Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Vakanai wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:The Giant Claw. play up the monster design for laughs.
I'm also in favor of this!

And these may be some controversial picks, but i feel Valley of Gwangi and ESPECIALLY One Million Years B.C could benifit from a big budget remake.
I'm seconding Valley of Gwangi. Cowboys and dinosaurs, that's ripe for a fun huge epic remake.
Only, and I repeat ONLY if they keep the dinosaurs in VoG in line with what Paleontologists believed they were back then. IE: tail dragging, upright beasts. Wild West Jurassic Park would just be lame.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Jaws: The remake.

Directed by Michael Bay.

Obvious CGI shark and explosions, lots and lots of explosions. :lol:

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Oh....SO MANY movies that were sort of 'near hits' or just kinda missed the mark.

Something like Tremors would be fertile ground for remake territory....I'd prefer that to turning it into an awful series of straight to video nonsense.

Dragonheart - Same thing. The original is such a gem, and while the overall movie is not a masterpiece...the ending always left a strong impact on me growing up, and the guts and gusto of the ending elevate the overall strength of the material.

I'd love to see it reinterpreted as even more of a straightforward fantasy, instead of trying to work it into the dark ages of history. Lean into the fantasy world element. You would sadly lose the clear name-dropping and referencing of King Arthur....but you would gain a lot of creative freedom.

The Land Before Time - Call me crazy, but the original is a really worthwhile movie and doing it in the all CGI "Lion King" style, but perhaps a little more stylized...could be awesome.

Ferngully - Yes, I know, we have Avatar....but you do Ferngully as some kind of wild live-action/CGI hybrid....but still keep the purity and simplicity of the original animated film....you'd have something legit.

There are plenty of one-off sci-fi horror/thrillers that could use a modern adaptation and an upgrade in execution.

Species, Deep Blue Sea, Pitch Black. - Little gems that could use the upgrade.

Also, a rather recent movie...but Splice got WEIRD and it was unique and had a lot of potential, just didn't quite execute it properly. Although a sequel/re-imagining where Sarah Polley is raising her son and gets all weirdly attracted to it...all kinds of gross paths they could go down with THAT narrative....pushing the weird monster/incest twist even more than the first film.

I've always wanted to see basically the EQUIVALENT of "Forrest Gump for the last 30 years" in the same way that Forrest Gump encapsulated and covered so many cultural and historical aspects of the late 50s-early 80s.

The original two Jurassic Park novels being adapted a bit more thoroughly and faithfully is always something that would be cool to see...and I think it is an eventuality at SOME point.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I think a modern "A Space Odyssey" could take full advantage of all of the interesting and mind-blowing elements of the original work, and gently side-stepping all of the "drawbacks" that might be taxing for modern viewers. A movie CAN be a compelling, mind-blowing experience without leaving a portion of the audience feeling underwhelmed and bored.

I would only want it tackled by someone with the full means and intent of making it an utter top-of-the-line production. Filming the whole thing on the highest quality, biggest size film stock...practical effects and solutions, minimal CGI, just top of the line production and execution every step of the way to be for modern cinema what the original was back in the 60s.

Any alterations could just be to push it more towards the book. Or even re-imagining "HAL" as a female "Athena" which was the original concept for the character.

Dragon Ball - I know the modern obsession is all about the fan-service and epic new transformations and levels and etc....but this is a property that is very long in the tooth. The 'focus' of the original author damaged the series over the years, and the very exploitative fan-pandering of Super has really devolved the property into almost a caricature of itself.

I think a from-scratch reboot in anime form could be very compelling. Instead of adapting the manga as it came, and being forced to cope with a lot of filler, and hang around with the various changes in tone and style and the various logic gaps and retcons and etc

Re-telling it from the beginning, using the manga as a guide....they could drop SO much material, reform and enhance a lot of the arcs and progression of the narrative throughout the series....and truly re-tell the entire thing in far less time, and with far fewer mistakes, inconsistencies, and redundancies along the way.

The brand is still very strong and potent, so they could re-launch with a built in fanbase and REALLY create a spot where all of the old fans could stay on board, while still allowing a lot of new fans to COME on board without having to do "all the homework", and the new version of the product could avoid nearly every flaw and miss-step made throughout the series. It could be a much more definitive and high quality version of the story from beginning to end(and beyond)
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Mac Daddy MM wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
I'm also in favor of this!

And these may be some controversial picks, but i feel Valley of Gwangi and ESPECIALLY One Million Years B.C could benifit from a big budget remake.
I'm seconding Valley of Gwangi. Cowboys and dinosaurs, that's ripe for a fun huge epic remake.
Only, and I repeat ONLY if they keep the dinosaurs in VoG in line with what Paleontologists believed they were back then. IE: tail dragging, upright beasts. Wild West Jurassic Park would just be lame.
We are very different people - Wild West Jurassic Park sounds like the greatest thing ever to me and is exactly how I'd sell it to the Hollywood executives. I think we only saw like 3 kinds of dinosaurs in the movie anyway...
(Plus they'd have had over 60 million years to evolve - being *exactly* like paleontologists believed they were like would equally be as unrealistic as Jurassic Park.)

