The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by eabaker »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:09 am
eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:11 am
Just curious, is this also your first exposure to the films of Jack Hill?
As a matter of fact it is, any recommendation on what to watch next? I was probably going to go straight to Coffy.
Coffy will definitely work for someone who liked Foxy Brown. I'm a big fan of Switchblade Sisters, which is kind of a grab-bag of cool exploitation elements of the era (and partially works as a gender-swapped re-telling of Othello).

My favorite of his, though, is the black and white horror comedy Spider Baby. Very different from his subsequent work, but a movie that earns its "cult classic" status through and through.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Can confirm: Spider Baby is absolutely wonderful. Charming, strange, and completely endearing. Cannot recommend it enough.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

A page back or so I said I watched Warlords of Atlantis.

Now i've seen that movie a couple of times before as well as the next two i'm going to mention. After watching Warlords of Atlantis it urged me to go back through the other Amicus films with Doug McClure. The first one was At The Earth's Core. I've always enjoyed the feel of this movie as well as the fun as hell plot and funky looking monster suits. I really love the idea of a Dictatorship led by a group of Telepathic Rhamphorhyncus. Very unusual indeed. Peter Cushing's line "You cannot mesmerize me, I'm British!" is of course a classic. So Doug McClure's character is forced into a romantic courtship with Caroline Munro's character after getting into a fight to defend her honor. How devastating that must be, Caroline Munro in her prime.

So that leaves The Land That Time Forgot as the other movie. I kind of like how this one starts as a World War II movie and even the German U-Boat crew have a human side to them with personal character traits. The dinosaur effects have a lot of charm to them even if they are of their time and made only a few years before the big Star Wars effects revolution.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Well, I got the bug to watch Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness. Usually I watch these around Halloween, but I want to start Ash vs Evil Dead over again so I'm watching these to get in the spirit.
I friggin love Evil Dead II! It's the movie that got me into horror, and shaped my horror tastes no question. It's just condensed passion for filmmaking, and it has so many thrills and surprises.
Bruce Campbell really gives it his all. Can't wait to revisit Captain Supermarket!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:59 pm
I friggin love Evil Dead II! It's the movie that got me into horror, and shaped my horror tastes no question. It's just condensed passion for filmmaking, and it has so many thrills and surprises.
Bruce Campbell really gives it his all.
Yeah, I feel like Evil Dead II is the most pure, undiluted Sam Raimi cinematic vision we've ever gotten.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:59 pm I friggin love Evil Dead II! It's the movie that got me into horror, and shaped my horror tastes no question. It's just condensed passion for filmmaking, and it has so many thrills and surprises.
I also attribute it as one of the movies that got me into horror, although I can't deny the influence of the Alien/Predator movies and John Carpenter's The Thing here as well.

Maybe it's fairer to say that Evil Dead 2 was what got me into horror movies that weren't creature features. Although it's debatable if Deadites count.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Spuro wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:48 pm
Maybe it's fairer to say that Evil Dead 2 was what got me into horror movies that weren't creature features. Although it's debatable if Deadites count.
Funny enough, I used to be a little baby about horror, even including Alien and Predator movies, which I'd force myself to sit thru because the monsters were cool :lol:

I also watched Army of Darkness last night. I used to kinda not care for it, and I still get a little chafed at now goofy it gets at the windmill. But still such a fun movie.
eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:53 pm Yeah, I feel like Evil Dead II is the most pure, undiluted Sam Raimi cinematic vision we've ever gotten.
I dunno man, Army seems like pretty concentrated Sam, though I think maybe Evil Dead II is more focused. I also feel like Darkman might fall into that category. guess I'll have to watch that this week too...
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Watched in the mood for love, and really enjoyed it, it definitely left me to wrestle with some of my perspectives in life.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Watched the 2nd part of the Paramount+ South Park Streaming Wars special. It was...okay. I cant believe Parker and Stone got paid almost a billion dollars to make this stuff for the streaming service and it just feels so phoned in.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:35 pm A page back or so I said I watched Warlords of Atlantis.

Now i've seen that movie a couple of times before as well as the next two i'm going to mention. After watching Warlords of Atlantis it urged me to go back through the other Amicus films with Doug McClure. The first one was At The Earth's Core. I've always enjoyed the feel of this movie as well as the fun as hell plot and funky looking monster suits. I really love the idea of a Dictatorship led by a group of Telepathic Rhamphorhyncus. Very unusual indeed. Peter Cushing's line "You cannot mesmerize me, I'm British!" is of course a classic. So Doug McClure's character is forced into a romantic courtship with Caroline Munro's character after getting into a fight to defend her honor. How devastating that must be, Caroline Munro in her prime.

