Worst movie director of all time

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Who is the worst movie director of all time?

Uwe Boll
37%
Aaron Seltzer/Jason Friedberg
12%
Michael Bay
2%
Roland Emmerich
7%
M. Night Shyamalan
8%
Eli Roth
No votes
Tom Six
3%
Zack Snyder
2%
Paul W.S. Anderson
No votes
Other
29%

Total votes: 59

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Re: Worst movie director of all time

Post by Julia Bristow »

For me its M Night Salamander, outside of The Sixth Sense his films vary from meh to blech

Runners up (well for me anyway):

Roland Emmerich
Paul WS Anderson
Rob Cohen
Coleman Francis (director of Beast of Yucca Flats)
George Lucas
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Really? A "haha Shyamalan is a weird name" crack in 2019?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

So Coleman Francis is a better filmmaker than Shyamalan? :eh:
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:I'll say it: Gareth Edwards.

Uwe Boll and Friedman/Seltzer may have hashed out some stinkers, but a director who cranked out a woefully unentertaining filmography and yet still sees himself as some sort of auteur who can pull off posthumanist twists on Spielbergian tropes, is orders of magnitude worse.

Monsters failed to elicit any sense of tension or terror, and was about as visually stimulating as dryer lint.

G'14 had anemic action scenes and human characters that had the emotional depth of bath water, flaws which are further exemplified by the fact that KOTM fixed virtually all of its shortcoming and is exponentially better as a result.

Rogue One also suffered from piss-poor characterization, in addition to its plot moving at approximately the speed of a tectonic plate. Its only redeeming quality is a combined 4 minutes of one (arguably two) somewhat entertaining scenes.

The man can come up with cool ideas, but I could count on one hand the number of minutes of his combined films that can actually entertain me.
What an odd take
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Maybe I'm looking to deep into the question, but is it right to claim a terrible director simply because you didn't connect with their movies?
It's like if you ordered something at a restaurant that you didn't like. It doesn't mean the food was made poorly, it just means you would prefer something else.

That being said, George Lucas is a terrible director. ;)
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

The guys who directed AvP: Requiem.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

James Wong (not to be confused with James Wan - who is an awesome director).

Wong made the Final Destination series, Dragonball Evolution, and the Black Christmas remake with the incest rape scene & deformed child.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

James Wong ain't that bad. Sure his movies kinda suck but he's got a great and storied career in television.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:James Wong (not to be confused with James Wan - who is an awesome director).

Wong made the Final Destination series, Dragonball Evolution, and the Black Christmas remake with the incest rape scene & deformed child.
Glen Morgan directed the Black Christmas remake. He and Wong are frequent writing collaborators, but Wong only has one of the 15 or so producing credits on that particular movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Fish Cakes wrote:The guys who directed AvP: Requiem.
Fuck that movie :lol: Now that's some premium trash right there
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Michael Dougherty

Edit: bait acquired
Last edited by GoWhaleTours on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GO GO GOJI KUN

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

And this thread's officially the biggest fucking farce on the whole site.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

GoWhaleTours wrote:Michael Dougherty
Big disagree. As much as I think he did really REALLY bad at KotM, Trick 'r Treat and Krampus are both great movies imo. He's a good horror director from what I can tell.

Which is why it's weird to me they chose him for KotM. Pretty large scale for someone with history of doing more "close and personal" stuff with off-screen action. :?
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Nah,Michael ain't that bad. There's worse. Speaking of which,and this is somewhat off topic,but while i think Colin Trevorrow is a good director....anyone else think his writing skills are REALLY lacking? Fallen Kingdom may be one of the most poorly written dinosaur movies i've ever had to sit through.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

NSZ wrote:And this thread's officially the biggest fucking farce on the whole site.
Not as bad as someone saying Edwards was somehow THE WORST DIRECTOR OF ALL TIME :lol:
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

eabaker wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:James Wong (not to be confused with James Wan - who is an awesome director).

Glen Morgan directed the Black Christmas remake. He and Wong are frequent writing collaborators, but Wong only has one of the 15 or so producing credits on that particular movie.
I guess Glenn Morgan is the worst director then
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I guess Glenn Morgan is the worst director then
I haven't seen his Black Christmas remake (curiosity may get the best of me eventually, but the trailers and word of mouth have never been promising), but I thought his version of Willard was quite good.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

ScootaVaran wrote:Maybe I'm looking to deep into the question, but is it right to claim a terrible director simply because you didn't connect with their movies?
It's like if you ordered something at a restaurant that you didn't like. It doesn't mean the food was made poorly, it just means you would prefer something else.
Yeah, this thread is less "worst movie director of all time" and more "I saw a big budget tentpole movie I didn't like so the director sucks."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Fish Cakes wrote:Pretty large scale for someone with history of doing more "close and personal" stuff with off-screen action. :?
As I understand it, it’s increasingly commonplace for big-budget movies to be helmed by small-time directors (for better or for worse); before G14 aside from Monsters all Edwards had to his name seems to be TV credits, same with the Russo brothers, Rian Johnson, etc. As for why? I’ve heard some speculate studios hire small-time directors so that they’ll do what the studio wants or simply because “bigger” directors require bigger salaries, others that it’s a good way for small-time directors to “move up in the world,” so on and so on. As for why Dougherty specifically was selected, my guess is that it’s because he had seen some success as a director already, had some experience working with “big” films as a screenwriter (X2, Superman Returns), and if nothing else seems like a genuine fan who was enthusiastic to work on the film, so I can see why he seemed like a good idea. Overall I think he did okay, but I think a few more years of experience before he had helmed a Godzilla film might have helped immensely.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

G2000 wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:Pretty large scale for someone with history of doing more "close and personal" stuff with off-screen action. :?
As I understand it, it’s increasingly commonplace for big-budget movies to be helmed by small-time directors (for better or for worse); before G14 aside from Monsters all Edwards had to his name seems to be TV credits, same with the Russo brothers, Rian Johnson, etc. As for why? I’ve heard some speculate studios hire small-time directors so that they’ll do what the studio wants or simply because “bigger” directors require bigger salaries, others that it’s a good way for small-time directors to “move up in the world,” so on and so on. As for why Dougherty specifically was selected, my guess is that it’s because he had seen some success as a director already, had some experience working with “big” films as a screenwriter (X2, Superman Returns), and if nothing else seems like a genuine fan who was enthusiastic to work on the film, so I can see why he seemed like a good idea. Overall I think he did okay, but I think a few more years of experience before he had helmed a Godzilla film might have helped immensely.
I wasn't speaking for budget, I was saying the literal size of what the movie was about. Kaiju are big, there's going to be big scenes, shots, moments, lots of on-screen action, and there should be some compelling characters. Stuff like that.

He made a couple of (really good) campy holiday-themed horror movies with off-screen deaths.