Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by KManX89 »

I know everyone says "I'm tired of reboots/remakes", but what are some that could actually use a reboot or remake?

Spawn is one that could definitely use one. The 1997 movie was so campy and goofy that it did the character and his source material a HUGE disservice (why Todd McFarlane agreed to those terms, I have no clue) and Violator wasn't nearly as menacing as he is in the comics and cartoon series, reduced to making fart jokes, dancing in a cheerleader outfit, Looney Tunes eye-popping scene, etc. IF Todd McFarlane ever gets his reboot off the ground (big if), then let's hope it actually delivers with something more akin to the HBO series, which was so much closer to the comics tonally and better.

Ghost Rider is another one that could use a reboot, but without Nic Cage this time, please. Makes me wish the Hulu series wasn't cancelled, Ghost Rider has sick potential with a TV series.

Oh and finally Gamera. Gamera with big-budget CGI treatment, need I say more?
Last edited by KManX89 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Vakanai »

Street Sharks (fun and could look crazy awesome)
SWAT Kats (ditto)
Gargoyles (even if it doesn't live up to the classic show, I still want them back)
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (we need a good parody these days)
Dracula (tough being a Dracula fan this millennium so far)
Sherlock Holmes (I want a more traditional version again darn it!)
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd like to see a new Escape From film with old man Plissken. It'd be similar to how Halloween 2018 was a reboot since it didn't acknowledge 2-.

The Fly, Re-Animator, Nightmare on Elm street, Friday the Thirteenth, Carrie, Cujo are a couple others off the dome that I'd like to see redone for the "Modern Era"
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

It would be interesting to adapt Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park and The Lost World again as a TV series, but this time closely sticking to the novels as possible because, if I remember, the novels were more mature and had a lot of differences, such as the Costa Rican Air Force napalming Isa Nublar and the fact that The Lost World didn't have the Tyrannosaurus rampaging in San Diego.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I’m in the crowd that says a faithful adaptation of a Stephen King’s The Shining deserves a second chance. Same goes for Peter Benchley’s Jaws.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The Giant Claw. Either play up the monster design for laughs or remake it without the awful Lynch buzzard.

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:The Giant Claw. play up the monster design for laughs.
I'm also in favor of this!

And these may be some controversial picks, but i feel Valley of Gwangi and ESPECIALLY One Million Years B.C could benifit from a big budget remake.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:The Giant Claw. Either play up the monster design for laughs or remake it without the awful Lynch buzzard.
Spoiler:
Imagine a remake having a design like this?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:The Giant Claw. Either play up the monster design for laughs or remake it without the awful Lynch buzzard.
Why not pitch remakes The Creeping Terror, or Monster a Go-Go while you're at it?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Spoiler:
Imagine a remake having a design like this?
That literally doesn't even resemble the Giant Claw. If it has to be remade, at least make it look like your keeping the classic imagery.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'd personally like to see remakes of movies with lots of potential but either due to lack of talent, budgetary restraints, technological limitations, or pop circumstances where not able to fully execute on such. I cannot think of one at the moment but I will keep pondering it.
He Jock it Made of Steel

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I'd like to see remakes that had movies that failed, but could/should have been good.

Like The Black Cauldron. Huge misfire for Disney, but the material could be good if handled properly. Why not give that one a 2nd chance?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:The Giant Claw. play up the monster design for laughs.
I'm also in favor of this!

And these may be some controversial picks, but i feel Valley of Gwangi and ESPECIALLY One Million Years B.C could benifit from a big budget remake.
I'm seconding Valley of Gwangi. Cowboys and dinosaurs, that's ripe for a fun huge epic remake.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GojiDog wrote:I'd like to see remakes that had movies that failed, but could/should have been good.

Like The Black Cauldron. Huge misfire for Disney, but the material could be good if handled properly. Why not give that one a 2nd chance?
The Black Cauldron was my immediate thought too.

I've brought this one up before in the Monsterverse subforum: The Beast of 20,000 Fathoms can be easily retold as an allegory for climate change. There is a real world fear that climate change might free a deadly new disease or virus frozen in the polar ice caps. And in its original movie, the Rhedosaurus is a monster that was frozen in the Arctic, who's signature ability is the deadly prehistoric disease found in its bloodstream.

Seems like a no-brainier for a contemporary reboot to me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

King Kong Escapes - King Kong and Godzilla are already getting their cinematic rematch, why not reboot the other Toho Kong film as well? I mean it's this strange genre mash up between a Kong/Kaiju vs mecha film an adventure film and had what could pass for a James Bond villain. It's perfect for our blockbuster world. Plus it's just fun.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:King Kong Escapes - King Kong and Godzilla are already getting their cinematic rematch, why not reboot the other Toho Kong film as well? I mean it's this strange genre mash up between a Kong/Kaiju vs mecha film an adventure film and had what could pass for a James Bond villain. It's perfect for our blockbuster world. Plus it's just fun.
A shot for shot remake would be kinda weird if we're putting this in the MonsterVerse timeline. Though yes, Mechani-Kong absolutely deserves to return!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote:
Vakanai wrote:King Kong Escapes - King Kong and Godzilla are already getting their cinematic rematch, why not reboot the other Toho Kong film as well? I mean it's this strange genre mash up between a Kong/Kaiju vs mecha film an adventure film and had what could pass for a James Bond villain. It's perfect for our blockbuster world. Plus it's just fun.
A shot for shot remake would be kinda weird if we're putting this in the MonsterVerse timeline. Though yes, Mechani-Kong absolutely deserves to return!
Oh no, I neither expect nor want a shot for shot remake. Just the basic premise and staying true to the spirit of it. And yes, the return of Mechani-Kong! I mean after getting Mechagodzilla in Godzilla vs Kong, it's a pretty easy fit.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote:Same goes for Peter Benchley’s Jaws.
I think I'd rather watch Jaws: The Revenge, thanks.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Why? Did you think the book sucked?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Why? Did you think the book sucked?
To put it mildly. :lol: