Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
User avatar
Spuro
Keizer
Posts: 8021
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: AB, Canada

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:28 pm Here's another idea and It's quite possibly the most controversial one imaginable, right up with the idea of remaking Godzilla 1954 : One day they should give a hard Star Wars reboot a chance.
Nah, they already did that in 2015...

Ba-dum Tsssshhhh
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan indo muu
Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan
Tounjukanraa
Kasaku yaanmu

User avatar
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7009
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by LegendZilla »

KK42 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:28 pm Here's another idea and It's quite possibly the most controversial one imaginable, right up with the idea of remaking Godzilla 1954 : One day they should give a hard Star Wars reboot a chance.
Nah, they already did that in 2015...
It was not a reboot, but rather a sequel set in the same continuity as the films that came before it. That doesn't count.

User avatar
Spuro
Keizer
Posts: 8021
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: AB, Canada

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:03 pm
KK42 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:28 pm Here's another idea and It's quite possibly the most controversial one imaginable, right up with the idea of remaking Godzilla 1954 : One day they should give a hard Star Wars reboot a chance.
Nah, they already did that in 2015...
It was not a reboot, but rather a sequel set in the same continuity as the films that came before it. That doesn't count.
One more time, but with bigger text: Ba-dum Tsssshhhh.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan indo muu
Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan
Tounjukanraa
Kasaku yaanmu

User avatar
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7009
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by LegendZilla »

KK42 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 pm
One more time, but with bigger text: Ba-dum Tsssshhhh.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

User avatar
Spuro
Keizer
Posts: 8021
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: AB, Canada

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:33 pm
KK42 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 pm
One more time, but with bigger text: Ba-dum Tsssshhhh.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
:rimshot:

It means it's a joke.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan indo muu
Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan
Tounjukanraa
Kasaku yaanmu

User avatar
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7009
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by LegendZilla »

KK42 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:36 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:33 pm
KK42 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 pm
One more time, but with bigger text: Ba-dum Tsssshhhh.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
:rimshot:

It means it's a joke.
Joking aside, it astounds me that Star Wars has never gotten a reboot in the literal sense. Sure Episode VII was highly derivative of the original film, but like I said, that still does NOT count as a reboot since it was still technically a sequel.

User avatar
Voyager
Futurian
Posts: 3284
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Location: Deutsche UNGCC HQ

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 pm, but like I said, that still does NOT count as a reboot since it was still technically a sequel.
That was his joke. He’s well aware that it was a sequel, and was playing on the fact that TFA takes alot from A New Hope.
We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day…

User avatar
ROMG4
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am
Location: Monster Island

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by ROMG4 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 pm
KK42 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:36 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:33 pm

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
:rimshot:

It means it's a joke.
Joking aside, it astounds me that Star Wars has never gotten a reboot in the literal sense. Sure Episode VII was highly derivative of the original film, but like I said, that still does NOT count as a reboot since it was still technically a sequel.
Because there's simply no point or time where a reboot of the OT would have happened. George was obsessed with perfecting the OT but that was through edits and not a remake, and because the idea of rebooting Star Wars is even worse than the idea of rebooting Jaws
Image

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

User avatar
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7009
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by LegendZilla »

ROMG4 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:45 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 pm
KK42 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:36 pm

:rimshot:

It means it's a joke.
Joking aside, it astounds me that Star Wars has never gotten a reboot in the literal sense. Sure Episode VII was highly derivative of the original film, but like I said, that still does NOT count as a reboot since it was still technically a sequel.
Because there's simply no point or time where a reboot of the OT would have happened. George was obsessed with perfecting the OT but that was through edits and not a remake, and because the idea of rebooting Star Wars is even worse than the idea of rebooting Jaws.
Yeah, but guess, what Jaws was based on a novel and in the past, when I’ve debated remaking movies around here, people have stated that if you quote-on-quote remake a film based on a novel, it’s not technically a remake but rather a re-adaptation of the source material. Throughout history, single novels have had multiple adaptations.

User avatar
shadowgigan
G-Grasper
Posts: 1257
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by shadowgigan »

I dont like the idea of a Jaws remake. I have no confidence in filmmakers ability to reproduce the magic of that film. It's almost like they "caught lighting in a bottle." For me, Jaws is very much a product of its time and I think that's partly why I enjoy it so much. Cinematography has certainly changed over the years in addition to sound editing, etc. Besides this, America itself has changed a lot in the years since Jaws was released. I'm not sure characters like Quinn even exist anymore.

