Boutique Blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Boutique Blu-ray

Post by canofhumdingers »

^this thread is specifically about home video, not toys. And there weren’t any new Godzilla home video releases to tie in to GvsK (except the home video release of that film itself). There was (FINALLY) a Blu ray release of King Kong ‘76 in the US, but that was about it for home video studios “cashing in on the hype” of a new Godzilla/Kong movie.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:42 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:57 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:52 pm The prevailing rumor is Citizen Kane as it was one of Criterion’s very first releases back on Laserdisc and they’ve had the rights since 2016, apparently.
Oh, that seems almost too much of a slam dunk to not do it. It would be VERY VERY interesting if Criterion considered starting a new line of numbering for their 4K spines...going back to #1. I think they did that for DVD(which eventually rolled into Blu Ray) and for some of their other off-shoot labels. It would be interesting if they branded their 4K releases as some specialty "premium" label above their main line of spines...or simply decided to restart with the new format.
Angilasman wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:00 pm The original Kong has also gone OOP on Blu-ray. Wouldn't surprise me if Criterion also had that in store - like Kane, it was one of their early laserdiscs.
That would be cool to see. I would have expected whoever has the current rights to that one(Not sure if WB or Universal) to go for something like that THIS year with the Godzilla vs Kong release...but it seems that GvK ultimately didn't inspire any new kind of wave of Godzilla or Kong releases. Also a decent chance the lockdowns kept/prevented Studios from pursuing "tie-ins" like that as much as they normally might have in other circumstances.
I wouldn't say there's been no new wave of Godzilla or Kong releases...the toys are all out there in stores (btw, how are they selling?).
My nephew has a ton. I should have specified that I was referring to new home market releases of past films. Universal didn't even jump on any kind of bare bones re-issue of King Kong vs Godzilla, which seems to at least be the bare minimum when a new version of an old film comes out. I remember "Mad Max" copies on the shelf with the cover designed to vaguely invoke Fury Road, even though it was the original film.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 am
mikelcho wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:42 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:57 pm

Oh, that seems almost too much of a slam dunk to not do it. It would be VERY VERY interesting if Criterion considered starting a new line of numbering for their 4K spines...going back to #1. I think they did that for DVD(which eventually rolled into Blu Ray) and for some of their other off-shoot labels. It would be interesting if they branded their 4K releases as some specialty "premium" label above their main line of spines...or simply decided to restart with the new format.

That would be cool to see. I would have expected whoever has the current rights to that one(Not sure if WB or Universal) to go for something like that THIS year with the Godzilla vs Kong release...but it seems that GvK ultimately didn't inspire any new kind of wave of Godzilla or Kong releases. Also a decent chance the lockdowns kept/prevented Studios from pursuing "tie-ins" like that as much as they normally might have in other circumstances.
I wouldn't say there's been no new wave of Godzilla or Kong releases...the toys are all out there in stores (btw, how are they selling?).
My nephew has a ton. I should have specified that I was referring to new home market releases of past films. Universal didn't even jump on any kind of bare bones re-issue of King Kong vs Godzilla, which seems to at least be the bare minimum when a new version of an old film comes out. I remember "Mad Max" copies on the shelf with the cover designed to vaguely invoke Fury Road, even though it was the original film.
I suspect that Criterion's licensing of the Showa flicks may have prevented any re-releases by other distributors for the time being.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

eabaker wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:36 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 am
mikelcho wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:42 am I wouldn't say there's been no new wave of Godzilla or Kong releases...the toys are all out there in stores (btw, how are they selling?).
I suspect that Criterion's licensing of the Showa flicks may have prevented any re-releases by other distributors for the time being.
I am sure for all of the films outside of King Kong vs Godzilla that is true as Criterion is now basically the out-and-out home market rights holder for those films in the US...but King Kong vs Godzilla was gotten specially for Universal, and I am sure no release from Criterion would prevent Uni from doing a re-issue of their own. I think they put the KKVG steelbook out the same year the Criterion release happened, I THINK.

Not that Uni would give a crap about any 'new' release of that film, whether it be decked out, bare bones, with or without a new transfer.

But I kinda figured that maybe, at worst, you would see Sony or some of the holders of the Heisei-Millennium films drop a new re-issue, or maybe some 'sets' or 'collections' with multiple films in larger cases...anything they could slap together and throw on shelves to move some units.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:34 pm ^ Hopefully that's enough convincing for a Solid Metal Nightmares Vol 2 with everything else Tsukamoto's done (Hiruko the Goblin, Nightmare Detective 1 and 2, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man, Fires on the Plain, etc.). Not sure how Gemini would fit in with Mondo Macabro having recently released it.
Hopefully something promising on this front -

Nikkatsu Adds Restored Title ‘Hiruko the Goblin’ to Cannes Market Slate

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Mondo has licensed Hiruko for release this fall.

Which leaves only Fires on the Plain, Tetsuo 3, and the two Nightmare Detective films before we've got the complete Tsukumoto available here.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

3-D Blu-ray/DVD of Robot Monster coming from 3-D Film Archive, from a 4K restoration. The Kickstarter has already been fully funded.

This is also especially promising news for the eventual release of the other films controlled by Wade Williams. Fingers crossed for the original version of Rocketship X-M and Invaders from Mars...
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Nifty!

And it'll be new-school 3-D and old-school red&green 3-D!

I'd love if they re-released It Came From Outer Space and the first two Creature films in the old-school 3-D, as the fad of 3-D players/discs is over.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Angilasman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:08 pm ^ Nifty!

