The Star Trek Thread (All TV & Movies)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Anonziller
Samurai

Re: The Star Trek Thread (Including Discovery)

Post by Anonziller »

Babylon 5 > Star Trek

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I finished the Kelvinverse movies yesterday, meaning I’ve watched literally every single incarnation and iteration of Star Trek, from TOS, to TAS, to Voyager, all the movies etc...
Nice. What's next for you? Do you plan on reading any books?

I'm waiting to finish TOS series before i touch the Kelvin movies. I don't want my first impression of the series to be a reboot with different actors.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

It looks like making a Star Trek movie is harder then we think.

Added in 24 days 18 hours 47 minutes 24 seconds:
Re: The Star Trek Thread (Incl Discovery, Picard)
It looks like Picard is a failure.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Rhedosaurus wrote: It looks like Picard is a failure.
I’m not watching that video. Failure in what regard? Critical consensus is favorable and it’s been renewed for season 2.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Terasawa wrote:
I’m not watching that video. Failure in what regard? Critical consensus is favorable and it’s been renewed for season 2.
In pointlessly dividing the franchise. Besides, it's only a matter of time before the ratings really go downhill. Look at STD.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
Clickbaity and fake outrage is unfortunately the norm. There's all these channels that claim to be fans of X or Y (comics especially) but do nothing but complain about it. Not saying you can't complain about something you like (I do it all the time) but just based on the thumbnail it's clear what it's trying to do.

I've seen all of Picard. I think it's ALRIGHT, probably better than Discovery. I liked some of the side characters (Raffy) and hated Elnor. There were a few neat things here and there.

It's no TOS or Ds9 but it's fine. There's a lot of weird continuity errors between series, and things don't make sense, but at the same time you can say the same thing for TOS to TNG.

I dislike this fake modern outrage culture that Youtube has produced. People can't say something was ALRIGHT or decent anymore. It's either fantastic, or a complete pile of shit.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Clickbaity and fake outrage is unfortunately the norm. There's all these channels that claim to be fans of X or Y (comics especially) but do nothing but complain about it. Not saying you can't complain about something you like (I do it all the time) but just based on the thumbnail it's clear what it's trying to do.

I dislike this fake modern outrage culture that Youtube has produced. People can't say something was ALRIGHT or decent anymore. It's either fantastic, or a complete pile of shit.
I agree with you (although this "culture" was prevalent before YouTube), but the main reason I didn't watch it was because of the bullshit channel that produced the video. They promise "spin-free news and analysis;" their second playlist is titled "toxic femininity" (lol) so I assumed it was just a bunch of male conservatives angry that their white male reality has begun to disappear from mainstream entertainment properties.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:a bunch of male conservatives angry that their white male reality has begun to disappear from mainstream entertainment properties.
Not even disappearing, just becoming incrementally less dominant.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:
Terasawa wrote:a bunch of male conservatives angry that their white male reality has begun to disappear from mainstream entertainment properties.
Not even disappearing, just becoming incrementally less dominant.
Don't even get me started on The Last Jedi! :evil:

;)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Clickbaity and fake outrage is unfortunately the norm. There's all these channels that claim to be fans of X or Y (comics especially) but do nothing but complain about it. Not saying you can't complain about something you like (I do it all the time) but just based on the thumbnail it's clear what it's trying to do.

I've seen all of Picard. I think it's ALRIGHT, probably better than Discovery. I liked some of the side characters (Raffy) and hated Elnor. There were a few neat things here and there.

It's no TOS or Ds9 but it's fine. There's a lot of weird continuity errors between series, and things don't make sense, but at the same time you can say the same thing for TOS to TNG.

