Scariest Movies You've Ever Seen?

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Scariest Movies You've Ever Seen?

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote:*Phase IV (1973).
This movie is really under-recognized. I don't understand why, in film circles, its significance as the one film ever directed by Saul Bass doesn't make more people seek it out (especially as he bring so much of his recognizable visual sensibility to the way the ants' movements are photographed).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

If I'm gonna be completely honest, I don't get scared by movies anymore. However, when I was young, the first Silent Hill movie scared the shit out of me. Pyramid Head walking around tearing skin off of people and the Grey Children attacking Rose freaked me the out big time. I also saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre a few months back for the first time and that greatly disturbed me. It felt like I was watching a snuff film of sorts towards the end. House of 1000 Corpses felt the same way and left me with a sense of dread, but Tobe Hooper did it way better.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Monster Zero wrote:I also saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre a few months back for the first time and that greatly disturbed me. It felt like I was watching a snuff film of sorts towards the end.
One of the things that fascinates me about TCM is that Hooper and cinematographer Daniel Pearl were able to create that sensation despite taking such a formalist approach. Usually, when modern filmmakers want their work to have that kind of intense and immediate feeling, they try to achieve it with handheld camera work and longer takes; TCM uses the language of cinema more fully and trusts that it will draw the audience in.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

eabaker wrote:
Monster Zero wrote:I also saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre a few months back for the first time and that greatly disturbed me. It felt like I was watching a snuff film of sorts towards the end.
One of the things that fascinates me about TCM is that Hooper and cinematographer Daniel Pearl were able to create that sensation despite taking such a formalist approach. Usually, when modern filmmakers want their work to have that kind of intense and immediate feeling, they try to achieve it with handheld camera work and longer takes; TCM uses the language of cinema more fully and trusts that it will draw the audience in.
Absolutely. I realized this as well. And I love that abrupt ending of the film. When All you see is Leatherface dancing with the saw and it immediately cuts to black. Man, that'll stick with me forever.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I also love how little explicit gore there is in the original TCM. Sure, there’s some brutal stuff (the mallet to the head always gets me...it’s the twitch afterwards, I think), but it never goes overboard with it. The sequels neglect any sort of restraint in that regard, but they at least have the talent of guys like Nicotero, so the gore at least looks good. The original terrifies with very little though, and I think that says a lot about Hooper and co.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Messiah of Evil (1973), I found this creepy movie in one of those 50 movie packs, watched very late at night while on holiday on a portable DVD player. So I ended stay up that night, because of the idea of people slowly coming out of paintings is quite freaky to me.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Not really movies, but these definitely scared the hell out of me:

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

space godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by space godzilla »

The "They're Creeping up on You" segment of Creepshow is definitely mine. I only watched it once about 9 years ago, and I refuse to watch it again.

It actually scared me so much it gave me a fear of roaches.
Against all the evil that Hell can conjure, all the wickedness that mankind can produce, we will send unto them... only you. Rip and tear, until it is done. - King Novik, DOOM Eternal

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

space godzilla wrote: It actually scared me so much it gave me a fear of roaches.
I have a fear of them as well.......but for me it was the time I poured myself a bowl of cereal and out came the biggest one ever recorded.....it was as big as the damn box...then it flew toward my face, true story. I havent been right ever since.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

goji89 wrote:
space godzilla wrote: It actually scared me so much it gave me a fear of roaches.
I have a fear of them as well.......but for me it was the time I poured myself a bowl of cereal and out came the biggest one ever recorded.....it was as big as the damn box...then it flew toward my face, true story. I havent been right ever since.
Quick! Somebody preserve this post for biographical purposes!
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Cliche answer but no movie has ever made me feel completely shocked after watching it like Texas Chainsaw Massacre did on my first viewing.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Sex and the City 2. :lol:

Joking aside, I would have to say the 2017 remake of IT. Sure there are scarier films out there, but I haven't got around to watching them yet.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Quick! Somebody preserve this post for biographical purposes!
Damn it! You know too much Daws........Im gonna have to hire a hitman to take you out.

Now if you kindly PM your address for uh, I have a book you just have to read, I promise its good.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Most horror movies aren't scary. Gross and disturbing maybe but that doesn't equate to being scary in my book.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Saw 2 freaked me the hell out. Not because of any of the violence, but just that puppet. That freaking puppet.

Other than that, maybe Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me? It's not scary in the traditional sense, there is nothing that jumps out of you - but it leaves an impression of deep, deep disturbia.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:.

Other than that, maybe Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me? It's not scary in the traditional sense, there is nothing that jumps out of you - but it leaves an impression of deep, deep disturbia.
Ah, a man of taste I see.

This isn't sarcasm; I'm a die-hard Lynch fan.
Last edited by Maritonic on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Tourist Trap is one of the freakiest films I've ever seen. The poster alone is scary enough.

The cold black pits were the eyes and month should be is really a creepy image. I'm surprised that this film isn't talked about more, Chuck Connors is terrifying in this. If you are not scared of mannequins, this will change your mind.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I was so let down by Tourist Trap. I'm a fan of Full Moon Features, and also think the poster and killer designs are really freaky, but felt the film was really rather dull.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:.

Ah, a man of taste I see.

This isn't sarcasm; I'm a die-hard Lynch fan.
Oh, I know. I want to get more into Lynch. But I was so personally hurt by the ending of TP season 3 that I’m not sure I forgive him yet.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Maybe its because of my Catholic upbringing, but the only movie that ever legitimately gave me the willies was The Exorcist.

Sure its been knocked off a billion times, but there was something so visceral and real about that one that set it apart from all its imitators, and Linda Blair in that makeup will always haunt my dreams.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.