Mortal Kombat (2021)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Re: Mortal Kombat (2021)

Post by KManX89 »

I watched Mortal Kombat yesterday, it's... fine, I guess. As you probably guessed, I LOVED the gore and fatalities. The #1 selling point, and they didn't disappoint. I also loved that they wasted absolutely no time showing it off in the opening, and do a damn good job of it, too, that opening montage was something else. However, the characters and story are very much a mixed bag. Outside of Kano and I guess Kabal and Sonya (who BTW, looks damn fine with her new actress, Jessica McNamee), no one else really looks like they want to be there or are given much to do. The new main character in particular, Cole, a nonameface who's just handed the lead role of a videogame-adapted franchise he was never apart of (where have I seen THAT before?) in particular was not very interesting. If you're gonna make a whole new character and give him the lead role with a MASSIVE lore at your disposal, actually give us a reason to care because I didn't see it. Kudos to Kano for really trying to keep me interested, he really hammers it home. His performance kinda reminded me of Endgame Thor's, except with some F-bombs thrown in for good measure.

It also suffers from some questionable editing (earth to filmmakers: jump cuts are skreeonking annoying) and not really showing anyone in pain or any of the impacts of the hits until the fatalities. There's also plot holes, which I can't really get into without jumping into spoilers, so be that as it may...
Spoiler:
They actually killed people outside (before) the official tournament, which is forbidden by tournament rules, but, as Shang Tsung points out, the other Gods won't intervene, and it's never explained why they won't, or can't, stop it.
It's solidly-paced, though (with Kano's character having a big helping hand, he steals the show when people aren't getting cut and ripped to bloody pieces), and the fights, when they do come, are brutal and fantastic outside of said minor editing issues.
Spoiler:
They also jumped back-and-forth between fights at the end, which I personally didn't have a problem with and understood why they did it, I thought it was a fine way of having one giant moshpit battle to cap it off, it's the cutting around during the actual fights that boggled my mind.
I'll give it a somewhat generous 6/10. I view it as a Freddy vs. Jason: if you want brutal, bloody, entertaining fights and kills, you'll have a solid time, just don't expect much else. Then again, this is the same way I felt about the first Mortal Kombat, which I admittedly really enjoyed when I first saw it as a kid (the fights were enough to draw me out of any narrative issues at the time) so much that I blind-bought Annihilation on DVD and was flabbergasted at how much of a downgrade it was from the original at every level, but then I rewatched it during my Junior year in high school and it didn't age all that well. I guess you really do become more privy to certain details as you grow older (I also remember enjoying Batman and Robin as a kid, and not in a "so bad it's good" way, either). Both are still two of the better videogame adaptations out there, though, all things considered, which isn't saying much (I actually didn't think the first Paul Anderson Resident Evil movie was THAT bad, sue me).
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

DynomikeGojira
G-Force Personnel

Post by DynomikeGojira »

After sitting on it for a few days here's my current thought but me and my girlfriend who is a major Mortal Kombat fan really have to agree with GodzillaFan1990's in that this is a disappointing adaption with a storyline that doesn't make since and most of the characters were jobbers who paled in comparion to there video game counterparts. I still think there potential with these iterations of the characters so I hope it does well enough to justify a sequel just get a different writer and director.
Spoiler:

This movie was meh the story was terrible and all the characters besides Sub-Zero, Scorpion and Kano were bland and boring. Th fight edits sucked besides the opening. The motivations just didn't make sense like why would Shang want to cheat when he's just one tournament away away from winning Earthrealm and his fighters certainly proved the they could handle anyone beside Kung Lao. Liu Kang was a disappointment and contradictory character in that they couldn't decide on whether they wanted him to be a veteran and an expierenced fighter or a rookie so did did both and hoped we wouldn't notice. Most of the MK characters were complete jobbers and robbed them of there badassery. Kano dialogue practically saved this film from being completely dreadful when Sub-Zero or Scorpion isn't around. Worst movie I've seen since The Predator but there enough potential where I would like to see a sequel with a better writer and director because I don't have a problem with the casting for the most part besides Mileena. 5/10 on a good day 3/ 10 on a bad day.
Last edited by DynomikeGojira on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zasraniec
Monsterland Worker