I wish I could articulate what I don't like about modern cinematography and sound editing. I lack the vocabularly. Perhaps its the overuse of super-dark scenes, whispering that I can't make out, the overuse of bass-y tones....I don't know.
Image
Image
>>>Vote for BioGoji<<<

HEISEI WON. THE ELECTION WAS RIGGED. I DEMAND A RECOUNT.

User avatar
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7009
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by LegendZilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:37 pm I dont like the idea of a Jaws remake. I have no confidence in filmmakers ability to reproduce the magic of that film. It's almost like they "caught lighting in a bottle." For me, Jaws is very much a product of its time and I think that's partly why I enjoy it so much. Cinematography has certainly changed over the years in addition to sound editing, etc. Besides this, America itself has changed a lot in the years since Jaws was released. I'm not sure characters like Quinn even exist anymore.

I wish I could articulate what I don't like about modern cinematography and sound editing. I lack the vocabularly. Perhaps its the overuse of super-dark scenes, whispering that I can't make out, the overuse of bass-y tones....I don't know.
As for the character of Quint being a “product of his time”, you can get around that by having the movie take place in the 70’s.

User avatar
Major sssspielberg!
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 am

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Jaws does not need a remake, reboot, or anything. There's a million shark movies and everything that sets Jaws apart was lighting in a bottle like shadowgigan said. Hell, Spielberg doesn't even do Spielberg movies as good as he used to.
As far as other potential reboot/remakes, I'd love to see somebody tackle C.H.U.D. again.
I hate the Jurassic World movies personally, but I respect the fact that people like them and the franchise likely won't stop. So I'd like to see a Joker situation where they do a more literal adaptation of Jurassic Park the novel while still cranking out JW. "Aliens with dinosaurs" like the James Cameron pitch, if you will.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Wed May 05, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PitchBlackProgress wrote: Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.
:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

User avatar
Mac Daddy MM
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:45 am "Aliens with dinosaurs" like the James Cameron pitch, if you will.
Or Carnosaur 2!
Image

User avatar
Major sssspielberg!
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 am

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:28 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:45 am "Aliens with dinosaurs" like the James Cameron pitch, if you will.
Or Carnosaur 2!
Now we're talking real cinéma my friend
PitchBlackProgress wrote: Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.
:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

User avatar
Gigantis
Keizer
Posts: 8281
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Gigantis »

Roger Corman's great with B-Movies if the Sharktopus trilogy is any indication.. imagine the batshit insaneness of that, thrown into a Carnosaur reboot (he made the original films too if you guys didn't know) that's just intentionally riffing on the new giant monster craze with absolutely no regrets. :lol:
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5181
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Personally, I'd love to see a straight Carnosaur reboot based on the legitimately kind of good novel. Though I'd imagine that would be an issue given the Fallen Kingdom similarities :lol:
Image

They could talk to each other?

To a degree we never imagined......

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Bigdog »

The One and Only wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:16 pm Personally I'm not against remaking the original Godzilla, but...more interesting to me than remaking the film is revisiting it. I'm thinking of a different plot with different characters who just happen to take place during the events of the first movie. A side story that doesn't try to compete or contradict the original.
Like the first issue of IDW, and James Stoke's GODZILLA:The Half-Century War which dealt with a tank commander, and his best bud encountering the Big-G when the beast first hit Tokyo in 1954. Excellent book by the way.

CANNONBALL RUN . A franchise I thought could be rebooted, relaunched, and had read once or twice was being looked to be remade a few years back by director Guy Ritche, with George Clooney starring. Watching the fourth entry to The Fast & The Furious franchise a few years ago, and the seemingly unstoppable nature of the series. I didn't think it was too far out there that a-udiences would be game for a more comedic take on illegal street racing with a whole ensemble cast of comedic talent. Seth Rogan. Adam Sandler. Johnny Knoxville. Bradley Cooper. Jeff Galifinkis. Paul Rudd. And other fan favorites.
There's also the Dark Horse comic that did a similar thing as a backstory for their King of the Monsters comic.

Not that I wouldn't mind a properly done remake. It would simply feel superfluous like every other remake if it wasn't another adaptation of the original novel, like with Mothra or the Mysterians. Even then, it would feel redundant and be constantly compared to the original.

Guess that's why I liked Maleficent and Cruella. Both are Elseworlds that take the story different from the canon in far more interesting ways than the Last Airbenderization of The Lion King or Aladdin [never seen this, but the footage itself made it look like a joke.] While the former has mediocre CGI that looks like some generic over-processed Photoshop Magazine cover and has fairies that delve far too much into the uncanny valley, it was more of a character driven flick that Jolie aced. On the other hand, Cruella basically improved on that formula too well, meaning there can't really be a sequel unless Roger is the villain and Cruella isn't some dog killer. Practically an example of diminishing returns if I've ever seen one.

