Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly, Treasure Planet would by my number 1 candidate for the next live action Disney remake if i had the choice.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind seeing a modern day take on Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. Since it's a movie not a lot of people have heard of, they might think of it as an original film.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

What about Gorgo?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KManX89 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:10 pm Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind seeing a modern day take on Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. Since it's a movie not a lot of people have heard of, they might think of it as an original film.
And there's a great opportunity to connect the Arctic Rhedosaurus and its viral blood to real world fears of climate change melting the ice caps and unleashing an ancient virus.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

KManX89 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:10 pm Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind seeing a modern day take on Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. Since it's a movie not a lot of people have heard of, they might think of it as an original film.
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:44 pmAnd there's a great opportunity to connect the Arctic Rhedosaurus and its viral blood to real world fears of climate change melting the ice caps and unleashing an ancient virus.
But we already got that.

It's called GODZILLA (1998).
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:19 pm
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:44 pmAnd there's a great opportunity to connect the Arctic Rhedosaurus and its viral blood to real world fears of climate change melting the ice caps and unleashing an ancient virus.
But we already got that.

It's called GODZILLA (1998).
True, GINO 98 had more in common with that movie than the source material it was supposed to be based off of. :lol:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I don't recall G98 having a beast unleashed from the thawing Arctic ice caps, with blood containing an ancient disease for which we have no medicine, being used as a metaphor for climate change and real world fears that there could be deadly bacterial organisms frozen in the ice caps.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:18 pm I don't recall G98 having a beast unleashed from the thawing Arctic ice caps, with blood containing an ancient disease for which we have no medicine, being used as a metaphor for climate change and real world fears that there could be deadly bacterial organisms frozen in the ice caps.
"If you ignore the mountain of evidence that disproves my point, you'll find that I'm 100% correct!"
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:18 pm I don't recall G98 having a beast unleashed from the thawing Arctic ice caps, with blood containing an ancient disease for which we have no medicine, being used as a metaphor for climate change and real world fears that there could be deadly bacterial organisms frozen in the ice caps.
No but it does involve opening with a nuclear test unleashing a lizard-like monster who first attacks a fishing boat, damages a seaside structure including a lighthouse, and making landfall on the same Manhattan dock where it has traveled with the intent to spawn. It proceeds to plow through a building leave a massive hole in it, evades military watch until nightfall where it has a showdown against an artillery unit. In the fighting, it departs to attack a submarine vessel (a diving bell or modern submarine) but leaves a blood sample that reveals a secondary threat (Bloodborne disease for Rhedosaurus, Asexual reproduction for Godzilla 1998). After a nuclear scientist studies the creature, they manage to kill it after it gets caught up inside a famous New York landmark (Coney Island roller-coaster or the Brooklyn Bridge).

There's your remake folks, move along! :P :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

No one's disputing that GINO has a lot of similarities to Beast, but you seem to be missing Kaiju-King's reason for suggesting a Beast remake in the first place.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

C.H.U.D could be an interesting one for a remake, but I fear that if happens it would be done like the Critters reboot. You know where the whole thing was, "Look Stupid This Is, Isn't Stupid". God I hate that it, or it would be to slick. C.H.U.D has a nasty gross feel to it, due to it having been filmed in the actual sewers of New York City. Which would be near impossible to replicate, nowadays.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

kingkevzilla88 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:51 am C.H.U.D could be an interesting one for a remake, but I fear that if happens it would be done like the Critters reboot. You know where the whole thing was, "Look Stupid This Is, Isn't Stupid". God I hate that it, or it would be to slick. C.H.U.D has a nasty gross feel to it, due to it having been filmed in the actual sewers of New York City. Which would be near impossible to replicate, nowadays.
We got that with C.H.U.D. II:Bud The C.H.U.D. I think. Also bugged to no end with how the recently released CRITTERS "films" were handled for their long over due return. The trailers for both were eye bleedingly bad I only watched them once. Still holding out for a proper relaunch of that franchise.

Another fan favorite franchise, but one that never really rang the bell for me so to speak in the 90's is SPECIES. The sci-fi horror flick that jump started many a youth into puberty by introducing them Natasha Henstridge. A good case for a remake of the franchise that came up with GoodBadFlicks exploration of the history and production of the original SPECIES. Where the designer of the alien/human hybrid's monstrous form, H.R. Giger, had a lot of cool ideas for Sil. That either due to the flick's budget, the tech for special effects, or issues with the film's studio or production staff. That didn't get carried on through. Wouldn't mind seeing another take on the property employing more of the artist's vision for SPECIES that would keep it from looking like an ALIEN derivative.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I'm gonna echo the sentiment for a reboot/remake of Beast From 20,000 Fathoms that isn't Godzilla 98. Actually I'd love to see a lot of old giant monster movies redone...
The Deadly Mantis. Oddly a favorite of mine, and seeing the giant mantis in Goosebumps a few years back made it high up on my list. I know the original and any new version is/will be nothing groundbreaking in the genre, but I don't care, gimme! Don't judge.
Reptilicus. Again, nothing groundbreaking in the previous version, nothing expected from a remake, this is just me wanting more countries in on the kaiju movie train. If this works as an excuse for Denmark or wherever to try their hand at the genre again after 60-something years, then great.
I've recently thought a trilogy of films including remakes of The Monolith Monsters and The Giant Gila Monster would be fun. Bad 50's movies with ideas and concepts that just interest me.
Blankman and Meteor Man were fun movies I'd love to see come back.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Vakanai wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:44 am I'm gonna echo the sentiment for a reboot/remake of Beast From 20,000 Fathoms that isn't Godzilla 98. Actually I'd love to see a lot of old giant monster movies redone...
Said this before.

