The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by JAGzilla »

The first episode of All of Us Are Dead on Netflix. Pretty good so far. I'm moderately invested in some of the characters, and the visuals are predictably top-tier. While the zombies are a little bit ho-hum, seen it before, the high school setting is original enough. That seems to be the specialty of Korean zombie media: taking the same tired thing and finding a fresh new spin to put on it. So far I've seen zombies on a train representing class struggle and heartless self-interest, in the medieval Joseon period fueling a power struggle among the royal family, and now they're the backdrop for a story about angsty teenage love triangles and bullying victims. What's next?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Just found out the other night that Nezura 1964 was on Tubi! I've been waiting to see it since it was announced. For what it was, it was a lot of fun!
I think it worked for me as a fan of the genre, and as someone who knows the history of the genre at that time. For someone who knows nothing of kaiju it might not work as well. It could have used a little more screentime for Tsukaji, because the one thing it was missing for me was his reaction to the production. I get that Nez was his pitch, but it felt a little unearned when he broke down towards the end.
Otherwise, it was a fantastic little bit of kaiju love! I gotta recommend it.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I watched The Northman today. Excellent movie.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Singin' in The Rain (1952). First time I'd seen it, and didn't even know a thing about it going in. It was outstanding, though. Very funny, visually dazzling, well-acted, catchy songs, and just all around a highly entertaining watch. Some of the dance-comedy routines dragged on perhaps a touch long for my taste, but then I'm not exactly the target audience.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

There is something wrong with almost every single series I stream. I swear they all have the same something wrong with them, but I can’t explain what it is. Maybe I just dislike the long format storytelling structure of series. I suppose is what I am getting at, no matter the genre, every “tv” series seems to have a similar structure, plot wise. I feel like these shows want me to take them seriously, but because they go on for so long, the plot kind of becomes redundant and more absurd as the series progresses, and I can no longer take the series seriously. I say this as I am watching Ozark.

Added in 30 minutes 6 seconds:
To add on to my previous statement, I am so sick of ballroom and party scenes in television. It’s so overbearing. Every show seems to be about extremely smart, beautiful, and cunning rich people screwing over other rich people. Then of course we have to have the obligatory scene where the protagonist is seemingly outsmarted, but then actually outsmarts the seemingly much more powerful minor antagonist, and puts them in their place in the most annoying and snobbish way possible. Then we revel in the protagonists power. Apparently this passes for high art. I have no idea why viewers want to see stories like this.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Martin (1977).

Probably George Romero's best movie. After I first watched it last year I was overjoyed to hear just a few months later the thought to be lost three hour cut Romero spent so many years pining for had at last been found by a stroke of good luck. It's a testament to the film's power than even the (at times obviously) watered hour and half version is still so damn good.
Resized Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:04 am Martin (1977).

Probably George Romero's best movie. After I first watched it last year I was overjoyed to hear just a few months later the thought to be lost three hour cut Romero spent so many years pining for had at last been found by a stroke of good luck. It's a testament to the film's power than even the (at times obviously) watered hour and half version is still so damn good.
Please let me know if it's being released on home video! I've been waiting for this one for a long time. Can you also provide a link to this?

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

mikelcho wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:24 am

Please let me know if it's being released on home video! I've been waiting for this one for a long time. Can you also provide a link to this?
It's coming, thankfully.
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I agree that this is at least a strong contender for Romero's best film, and I'd also say it's a very serious candidate for the best vampire movie ever made. It is beautiful, tragic, and deeply unnerving.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue May 10, 2022 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

comment has been moved
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri May 13, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

The War in Space (1977).

I liked it to be honest. Had fun watching and it didn't beat around the bush when it came to delivering said war in space.
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Currently three episodes into the revived Kids in the Hall, and absolutely loving it! The humor is as fresh, as dark, and as masterfully constructed and performed as ever. I stand by my stance that the Kids bring the highest quality of acting of any sketch troupe ever. The "Brand New Key" runner in episode 3 is, in its own dry way, among the funniest things I've ever seen.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Just finished my rewatch of Doctor Strange in preparation for watching Doctor Strange: MoM later today.

I quite liked it, was about as good as I remember it being when I first saw it. Top 10 MCU films IMO.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

shadowgigan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:11 pm There is something wrong with almost every single series I stream. I swear they all have the same something wrong with them, but I can’t explain what it is.
AAAAAHHHHHHH IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!
You're literally pulling thoughts out of my brain.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Fri May 20, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just finished watching Moon Knight and it was great! Weirdness through and through.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Finished the new season of Kids in the Hall, then watched the two part Kids in the Hall: Comedy Punks documentary.

The Kids are still the funniest people in sho business, hands down. For the last 35 years, nobody else has even been able to come close. The new show includes some of the funniest work they've ever done - which means, of course, some of the funniest work anyone has ever done. I expected no less, of course.

I was not prepared, however, for Comedy Punks to take me through pretty much the full gamut of human emotions. So much beauty, so much tragedy, so much love.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Turning Red. Well... I will say that I respect that Disney made this one for a specific audience rather than going for their typical crowd-pleaser model. That's bold for them. The downside, of course, is that it very much is not a movie for everyone, and I wasn't in the target audience, so it wasn't, y'know, for me. Some of the cringe humor/general painful awkwardness early on was just plain excessive by anyone's standards, though. I've never seen a Disney movie try so hard to be aggressively uncomfortable, and they certainly pulled it off...

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:07 am Turning Red. Well... I will say that I respect that Disney made this one for a specific audience rather than going for their typical crowd-pleaser model. That's bold for them. The downside, of course, is that it very much is not a movie for everyone, and I wasn't in the target audience, so it wasn't, y'know, for me. Some of the cringe humor/general painful awkwardness early on was just plain excessive by anyone's standards, though. I've never seen a Disney movie try so hard to be aggressively uncomfortable, and they certainly pulled it off...
I still can't believe Disney/Pixar made a movie entirely involving around periods and puberty... :lol:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Titane has been on my watchlist ever since I heard of it, and after finally seeing it, eh it’s fine. The first half works pretty well when it’s taken as an exploitation flick, where it seems things pretty much happen with the sole intention of getting a rise of the audience (and is fun for what it is). That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the second half, I do, it just seems disjointed. I think the film might work better if there was a little more meat to the Alexis character. But as she stands, she’s just a vehicle (pun not intended) to get a “wtf” response from the audience, and give the character Vincent (who I find especially more interesting, albeit if a bit cliched) something to play off of. While the film can claim a unique premise, it’s only by being a smorgasbord of other ideas. This isn’t inherently a problem, but it directly draws comparisons to other works that resonated more with me. I may be completely incapable of understanding what it’s like to be pregnant, but I can say the whole “I’m giving birth to something alien” has been done ad nauseam, why would I watch this movie when I could watch the ten other body horror films about pregnancy? As far as the technical aspects go, the film is gorgeous, there’s hardly a scene that’s not visually striking, and the film does some fun things with color and mirrors. The acting is superb, both leads give very compelling performances. Yet despite this, and while I did overall enjoy it, it never really coalesced for me. Needless to say I liked the director’s debut film more.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun May 29, 2022 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Currently watching Tall Girl 2. Will let you guys know if it's as revolutionary as the first film was for the most marginalized cultural group in America: white women over six feet tall.

Edit: it was kinda cute.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun May 29, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.