Here's the movies I'd choose for a remake/reboot:

1.Winchester [2018] This movie was an unintentional comedy for me. Sorry for laughing hysterically at every absurdity or when it literally turned into a gun-fu Bleach knockoff set in the early 20th century. This movie has great potential to be a terrifying horror flick as long as it is a psychological horror This would crib somewhat from the Haunted Mansion as that cribbed from the house that inspired this movie. There's no literal ghosts but the ones people allow to plague them and this obsession with this regret causes the tragic series of events to occur.

2. Ghost in the Shell. More of a re-filmed extended cut that makes it similar to Stand Alone Complex, while an ensemble of celebrities portray Section 9, namely the Major. In a world where people can change every aspect of themselves, Zoe Saldana, Rinko Kikuchi and Scarlett Johannsen all portray the Major as the Shells are basically another way to break into enemy lines and do their intelligence work. It's a way of showing how the Major has an identity crisis she hardly addresses from switching her bodies so often, being the woman she is. The director Rupert Sanders said this was the case in an interview, but it needed to fully depicted in the film itself instead of as damage control. Also, Yoko Kanno's soundtrack and Origa are joined with the likes of Bjork and Daft Punk in the film's soundtrack.

3. The Last Airbender. The issues are basically in pacing and in a script, besides the casting nonsense. Split in two movies per "book" and streamline the narratives. The Earthbender Prison story is merged with Kyoshi Island's. The Warriors are hesitant to fight the Fire Nation due to not wanting to endanger their island and its people to the War and the prison is at sea. They're convinced to join the war and help aid the Earthbenders with Sokka's machinations by having them bend coal. From then on, they venture, get a Waterbending scroll from pirates until the Gaang is mostly struck with illness. Zuko's defeat isn't unnoticed by Zhao and the two engage in an Agni Kai, with Zuko winning. Iroh of course intervenes when Zhao launches a burst of flames from his right fist and they depart for Roku's island, using the headway from Zuko's victory to race there before Zhao. After Aang meets Roku, he finds himself at the mercy of Zhao. The climax is of course, The Blue Spirit. The Blue Spirit frees Aang and is eventually discovered by Aang to be Zuko. The movie ends at this point as Aang flees right back to his friends wishing they could be friends. Zhao discovers that Zuko is possibly the Blue Spirit and has him assassinated through Combustion Man. Part 2 deals with the Northern Air Temple,elements of the Bandit episode, Bato, the Waterbending Master and the Siege of the North. Meaning, the Kyoshi Warriors follow the Gaang to the Northern Water Tribe instead of disappearing into the ether and while the sky goes red, they and Sokka are the only thing standing in the Fire Nation's way until Aang merges with the Ocean Spirit. The Kyoshi Warriors head back home and Pakku gives Katara water from the Spirit Oasis.

4. Halloween [2007] My main issues with this remake is it turns into revenge porn ,makes most of his kills pricks and jerks, and relies far too much on unsympathetic stereotypes of working class people. Michael Myers comes from a happy family that lives on the other side of the tracks. It's discovered that Dr. Loomis is an abusive fraud that wants to take advantage of Laurie in the same way to bolster his book sales and fame, and by that film's end, is arrested and thrown into prison while Laurie goes to her brother's grave, leaving flowers for their parents before she leaves with her infant daughter far away from Haddonfield.

5. Fantasy Island. Make it feel like an earnest adaptation of the original series that isn't some horror flick in any way, because there's too much cynicism as it is. At most, it could be as stylistic as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [2005].

6. Dragon Ball Evolution. An action-comedy, it's basically a straight live action adaptation of "Path to Power" with Wuxia elements while taking from the Red Ribbon arc. Bulma is 20 and Goku is 10. Roshi's behavior ,though drastically toned down, is explained as a result of trauma not dealt with turning into a desire for hedonism and escape from the horrors of the outside world. He's a hermit until he's forced back into it. As a result, his character develops into his non-perverted version in Super. He's basically like Haymitch. The Red Ribbons,led by Pilaf, feature as the antagonists. Goku turns into Oozaru and has his tail cut off.

7. Death Note. Just rip off the 2006 live action film from Japan and make it a period film set in that era. Why try to modernize it or reinvent the wheel?

