Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Pumpkinhead could use a good Remake.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Pumpkinhead could use a good Remake.
Oh, agreed with this 1,000%!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I don't know, Pumpkinhead was a Stan Winston directed film, designed primarily to showcase his practical effects. A remake in CGI seems kind of pointless.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I don't know, Pumpkinhead was a Stan Winston directed film, designed primarily to showcase his practical effects. A remake in CGI seems kind of pointless.
Who said anything about CGI? Go physical/practical or go home. Practical effects have evolved in the last 30 years too, so it can still be a showcase. Unless it's just the Stan Winston thing, but I don't think films should be off the table because someone tied to the previous version is dead.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know what other trippy 80's monster movie should be remade? Rawhead Rex.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I don't know, Pumpkinhead was a Stan Winston directed film, designed primarily to showcase his practical effects. A remake in CGI seems kind of pointless.
One guy on my mental short list to direct a remake/reboot, of PUMPKINHEAD would be Len Wiseman. When he was pitching UNDERWORLD, and pushing to keep the effects, at the lion's share of werewolf/lycan effects practical. For his demo reel to show off practical, man in suit effects. The Demon Vengeance was one of the films Wiseman used to demonstrate the effectiveness of old school effects. He also directed, produced the short lived SWAMP THING series. He kept the creature effects for the most part practical to boot. I'd love to see a decent relaunch of the franchise. Also get Pumpkinhead co-creator Gary Gianni involved on it as well. Guy has a truckload of ideas that are just begging to be realized for the big screen, and put the demon on top of the horror pantheon.

Another creature flick which I've heard has been looked at for a remake is the 1984 cult classic C.H.U.D.. Now in possession of C.H.U.D. LIVES !, a collection of stories involving events before ,during, and after the events of the flick. And the state New York City is in thanks to its current leadership. It would be an interesting time to reintroduce the Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers to the big screen. Also one thing I'd wish they makers of the remake would do would feature more C.H.U.D. action, appearances in the flick. Up the ante as they overwhelm blocks, or early on attack subways. And since they were human at one point even use weapons. Makeshift, Mad Max sort've stuff made from the trash, they'd rummage through.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

There's been rumblings of a Pumpkinhead remake for years, most recently as 2017.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

*I meant Ghost Rider Hulu series, my bad, but yeah, sucks it got cancelled. He sounds like he would lend himself really well to a horror TV series and they handled him well on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Funny I should say that, Gabriel Luna was gonna be reprising the character in the Hulu series even though it wasn't gonna be connected to AOS.

But yeah, Pumpkinhead could use a remake and it's one that not a lot of people would object to since it's an obscure film that most mainstream audiences probably haven't heard of, anyway.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:The Giant Claw. play up the monster design for laughs.
I'm also in favor of this!

And these may be some controversial picks, but i feel Valley of Gwangi and ESPECIALLY One Million Years B.C could benifit from a big budget remake.
I'm seconding Valley of Gwangi. Cowboys and dinosaurs, that's ripe for a fun huge epic remake.
Assuming the Monsterverse survives Godzilla Vs Kong, Gwangi should be easy to incorporate, Afterall the original film was distributed by Warner Bros. I would not make such a project a full-blown remake, but an original story akin to Kong : Skull Island. Here's how I would handle it : It will take place in 1948 and revolve around Monarch's very first expedition, in which the organization sends a team to an uncharted valley not far from the US-Mexico Border. Said valley has been bombarded with radioactive fallout from Nuclear tests in nearby areas while simultaneously, strange creatures have reportedly been sited.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
I'm also in favor of this!

And these may be some controversial picks, but i feel Valley of Gwangi and ESPECIALLY One Million Years B.C could benifit from a big budget remake.
I'm seconding Valley of Gwangi. Cowboys and dinosaurs, that's ripe for a fun huge epic remake.
Assuming the Monsterverse survives Godzilla Vs Kong, Gwangi should be easy to incorporate, Afterall the original film was distributed by Warner Bros. I would not make such a project a full-blown remake, but an original story akin to Kong : Skull Island. Here's how I would handle it : It will take place in 1948 and revolve around Monarch's very first expedition, in which the organization sends a team to an uncharted valley not far from the US-Mexico Border. Said valley has been bombarded with radioactive fallout from Nuclear tests in nearby areas while simultaneously, strange creatures have reportedly been sited.
I really, really, really want it to, but I have no faith that the MonsterVerse will continue beyond Godzilla vs Kong, and even less faith that it would go beyond Godzilla or Kong related monsters. But a man can dream.

Also, your pitch doesn't sound very cowboy-y, taking place post WWII and all...

