Boutique Blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Boutique Blu-ray

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:43 am
mikelcho wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:36 am
Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:58 am 3-D Blu-ray/DVD of Robot Monster coming from 3-D Film Archive, from a 4K restoration. The Kickstarter has already been fully funded.

This is also especially promising news for the eventual release of the other films controlled by Wade Williams. Fingers crossed for the original version of Rocketship X-M and Invaders from Mars...
No one's backed this project, and only six days left as of today (8-17-21)! Hope it gets some love soon.
What the actual hell are you talking about

It's surpassed it's goal by ~500%.
My bad; I didn't see that at first.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I'm so pumped for the Once Upon a Time in China set. I picked up the DVD set of the first 3 a few months ago at the used place and since they were Sony-produced DVDs from around 2003 I thought they'd look decent upscaled. The Sony Godzilla discs from the same era look pretty good, right?

Terrible quality! The worst looking DVD I've ever seen. It must've looked just as bad on an old CRT set. It was like watching Jet Li via a '90s Webcam. I can enjoy a fuzzy vhs, but not this. Couldn't watch it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

https://www.polygon.com/22632212/neon-g ... te-edition
Well, I guess I'm not grabbing the Evangelion Blu ray. Final price is $300+. ($274 if you preorder)
It's a 26 episode series and 2 movies. That's all I want, I don't care about all the promotional crap they cram into the box.
I just want the series, man.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:03 am https://www.polygon.com/22632212/neon-g ... te-edition
Well, I guess I'm not grabbing the Evangelion Blu ray. Final price is $300+. ($274 if you preorder)
It's a 26 episode series and 2 movies. That's all I want, I don't care about all the promotional crap they cram into the box.
The fuck? Well, that's disappointing. I'll get it if Amazon marks it down to less than $100, but no way am I paying anything like full price.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

This is just the super fancy edition for super-fans. Other (presumably cheaper) editions will be announced.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Kadokawa's Sailor Suit and the Machine Gun has been announced for November from Arrow! Let the Kadokawa titles commence!
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sailor-S ... ay/290921/
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Mel Brooks' Dracula is finally coming to Bluray from Shout Factory! About damn time I say.

"We are in luck... he is an imbecile!"
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Remember how earlier this year Warner fired the staff of the Warner Archive and the releases, going into next year, are all stuff that was already done (or close to it) before they were let go? Well, Warner has rehired the main guy, George Feltenstein, and he's back in charge of the Archive. Let's hear it for good news for once!

(Lets finish all the Thin Man, Marx Brothers and Val Lewton films!)

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Very happy that Inglourious Basterds is FINALLY getting a 4K disc release in October. For me it is hands down the best Quentin Tarantino movie.

4K release wish-list
The Land Before Time
Mortal Kombat 1995
Deep Blue Sea
Friday the 13th 2009
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Warner Archive releasing one of my all-time favorite Halloween standards: Mad Love! A bonkers version of Hands of Orlac starring Peter Lorre and Colin Clive. "Each man kills the thing he loves!"

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I'd like to see Warner Archive release The Adventures of Gulliver: The Complete Series so I can buy it and The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: The Complete Series to go with the two I've already got, The Atom Ant Show: The Complete Series and The Secret Squirrel Show: The Complete Series.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

DVD-only, and not released by a boutique label, but...

Toei is finally releasing Prince of Space Planet Prince and Planet Prince: Spaceship of Fear on DVD! But that price is gross.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:34 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:03 am https://www.polygon.com/22632212/neon-g ... te-edition
The fuck? Well, that's disappointing. I'll get it if Amazon marks it down to less than $100, but no way am I paying anything like full price.
Sharing this from the Eva thread...
G-Matt wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:47 am Good news for all of you who weren't able to pre-order the Ultimate Edition set; There's going to be both a Collector's Edition and a Standard Edition.

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion/
The Ultimate Edition was never an option for me, and as much as I'd like the Collector's Edition, I might have to settle for the Standard.
Last edited by tbeasley on Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

First Arrow, then 88 Films, now another UK label is coming to North America: Indicator! Cross your fingers for those Harryhausen sets!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:41 pm First Arrow, then 88 Films, now another UK label is coming to North America: Indicator! Cross your fingers for those Harryhausen sets!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Media Blasters saying they'll have the first Zeiram out on Blu-ray in December!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Will be buying because it's an essential tokusatsu movie, but second-hand because Media Blasters.