8. Mulan. Make it a Wuxia-styled trilogy where she's an ordinary girl against uneven odds and there's no magic that creates plotholes. It borrows substantially from the original Disney film for Western audiences, including the characters, but uses the war drama evident in other adaptations to show Mulan's rise as a hero of her people. If China can love Kung Fu Panda, they'd love this redo over the pandering version that turned Mulan into a super-powered witch-jedi, because we all know that some young woman couldn't possibly fight on her own merits at all, right?

9. The Dragon Tattoo series. Sony really screwed this one over by having the Fincher adaptation thrown near Christmas 2011 and barely advertised at all, while the reboot seems like an utter joke. Sure, it's been ten years, but an adaptation of the second book with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara set a decade instead of right after the first might make it better. Daniel Craig's popular from the Bond series and it's stupid from a business perspective not to take advantage of that fame. The third could be filmed back to back with the second, and maybe do a reboot of the Spider Web rewritten consistently with the same tone as the previous films.

User avatar
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7009
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by LegendZilla »

Another property that’s ripe for a reboot it Katsuhiro Otomo’s AKIRA. Sure the 80’s film is well-loved and acclaimed, but it does have a stigma over the fact it’s 6 volumes of a 2000-page manga framed into a single 2-hour film.

I think the best way to re-adapt it would be as a film trilogy. Also, make sure it’s not done by Hollywood.

User avatar
Jermobooka
G-Grasper
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:22 pm
Location: Somewheeeere over the rainbow

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Jermobooka »

After seeing Daimajin in the Kaiju War trailer, I feel like a director like, say, Anno could pull off a Daimajin reboot damn well. There’s a ton of things you could do with Daimajin that would make for interesting characters, plots, and action sequences.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
KManX89
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1826
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by KManX89 »

Bigdog wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:22 am
The One and Only wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:16 pm Personally I'm not against remaking the original Godzilla, but...more interesting to me than remaking the film is revisiting it. I'm thinking of a different plot with different characters who just happen to take place during the events of the first movie. A side story that doesn't try to compete or contradict the original.
Like the first issue of IDW, and James Stoke's GODZILLA:The Half-Century War which dealt with a tank commander, and his best bud encountering the Big-G when the beast first hit Tokyo in 1954. Excellent book by the way.

CANNONBALL RUN . A franchise I thought could be rebooted, relaunched, and had read once or twice was being looked to be remade a few years back by director Guy Ritche, with George Clooney starring. Watching the fourth entry to The Fast & The Furious franchise a few years ago, and the seemingly unstoppable nature of the series. I didn't think it was too far out there that a-udiences would be game for a more comedic take on illegal street racing with a whole ensemble cast of comedic talent. Seth Rogan. Adam Sandler. Johnny Knoxville. Bradley Cooper. Jeff Galifinkis. Paul Rudd. And other fan favorites.
There's also the Dark Horse comic that did a similar thing as a backstory for their King of the Monsters comic.

Not that I wouldn't mind a properly done remake. It would simply feel superfluous like every other remake if it wasn't another adaptation of the original novel, like with Mothra or the Mysterians. Even then, it would feel redundant and be constantly compared to the original.

Guess that's why I liked Maleficent and Cruella. Both are Elseworlds that take the story different from the canon in far more interesting ways than the Last Airbenderization of The Lion King or Aladdin [never seen this, but the footage itself made it look like a joke.] While the former has mediocre CGI that looks like some generic over-processed Photoshop Magazine cover and has fairies that delve far too much into the uncanny valley, it was more of a character driven flick that Jolie aced. On the other hand, Cruella basically improved on that formula too well, meaning there can't really be a sequel unless Roger is the villain and Cruella isn't some dog killer. Practically an example of diminishing returns if I've ever seen one.

Here's the movies I'd choose for a remake/reboot:

1.Winchester [2018] This movie was an unintentional comedy for me. Sorry for laughing hysterically at every absurdity or when it literally turned into a gun-fu Bleach knockoff set in the early 20th century. This movie has great potential to be a terrifying horror flick as long as it is a psychological horror This would crib somewhat from the Haunted Mansion as that cribbed from the house that inspired this movie. There's no literal ghosts but the ones people allow to plague them and this obsession with this regret causes the tragic series of events to occur.

2. Ghost in the Shell. More of a re-filmed extended cut that makes it similar to Stand Alone Complex, while an ensemble of celebrities portray Section 9, namely the Major. In a world where people can change every aspect of themselves, Zoe Saldana, Rinko Kikuchi and Scarlett Johannsen all portray the Major as the Shells are basically another way to break into enemy lines and do their intelligence work. It's a way of showing how the Major has an identity crisis she hardly addresses from switching her bodies so often, being the woman she is. The director Rupert Sanders said this was the case in an interview, but it needed to fully depicted in the film itself instead of as damage control. Also, Yoko Kanno's soundtrack and Origa are joined with the likes of Bjork and Daft Punk in the film's soundtrack.

