Mortal Kombat (2021)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Didn't see a thread so figured I'd do the honors.

On another note its been pushed back a week so April 23rd now it'll come out.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

Chrispy_G
G-Grasper

Re: Mortal Kombat (2021)

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'm very interested in it. I have a lot of nostalgia for the 1995 film(not the sequel)....but this clearly looks like a much more faithful and legitimate adaptation of the source material, so I am very excited about that.
"The things you cling to? They are old, and getting older."

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

I would’ve preferred an HBO series. I think Video games generally speaking lend themselves better to TV shows than feature films.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XxComablack1937xX
Futurian

Post by XxComablack1937xX »

I am surprisingly hyped as hell for it... Especially seeing Scorpion and Sub Zero, I really hope this doesn't disappoint.

I always have a lot of fun with the Original 1995 film, the sequel is beyond bad though... It's better we ignore it's existence.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken - Oscar Wilde

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe

I wanted to be where nobody I knew could ever come. ― Sylvia Plath

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough. - William Blake

Chrispy_G
G-Grasper

Post by Chrispy_G »

XxComablack1937xX wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:22 pm I always have a lot of fun with the Original 1995 film, the sequel is beyond bad though... It's better we ignore it's existence.
100% agree

The nice thing about showing my younger brother vintage movies is I get to just NOT show him all the bad/unnecessary sequels.
"The things you cling to? They are old, and getting older."

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

In preparation for this film. I'll watch the 1995 film. Watch it probably on the 16th given that was this films previous release date.

That way too I can compare the films.
My rules:

XxComablack1937xX
Futurian

Post by XxComablack1937xX »

I just watched the new Mortal Kombat, wasn't bad but wasn't great.... Highlights are both Sub Zero and Scorpion fights.
Kano was pretty funny. Reptile was cool despite them spoiling his death in the trailer... As well as a couple others.

Film really started to pick up towards the end as the actual Tournament approaches.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken - Oscar Wilde

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe

I wanted to be where nobody I knew could ever come. ― Sylvia Plath

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough. - William Blake

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Dude, I'm so hyped for this and I'm not even that big of an MK fan.

It just looks great and I feel like the characters have been done a ton of justice.

Again, this might be my Sub-Zero and Scorpion stanning being happy they're not footnotes like the first movie but...

They could talk to each other?

To a degree we never imagined......

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Decided to watch Scorpion's Revenge tonight as well in preparation for Friday.

I am ready! MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rules:

Cryptid_Liker
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I wish they didn't show any fatalities in the trailer. But hey, at least Reptile looks cool enough.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Just saw this, my thoughts - pretty good, some bad ass fights, some sick fatalities, Sub-Zero's fights were the best.

Actually, and oddly, take away the ice powers and Sub-Zero in this movie is a lot like how I imagine the ideal Shredder in live action should be...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Watching in 20 minutes. Is there a post-credit scene?
My rules:

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:41 am Watching in 20 minutes. Is there a post-credit scene?
No.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I just finished watching the new Mortal Kombat film...

Wow...What a disappointment that was. It just felt so bland, lifeless and didn't have the energy as the games did. The serious tone did not mesh well with it. What made Mortal Kombat great was its goofy tone that the 1995 film and even Scorpion's Revenge had.

The fact an animated film was better then this and couldn't live up to that is sad...

I gave no skreeonk about this Cole Young guy, why was he even created
Spoiler:
When Johnny Cage easily could have filled the role instead minus the whole descendant of Hanzo Harashi/Scorpion. Guess what the most we get out of Johnny Cage is him being teased at the end.
Spoiler:
For the majority of the film, Scorpion isn't even in until near the end where he fights Sub-Zero with Cole Young. For being the face and mascot of the series, you'd think he would have a more major role. He may have been some random mook in the 1995 film but even in that his role was bigger.

Also why suddenly make Shang Tsung emperor and not Shao Kahn?

Felt nothing out of any of the characters in this film either. The characters in the 1995 film and Scorpion's Revenge actually had character, had personality.
I'll be sticking to the 1995 film and Scorpion's Revenge. I look forward more to a potential sequel to the latter than I will of this generic bland fest.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
My rules:

DynomikeGojira
G-Force Personnel

Post by DynomikeGojira »

It was ok but how they treated so of the characters was lame and the story left a lot to be desired. 5/10

Cryptid_Liker
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just watched it. The characters (especially Cole) were generic af, the CGI was lackluster (especially on Goro), and only one or two of the fatalities actually feel like, y'know, fatalities.
Spoiler:
Sub-Zero's death was the biggest let-down. I'm fine with Scorpion fire-breathing him to death but all it did was make his skin flakey. Make his eyes pop, have his skin turn to fluid on the ground, just do something better than... that.
At least, the overall action was pretty good.

Mac Daddy MM
EDF Instructor

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeaaah. As a fan of the games, this movie was a pretty big let down. The fights are good and fatalities good, but everything beyond that was just generic as hell. It really doesn't do anything better than the 1995 film. You can tell they were trying to focus on Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero and I'm thinking they should have just DONE that, instead of throwing everyone else in as main characters to. The one thing that REALLY irks me about this movie, and I'm going to put it in spoilers but you're gonna want it spoiled so its not such a hard blow...
Spoiler:
How they handled the "powers" each champion gets. The dragon mark is the invite and if you get beat up/mad enough, it unlocks your power. So Kano's laser eye? No longer a part of his cybernetics, which he doesn't even have. Sonya's energy rings? Just shot from her hands, no weapons needed. Jax's robotic arms? Just "grow" over these cheap, tiny arms the monks replace his severed ones with.
I liked the actors for the established characters, but there's no real reason for some of them. I do think MK95's Raiden was better though. But he was Christopher Lambert, and that's hard to top. Reptile was a complete waste. Goro was a waste. I knew going in that Nitara and Reiko were just going to be fatality fodder, and I was right. Mileena was wasted. Kabal was almost wasted. At least he had some good lines, even if there's no rhyme nor reason for him knowing Kano given. And Cole was completely unneeded.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero were cool. Even if Scorpion only does anything at the end.

... And Shang Tsung. Yep, as I expected. No where near as good as Tegawa. Should have just cast him in the role again.

I'll be watching it again in a lil, just to see if there's anything I really missed.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

A much better title for this film is Mortal Komplaint because there's so many things wrong with this film.
My rules:

Mac Daddy MM
EDF Instructor

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just finished it (again, prolly for the last time for a while at that). And I say, I really didn't miss anything. I will say I love Kano's actor and I think he captured his personality PERFECTLY. Just wish he was given more... Kano-isms.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It felt real 90s, some actors didn't know how to act, the camera angles felt like something from 1993, and the story took place on what looked like one giant set piece.

But I'd watch more, as Sub Zero and Scorpion were both iconic, both want solo movies, and both are strong enough acting wise to carry them.

...Or a trilogy of them as the protags :shock:

Can we talk about how
Spoiler:
Sub went Noob Saibot when he pulled off his vest during that fight scene? So dope.
ImageImageImageImageImage