Matt Reeves as director or bust.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:10 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:44 am I'm gonna echo the sentiment for a reboot/remake of Beast From 20,000 Fathoms that isn't Godzilla 98. Actually I'd love to see a lot of old giant monster movies redone...
Said this before.

Matt Reeves as director or bust.
You know, you've said this before but I don't actually think I've heard why you want Reeves. May I ask why?

If it's for a Cloverfield style reboot, then yes, 200%

RIP Evan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:45 pmYou know, you've said this before but I don't actually think I've heard why you want Reeves. May I ask why?

If it's for a Cloverfield style reboot, then yes, 200%
On top of having done a giant monster film set in New York (Cloverfield) and it being a good movie. Reeves has what it takes to deliver as director for such a reboot.

He's also done a few other good movies like two of the Apes Reboot films. Why I'm certainly looking forward to The Batman also.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Okay, I know you all must be very tired of me stating this time and time again, but I’m gonna do so anyway. I support a remake of Godzilla 1954. Before you all tell me “But we’ve just got a remake in the form of Shin!” Please hear me out. When you get down to the bare bones yes, both Shin as well as ‘84 can be viewed as remakes, but the meat was different enough to make said films their own creatures. What I am thinking is if hypothetically one day Toho mustered the will to do a direct remake of the original film.

I understand that most of you are skeptical that such a plan could work, but is it a crime if I beg to differ? It would indeed be a daunting task to re-capture what made the original film work back in its time, though not necessarily impossible. In order to work, such a project would require and honest and competent director and/or writer(s) who will know what they’re doing and I believe all will be well. If such a film did turn out well, it would be an uphill battle against an avalanche.

For those of you not opposed to remaking the original film, what do you think could be expanded upon? I think one such area that has potential of doing so would be the characters. Now it will be foolish to add too many new characters, but rather only a few new ones and further explore the pre-existing ones. I imagine that among the new faces, there will be a trio of American soldiers stationed in Tokyo. In addition, perhaps a few minor characters could include friends of the classic characters who get killed in Godzilla’s rampage, allowing them to be directly affected by the carnage that unfolds.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:29 am
I understand that most of you are skeptical that such a plan could work, but is it a crime if I beg to differ? It would indeed be a daunting task to re-capture what made the original film work back in its time, though not necessarily impossible. In order to work, such a project would require and honest and competent director and/or writer(s) who will know what they’re doing and I believe all will be well. If such a film did turn out well, it would be an uphill battle against an avalanche.
Yeah, but who's gonna do that? Who at Toho would bother hiring people to just remake a film already pretty well done, especially since them just making new different films have worked for the past couple decades? There's absolutely nothing that would support Toho doing this decision, so there's no point of it happening.

And honestly, those new characters spew "unneeded add ons"
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I'm already against this idea for the same reason Gigantis explained but this part in particular offends me
LegendZilla wrote:addition, perhaps a few minor characters could include friends of the classic characters who get killed in Godzilla’s rampage, allowing them to be directly affected by the carnage that unfolds.
This is the laziest way to make the audience care about something in the film and one of the best things about the 1954 film and the rest of the franchise is they've avoided it for so long.

RIP Evan.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:53 am I'm already against this idea for the same reason Gigantis explained but this part in particular offends me
LegendZilla wrote:addition, perhaps a few minor characters could include friends of the classic characters who get killed in Godzilla’s rampage, allowing them to be directly affected by the carnage that unfolds.
This is the laziest way to make the audience care about something in the film and one of the best things about the 1954 film and the rest of the franchise is they've avoided it for so long.
This. Plus, in my opinion, remakes/reboots should only be done for films that weren't good the first time and could use revitalization, or I guess you could remake one that was actually good if you could put a unique enough spin on it, like Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. RoboCop is one of the last films that ever needed a remake and now The Exorcist is getting one despite it being an all-time horror classic. There's no unique way to revisit the movie that we haven't seen in other more recent horror films. The Thing is also getting another remake, that also has all the looks of an inferior cash grab. Blumhouse only spends $5-10 mil tops and there's no way they can top or even come close to matching the original in quality with all the practical effects used, which were simply amazing.

What next? A remake of Die Hard? Oh shit, I shouldn't have said that. Don't give Disney ideas!