By the way, this is a heads-up to anyone who hasn't seen it (which I suspect is a lot): If you have any interest at all in Toei-style action tokusatsu, then this is a must-see movie. One of the best and coolest tokusatsu movies of the Heisei era and IMO a darkhorse contender for a top 10 tokusatsu film of all time. I described it here once as Keita Amemiya's master's thesis on tokusatsu because his team pulls out virtually every classic tokusatsu technique in this one. I love this movie. And the sequel is awesome, too.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:26 pm Will be buying because it's an essential tokusatsu movie, but second-hand because Media Blasters.

By the way, this is a heads-up to anyone who hasn't seen it (which I suspect is a lot): If you have any interest at all in Toei-style action tokusatsu, then this is a must-see movie. One of the best and coolest tokusatsu movies of the Heisei era and IMO a darkhorse contender for a top 10 tokusatsu film of all time. I described it here once as Keita Amemiya's master's thesis on tokusatsu because his team pulls out virtually every classic tokusatsu technique in this one. I love this movie. And the sequel is awesome, too.
Zeiram has got to be one of the best, if not THE BEST, non-main franchise toku films there is. Everything about it is just great, and its mixed with that crazy 1980's look with plenty of blood and gore. The second is pretty meh, but the first is a god damn treasure. Its the movie that turned me onto Keita Amemiya, and it is a damn shame we never got to see him touch Godzilla or even Ultraman... But now I'm rambling on...

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:20 pm Zeiram has got to be one of the best, if not THE BEST, non-main franchise toku films there is. Everything about it is just great, and its mixed with that crazy 1980's look with plenty of blood and gore. The second is pretty meh, but the first is a god damn treasure. Its the movie that turned me onto Keita Amemiya, and it is a damn shame we never got to see him touch Godzilla or even Ultraman... But now I'm rambling on...
I dunno how many times or when you saw the second film but if it's been a while (and especially if you saw it via the lousy DVD that MB put out ~25 years ago), give it another look. I didn't like it all that much the first time I saw it about 15 years ago but on a re-watch a few years ago from the Japanese Blu-ray I really warmed up to it. I think it helped then that I watched it divorced from its predecessor. Although I contend the sequel's a fine film on its own, I think it also feels too much like a rehash if watched too close to the first Zeiram. But the most frustrating thing about it is the way the main cast is kept separate through most of the film (but it's also got a better performance from Yuko Moriyama).

Also gotta mention that the OVA series was pretty good, too, although I prefer the live action grungy cyberpunk aesthetic to its anime equivalent.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:49 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:20 pm Zeiram has got to be one of the best, if not THE BEST, non-main franchise toku films there is. Everything about it is just great, and its mixed with that crazy 1980's look with plenty of blood and gore. The second is pretty meh, but the first is a god damn treasure. Its the movie that turned me onto Keita Amemiya, and it is a damn shame we never got to see him touch Godzilla or even Ultraman... But now I'm rambling on...
I dunno how many times or when you saw the second film but if it's been a while (and especially if you saw it via the lousy DVD that MB put out ~25 years ago), give it another look. I didn't like it all that much the first time I saw it about 15 years ago but on a re-watch a few years ago from the Japanese Blu-ray I really warmed up to it. I think it helped then that I watched it divorced from its predecessor. Although I contend the sequel's a fine film on its own, I think it also feels too much like a rehash if watched too close to the first Zeiram. But the most frustrating thing about it is the way the main cast is kept separate through most of the film (but it's also got a better performance from Yuko Moriyama).

Also gotta mention that the OVA series was pretty good, too, although I prefer the live action grungy cyberpunk aesthetic to its anime equivalent.
I have it. I watch the movies about once or twice a year. Might be time for another go around, I just never cared for Zeiram 2 as much as the first or his other work, like Hakkaider.

And yeah, the anime has been on my radar to watch for over a decade now lol.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?