What kind of dinosaur is Gwangi supposed to be? I can't remember if they ever said.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:
What kind of dinosaur is Gwangi supposed to be? I can't remember if they ever said.
He's SUPPOSE to be an Allosaurus via word of Harryhausen himself, although some say he's a T-Rex. Still directors word is more important in this so the Allosaurus one is more accurate.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: I've always wanted to see basically the EQUIVALENT of "Forrest Gump for the last 30 years" in the same way that Forrest Gump encapsulated and covered so many cultural and historical aspects of the late 50s-early 80s.
So, Forrest sits at his computer, telling random internet strangers about the time his video game character got shot in the buttocks and his relationship with Jenny takes place through some dating site? And one day he decides to surf all the way to one end of the internet, then he turns around and surfs all the way to the other end.

Nah, but I'd be interested in this concept, too. It would need the right people behind it, of course, but it would be cool if it worked.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Remake Cuties just so more people here can bitch about it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote: I've always wanted to see basically the EQUIVALENT of "Forrest Gump for the last 30 years" in the same way that Forrest Gump encapsulated and covered so many cultural and historical aspects of the late 50s-early 80s.
So, Forrest sits at his computer, telling random internet strangers about the time his video game character got shot in the buttocks and his relationship with Jenny takes place through some dating site? And one day he decides to surf all the way to one end of the internet, then he turns around and surfs all the way to the other end.

Nah, but I'd be interested in this concept, too. It would need the right people behind it, of course, but it would be cool if it worked.
Winston Groom, the author of the novel version of Forrest Gump, also wrote a sequel novel called Gump and Co. Imo, making that into a film sequel is long since overdue.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Manos: The Hands Of Fate!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Even though it's something of a cult favorite, I'd be open to seeing a modern day take on Rollerball with updated cinematography and visuals, which were limited at the time of the original's release, but they kinda already burned that bridge with the godawful 2002 remake.

What's funny is: John McTiernan supposedly turned down the original much better script because it didn't focus enough on the titular game and made the writer pen a new script completely from scratch, which probably explains it turning out as bad (read: awful) as it did: at that point, the writer probably just said "fuck it" and threw shit at the wall to see what sticks. :lol:

But yeah, John McTiernan, director of Die Hard and Predator directed the Rollerball remake, let that sink in.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

mikelcho wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:

Winston Groom, the author of the novel version of Forrest Gump, also wrote a sequel novel called Gump and Co. Imo, making that into a film sequel is long since overdue.
From what I understand, they were going to do it, apparently Eric Roth did a script and either the day or day after he turned it in...9/11 happened and sort of killed all of the plans.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Chrispy_G wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:

From what I understand, they were going to do it, apparently Eric Roth did a script and either the day or day after he turned it in...9/11 happened and sort of killed all of the plans.
Oh, that's terrible! What might have been and all that.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

mikelcho wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:

Eh, I'd rather not, unless its made in the same vein as the original movie, ie nothing like the book. In my opinion the book is kinda hot trash, with the tone being more of a pure comedy. It wasn't horrible but really substandard, and the fact that a movie adaptation exists with as complex themes and messages as the 94 film does, is a testament to a directorial/screenwriting talent. The same team would have to tackle the sequel, as from what I've heard its more of the same as the first book (I don't know for certain having been so disappointed with the novel).
He Jock it Made of Steel

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Jetty_Jags wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:

Eh, I'd rather not, unless its made in the same vein as the original movie, ie nothing like the book. In my opinion the book is kinda hot trash, with the tone being more of a pure comedy. It wasn't horrible but really substandard, and the fact that a movie adaptation exists with as complex themes and messages as the 94 film does, is a testament to a directorial/screenwriting talent. The same team would have to tackle the sequel, as from what I've heard its more of the same as the first book (I don't know for certain having been so disappointed with the novel).
That's exactly what I was thinking; a sequel with the same name as the book done in the same style as the original, using the same cast and crew.

But considering the time that's passed between 1994 and 2020, it'd have to be done right and I don't know if they can still do that.

How much of the cast and crew are still alive today?
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know we just got Shin not long ago, but some 20+ years from now, I would like to see a remake of the original 1954 Godzilla. I know many of you consider both '84 and the aforementioned Shin remakes, but that's all a matter of perspective. I'm more of a purist though: when I think of 'remake' I want to see fidelity to the tone, themes, characters and plot to a much larger degree then what was depicted in 84 or Shin.

