Boutique Blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Boutique Blu-ray

Post by JAGzilla »

Interesting. I'd never heard of Zeiram, but with praise like this I'm going to have to pick this Blu-ray up when it releases.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Arrow Video is having a brief sale of several of their titles. Several titles of interest to folks here include the Heisei Gamera, Warning from Space, Wolf Guy and the Bloodthirsty Trilogy. I also highly recommend titles like Day of the Jackal, the Female Prisoner Scorpion films and Deep Red (though that's getting a 4K release later this year).
https://www.arrowvideo.com/shocktober-s ... geNumber=1
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Thanks a ton for the heads-up, but augh!! That was $70 I couldn't really afford to spend.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Angilasman wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:51 am ^ Mondo has licensed Hiruko for release this fall.

Which leaves only Fires on the Plain, Tetsuo 3, and the two Nightmare Detective films before we've got the complete Tsukumoto available here.
Here's the limited edition of Hiruko (with an eventual retail version I assume, like their GEMINI release) -

HIRUKO THE GOBLIN - Limited Red Case Edition

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Angilasman wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:17 pm Media Blasters saying they'll have the first Zeiram out on Blu-ray in December!
I know they released 2 on BRD not too long ago. I actually had a DVD set that had BOTH from MB. I foolishly sold in in trying to consolidate (I still have the anime though). I would love for a 2 disc BRD set with both films to be released similar to how they did on DVD.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

tbeasley wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:44 am
Here's the limited edition of Hiruko (with an eventual retail version I assume, like their GEMINI release) -

HIRUKO THE GOBLIN - Limited Red Case Edition
Preordered.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Arrow has announced Yasuzo Masumura's war drama Red Angel for Blu Ray in January.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Ange ... ay/304479/

An extremely grueling film that's up there with the likes of the Human Condition Trilogy, Fires on the Plain, Under the Flag of the Rising Sun and Fort Graveyard for my favorite Japanese WWII film. Easy purchase from me.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Movie History Has Never Been More Accessible, So Why Do Classic Film Fans Still Feel It’s Threatened?
The discourse around film history — veered away from nuance and toward snap judgments or stopped altogether — is bad, but there are signs of hope.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

1950s big bug bomb Monster from Green Hell hitting Blu-ray via Film Detective. Details here, and duplicated below.
Coming to Blu-ray 3/8 from The Film Detective

Monster from Green Hell (1957) Restored from a New 4K transfer!

Bonus Materials
Commentary track
Original essay in full color booklet

From the era of giant bugs and atomic testing comes this low budget howler about mutant wasps. When scientists try to understand the effects of radiation on earth creatures, the result brings them to an area of Africa known as "Green Hell," where wasps have mutated into monsters! Jim Davis, who would someday star in the TV series Dallas, plays Dr. Quent Brady, the scientist who starts the whole mess. The film also stars Vladimir Sokoloff (The Life of Emile Zola, Mission to Moscow) as the skeptical Dr. Lorentz, and Joel Fluellen (Raisin in the Sun), as Arobi, who warns Brady to beware of the African location. The locals don't call it "Green Hell" for nothing! Co-written by Louis Vittes, who gave us the classic, I Married a Monster From Outer Space.
This is a wretched film but it's good to see Wade Williams license more and more of his stash. Also, MfGH is notably the original U.S. co-feature for Toho's Half Human (the American version of which Williams also allegedly controls).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Arrow Video US is having a Christmas sale, with some titles up to 60% off. Several of their tokusatsu titles are here.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Peter Jackson’s Digital 4K Restorations of His Early Horror Films Including ‘Dead Alive’ Coming Soon!
“We are doing a remastering and whole digital 4K thing and it looks great,” Jackson updates. “But we’ve been trying to do all that in between Beatles stuff, and that’s been put on a shelf for a while. But, hopefully, within another year or so they’ll come out remastered.”
Give me a great big 'pre-LOTR' set with Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, Braindead (Dead Alive), Heavenly Creatures, Forgotten Silver and The Frighteners.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm completely over box sets but if boutique labels must, I'd at least like to have the option to buy movies individually too.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

First they tease a boxed set of Kamen Rider movies, now Media Blasters is teasing Akio Jissoji's Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis! They're flexing now!

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Friends don't lie.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Angilasman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:59 pm First they tease a boxed set of Kamen Rider movies, now Media Blasters is teasing Akio Jissoji's Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis! They're flexing now!
I've been meaning to give that a re-watch for a while, so that should be the perfect opportunity to do so. I remember finding the film to be a real mess, given it's 2-3 books adapted into one single movie, but I'd be willing to give it another shot, especially in better quality than the awful letterboxed ADV DVD.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29817

Arrow has announced the Wuxia classic Come Drink with Me along with the Japanese film To Sleep as to Dream, which I've heard great things about. Still upset by the lack of Kadokawa titles. Plus, RoboCop in 4K. That'll be one of the first titles I buy whenever I finally upgrade to 4K.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ To Sleep as to Dream looks really interesting. Makes me think of how many unique foreign films I know nothing about.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I'd like to see Arrow Video do Blu-rays of Daiei's Rainbow Man (1949), Invisible Demon (1960), The Whale God (1962), and The Invisible Swordsman (1970) in separate releases.

Then I'd have the official U.S. Blu-ray releases of every major Daiei tokusatsu film (kaiju, seijin, or kaijin) made in the 20th century between 1949 and 1999, except for the Yokai Monsters trilogy.

To get those, I guess I'll have to get both the recent U.S. Blu-ray box set and the (hopefully) upcoming U.S. Blu-ray release of The Great Yokai War: Guardians for now, unless Kadokowa gets wise and re-releases the box set with Guardians in it this time.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:54 pm I'd like to see Arrow Video do Blu-rays of Daiei's Rainbow Man (1949), Invisible Demon (1960), The Whale God (1962), and The Invisible Swordsman (1970) in separate releases.
The Demon of Mt. Oe was a lavish production with an A-List cast based upon a popular Japanese legend. I'd certainly consider that a "major" entry in Daiei's SFX canon, much more so than the two other Invisible person films.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Zeiram in stock at RightStuf!