So that leaves The Land That Time Forgot as the other movie. I kind of like how this one starts as a World War II movie and even the German U-Boat crew have a human side to them with personal character traits. The dinosaur effects have a lot of charm to them even if they are of their time and made only a few years before the big Star Wars effects revolution.
Don't forget the film The People that Time Forgot. And I sure wish Amicus could've lasted long enough to have made Out of Time's Abyss into a film and thus finish the Caspak Trilogy.

Logan268
Gotengo Officer

Post by Logan268 »

I watched all 42 films made by Dreamworks Animation, there were great films, good films and a couple bad films but overall more positives then negatives

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Just finished Stranger Things 4, after rewatching the past 3 seasons. Helluva ending. With that out of the way im going to finally try and get caught up on The Walking Dead after not watching for like 4 years.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:35 pm Don't forget the film The People that Time Forgot. And I sure wish Amicus could've lasted long enough to have made Out of Time's Abyss into a film and thus finish the Caspak Trilogy.
I have that movie on dvd as well. I don't like it nearly as much as the other three.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

As I mentioned in the books thread, I'm doing a rundown of adaptations to Conrad's Heart of Darkness, starting with the 1958 tele-play from Playhouse 90. Its really not special or worth seeking out, but it was interesting enough as an adaptation as it had quite a few artistic liberties with the story (although many not for the better). I don't want to eat up this thread with walls of text, so if anyone wants to follow my silly little journey, I'll be reviewing each film on my letterboxd page https://letterboxd.com/Zaddy_mcDaddy/.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:22 amIf only Warner Archive would release a decent transfer of Warlords on home video.
It's on TCM tonight at 1 AM, apparently its premiere on that channel -- maybe a good sign for a video release?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

ShinWataru
Ronin

Post by ShinWataru »

Wife and I finished The Boys Season 3 Thursday
Then Ms Marvel Friday
Yesterday we started Resident Evil and it's horrible

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

1995's anime sci-fi anthology Memories and 2013's Under the Skin.

I don't really have anything to add on Memories that hasn't been said before about it. The animation is fantastic throughout, but the real showstopper is the first short, Magnetic Rose, that despite sharing a lot of similarities with Tarkovsky's Solaris, is still a beautiful worthwhile and transformative piece. In many ways I wish Netflix's Love Death + Robots was more like this (as silly a request that may be). It also is a shame, because it really outshines the other two shorts. The second story Stink Bomb is mildly amusing, but so tonally distinct from the other two it almost comes off as a distraction. I'd probably enjoy it more solo. The final piece is the most artistically distinct in its animation aesthetic, and is enjoyable, somewhat reminiscent (albeit superficially) of the Hammer segments of Pink Floyd's The Wall. Perhaps, however, the greatest weakness to the anthology is not variable quality, but lack of a coherent tone or theme, which is a shame because there really is some great stuff here.

Under the Skin is an enjoyable sci fi piece that I'm still trying to gauge how I feel about it overall. For starters, I'm not entirely convinced it really has a lot to say about its themes, although think it handles the concept of feeling out of place in one's body much better than 2021's Titane (yet I am unable to articulate why). Outside of that, its certainly technically proficient and gorgeous to look at. The soundtrack, while derivative of something like Mark Snow's work on the X files, does a fantastic job of establishing a moody and foreign atmosphere. I'll probably give this one a re-watch in a year or two to really cement my feelings towards it.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Been going back through and watching Trigun on YouTube. I enjoyed it back when it first aired on Adult Swim but I missed about half the episodes. I got in the good and figured it was a good time to go back through and watch the whole thing.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I watched Prey, and it was good. Felt like an old school blockbuster any TRUE RED WHITE AND BLUE American would like.

Not perfect or a cinematic masterpiece, but I know if I'd seen it in a theater, everybody woulda left happy.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Hey guys just me here here once again.

I last watched the Dracula parody Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

A surprising movie that makes for a better Dracula homage movie than parody. A lot of styles from various Dracula movies are recreated really well. Like the set design from the Bela Lugosi movie and technicolor sets from the Hammer movies.

Peter McNicol is great as Renfield and recaptures the mannerisms of Dwight Frye really well.