Legendary's Gundam Official Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Legendary's Gundam Official Thread

Post by _JNavs_ »

So Legendary Pictures is trucking ahead with another popular Japanese icon. It's been announced that Legendary will be making a Live Action GUNDAM film, with Jordan Vogt Roberts (Kong Skull Island) at the directing helm, and Brian K. Vaughan writing.

Figured I'd make this thread for future reference.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... -xo04aPb3e
Legendary Entertainment and Kong: Skull Island director Jordan Vogt-Roberts are teaming up to work on a live-action Gundam movie that will stream exclusively on Netflix.

Details about the project, operating under the working title GUNDAM, are limited at this time. Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Runaways) is writing the screenplay and will also act as an executive producer. The movie will stream on Netflix globally except in China where Legendary will distribute the film. There is no set release date for the film yet. He’s joined by Cale Boyter who will oversee the project on behalf of Legendary and original Gundam studio, Sunrise. Jason Young, director of the original film at Netflix, will also oversee the project.
Added in 16 minutes 15 seconds:
Wonder if they'll be taking all the experiences they learned with Pacific Rim and Godzilla vs Kong to create the best mech film we've seen yet.

(And hopefully it's no Uprising)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:06 am, edited 7 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

NSZ
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Legendary's Gundam Official Thread

Post by NSZ »

I'm game. JVR directing makes this exciting for me.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Jordan Vogt-Roberts is directing. It's definitely got my attention.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

Sweet. I have almost no experience with the Gundam franchise, but Legendary taking on another Japanese sci-fi property is exciting all the same.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

Mirroring a recent post from another thread...

I've been meaning to get into Kamen Rider Gundam for a while now, or at least watch the original series, so Shin Kamen Rider a live-action Gundam movie directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts seems like good incentive to go ahead and jump into all that.
~ Tyler

"... the whole world could wake up and live again."

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I recently watched the OG series, from way back in the 80s I believe? It really reminded me of Star Wars, seeing an intergalactic regime invading a planet for resources, and rebellion starfighters (and a giant robot).

If they could turn the live action GUNDAM film into Star Wars meets Pacific Rim, I'd be ecstatic.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Chrispy_G
G-Grasper

Post by Chrispy_G »

I just hate that it is Netfli. No matter how good "4K streaming" is...it will always be a comedown from the best image you could get on a 4K disc, and Netflix generally doesn't release their films on disc...they SOMETIMES release their big hit series like Stranger Things, or license their Awards films to Criterion or someone else, but as a general rule they don't do it.

Fingers crossed Legendary maybe gave a damn about a home market release and perhaps has some kind of clause in there for an eventual home market release.

I hate the idea of ANY potentially great content becoming "Streaming exclusive only"...but that is the world we live in.
"The things you cling to? They are old, and getting older."

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Here's to hoping they at least attempt to incorporate some of the anti-war/anti-nationalism themes pervasive to the series (especially the 0079 run) instead of just "Wow cool robots". If JVR can pull that off, I'm confident he can tackle that Metal Gear film he's also making.

Though Brian K Vaughan is writing this, so Im cautiously optimistic.
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.

I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.
G2000 wrote:What is a pride parade but a loud and public assertion that Christianity is no longer the dominant moral force in America?
#Pro-Choice

DynomikeGojira
G-Force Personnel

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'm game that Jordan Vogt Roberts is doing this so this now one of my most anticipated upcoming releases. Ready Player One prepared me for Gundam and MechaGodzilla now I need The Iron Giant.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I'm super excited for this. Was already interested by JVR (a man who proved he knows how to do big battles with a unique flair and make a solid anti-war series), I am actually confident in where this goes.

(I do admit it's sad now I have to add Gundam to the ever increasing "list of series I'm planning on getting into" lmao)

They could talk to each other?

To a degree we never imagined......

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Please don't suck.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"