3. The Last Airbender. The issues are basically in pacing and in a script, besides the casting nonsense. Split in two movies per "book" and streamline the narratives. The Earthbender Prison story is merged with Kyoshi Island's. The Warriors are hesitant to fight the Fire Nation due to not wanting to endanger their island and its people to the War and the prison is at sea. They're convinced to join the war and help aid the Earthbenders with Sokka's machinations by having them bend coal. From then on, they venture, get a Waterbending scroll from pirates until the Gaang is mostly struck with illness. Zuko's defeat isn't unnoticed by Zhao and the two engage in an Agni Kai, with Zuko winning. Iroh of course intervenes when Zhao launches a burst of flames from his right fist and they depart for Roku's island, using the headway from Zuko's victory to race there before Zhao. After Aang meets Roku, he finds himself at the mercy of Zhao. The climax is of course, The Blue Spirit. The Blue Spirit frees Aang and is eventually discovered by Aang to be Zuko. The movie ends at this point as Aang flees right back to his friends wishing they could be friends. Zhao discovers that Zuko is possibly the Blue Spirit and has him assassinated through Combustion Man. Part 2 deals with the Northern Air Temple,elements of the Bandit episode, Bato, the Waterbending Master and the Siege of the North. Meaning, the Kyoshi Warriors follow the Gaang to the Northern Water Tribe instead of disappearing into the ether and while the sky goes red, they and Sokka are the only thing standing in the Fire Nation's way until Aang merges with the Ocean Spirit. The Kyoshi Warriors head back home and Pakku gives Katara water from the Spirit Oasis.

4. Halloween [2007] My main issues with this remake is it turns into revenge porn ,makes most of his kills pricks and jerks, and relies far too much on unsympathetic stereotypes of working class people. Michael Myers comes from a happy family that lives on the other side of the tracks. It's discovered that Dr. Loomis is an abusive fraud that wants to take advantage of Laurie in the same way to bolster his book sales and fame, and by that film's end, is arrested and thrown into prison while Laurie goes to her brother's grave, leaving flowers for their parents before she leaves with her infant daughter far away from Haddonfield.

5. Fantasy Island. Make it feel like an earnest adaptation of the original series that isn't some horror flick in any way, because there's too much cynicism as it is. At most, it could be as stylistic as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [2005].

6. Dragon Ball Evolution. An action-comedy, it's basically a straight live action adaptation of "Path to Power" with Wuxia elements while taking from the Red Ribbon arc. Bulma is 20 and Goku is 10. Roshi's behavior ,though drastically toned down, is explained as a result of trauma not dealt with turning into a desire for hedonism and escape from the horrors of the outside world. He's a hermit until he's forced back into it. As a result, his character develops into his non-perverted version in Super. He's basically like Haymitch. The Red Ribbons,led by Pilaf, feature as the antagonists. Goku turns into Oozaru and has his tail cut off.

7. Death Note. Just rip off the 2006 live action film from Japan and make it a period film set in that era. Why try to modernize it or reinvent the wheel?

8. Mulan. Make it a Wuxia-styled trilogy where she's an ordinary girl against uneven odds and there's no magic that creates plotholes. It borrows substantially from the original Disney film for Western audiences, including the characters, but uses the war drama evident in other adaptations to show Mulan's rise as a hero of her people. If China can love Kung Fu Panda, they'd love this redo over the pandering version that turned Mulan into a super-powered witch-jedi, because we all know that some young woman couldn't possibly fight on her own merits at all, right?

9. The Dragon Tattoo series. Sony really screwed this one over by having the Fincher adaptation thrown near Christmas 2011 and barely advertised at all, while the reboot seems like an utter joke. Sure, it's been ten years, but an adaptation of the second book with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara set a decade instead of right after the first might make it better. Daniel Craig's popular from the Bond series and it's stupid from a business perspective not to take advantage of that fame. The third could be filmed back to back with the second, and maybe do a reboot of the Spider Web rewritten consistently with the same tone as the previous films.
There's 0 chance of The Last Airbender or Ghost in the Shell getting rebooted because of the bad stigma surrounding the films that came before it. I could see them taking another stab at a live-action Dragon Ball movie, but that's about it.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Post Reply