I dislike this fake modern outrage culture that Youtube has produced. People can't say something was ALRIGHT or decent anymore. It's either fantastic, or a complete pile of poop.
Midnight's Edge has covered Fant4stic, GB 2016, SW, ST, and the downfall of the Synderverse for sometime now. In fact, they are actually the most well respected movie/media channels on You Tube.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Anybody can cover any or all of those properties: so what, what does that have to do with anything in LSD's post that you quoted? I'm interested in your source for the claim that it's "the most well respected" (by whom?) channel of its type.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rhedosaurus wrote:they are actually the most well respected movie/media channels on You Tube.
Well, that's some real "World's Tallest Midget" cred right there...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Anonziller wrote:Babylon 5 > Star Trek

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

ROMG4 wrote:
Anonziller wrote:Babylon 5 > Star Trek
[youtube video]
B5 had an interesting and complex story but on the whole I was never impressed with it. It was a project that, as a TV series, was too far ahead of its time. It would be perfect for modern TV because there would be a lot less filler and presumably more support from the network.

But IMO DS9 grew into a better series than B5.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Rhedosaurus wrote: Midnight's Edge has covered Fant4stic, GB 2016, SW, ST, and the downfall of the Synderverse for sometime now. In fact, they are actually the most well respected movie/media channels on You Tube.
I have never heard of him before reading this randomly scrolling though here.

I also decided to see if this is true and basically every response I've heard is 20% people already fan of his, 30% people accusing him of being biased. and 50% people genuinely asking who he is.

So in other words, this is bullshit and stop making someone you like sound better so posting one of his videos instead of making your own opinion.

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:instead of making your own opinion.
Semi-related but it bugs me when people blindly listen to the beliefs of Mike from RLM, for Star Trek and other things. I like RLM a lot, and I actually do generally agree with many things they say. However, I don't like it when youtube channels and other people, suddenly become the prime directive (heh) of how or what people should think of media. IE, I agree with their overall sentiment that Picard doesn't feel like TNG, both in how it's presented and characters are portrayed, but I don't think it needs to be and there was some enjoyable stuff.

I enjoy listening to RLM's OPINIONS on the topics as it's useful and fun to hear other peoples thoughts on it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

eabaker wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:they are actually the most well respected movie/media channels on You Tube.
Well, that's some real "World's Tallest Midget" cred right there...
Terasawa wrote:Anybody can cover any or all of those properties: so what, what does that have to do with anything in LSD's post that you quoted? I'm interested in your source for the claim that it's "the most well respected" (by whom?) channel of its type.

They have done quite a bit of interviews with some big names.

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote: Midnight's Edge has covered Fant4stic, GB 2016, SW, ST, and the downfall of the Synderverse for sometime now. In fact, they are actually the most well respected movie/media channels on You Tube.
I have never heard of him before reading this randomly scrolling though here.

I also decided to see if this is true and basically every response I've heard is 20% people already fan of his, 30% people accusing him of being biased. and 50% people genuinely asking who he is.

So in other words, this is bullshit and stop making someone you like sound better so posting one of his videos instead of making your own opinion.
You say that as if I didn't have one already, which I surely do.

SoggyNoodles2016

You probably do, but I've noticed a lot of people would rather just post a video that explains their view then actually discuss and it skeeves me off.

Also, most people do it because they have no opinion imo, but I've read more of your posts, and you clearly do, so apologies about that

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:You probably do, but I've noticed a lot of people would rather just post a video that explains their view then actually discuss and it skeeves me off.

Also, most people do it because they have no opinion imo, but I've read more of your posts, and you clearly do, so apologies about that
If you’ve seen it or Discovery what do you think of them?

SoggyNoodles2016

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:You probably do, but I've noticed a lot of people would rather just post a video that explains their view then actually discuss and it skeeves me off.

If you’ve seen it or Discovery what do you think of them?
Ehhhhh, I didn't watch a lot of Discovery and haven't seen Picard (partially do to only being interested in CBS All Access for Twilight Zone, partially because I want to watch most of OG Trek before getting into new stuff) but in general, they're very well made but I'm not a fan of the tone. Star Trek has always been really optimistic Sci fi that has dangers but is mostly chill, the All Access stuff feels too gritty and edgy for me.
It's still very well made though and it totally has merit, just not really my thing preference wise.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.