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Vakanai wrote: I'm seconding Valley of Gwangi. Cowboys and dinosaurs, that's ripe for a fun huge epic remake.
I really, really, really want it to, but I have no faith that the MonsterVerse will continue beyond Godzilla vs Kong, and even less faith that it would go beyond Godzilla or Kong related monsters. But a man can dream.

There are still cowboys today. Maybe the protagonist of such a film would be a guy trying to keep the cowboy way alive in a changing world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:

There are still cowboys today. Maybe the protagonist of such a film would be a guy trying to keep the cowboy way alive in a changing world.
Eh, I'd still prefer something closer to the original. Unlike Kong Gwangi doesn't have a slew of remakes, so I don't think it needs to go Skull Island route and be that different. But that's just me and what I want to see.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah I think Covid might have killed any plans for a possible continuation. You know Toho's gonna want to do a new film of their own now. I doubt they've had the time to strike any new contracts with everything going on.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Only, and I repeat ONLY if they keep the dinosaurs in VoG in line with what Paleontologists believed they were back then. IE: tail dragging, upright beasts. Wild West Jurassic Park would just be lame.
*Deep breath*

On the contrary, pop culture is in need of a new Jurassic Park, a major blockbuster that catapults the general view of dinosaurs forward out of the scaly, shrink-wrapped, pronated-hand, oversized hypercarnivores we can't yet escape. A straight remake of VoG with dinosaurs that represent current information would not only be great in concept, but it would have another layer of interest from the human perspective, as the creatures running around will be almost unrecognizable compared to the then "current" interpretation of them. How fun would it be to have the scientist characters be as much- if not more dumbfounded at the animals in front of them than the hick cowboys? Plus with most of the scientific names practically useless while the academics are trying to sort things out, we could potentially see all the dinosaurs get cool marketable common names that at the very least would look good on the merchandise.

As for motivation from the dinos, I'd like to see them be more peaceful and animalistic unless threatened. An interesting angle could be to have some of them accidentally eat or drink something that due to reasons beyond our understanding causes them to turn hyper aggressive. For example maybe once he's captured Gwangi is relatively sullen and listless until somebody forces him to drink alcohol so he'll be more lively for presentation, but that makes him go totally berserk.

Anyway that's my thoughts, suppose I should actually rewatch the movie before I say any more.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote:Gwangi should be easy to incorporate, Afterall the original film was distributed by Warner Bros.
Released by Warner Bros. but produced by Morningside Productions. WB may not have remake/sequel rights.
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:
Only, and I repeat ONLY if they keep the dinosaurs in VoG in line with what Paleontologists believed they were back then. IE: tail dragging, upright beasts. Wild West Jurassic Park would just be lame.
*Deep breath*

On the contrary, pop culture is in need of a new Jurassic Park, a major blockbuster that catapults the general view of dinosaurs forward out of the scaly, shrink-wrapped, pronated-hand, oversized hypercarnivores we can't yet escape. A straight remake of VoG with dinosaurs that represent current information would not only be great in concept, but it would have another layer of interest from the human perspective, as the creatures running around will be almost unrecognizable compared to the then "current" interpretation of them. How fun would it be to have the scientist characters be as much- if not more dumbfounded at the animals in front of them than the hick cowboys? Plus with most of the scientific names practically useless while the academics are trying to sort things out, we could potentially see all the dinosaurs get cool marketable common names that at the very least would look good on the merchandise.
^ I appreciate that sentiment and agree that it's time for the pop cultural expectation of dinosaurs to catch up to paleontology. But I don't think a remake of The Valley of Gwangi is the vehicle for it. When you think about it, the original movie is not only giving us inaccurate dinosaurs but an inaccurate Old West, too. Hollywood's goody-two-shoes cowboys are just as archaic in 2020 as tail-dragging dinosaurs are. I think there's artistic potential in pairing the two antiquated ideas just like that, more so than reflect our present, more accurate understanding of one or both. Just my 2 cents.

Jurassic Park's effect on general knowledge of dinosaurs is thanks to how big that movie was just as much as the groundbreaking SFX. Everyone saw it, even if they weren't dinosaur fans, so those dinosaurs entered public consciousness overnight. I don't think Gwangi appeals to such a broad audience, so the impact of "modern" dinosaurs would be somewhat lost.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G-Force Personnel

Terasawa wrote:
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:
^ I appreciate that sentiment and agree that it's time for the pop cultural expectation of dinosaurs to catch up to paleontology. But I don't think a remake of The Valley of Gwangi is the vehicle for it. When you think about it, the original movie is not only giving us inaccurate dinosaurs but an inaccurate Old West, too. Hollywood's goody-two-shoes cowboys are just as archaic in 2020 as tail-dragging dinosaurs are. I think there's artistic potential in pairing the two antiquated ideas just like that, more so than reflect our present, more accurate understanding of one or both. Just my 2 cents.

