The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

A Fistful of Dollars - my first time seeing this - not nearly as rich as the original (Yojimbo), but still a solid western and very entertaining throughout.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:07 pm A Fistful of Dollars - my first time seeing this - not nearly as rich as the original (Yojimbo), but still a solid western and very entertaining throughout.
Yeah, it's inferior as a remake, but as an opening salvo in the genre from Sergio Leone, it's pretty damned impressive, and he would only steadily build on it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:40 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:07 pm A Fistful of Dollars - my first time seeing this - not nearly as rich as the original (Yojimbo), but still a solid western and very entertaining throughout.
Yeah, it's inferior as a remake, but as an opening salvo in the genre from Sergio Leone, it's pretty damned impressive, and he would only steadily build on it.
Absolutely. I'm excited to work my way through his filmography!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Why is Dersu Uzala never mentioned in the same breath as Kurosawa's other masterpieces? This is a marvelous film and so criminally obscure (well, as obscure as a Kurosawa film can be). Also crying out for even a decent video release.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:05 pm Why is Dersu Uzala never mentioned in the same breath as Kurosawa's other masterpieces? This is a marvelous film and so criminally obscure (well, as obscure as a Kurosawa film can be). Also crying out for even a decent video release.
How'd you watch it? I hear it's great.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:05 pm Why is Dersu Uzala never mentioned in the same breath as Kurosawa's other masterpieces? This is a marvelous film and so criminally obscure (well, as obscure as a Kurosawa film can be). Also crying out for even a decent video release.
Gotta be honest, the one time I watched it I could not get invested in it at all, and at this point I barely remember it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:30 pm
How'd you watch it? I hear it's great.
I think Criterion Channel has it, but I found it on Archive.org from a TCM broadcast. It's also on YouTube, but the video quality isn't too hot and the subs fall way out of sync.
eabaker wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:05 am Gotta be honest, the one time I watched it I could not get invested in it at all, and at this point I barely remember it.
That's too bad; all I can say is that it hooked me the two times I've watched it. Barely remembering something you didn't like is also a great starting point for reevaluation though*.

*Not presently advised for Godzilla King of the Monsters or Godzilla vs. Kong.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Catching back up on Curb your Enthusiasm partly in preparation for the new season in October, partly because of how good the image of Larry David yelling at Alan Dershowitz makes me feel.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Finally watched WW84 after just barely missing out on its initial HBO Max release. It was pretty good, not really getting the super negative reactions here.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:33 pm Finally watched WW84 after just barely missing out on its initial HBO Max release. It was pretty good, not really getting the super negative reactions here.
Well, first and foremost, Wonder Woman raped and attempted to murder Handsome Man. His well-being was never once addressed by Diana or Steve, yet we're supposed to see them as these noble heroes. That's some of the shittiest, most bizarre writing I've ever seen.

Otherwise, it was just clumsy and poorly done. Both villains were supposed to be sympathetic, but neither was. And again, it was so damn long. You probably could've trimmed twenty minutes out and not lost anything.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:28 pm Wonder Woman raped and attempted to murder Handsome Man.
???
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:33 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:28 pm Wonder Woman raped and attempted to murder Handsome Man.
???
I'll just let Shadiversity explain it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bncCt5P ... adiversity
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:04 am
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:33 am
???
I'll just let Shadiversity explain it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bncCt5P ... adiversity
Oh, the guy Steve possessed? I thought you were referring to Max Lord or something. Didn't think about it when I was watching the movie but yeah, that wasn't really consensual.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Finally got around to watching 'Godzilla: Singular Point' last night. More specifically, the first three episodes. I'm really liking Mei, though my feelings on the show's concept for Rodan are mixed even if it is admittedly unique. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Evil Dead Trap (1988): 8.75/10
The Suicide Squad (2021): 8.75/10
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So in an attempt to cure my boredom, i sat down on my bed, put on Disney+, and decided to take on one is widely considered to be the worst film in the entire Disney Animated Canon.... Chicken Little.

And it was.. the absolutely most hilariously bad film i have ever seen in my life. Yes, it's awful; yes it is an awful blemish to Disney's entire legacy that left Walt spinning in his grave. But MAN the entire plot with what was meant to be a old fairy-tale re-imaigned to be an alien invasion story featuring some of the worst characters known to mankind makes an absolutely bonkers experience that needs to be seen to be believed. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Aside from 3.0 + 1.0, I watched Two Weeks To Live (2020). A violent, funny show with good characters, and it manages to wrap up a story within 6 24 minute episodes, with a nice final twist the end.
Last edited by Voyager on Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Recently bought the Dark Knight Trilogy Special Edition Blu Ray set. Watched it all over the course of three days with my dad.

God, these movies are too good.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:09 am
Terasawa wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:05 pm Also, if you have TCM (or know someone who does), keep in mind that they tend to play Hammer films around Halloween, particularly the dozen or so WB-owned films.
I think we do still have TCM available through Hulu TV, which I never actually watch. I had no idea it ever played Hammer films, though, so I'll have to take a look at its schedule now. Thanks!
Bump because I'm looking over TCM's October schedule; it's not completely listed just yet, but so far, the Hammer yield looks like this:

10-21: The Nanny (1965); Dracula, Prince of Darkness (1966); Frankenstein Created Woman (1967); Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969); Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970); Crescendo (1970); Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
10-23: The Mummy's Shroud (1967)
10-30: The Devil's Own (1966); The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

I'd bet a few more of the usual suspects turn up on Halloween itself.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

One year hence.

Just left the theater from The Green Knight after an impossibly-long wait. It was as weird as it is good, which is to say it was a very good movie. It actually made my eyes water a bit near the end, which is… pretty rare for anything. Definitely worth the wait.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.