I am talking about a faithful remake that retells the story with the same characters. Some adaptation to the expectations of a modern audience, but essentially the same movie. You may not think it could work, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to execution. What we need for it to work is just the right team with an experienced and honest director and writer(s). That will no doubt lower the risk of disaster. I acknowledge that it would no doubt be a daunting task to re-capture what made the original film work back in its day, but that does not mean it would be impossible.

It would resonate better with audiences, of course, if the underlying themes that drove the movie-- a nation undergoing trauma therapy through film. I hate to say it, but it's likely we'll go through some equivalent trauma as a species or individual nations) sometime in the next 20 years. '

In some ways, by then, it will be a kind of 'period piece, like WW1 movies are today. But if they are true to writing human characters, the themes will be universal.

What do you think? What would be the core themes in the 1954 Godzilla that have to be preserved for a true remake? What tone? Look forward to hearing from you!

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Oh, with all the recent upgrades and improvements in technology and digital effects, it'd be fantastic (pun intended) to see a more faithful take on Michael Ende's The Neverending Story, they could adapt many sequences which were erased from the movies due to effect and budget restrictions. However, considering the book is thoroughly long and is divided in two major halves (the first one chronicling Bastian as he finds and reads the eponymous book and realizes only he can save Fantastica by giving the Childlike Empress her new name, and the second one focusing on Bastian going into Fantastica, meeting Atreyu and Falkor, descending into a tyrannical nutcase and later struggling to redeem himself to return to his world), it'd be more convenient to either make two movies or instead make a series. Not to mention that the films' reputation has been tarnished by the monstrosity that is the third movie. Ewww...

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dino-Mario wrote:Oh, with all the recent upgrades and improvements in technology and digital effects, it'd be fantastic (pun intended) to see a more faithful take on Michael Ende's The Neverending Story, they could adapt many sequences which were erased from the movies due to effect and budget restrictions. However, considering the book is thoroughly long and is divided in two major halves (the first one chronicling Bastian as he finds and reads the eponymous book and realizes only he can save Fantastica by giving the Childlike Empress her new name, and the second one focusing on Bastian going into Fantastica, meeting Atreyu and Falkor, descending into a tyrannical nutcase and later struggling to redeem himself to return to his world), it'd be more convenient to either make two movies or instead make a series. Not to mention that the films' reputation has been tarnished by the monstrosity that is the third movie. Ewww...
Such a adaptation would probably be best worked into a 2-part film.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

LegendZilla wrote:I know we just got Shin not long ago, but some 20+ years from now, I would like to see a remake of the original 1954 Godzilla. I know many of you consider both '84 and the aforementioned Shin remakes, but that's all a matter of perspective. I'm more of a purist though: when I think of 'remake' I want to see fidelity to the tone, themes, characters and plot to a much larger degree then what was depicted in 84 or Shin.

I am talking about a faithful remake that retells the story with the same characters. Some adaptation to the expectations of a modern audience, but essentially the same movie. You may not think it could work, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to execution. What we need for it to work is just the right team with an experienced and honest director and writer(s). That will no doubt lower the risk of disaster. I acknowledge that it would no doubt be a daunting task to re-capture what made the original film work back in its day, but that does not mean it would be impossible.

It would resonate better with audiences, of course, if the underlying themes that drove the movie-- a nation undergoing trauma therapy through film. I hate to say it, but it's likely we'll go through some equivalent trauma as a species or individual nations) sometime in the next 20 years. '

In some ways, by then, it will be a kind of 'period piece, like WW1 movies are today. But if they are true to writing human characters, the themes will be universal.

What do you think? What would be the core themes in the 1954 Godzilla that have to be preserved for a true remake? What tone? Look forward to hearing from you!
The 1998 Godzilla is technically considered a remake (or "reimagining", if you will), but only because reboot was such a foreign concept at the time that they had to liken it to the 1954 Gojira even though it's literally GINO.

But I wouldn't mind seeing a revamped take on the 1954 Gojira. Change some stuff around, but keep its spirit relatively the same. It's not likely to happen, though.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Disney's Dinosaur: I'd be interested in a 2D animated remake based on an earlier script of the film, and with more accurate dinosaur designs.

Super Mario Bros.: An animated remake that's much more faithful to the source material would be great.

Planet of the Dinosaurs: I'd like to see how the 'dinosaurs' could be made to look even more alien in design while still looking like the animals they're supposed to be based on.

Beast of 20,000 Fathoms: Like KK said, a remake of this film would work well as an allegory for climate change.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

As much as the 2004 and 2017 King Arthur had their moments and appeal as being 'total re-imaginings' of the King Arthur mythos.....I would REALLY love to see a modern attempt at a more straightforward take on the legend.

Basically a state of the art "Excalibur"

But perhaps that would be better served as a Game of Thrones-style series....Camelot was a fun, but abandoned attempt back in the day...although casting Eva Green as Morgan was picture perfect casting.