Jurassic Park's effect on general knowledge of dinosaurs is thanks to how big that movie was just as much as the groundbreaking SFX. Everyone saw it, even if they weren't dinosaur fans, so those dinosaurs entered public consciousness overnight. I don't think Gwangi appeals to such a broad audience, so the impact of "modern" dinosaurs would be somewhat lost.
Okay, just got back from rewatching Gwangi because I wanted to check something.
As I initially recalled, nobody in that movie is what would be classified as goody-two-shoes cowboys like say Magnificent Seven or Rio Bravo, or even "real" cowboys for that matter. The male lead is a showman in Buffalo Bill's show, the female lead is running a struggling rodeo, and the majority of the tagalong cast are in her employ. It's the turn of the century, everyone is already playing the romanticized idea of cowboy for the rodeo. Also, everyone's initial interest in the valley's occupants is almost entirely selfish. The Eohippus was brought to the rodeo to be an attraction, Tuck wants to sell it off to the highest bidder and the paleontologist starts drooling over the prestige he'll receive for presenting it to the scientific community. From there just about every major event is fueled in one way or another by selfishness. A good remake I believe would lean in on that, driving home that each new problem and tragedy is the fault of the cast and no one else. For extra kick, you could even add that the rodeo cowboys are the real dinosaurs, playing to inaccurate stereotypes for the entertainment of the ignorant masses. I don't have anything particularly against those old depictions of either cowboys or dinosaurs, but in this case we literally already have the old movie with all that old-timey goodness, remaking it with all of that intact feels really superfluous.

You've got me there, I doubt anything can have the kind of cultural impact the original Jurassic Park had again, but if it's a really good movie that gets popular I still think it would at least point pop culture in the right direction, even if it can't sway it entirely.

Added in 12 minutes 25 seconds:
Now, if you wanted to make a new, original movie paying homage to the classic cowboy and dinosaur depictions using VoG as a general framework, then I say go for it and let that artistic merit flow.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Since several of you have suggested remakes of various Harryhausen films, here’s my own pitch : Jason and the Argonauts. With a team consisting of the right director and/or writer(s) who can handle it with care, I think all’s well. The biggest glaring problem with the original is that the story just stops after the skeleton fight and it does show Jason liberating his home city and claiming his birthright. Another potential factor in a remake’s favor could be more accuracy to the original Greek myth, that is so long as it doesn’t deviate to far from what Harryhausen and co. worked so hard on way back when.

The original Greek myth, Jason and the Golden Fleece featured not the a Hydra guarding the Fleece, but a group of fire-breathing bulls and a generic dragon. As for Talos, the original version was only 8 meters and his body was made of hot, burning metal, which he would press against any unfortunate victim he could get his hands on. As for a director, I’d pick John Favraeu.

G-Force Personnel

LegendZilla wrote:Since several of you have suggested remakes of various Harryhausen films, here’s my own pitch : Jason and the Argonauts. With a team consisting of the right director and/or writer(s) who can handle it with care, I think all’s well. The biggest glaring problem with the original is that the story just stops after the skeleton fight and it does show Jason liberating his home city and claiming his birthright. Another potential factor in a remake’s favor could be more accuracy to the original Greek myth, that is so long as it doesn’t deviate to far from what Harryhausen and co. worked so hard on way back when.

The original Greek myth, Jason and the Golden Fleece featured not the a Hydra guarding the Fleece, but a group of fire-breathing bulls and a generic dragon. As for Talos, the original version was only 8 meters and his body was made of hot, burning metal, which he would press against any unfortunate victim he could get his hands on. As for a director, I’d pick John Favraeu.
As long as it doesn't go the same direction as the Clash of the Titans remake, I'd say that sounds good to me. The Golden Fleece was the Greek myth I actually read, so I'm on board for a more faithful retelling, though that begs the question of whether a remake of the old movie or a completely fresh take would be best.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Sicne we're still on classic monster movis, 20 Million Miles to Earth.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:13 pm Since several of you have suggested remakes of various Harryhausen films, here’s my own pitch : Jason and the Argonauts. With a team consisting of the right director and/or writer(s) who can handle it with care, I think all’s well. The biggest glaring problem with the original is that the story just stops after the skeleton fight and it does show Jason liberating his home city and claiming his birthright. Another potential factor in a remake’s favor could be more accuracy to the original Greek myth, that is so long as it doesn’t deviate to far from what Harryhausen and co. worked so hard on way back when.

Or if they do want to make a sequel, they've already got an existing storyline - the comic book miniseries Jason and the Argonauts: The Kingdom of Hades. From what I've heard about it, it picks up right where the original film left off and actually finishes the story.

Today, it would probably have to be an animated film (either traditional or CGI) to make the characters look like the ones in the original film, since most, if not all, of the actors and actresses who portrayed them are either retired or dead.