.5.

I generally disliked Obi-wan.

And I’m loving Andor so far.

But each show feels quite different. Mando is the speghetti Western/Jidai Geki space adventure. BoBF is basically a kids Saturday morning cartoon brought to live action. Obi-wan was a love letter to prequel fans. And Andor is the harder edged, more mature dystopian spy thriller. I may not love all of them, but I do appreciate that they are trying to do a variety of show types and hope they get even more experimental with genres. But most importantly, hire skilled artists to tell the best stories they can come up with.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Boba Fett had 1 cartoony moment before they turned into into Mandalorian season 2.5.

I think the main problem people had was that it was Legends Boba Fett which would have made him that cold blooded anti hero mobster series.

As for Andor the common consensus I'm hearing is ep 1 and 2 are slow but 3 is great.

Obi-Wan also suffers from expectations, Reva shouldn't have been in between Obi-Wan and Vader but you also can't have Vader chasing Obi-Wan every episode. I see why she's there especially when Luke and Leia are the only reasons Obi-Wan would move around and you can't have Vader interacting with them directly.

I feel like Boba Fett and Obi-Wan if they have season 2s would both be better.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:32 pm Obi-Wan also suffers from expectations, Reva shouldn't have been in between Obi-Wan and Vader but you also can't have Vader chasing Obi-Wan every episode. I see why she's there especially when Luke and Leia are the only reasons Obi-Wan would move around and you can't have Vader interacting with them directly.
My take on this is actually that there should have been a lot more focus on Reva, whose story was fresh and could lead in a number of intriguing directions, while Vader should have been much less of a presence, and should not have been a part of the final episode at all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:37 am
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:32 pm Obi-Wan also suffers from expectations, Reva shouldn't have been in between Obi-Wan and Vader but you also can't have Vader chasing Obi-Wan every episode. I see why she's there especially when Luke and Leia are the only reasons Obi-Wan would move around and you can't have Vader interacting with them directly.
My take on this is actually that there should have been a lot more focus on Reva, whose story was fresh and could lead in a number of intriguing directions, while Vader should have been much less of a presence, and should not have been a part of the final episode at all.
Which is part of the expectation problem. Once Obi-Wan was announced the majority of fans wanted him vs Vader as they felt that was another thing the prequels didn't have that they should have. Once Lucasfilm committed to Obi-Wan and Vader meeting you're giving Reva an uphill battle to come between these two legends especially if her stroy isn't the greatest thing to watch.

If we be like if a new Titan was thrust in-between Godzilla and Kong in that last film.

Reva was necessary for the stroy to move, but Lucasfilm dropped the ball with her in the context of a new character is going to be the buffer between Obi-Wan and Vader fighting.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I actually liked Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Mostly because, but not limited to, the scene where Vader absolves Obi-Wan of blame for him turning to the dark side. Felt like something that was genuinely interesting to see for the character.

As for Andor, we'll have to see where it goes but as of now it's coming across as seeds of the Rebellion which was already done one way in 4 seasons of Rebels.

I do like the exploration of lower ranks of The Empire other than The Emperor, Vader and Generals we see in the movies.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:50 am As for Andor, we'll have to see where it goes but as of now it's coming across as seeds of the Rebellion which was already done one way in 4 seasons of Rebels.

I do like the exploration of lower ranks of The Empire other than The Emperor, Vader and Generals we see in the movies.
Andor is doing a good job at exploring both sides with a bit more depth and maturity than Rebels did. That’s not to knock Rebels as a story— it has some great arcs and characters— but it’s still a kids show at heart. Andor being more nuanced works to make it a story worth telling.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Mando day! Pedro Pascal has two of the biggest shows on television at the same time.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

Since this thread asks for our favourite Star Wars films I thought I'd rate them in order of release:

OT (theatrical editions)
Star Wars - 10
Empire - 9
Return of the Jedi - 8.75

Prequel Era
Episode I - 5.5
Episode II - 5
Episode III - 7
Clone Wars (Animated Film) - 5 (without the context of the great show it was a strange experience in theaters)

Disney Era
The Force Awakens - 6
Rogue One - 5.5
The Last Jedi - 5 (I think I'm one of the few who neither loves it or hates it, it's just meh.)
Rise of Skywalker - 3 X_X

Bonus

Animated Shows
Clone Wars (2008) - 8 (don't remember how to rate individual seasons its been awhile but overall I loved it though there were rough patches even from the start)

Live Action Shows
Mando Season One - 6
Mando Season Two - 5.5
Boba Fett Season One - 5 (Half and half - Started enjoying myself toward the end but the beginning was so rough)
Obi-wan show - 5.5
Andor - 4.5 (despite all the rave reviews I have found it to be well acted but boring. More soap opera than space opera)

Make of this what you will. I am one of those who thinks at this point the original film will never be matched and certainly not the original trilogy. I would love to be wrong. Despite a few upticks for me here and there it has been in creative decline ever since.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

SW - 9.3
SW5 - 9.5
SW6 - 9.4

SW1- 6.8
SW2 - 5.8
SW3 - 9.7

TCW (2003) - 9.3
TCW (Film) - 7.2
TCW (Show) - 9.7

SW7 - 7.1
SW8 - 5.1
SW9 - 6

ROGUE 1: 8.4
SOLO: 5.9

Rebels: 6.8

Mando S1: 7
Mando S2: 7
Boba: 5

Holiday Special: 5

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Original Trilogy
A New Hope: 9/10
Empire Strikes Back: 10/10 (It's far from my favorite, though)
Return of the Jedi: 7/10