Post by Zasraniec »

I saw it recently. To put it quickly I really liked it. It wasn't perfect or anything and was stale in some parts like how the characters translated to the movie and story. However for what it was worth I really liked the action. Very similar to GvK in my book. Sloppy in a lot of parts but the entertaining battles make it worth it! I definitely liked it a lot more than that old one made a while back.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Can anyone explain to me that absolute bullshit of "Maybe if I get really really angry I'll get my special super power!!!".

Does Kano need Netherrealm to rebuild his face with a built in laser? No, JUST GET REALLY MAD.

Does Jax need top of the line surgery for his arms? Nope, JUST GET REALLY MAD.

Sonya gets angry and starts shooting purple energy from her arms?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mac Daddy MM
EDF Instructor

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:31 pm Can anyone explain to me that absolute bullshit of "Maybe if I get really really angry I'll get my special super power!!!".

Does Kano need Netherrealm to rebuild his face with a built in laser? No, JUST GET REALLY MAD.

Does Jax need top of the line surgery for his arms? Nope, JUST GET REALLY MAD.

Sonya gets angry and starts shooting purple energy from her arms?
Yep. And that, right there, is my biggest issue with the film. There was no reason to NOT have Sonya just used her gadgets and Jax just get his new arms in the traditional method. Kano could of had his cybernetic eye throughout the whole movie and it'd had made no real difference.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
Interpol Agent

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Loved the movie it was great. Probably my second favorite video game movie after the original 95 Mortal Kombat movie, duh.

Kabal's onscreen depiction was great. His costume and tornado rush, fantastic. Kano was great, interesting how he is more of an interesting main character for the audience than Cole Young. Kano is the one asking about getting powers, what the tournament is and all that stuff. To the surprise of no one Cole Young isn't that great of a character. For a second there I thought he might become Scorpion, like a host body for him to take physical form. Although I imagine that might be extremely unpopular if they had done that.

Raiden and Shang Tsung were not as interesting as their 95 actor counterparts.

Liu Kang and Kung Lao could have been better if they had been the main characters, their costumes and powers were great. Maybe Scorpion just should have been the main character, it worked in Scorpion's Revenge and was an interesting perspective.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Cole Young's character was so bland, generic, lifeless, and boring even a piece of toast, hell even paper or a sock had more personality than him.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

ROMG4
JXSDF Technician

Post by ROMG4 »

I do agree that they really should have allowed Kano, Sonya and Jax to have their technology. I suppose they wanted to make it even "Have everyone gain it from arcane source" but even if the result is the same it removes a lot of detail from their backgrounds

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Mac Daddy MM
EDF Instructor

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:15 pm Substituting Johnny Cage with Cole Young is a testament to today's increasingly Orwellian, overly sensitive PC cancel culture.
... What?

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

I felt Liu Kang and Kung Lao had no reason to be rude to Kano, but they were incessantly jerks to him.
Most of the movie is stupid and I'm not a fan of it, I think it's watchable once, but the future will probably have me bored on repeat viewings.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rurouni Senator wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:48 pm I felt Liu Kang and Kung Lao had no reason to be rude to Kano, but they were incessantly jerks to him.
Most of the movie is stupid and I'm not a fan of it, I think it's watchable once, but the future will probably have me bored on repeat viewings.
They did it on purpose, and Kano had plenty of reasons to get cracked on. Such as being completely disrespectful to the Heirs of the Dragon and Lord Raiden, and everyone else.

The arcana stuff may have been stuffed in, but I don't think the movie was particularly stupid or that any character was particularly out of character.
ImageImageImageImageImage