Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:27 am
MaxRebo320 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:26 am Given they're Toho-owned, the chances of them seeing any release in the US are pretty slim (Criterion Channel, maybe?), especially on Blu-Ray, considering they aren't even on BD in Japan.
That's true, but Arrow itself set a precedent when it released the Bloodthirsty Trilogy before Toho. I don't expect these movies any time soon, but it also wouldn't floor me if a Western release was announced tomorrow, either.
True, true. I guess it's mostly unlikely by virtue the fact there'd be little interest here in the US for those movies, but Arrow have released stranger things (Like standalone releases for Teruo Ishii movies that frankly aren't any good). Still, the first movie needs a release, likewise the other aforementioned Kadokawa titles. They're bloated, overbaked productions, but man do I love them.

Also, while we're on the subject of Kon Ichikawa, Criterion needs to reissue The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain on Blu-Ray.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

It's pretty much a given that all American toku fans want Kamen Rider home video releases over here - but seeing Keita Amemiya's wraparound cover paininting for the Japanese triple-feature blu-ray of Kamen Rider Shin/ZO/J? Never have I felt a mightier need for a release to be ported over here with that cover art!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/ ... 1855531008

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Warlords of Atlantis. I know there was an R2 DVD release of this many years ago, but it has never been on any video format in NA for some reason. Kino has released "Land" and "People" that Time Forgot, as well as "At The Earth's Core" on BRD. I have the older MGM budget dvd's. I was hoping Kino would release all 4 films as a set. "Atlantis" seems to be a truly lost film, anyone have any idea why it's never had a media release in NA? I mean the R2 DVD is relatively inexpensive, and I could hook up my laptop to my TV and watch it that way, but I'd rather not if I didn't have to...
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The Indiana Jones films is officially getting the 4K treatment.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:23 pm The Indiana Jones films is officially getting the 4K treatment.
I would love it if they were made available as individual releases and not just a Box Set. I think Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade make an amazing double feature...but I don't care much for the other 2 films.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I've been researching the Chris Reeve Superman films a bit more. I juts found out the full 188 minute Extended (TV) version is available on streaming, so I purchased/watched that for the first time recently (this is the 3rd version of this film I own). I also have the Theatrical and Donner cuts of SII, but would love for an official release of the Extended TV cut of SII to get a BRD or streaming release as well. Also, just for completeness sake, the TV cut of Superman III where the opening credits are in space ,like the other films, as they should be.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Both Dracula Dead and Loving It and Beavis and Butthead Do America are finally coming out on Bluray! About time!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:05 am Both Dracula Dead and Loving It and Beavis and Butthead Do America are finally coming out on Bluray! About time!
Gosh...Beavis and Butthead Do America is SUCH a comedy gem!

I would REALLY like to see the original Hobbit animated film to get a proper restoration/remaster and release on Blu Ray.

To be brutally honest, as a 70 minute feature it is certainly my preferred way to experience the story of The Hobbit instead of the 8+ hour abomination Jackson unleashed upon us.

With it being a musical, opening with the classic 'zoom in on the book and hear the narration' method used at the beginning...it almost feels like this is what Frodo would have been imagining in his mind as Bilbo or Gandalf were telling him stories of the events of The Hobbit...and then The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is the sort of "Harsh reality" of the fantasy world Frodo imagined.

Also....it isn't a movie, but DARN it would be nice to see the original Dragon Ball series get a proper HD remaster and release onto Blu Ray.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:37 am

To be brutally honest, as a 70 minute feature it is certainly my preferred way to experience the story of The Hobbit instead of the 8+ hour abomination Jackson unleashed upon us.
You can't really blame Jackson for either the length or the state of the Hobbit trilogy. Warner Bros decided to lay on the executive meddling heavy and thick with the trilogy, ESPECIALLY the forced in third movie, and Jackson himself had to pick up the pieces from where Del Toro left off and with practically zero pre-production time at that. It's a miracle the trilogy is even as watchable a state as is given the utterly horrid troubled production it went through. There's entire articles and interviews over just how little control Jackson actually had with the trilogy and how much WB kept stabbing their grubby fingers in and demanding/forcing more and more changes and love triangles and cutting out characterization for more action...

But yes, the animated Hobbit movie is a much more enjoyable and brisk way to expiernce the story than WB's butchered trilogy.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I almost forgot all about this movie...