Prequel Trilogy
The Phantom Menace: 6/10
Attack of the Clones: 5/10
Revenge of the Sith: 8/10
The Backstroke of the West: 10,000,000/10

Stand Alone Movies
The Clone Wars Film: 4/10
Rogue One: 8/10
Solo: 5/10

TV Shows
Tartakovsky's Clone Wars: 7/10
The Clone Wars: 8/10
Rebels: 7/10
The Mandolorian: 8/10
The Book of Boba Fett: 6/10
The Bad Batch: 6/10
Kenobi: 7/10
Tales from the Jedi: 7/10

The Trilogy That Must Not Be Named
The Force Awakens: 4/10
The Last Jedi: 6/10
The Rise of Skywalker: 2/10 X_X

I haven't seen Andor yet. Burned out on Star Wars content and it doesn't look very interesting.

I saw the two 80s Ewok movies as a kid, but I barely remember them so I can't give them accurate ratings here.

Haven't seen The Holiday Special.
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Original Trilogy
A New Hope: 9/10
Empire Strikes Back: 9/10
Return of the Jedi: 7.5/10

Prequel Trilogy

The Phantom Menace: 7/10
Attack of the Clones: 5.5/10
Revenge of the Sith: 10/10

Spin Offs
Rogue One: 8/10
Solo: 5/10

TV Shows
Tartakovsky's Clone Wars: 8/10
The Clone Wars: 10/10
Rebels: 4/10
The Mandalorian: 10/10
The Book of Boba Fett: 8/10
The Bad Batch: 7/10
Kenobi: 6/10
Tales from the Jedi: 7/10

Disney Canon:
The Force Awakens: 3/10 (Uninspired rehashed garbage of ANH)
The Last Jedi: 0/10 (Rian Johnson is a colossal moron for this rehashed mess of ROTJs finale and ESBs Hoth sequence, every time it's even playing in my vague vicinity I'm reminded of how terrible a film it is.)
The Rise of Skywalker: 0/10 (JJ and Disney should never set foot near another license for as long as the Mouse Empire exists)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Ranking the Star Wars movies and shows I've seen /10:

Movies
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 4
- Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 6
- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - 8
- Episode IV: A New Hope - 9
- Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - 10
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 7
- Episode VII: The Force Awakens - 5
- Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - 3
- Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - 2
- Rogue One - 8
- Solo - 6

Animated TV*
- The Clone Wars
-- Seasons 1-2 - 6
-- Seasons 3-6 - 8
-- Season 7 - 9
- Rebels - 7
- The Bad Batch - 7
- Tales of the Jedi - 6

Live-Action TV
- The Mandalorian
-- Season 1 - 8
-- Season 2 - 7
- The Book of Boba Fett - 4
- Obi-Wan Kenobi - 5
- Andor - 7

*I find the animated shows much harder to rank. The better episodes in Clone Wars, Rebels and Bad Batch are easily on par with any of the better Star Wars movies, while the worst episodes almost make the sequel trilogy look good.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Spuro wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:23 pm

I haven't seen Andor yet. Burned out on Star Wars content and it doesn't look very interesting.
It’s honestly some of the best Star Wars storytelling period. Whenever you’re not burnt out I recommend checking it out. It might just surprise you.

Resized Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

My rankings:

Episode IV
Episode V
Episode VI
Rogue One
Episode VII
Episode VIII
Episode III
Episode II
Episode I
Solo
Episode IX

Mandalorian S1
Rebels
Clone Wars
Mandalorian S2
Bad Batch S1
Book of Boba Fett

Haven't watched Andor, Resistance, or Visions. Not sure I will, like Spuro I'm burned out of SW.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I’m not much of a #/10 ranker so here are my favorites in order:

1. Return of the Jedi (the story of redemption and the emotions behind this movie take the cake for me, plus I love Ewoks. Very nostalgic and I’ll never not love this one)

2. Empire Strikes Back (near perfect sequel and iconic)

3. Revenge of the Sith (meme king + the best prequel and always a movie I don’t mind rewatching)

4. The Clone Wars (childhood + most of the episodes are either good or amazing, earlier seasons were rougher and more mixed in quality)

5. The Mandalorian (this is the way)

6. A New Hope (the classic)

7. Andor (a surprisingly great story)

8. Rogue One (great movie)

9. Book of Boba Fett (weirdly enjoyed this one!)

10. Rebels (love the main cast and the story even if it’s held back a bit by the kid show format)

11. Bad Batch (gets better every season and fun to watch)
12. Kenobi (it’s good but not great)

13. Visions (not keen on rewatching but great concepts and stories nonetheless)

14. Phantom Menace (I like this one)

15. Attack of the Clones (I also like this one but it and TPM are rough)

16. The Last Jedi (probably the best sequel bc it actually tries to do something fresh even if it’s a very very mixed bag)

17. Solo (entertaining! but forgettable)

18. The Force Awakens (not something I like to rewatch, very by the books and meh)

19. Rise of Skywalker (barf)

Non-canon wise: CW 2003 is great, I would place it on the higher end of the shows and movies here. Great visual storytelling in it. Never saw Droids or Ewoks or the two Ewok movies, but maybe they’re charming?

EDIT: never bothered with Resistance past a few episodes. Just didn’t grip me enough to keep me invested, but I’m sure it has its fans.
Last edited by CyberZilla on Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Resized Image