Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by The One and Only »

NEON MANIACS. The 1986 released horror flick written by PUMPKINHEAD co-creator Mark Patrick Carducci. The story involving an eclectic group of creatures who are sort've a combination of the Cenobites from HELLRAISER and the Village People. Who kill a bunch of teenagers out for a fun night in the park, and pursue the survivor of their massacre throughout the flick. The title character themselves, the Maniacs, are pretty cool. The varied designs reminded me if the contestants on the Sci-Fi Channel competitive monster make-up show, FACE/OFF were given their own movie to make. And watching the flick after snagging the DVD after seeing Good Bad Flicks' review you could see the potential MANIACS had for franchise. However, due to behind the scenes production issues involving a couple of the film's investors bowing out. Production stalled, so the producers had to go out ,and secure more funding for the flick. This on ,and off schedule resulted in the producers tasking what footage they had ,and assembling the flick some here maybe familiar with. With it truncated ending, and a whole lot of plotlines in the air. This Eighties Oddity would be perfect material for a remake. Some good characters with the human protagonists, not too mention the Maniacs themselves. All off which are perfect action figure material. It would be nice to see someone resurrect this property, and get the film properly made like it should have been. For the film ,and the story behind the story. Check out Good Bad Flicks' review here.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^^^^^Neon Maniacs would benefit from a remake, but you'd need the right people behind it.

The world definitely deserves a new C.H.U.D.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Another one that could use a Hollywood reboot/remake is Attack on Titan. That has sick potential if done right and could also look amazing in modern CGI.

Funny I should say that: there currently is one in production. Who knows if it'll ever come to pass, but I'm game.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

KManX89 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:02 pm Another one that could use a Hollywood reboot/remake is Attack on Titan. That has sick potential if done right and could also look amazing in modern CGI.

Funny I should say that: there currently is one in production. Who knows if it'll ever come to pass, but I'm game.
As with literally every Anime/manga adaptation from Hollywood save for maybe Alita, it's bound to suck. At least a over 90% likelihood.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:20 pm
KManX89 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:02 pm Another one that could use a Hollywood reboot/remake is Attack on Titan. That has sick potential if done right and could also look amazing in modern CGI.

As with literally every Anime/manga adaptation from Hollywood save for maybe Alita, it's bound to suck. At least a over 90% likelihood.
Or.. y'know. There's a chance it could easily get out of that rut and it could totally be good.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I have faith in the live action Gundam movie. Jordan Vogt-Roberts (the director of K:SI and soon-to-be director of the live action Gundam movie) is a huge Gundam fan and understands the themes, characters, and messages very well.

I doubt there’s any big name director in Hollywood that understands AoT, though…
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:36 pm

I have faith in the live action Gundam movie. Jordan Vogt-Roberts (the director of K:SI and soon-to-be director of the live action Gundam movie) is a huge Gundam fan and understands the themes, characters, and messages very well.

I doubt there’s any big name director in Hollywood that understands AoT, though…
Edge of Tomorrow was good as well, though it borrows so little from the actual manga, save for Rita, it might as well not even be an adaptation of the All You Need is Kill manga. Even the name is different.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'd like to see Robot Jox get a reboot/remake
The caveat is they have to do the FX the same but with a bigger budget because I live in a cocoon of fantasy
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Bumping this thread because this popped into my head last night and I can't get it out of it.

We all know TMNT is as big as it ever was and will always be on top of the whole "anthropomorphic super hero" genre. However, myself, I never cared for TMNT. But Street Sharks? Oh yeah. I'd kill to see a big budget, live action Street Sharks film. And to help set it apart from the kid friendly universe that TMNT is (compared to its original intent...), give it a Deadpool treatment. I'm talking blood and gore as the Street Sharks literally take bites out of crime. Plus, I think this is the only medium that has ever truly treated sharks as "good guys" opposed to man-eaters and outright bad guys.

Revive it. Make it funny. Make it violent. Make it gory.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Ninja Turtles was originally much more darker and violent when it debuted in comic form.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:21 am Bumping this thread because this popped into my head last night and I can't get it out of it.