With Ticks getting a Blu-Ray now, this marks one of the last movies I have been dying to see get a BR release. I still have the VHS, but I haven't busted out any tapes or my VCR in years now.

Proteus is a mid-90s, typical Thing/Alien-esque movie that takes place on a rig at sea. Throw in some drug traffickers and give the monster a healthy dose of shark DNA and you got this rather unique and fun, but often forgotten, gem of 90s monster schlock.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I'd like to see Arrow Video U.S. release Daiei's films Rainbow Man (1949) and The Whale God (1962) officially on Blu-ray so I can finish my 20th century Daiei tokusatsu Blu-ray collection (1949-1999).
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

This little anime gem from the 80's :

Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Kazuhiko Hasegawa's wild 1979 masterpiece The Man Who Stole the Sun (Written by Leonard Schrader and distributed by Toho) is surprisingly unavailable on Blu-Ray in Japan despite its critical acclaim (I've seen several sources list it as one of, if not THE best Japanese film of the 1970s). And of course, there are no releases in the West at all (Though the Region 2 DVD has English subtitles). It'd be ideal material for Arrow or even Criterion, but I'm guessing it'll need a Japanese BD release before any Western labels touch it.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:30 pm Kazuhiko Hasegawa's wild 1979 masterpiece The Man Who Stole the Sun (Written by Leonard Schrader and distributed by Toho) is surprisingly unavailable on Blu-Ray in Japan despite its critical acclaim (I've seen several sources list it as one of, if not THE best Japanese film of the 1970s). And of course, there are no releases in the West at all (Though the Region 2 DVD has English subtitles). It'd be ideal material for Arrow or even Criterion, but I'm guessing it'll need a Japanese BD release before any Western labels touch it.
I'm honestly more interested in this than some of the tokusatsu releases that have come along the last year. For those unfortunate enough not to have seen this film:

Because I've already mentioned the Ichikawa/Ishizaka Kindaichi series in this thread, I'll just add The Family Game as another well-regarded Japanese film I'd love to receive a western release (that's out in Japan at least). (Plus, there are still a number of Juzo Itami films that haven't been released yet... too many Japanese classics unavailable in HD here.)

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:05 am Both Dracula Dead and Loving It and Beavis and Butthead Do America are finally coming out on Blu-ray! About time!
Question: is Young Frankenstein available on Blu-ray also?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:52 am Question: is Young Frankenstein available on Blu-ray also?
Once again, Google it.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:32 pm(Plus, there are still a number of Juzo Itami films that haven't been released yet... too many Japanese classics unavailable in HD here.)
Most, if not all, of Itami's movies are streaming on Criterion Channel, so perhaps one day they could release a nice boxset. Thanks for reminding me that I need to check out the rest of his films (I've only seen Tampopo, which I of course loved).

We could be here all day if we go over all the Japanese movies on Criterion Channel that could use proper home video releases. And of course, there are those without even streaming releases.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:05 am
mikelcho wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:52 am Question: is Young Frankenstein available on Blu-ray also?
Once again, Google it.
I did and it is.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:57 pm
Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:32 pm(Plus, there are still a number of Juzo Itami films that haven't been released yet... too many Japanese classics unavailable in HD here.)
Most, if not all, of Itami's movies are streaming on Criterion Channel, so perhaps one day they could release a nice boxset. Thanks for reminding me that I need to check out the rest of his films (I've only seen Tampopo, which I of course loved).

We could be here all day if we go over all the Japanese movies on Criterion Channel that could use proper home video releases. And of course, there are those without even streaming releases.
There's a dozen filmmaker-focused box sets that I hope Criterion gets around to.

I do understand that the company had to balance the obscure with the more commercial, and has an enormous library of acquired stuff that'll take ages to get through.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Speaking of Japanese films, it's really annoying that the vintage Toei tokusatsu movies I'd like to nab are DVD-only: Prince of Space (which isn't even available on DVD until next month or something), Magic Serpent, Golden Bat, Terror Beneath the Sea, The Green Slime (the Chibikko Festival cut)... hell, I'd even be interested in Invasion of the Neptune Men on Blu-ray. Ditto ShinToho's Space Giant films, although I don't know what Japanese company owns those today.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.