Movies or TV shows you want to see happen?

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Movies or TV shows you want to see happen?

Post by Chrispy_G »

Vakanai wrote:A superhero vs kaiju movie where the superhero neither grows large like Ultraman or pilots a mecha like Power Rangers. Something like a Superman or Wonder Woman or Batman or Spider-Man type hero having to stop a giant monster like a Godzilla, Kong, Gamera, Gorgo, Gappa, etc type monster.
It is absolutely a dynamic I would love to see.....we get little tiny snippets of how awesome something like that could be.

Hellboy faced a big monster(not Godzilla sized) at the end of Del Toro's first Hellboy. It was a rather brief battle. He faced a larger(but not quite Godzilla sized) monster for a sequence in the 2nd Hellboy.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children had a cool sequence where they battled a large creature(I forget what those things were called) and it had a lot of fun with super-powered beings facing a large creature.

But yes, the imagery of a superhuman running up the arm/back/tail of just a huge beast to try and deliver a blow to its head....or a giant monster trying to step on someone like Superman, and watching him struggle to stop the foot from crushing him.

That type of sequence has never really been indulged in on film in a big way....and it would absolutely spice up the kind of battle we typically get in a superhero movie.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote:
Vakanai wrote:A superhero vs kaiju movie where the superhero neither grows large like Ultraman or pilots a mecha like Power Rangers. Something like a Superman or Wonder Woman or Batman or Spider-Man type hero having to stop a giant monster like a Godzilla, Kong, Gamera, Gorgo, Gappa, etc type monster.
Well just make a DC film that has Gigantic the giant ape be an antagonist. Boom!
I'd rather use the Artic Giant personally. Or Titano. Or both!
Also I can't just make a DC film.
Chrispy_G wrote:
It is absolutely a dynamic I would love to see.....we get little tiny snippets of how awesome something like that could be.

Hellboy faced a big monster(not Godzilla sized) at the end of Del Toro's first Hellboy. It was a rather brief battle. He faced a larger(but not quite Godzilla sized) monster for a sequence in the 2nd Hellboy.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children had a cool sequence where they battled a large creature(I forget what those things were called) and it had a lot of fun with super-powered beings facing a large creature.

But yes, the imagery of a superhuman running up the arm/back/tail of just a huge beast to try and deliver a blow to its head....or a giant monster trying to step on someone like Superman, and watching him struggle to stop the foot from crushing him.

That type of sequence has never really been indulged in on film in a big way....and it would absolutely spice up the kind of battle we typically get in a superhero movie.
Right? I would love for something like that to be the focal battle of some special effects extravaganza. Closest we've ever seen to it I think was the Rock in Rampage, and still just not the same. A human sized superhero vs an actual kaiju would be something we're not used to seeing and could have some really one of a kind visuals.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Chrispy_G wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:A Mortal Kombat HBO series.

More good Dinosaur movies from Hollywood other than Jurassic Park/World

An Animated Power Rangers series that incorporates elements of the franchise's original Japanese source material

A modern-day live-action Hollywood Superman film that succeeds both critically and financially

A film that gives photorealistic CGI (i.e the Final Fantasy movies) a second chance

A animated Godzilla series done by Genndy Tartakovsky
I like the sound of all of those!

----It is a weird oddity that the Jurassic films basically monopolized the dinosaur genre. You either get the Jurassic films, or you get straight to DVD/TV cheap-o knock-off movies...or the odd King Kong or Land of the Lost or Journey to the Center of the Earth, pot-shot stuff. An A-list blockbuster that is an outright Dinosaur movie that was fresh and cool and had the dinosaurs as the central plot point....we pretty much never get them.

-----I feel like the 2017 Power Rangers, all things considered, did QUITE a good job at turning the "Live action cartoon" style of the property into something that worked quite well as a 'real movie' for what it was made for. I think the suits were a little 'over-designed' and could have gone for a more pure and simple, faithful type of design. It was always an uphill battle....and doing it as some sort of animation/anime could be a great way to execute that tone and bridge it into something that works even better.

Very interested in seeing where the Hasbro reboot goes. I hope they don't muck it up. You've got all kinds of commercial opportunities. Young attractive leads, monsters, robots, cool armor.