We all know TMNT is as big as it ever was and will always be on top of the whole "anthropomorphic super hero" genre. However, myself, I never cared for TMNT. But Street Sharks? Oh yeah. I'd kill to see a big budget, live action Street Sharks film. And to help set it apart from the kid friendly universe that TMNT is (compared to its original intent...), give it a Deadpool treatment. I'm talking blood and gore as the Street Sharks literally take bites out of crime. Plus, I think this is the only medium that has ever truly treated sharks as "good guys" opposed to man-eaters and outright bad guys.

And while you're at it, don't forget the spin-off animated TV series Extreme Dinosaurs. That series hasn't even gotten a complete-series DVD release like Street Sharks did. Mill Creek should've done it long ago like they did with this series, Godzilla: The Series, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?, Liberty's Kids (both in a regular edition and an Education Edition) and Archie's Weird Mysteries.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:58 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:21 am Bumping this thread because this popped into my head last night and I can't get it out of it.

And while you're at it, don't forget the spin-off animated TV series Extreme Dinosaurs. That series hasn't even gotten a complete-series DVD release like Street Sharks did. Mill Creek should've done it long ago like they did with this series, Godzilla: The Series, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?, Liberty's Kids (both in a regular edition and an Education Edition) and Archie's Weird Mysteries.
That could be the after credits scene!

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:22 am
mikelcho wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:58 am

That could be the after credits scene!
Hey, that's a great idea; good thing you thought of that! I forgot all about that silly thing!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Basket Case. It’d be funny. Just make it a flat out horror comedy.
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Ever since the Disney Live Action Remake trend took off, I've consistently thought a proper remake of Dinosaur would be great.

Get rid of the voices, increase the darker imagery of the concepts, maybe some of the more accurate initial designs and a more period accurate cast, and it would be super unique.

That also goes for THAT film from 2013.

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know what film i want to see get remade, even though there's logically no reason to remake it?

Planet of the Dinosaurs.

A film about skreoonking ALIEN DINOSAURS. Literally what's not to love?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I can’t imagine why anyone around here would flat out object to a Gwangi reboot in the Monsterverse. I started a thread on the topic, but it got shot down quickly after everyone almost unanimously spoke out adamantly against it. I just don’t get it, why is Gwangi not fit for The Monsterverse in your eyes, even if they gave him the Kaiju-treatment? Some people said that Gwangi is just a generic theropod, but hey why can’t Kong be just dismissed as a generic ape? Despite that, look at how his long-awaited rematch with Godzilla turned out. Sure it may’ve not been universally acclaimed critically, but it sure as hell did financially.

If I were to guess, Gwangi, unlike Kong is a reptile rather than a primate and therefore, lacks the relatability factor. Does this reflect how you really feel? If not, I will appreciate a clarification.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:57 pm I can’t imagine why anyone around here would flat out object to a Gwangi reboot in the Monsterverse. I started a thread on the topic, but it got shot down quickly after everyone almost unanimously spoke out adamantly against it. I just don’t get it, why is Gwangi not fit for The Monsterverse in your eyes, even if they gave him the Kaiju-treatment? Some people said that Gwangi is just a generic theropod, but hey why can’t Kong be just dismissed as a generic ape? Despite that, look at how his long-awaited rematch with Godzilla turned out. Sure it may’ve not been universally acclaimed critically, but it sure as hell did financially.
1. Calling Kong a generic ape is dumb
2. Gwangi just.. doesn't fit with what the MonsterVerse is going for. Even giving him the kaiju treatment, there's nothing really going for him that mixes well with what the MV is going for. His deaign is going to look super generic compared to the other monsters, and the plot of his movie is just too dumb and cheesy compared to everything elae too.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The general public probably doesn’t even know who Gwangi is. Kong and Goji are household names.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:57 pm I can’t imagine why anyone around here would flat out object to a Gwangi reboot in the Monsterverse.
This again? Gwangi isn't an iconic monster, he's a relatively obscure C-lister who has no business being in the Monsterverse.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.