And it'll be new-school 3-D and old-school red&green 3-D!

I'd love if they re-released It Came From Outer Space and the first two Creature films in the old-school 3-D, as the fad of 3-D players/discs is over.
Red/cyan 3-D isn’t “old school”. It’s cheaper. Many of the classic 3-D films from the 50’s were originally shown with superior polarized lense technology, very much (if not the same) as modern 3-D cinema of the last few decades.

For example, Creature From the Black Lagoon wasn’t converted from polarized (gray lenses) to anaglyph (red/cyan) 3-D until it’s 1975 re-release.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I had no idea!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Angilasman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:30 pm I had no idea!
Kinda fun story, neither did I until I met Julie Adams (plays Kay Lawrence in the CftBL) at a con around a decade ago. I was getting her autograph and we were talking to her and she asked if I’d seen the film in 3D, which got us to talking about the format. And she told me how it wasn’t the red and green glasses like everyone thinks. And that the 3D in the ‘50’s was so much better than what most people assume of it based on the anaglyph stuff. I was amazed! She also said the Gill-man was a very soft green and did not have those garish red lips you see in all the promo material.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Universal has a MOD blu-ray program (pressed discs, comparable to Warner Archive) and they're gonna start releasing the classic Woody Woodpecker shorts on Blu! Classic theatrical animation is my fav, but I've seen very little of this character. Exciting!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Angilasman wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:51 am ^ Mondo has licensed Hiruko for release this fall.

Which leaves only Fires on the Plain, Tetsuo 3, and the two Nightmare Detective films before we've got the complete Tsukumoto available here.
Chu Ishikawa music intensifies

Not sure if anime applies but I made the thread!!

The GKIDS Eva set will be available for preorder soon -
In a landmark acquisition by GKIDS for the theatrical, home video, and EST rights, the original twenty-six episode television series, NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, as well as the films EVANGELION:DEATH (TRUE)2 and THE END OF EVANGELION will be released on Blu-ray and digital download to own for the first time in North America, later in 2021.
https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-gene ... utm_id=NGE

And Discotek will release Gunbuster -
Originally produced by Gainax in the late 1980s, Gunbuster is a six-episode OVA directed by Neon Genesis Evangelion creator Hideaki Anno. The sci-fi series features several high school children training to become pilots and defeat insectoid aliens using mecha. A sequel series named Diebuster was also released back in 2004, to commemorate Gainax’s 20th anniversary.
https://www.siliconera.com/gunbuster-is ... b-in-2022/

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Saw that! I wonder what their Future Boy Conan release will be like.

88 Films have added 4 more Shaw Brothers titles for dual UK/US release before the end of the year.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

In addition to the much Ballyhoo-d first Criterion UHD releases, Criterion's November slate also includes a box set of all 6 Once Upon a Time in China films!

The second half of 2021 is insane for home video.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Hoo doggy that Citizen Kane cover is...well, it's unique, I'll give it that...

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

tbeasley wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:39 pm The GKIDS Eva set will be available for preorder soon -
In a landmark acquisition by GKIDS for the theatrical, home video, and EST rights, the original twenty-six episode television series, NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, as well as the films EVANGELION:DEATH (TRUE)2 and THE END OF EVANGELION will be released on Blu-ray and digital download to own for the first time in North America, later in 2021.
https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-gene ... utm_id=NGE

And Discotek will release Gunbuster -
Originally produced by Gainax in the late 1980s, Gunbuster is a six-episode OVA directed by Neon Genesis Evangelion creator Hideaki Anno. The sci-fi series features several high school children training to become pilots and defeat insectoid aliens using mecha. A sequel series named Diebuster was also released back in 2004, to commemorate Gainax’s 20th anniversary.
https://www.siliconera.com/gunbuster-is ... b-in-2022/

Interesting...I sold my ADV NGE DVD's a while back. I still probably wouldn't purchase new Blu Rays, but I wonder if they will have the original end theme (take me to the moon) and dubs, or would it basically be what is currently on Netflix?

Also- Gunbuster has me excited. I actually copied from a video store the US Renditions VHS way back in the 90's. I also got the Honnemaise (sp?) DVD set, but one of the discs was scratched, and because it had such a low production run, I was never able to get a replacement. Of course I've had it via other means for a while, but I'd sure support a Blu-Ray release, especially from Discotek, they have been knocking it our of the park, offering at least one classic Super Robot or Mecha series per month, I've had plenty to keep me going.

I actually got Diebuster (sometimes advertised as Gunbuster 2), when it was released on DVD a while back. although the two series are really nothing alike. I sold those DVD's as well, as the series wasn't very good IMHO.

A Blu ray of Gunbsuter though will be very exciting.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

A Night at the Opera from Warner Archive in September!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:58 am 3-D Blu-ray/DVD of Robot Monster coming from 3-D Film Archive, from a 4K restoration. The Kickstarter has already been fully funded.

This is also especially promising news for the eventual release of the other films controlled by Wade Williams. Fingers crossed for the original version of Rocketship X-M and Invaders from Mars...
No one's backed this project, and only six days left as of today (8-17-21)! Hope it gets some love soon.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:36 am
Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:58 am 3-D Blu-ray/DVD of Robot Monster coming from 3-D Film Archive, from a 4K restoration. The Kickstarter has already been fully funded.

No one's backed this project, and only six days left as of today (8-17-21)! Hope it gets some love soon.
What the actual hell are you talking about

It's surpassed it's goal by ~500%.