-----I have been dying for something to be the "Next Beowulf" SINCE the first Beowulf came out. That movie was very visually engaging. It has been 13 years since that film...another film trying to do what that film did could be a visual marvel. We've had amazingly impressive CGI in Avatar and the Planet of the Apes films since then, but nothing in the all-CGI realm. I can't wait to see the giant leaps made in Avatar 2 next year.

I sincerely think that long-term, superhero, fantasy, and sci-fi films will be more effective to be done in that all-CGI style. I think 10-20 years down the road when The Lord of the Rings is re-adapted...the Beowulf style is the way to go. You cut out global productions, you cut out all of the physical production...you aren't worrying about scale and forced perspective, models, sets, etc....I mean, LOTR was made in a realm where a lot of practical effects and solutions were incorporated with CGI. The Hobbit Trilogy pretty much felt like the entire thing was CGI except for the actors.

You look at a film like Endgame, and darn-near the whole thing is CGI EXCEPT the cast. Sections that you never thought were all green-screen ARE all green-screen. Heck, even multiple main characters(Rocket, Hulk, Thanos) are completely CGI. So...it is not much of a leap beyond that to just 'do it all in the computer' from there.

It honestly would save a lot. In a world where "star power" almost isn't even a thing any more, you don't need to pay RDJ a huge paycheck and give him a massive slice of the revenue. You can hire an excellent voice actor or any affordable talent...and then design the character however you want. Even if the character is re-cast, in a CGI world the character can continue to look EXACTLY the same, and simply be voiced/performed by a new actor...so even 're-casting' isn't as detrimental.

No more actors or actresses who have to 'look the part' and have the perfect superhero physique. Things like age, race, height, fitness....all of that are irrelevant in an all CGI world. Every character can be an absolute image of physical perfection, looking like they came right off the page.

----Genndy Tartakovksy tackling ANYTHING Kaiju related, Godzilla, Gamera or otherwise....2D or 3D animation, film or series, would be amazing. He would hit it out of the park.

Do you have anything to say about my pitch for a MK series on HBO? How would you handle such a project? I have it last 4 seasons and base it around MK 1-4. It will end with Liu Kang
Spoiler:
being reborn as a Fire God like how he was in MK11
and facing off against Shinnok.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

LegendZilla wrote:Do you have anything to say about my pitch for a MK series on HBO? How would you handle such a project? I have it last 4 seasons and base it around MK 1-4. It will end with Liu Kang
Spoiler:
being reborn as a Fire God like how he was in MK11
and facing off against Shinnok.
I am not a lore master of MK. I played several of the games over the years casually. I remember being quite blown away by the opening of V where that certain important character was killed.

I do love the idea of an HBO series. For me, if you want anything long form and R-rated that is NOT of an insane budget...then HBO is the way to go. Still, even Game of Thrones proved that you can reach and evolve into a 'blockbuster' level of production value over time.

I think HBO would be a great home for Mortal Kombat. R rated, ensemble, a touch of fantasy but not necessarily super buckwild(at least not right off the bat) budget wise. Plenty of room to potentially kill off major characters and evolve the focus.

Heck, the more I think about the more it does come off as a bit Game of Thrones-y. Although obviously not nearly AS complex or grandiose in terms of the narrative.

I think it would be an easy sell.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Based on a What-If scenario of mine on AlternateHistory Forums.

A TV show where scientists discovers a hole in the South Pole that has various caves that leads to pocket dimensions of every period on earth with every species that ever lived in those eras.

Hadean, Archean, Pre-Cambrian, Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, Pliocene and Pleistocene.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Based on a What-If scenario of mine on AlternateHistory Forums.

A TV show where scientists discovers a hole in the South Pole that has various caves that leads to pocket dimensions of every period on earth with every species that ever lived in those eras.

Hadean, Archean, Pre-Cambrian, Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, Pliocene and Pleistocene.
Hm... add a another hole that leads to the future and i think we got something.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I know I've been burnt out by superhero films but skreeonk it. Give me this as a film!

