The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Ok, has anyone else seen Licorice Pizza? Just got back from the theater. It was gorgeous (shot on 35mm with old lenses so it looks fantastic) but never really felt like all the parts came together. I'm curious if I'm missing something, PT Anderson usually hits the mark but this one kinda fell short for me.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Braveheart. A little bit... much at times, but a gripping and dramatic ride with top-tier action and music. The three hours go by fast.

Hilariously inaccurate, though. Like, wow. It's complete fiction a lot of the time. Princess Isabella, for example, was a little kid living in France when all this was going on. She never would've met William Wallace, let alone had his baby to end Edward's bloodline. Where the fuck did the writers pull that one from? :lol: And that's the tip of the iceberg. The term 'Braveheart' originally referred to Robert the Bruce, not Wallace.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:21 pm I'll check both of those directors out. I've been meaning to ask for Chinese martial arts movie recommendations beyond Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, so you saved me a post, heh. Thanks!

Arrow's Shaw Brothers set is also on my radar, but I'm just going to wait for a standard edition; I don't want to deal with the special edition's oversized box.

I also need to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon , but apparently its 4K release looks terrible and the Blu-ray has inferior subtitles. Anybody know if the DVD is worth picking up?
Jet Li's classic Black Mask is a must. If you want something more heavy on the comedy The Days of Being Dumb is really hilarious.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I've been making my way through Arrow's Shaw Brothers set and..... it's just awesome. The more movies I watch the more I want to see!
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:14 pm Ok, has anyone else seen Licorice Pizza? Just got back from the theater. It was gorgeous (shot on 35mm with old lenses so it looks fantastic) but never really felt like all the parts came together. I'm curious if I'm missing something, PT Anderson usually hits the mark but this one kinda fell short for me.
I dig it, but I actually haven't seen PTA's other films, so I lack the capacity to compare! I thought it was quite funny. Since it's inspired by the director's youth in LA I can only assume at that time and place every kid was in constant danger of encountering an insane celebrity.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Been watching Reacher on Amazon. Really enjoying it so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Watched Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal, excellent film.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:03 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:21 pm I'll check both of those directors out. I've been meaning to ask for Chinese martial arts movie recommendations beyond Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, so you saved me a post, heh. Thanks!

Arrow's Shaw Brothers set is also on my radar, but I'm just going to wait for a standard edition; I don't want to deal with the special edition's oversized box.

I also need to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon , but apparently its 4K release looks terrible and the Blu-ray has inferior subtitles. Anybody know if the DVD is worth picking up?
Jet Li's classic Black Mask is a must. If you want something more heavy on the comedy, The Days of Being Dumb is really hilarious.
If you want to watch a really...different martial arts film, I recommend The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (specifically, the unedited version under that title).

The Shaw Brothers' Five Deadly Venoms is also recommended. I've got the Dragon Dynasty DVD version in Chinese (I don't remember if it's Mandarin or Cantonese, though) with subtitles.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:48 am If you want to watch a really...different martial arts film, I recommend The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (specifically, the unedited version under that title).
I'm slowly making my way through Hammer's vampire movies, and will absolutely be watching this one somewhere down the line. Looks very unique.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:01 am
mikelcho wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:48 am If you want to watch a really...different martial arts film, I recommend The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (specifically, the unedited version under that title).
I'm slowly making my way through Hammer's vampire movies, and will absolutely be watching this one somewhere down the line. Looks very unique.
Oh, it is, believe me.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Just watched Raw 2016. I thought the initial news about it making people squeamish in theatres were sensationalist shadow marketing. Having seen the film, I could see it happening. I personally didn’t get sick watching it but it is definitely been one of my more uncomfortable viewing experiences. Overall I think it does some fairly interesting things, and I’ll need to think about it for a while.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Patton (1970). I barely knew it existed, and stumbled across it while browsing through Amazon Prime Video. I was in the mood for something epic, maybe a war movie, and this fit the bill perfectly. It's a masterpiece, just a top-tier watch on every level.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Encanto. Disney was firing on all cylinders with this one. Outstanding music, strong characters, much better writing than a lot of their recent stuff, gorgeous visuals, and surprising sincerity. It didn't feel like a typical assembly line product.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Finally watched Silence of the Lambs for the first time last night. Incredible movie. Hopkins is absolutely disturbing as Lector in all the best ways, Foster and Levine were also phenomenal in the role. The score also stood out to me as being fantastic
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Extreme Warhawk
GPN Volunteer

Post by Extreme Warhawk »

Currently rewatching Highlander, such a classic film.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Just watched the Lure, a 2015 erotic, mermaid horror, musical, set in 1980's Poland. Its a pretty wild premise, and mostly fulfils one's expectations when going into a movie like this. I do think the movies starts to wear thin by last half hour, but overall an interesting re-interpretation of The Little Mermaid, none-the-less.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched 'Titan A.E.' (a.k.a. the black sheep of the Don Bluth series) for the first time in years two nights ago. My thoughts:

-It certainly has an interesting and unique concept story-wise. Though I would've loved to see more of the drifter colonies and an opening montage of the war against the Drej before Earth was obliterated.

-Characters are serviceable enough, though Gune is kind of annoying.

-Of the various alien designs, Preed's is by far the best.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Hey guys just me here once again.

I last watched the film Texas Chainsaw Massacre which is new to Netflix.

What's the deal with the movie titles in this franchise? 2x The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, original and remake. Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Leatherface. Texas Chainsaw 3D and now just Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Nothing amazing, in fact overall it's obvious that it's rather poor. Although before watching it I had heard nothing but people saying it was the worst thing ever. So when I saw it was nowhere near as bad as that.

I did like the bus massacre scene I guess that's the standout part of the movie.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:15 am Hey guys just me here once again.

What's the deal with the movie titles in this franchise? 2x The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, original and remake. Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Leatherface. Texas Chainsaw 3D and now just Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Nothing amazing, in fact overall it's obvious that it's rather poor. Although before watching it I had heard nothing but people saying it was the worst thing ever. So when I saw it was nowhere near as bad as that.

I did like the bus massacre scene I guess that's the standout part of the movie.
They really need to put these old horror franchises to rest (Halloween, Hellraiser, SAW, Scream) and just stick to making new ones. If people wants to watch them, just watch the originals. Also goes for Sci-Fi horror like Alien and The Predator.

We need more Malignant, Get Out, Crawl, Ready or Not, Antlers, A Quiet Place, Happy Death Day, etc.

I mean what more can be done with these old horror franchises aside from just repeating the same thing? It's just kill, kill and kill all over again. Doesn't bring anything new.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:24 am, edited 5 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:20 am
Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:15 am Hey guys just me here once again.

They really need to put these old horror franchises to rest (Halloween, Hellraiser, SAW, Scream) and just stick to making new ones. If people wants to watch them, just watch the originals. Also goes for Sci-Fi horror like Alien and The Predator.

We need more Malignant, Get Out, Crawl, Ready or Not, Antlers, A Quiet Place, Happy Death Day, etc.

I mean what more can be done with these old horror franchises aside from just repeating the same thing? It's just kill, kill and kill all over again. Doesn't bring anything new.
I will literally never understand the anti-sequel rhetoric on a Godzilla forum. It's mindboggling.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Maritonic wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:44 amI will literally never understand the anti-sequel rhetoric on a Godzilla forum. It's mindboggling.
Because there's more you can do with the Godzilla franchise than you can with these old slasher films which are more limited and "grounded" as seen with the many continuities (Showa, Heisei, Millennium, Legendary, Reiwa) the series has had and as IDW comics have shown can even do other genres like fantasy, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, and ancient history.