Being a Canadian myself. I just love this idea of our version of Captain America! :D

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Chrispy_G wrote:

I think the closest we've ever gotten is the Dragonball Z movie Wrath of the Dragon. Of course there's a couple episodes of Superman TAS with Titano and the Prometheon and the two Justice League Unlimited episodes that also feature giant monsters. Season 1, Episode 1 and the Gamera inspired opening sequence in Season 3, Episode 3. So its been done before but never in long format.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:

I think the closest we've ever gotten is the Dragonball Z movie Wrath of the Dragon. Of course there's a couple episodes of Superman TAS with Titano and the Prometheon and the two Justice League Unlimited episodes that also feature giant monsters. Season 1, Episode 1 and the Gamera inspired opening sequence in Season 3, Episode 3. So its been done before but never in long format.
Yeah, just short animated episodes and such. I would love something more substantial, either live action or animated. There was that Batman Unlimited: Mechs vs Mutants movie, but it kind of turned into a Pacific Rim scenario with the giant mecha.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

A Halo movie with Scarlett Johansson cast as Cortana.

It might be a little too 'hip', but frankly, screw it....Keanu Reeves for the voice of Master Chief.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Chrispy_G wrote:A Halo movie with Scarlett Johansson cast as Cortana.

It might be a little too 'hip', but frankly, screw it....Keanu Reeves for the voice of Master Chief.
Those are pretty awful choices, not gonna lie. Okay, maybe ScarJo's not too bad (I like her as an actress) but...eh, I don't see it.

Steve Downes is Master Chief. Nobody else until he retires.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:A Halo movie with Scarlett Johansson cast as Cortana.

Those are pretty awful choices, not gonna lie. Okay, maybe ScarJo's not too bad (I like her as an actress) but...eh, I don't see it.

Steve Downes is Master Chief. Nobody else until he retires.
Yeah, I am just assuming there is no way a studio would go for the voice performers from the game. I would be all up for Downes and Taylor, I just don't think it would be 'allowed'

I think Scarjo is perfect. She has great versatility from Black Widow to Ghost in the Shell, Jojo Rabbit, Marriage Story...and on top of that, her voicework is hypnotic. Jungle Book and Her prove that in spades.

I think she would crush it. She can be smart, sexy, witty, sort of mysterious, playful...basically everything Cortana needs. She's done voice only roles and roles where she was in some way artificial or robotic. That one is a slam dunk in my book.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If Michael Bay can keep Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime due to fan demand, Steve can still be Chief for a hypothetical movie.

I mean, I guess I can see it now (and I certainly wouldn't mind her) but I guess that's just because I've been so used to Jen Taylor that it's hard to imagine anyone else as Cortana.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

And that is fair....certainly using the established performers would by my first choice.

But if we HAD to go "Hollywood" with it, I think Johansson is practically tailor made to play the kind of character that Cortana is.

For Reeves I was just throwing something against the wall because Reeves is cool, and stoic, and I like the resurgence he's been enjoying. I wouldn't try to sell him for John nearly as hard as I would say that ScarJo would made a great Cortana/Halsey.

Fun fact...I believe Cortana was initially scripted to be British which is why she had lines like "Sod off!" in the original game. I always liked the concept of Halsey being British, and while Cortana is a 'clone' of her, I liked the idea of the accent being lost in translation.

So you could hypothetically get a British Halsey in the film, but Cortana would have an American accent, but then still carry some of the British terminology and slang.

That's just a thought. I used to keep a big binder of "Halo notes" for how I would turn it into a movie :P

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

This is a cartoon idea of mine I've had for a while now. Definitely feels like it could be CN (Cartoon Network) and if I could I'd pitch the idea to them.

An action buddy cop series about two best friends a saltwater crocodile and a great white shark investigating crimes throughout the city. Notable supportive characters would be their friendly rivals who also works in the same police department a Nile crocodile and tiger shark.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Gigantis wrote:
Well just make a DC film that has Gigantic the giant ape be an antagonist. Boom!
I think you mean Titano the Super-Ape.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote:I think you mean Titano the Super-Ape.

I kinda meant Gigantic from that old Fleischer Bros. Superman cartoon, but Titano works too.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gigantis wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I think you mean Titano the Super-Ape.

I kinda meant Gigantic from that old Fleischer Bros. Superman cartoon, but Titano works too.
I'm pretty sure the Fleischer gorilla was Titano.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

After seeing this.

Adult Swim needs to get the rights to make a Gamera animated series with this Primal-like animation. The Gamera franchise is already pretty brutal when compared to Godzilla.

Blinder16
Ronin

Post by Blinder16 »

A kaiju movie set in the USSR or another East Bloc country, with massive military force being used to tackle the monster. Basically, a Godzilla x Red Alert crossover.