DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:13 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:24 am
miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:19 pm Netflix is going to be scooping up the Monsterverse rights lol.
That's nowhere near as big of a get for the service as DC would be.
Besides, Netflix already has the anime movie trilogy and the anime tv series licensed. If Netflix really wanted to, I bet they could swing going in with Toho on producing their own live action Godzilla film/s separate from the Monsterverse. I mean, I don't know how the deal with Legendary works, regarding letting other studios have live action licenses or whatever, but if it's possible at all or if there's any loophole or workaround? I could see Netflix getting their own live action Goji to compete with MV.
No one else in America is doing live action Godzilla films without Legendary involved.

Netflix could dub Toho films but that would be about it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:34 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:24 am

That's nowhere near as big of a get for the service as DC would be.
Besides, Netflix already has the anime movie trilogy and the anime tv series licensed. If Netflix really wanted to, I bet they could swing going in with Toho on producing their own live action Godzilla film/s separate from the Monsterverse. I mean, I don't know how the deal with Legendary works, regarding letting other studios have live action licenses or whatever, but if it's possible at all or if there's any loophole or workaround? I could see Netflix getting their own live action Goji to compete with MV.
No one else in America is doing live action Godzilla films without Legendary involved.

So they just gotta make it in the UK or something then?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:27 pm

That's a gray area but I'm sure Legendary and Toho will be the only game in town.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:25 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:27 pm

That's a gray area but I'm sure Legendary and Toho will be the only game in town.
Then make mine Toho please!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well The Suicide Squad is getting rave reviews. Isn't it like 99% on Rotton Tomatoes or something like that. I mean it's James Gunn, critics love him so its not a huge surprise. Seems DC may finally have another winner on its hands.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I haven't wanted to see a DC film in a decade, but The Suicide Squad looks great.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Michale B Jordan will be doing a Black Superman project about Val Zod but it sounds like the Black Clark Kent with JJ Abrams is a separate project.

https://screencrush.com/michael-b-jorda ... n-hbo-max/

10x more excited for this project.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:39 pm Well The Suicide Squad is getting rave reviews. Isn't it like 99% on Rotton Tomatoes or something like that. I mean it's James Gunn, critics love him so its not a huge surprise. Seems DC may finally have another winner on its hands.
I mean, "finally" seems a bit unfair - they had a billion dollar movie in 2018 with Aquaman, and a billion dollar movie in 2019 with Joker. So basically 2020's BOP and WW2 are their recent not-successes.

Added in 1 minute 54 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:39 pm Michale B Jordan will be doing a Black Superman project about Val Zod but it sounds like the Black Clark Kent with JJ Abrams is a separate project.

https://screencrush.com/michael-b-jorda ... n-hbo-max/

10x more excited for this project.
Yeah, I have literally 0% interest in the Abrams/Coates project, but MBJ's Val Zod series has my attention.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Nah, BOP made 200 million on a budget of 80 million. Might not have been a big box office hit but it did make back it's budget enough to count as a success
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Eh I don't really count Joker. 2018 is awhile ago now, I had Aquaman in mind when I said "another hit". Guess I should have mentioned that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:12 am Nah, BOP made 200 million on a budget of 80 million. Might not have been a big box office hit but it did make back it's budget enough to count as a success
That's good, but it still didn't make as much as WB wanted - they nixed the Gotham City Sirens and BOP vs GCS that was planned to follow.

Added in 26 seconds:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:05 am Eh I don't really count Joker. 2018 is awhile ago now, I had Aquaman in mind when I said "another hit". Guess I should have mentioned that.
You don't? WB/DC certainly count it, I think most people count it. Unless you mean DCEU movies only instead of just DC, but that really is going to make counting their successes harder in the future - The Batman is going to be pretty successful I imagine and will be outside the DCEU. The black Superman reboot is apparently going to be a period piece film outside the DCEU like Joker was. DC's clearly looking into doing a mix of shared and not shared continuity movies going forward.

And as SoggyNoodles said, it might not have been a hit but but BOP was successful (I really liked that movie, but usually when I've seen it discussed on fan sites people complain about it).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So reading the article Michele B Jordan agreed to do Val Zod as he felt a Black Clark Kent would be tone death and is insualting to other black characters that already exist.

WB could have had MoS 2 ready to go with Henry Cavil and done Calvi Ellis with JJ Abrams. If the stroy was good no one cares if a character has a different name.

WB basically in their attempt to be inclusive said Val Zod and Calvin Ellis don't have intreasting stories.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:54 am So reading the article Michele B Jordan agreed to do Val Zod as he felt a Black Clark Kent would be tone death and is insualting to other black characters that already exist.

WB could have had MoS 2 ready to go with Henry Cavil and done Calvi Ellis with JJ Abrams. If the stroy was good no one cares if a character has a different name.

WB basically in their attempt to be inclusive said Val Zod and Calvin Ellis don't have intreasting stories.
Pretty much yeah. MBJ wanted to do Val Zod but main WB film heads axed that idea because for them it was race bend Clark or bust, so HBO Max swooped in to get MBJ for Val Zod and now everyone's focused on that as what WB should've done to begin with. I'm still hoping they realize this and change their Superman project to be Calvin while it's still in the script stage and can be course corrected. If we could get Val and Calvin? That'd be freaking awesome.

As for MoS 2 with Cavill, I'm doubtful it will ever happen, but rumor is he's got a cameo at least in the Flash movie. Someone who leaked a pic of Ezra in the new Flash costume claims that Cavill as Superman was there on set. Normally I'd be more skeptical, but the Flash picture helps. Still would've preferred a pic of Cavill in costume as proof. And of course Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson keeps saying he wants to fight Cavill's Superman, so these two things together gives some hope that a MoS 2 might still happen. Again, I doubt it will, but it has better odds now it seems than it has since 2017.

Dream would be to have Cavill's Clark, MBJ's Val, and someone as Calvin in a Supermen movie...hell, maybe they could even throw in a Gods and Monsters styled Hernan Guerra Superman while they're at it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Why can't Clark Kent be black?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:58 am Why can't Clark Kent be black?
It's clearly not that he can't, because he is 100% going to be. It's that I and a lot of other fans don't want him to be. I also wouldn't want Blade or Black Panther to be white. Some of us just don't like race bending and want characters to look like they do in the source material. It's really no deeper or more complex than that really. There's actual black versions of Superman and I'd rather see them than a black Clark. But WB have made up their mind and whether someone likes it or not (and I don't) we're getting a black Clark Kent.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

I think you could do that, but I think a better example of this done right is Miles Morales. He IS Spider-Man, still embodies the core concept of what makes Spider-Man special but isn't simply Peter Parker. I think this is what MBJ is referencing. You don't need Clare Kent, the person, for you to have Superman. You just need a character that questions their home versus heritage, is from Krypton and someone with unfathomable strength yet the courage to restrain himself. Nail those things, and it doesn't matter who plays the title character or what their name is.

They will be a Superman.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Because Clark Kent has been a white guy who grew up in Kentucky for nearly 100 years and there are two already existing Black Supermen you could tell a story with.

Calvin Ellis has to struggle with not using his Super or Presidential powers to get rid of white racist for example.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:26 am
Because Clark Kent has been a white guy who grew up in Kentucky for nearly 100 years

And?

Mary Jane Watson was conceived as a white girl 56 years ago and I don't see this issue with Zendaya's MJ. Same with Alicia Masters being black in the 2005 movie despite being white since 1962. How about Billy Dee Williams playing Harvey Dent in Batman (1989)? Isn't that one of the most requested actors to be brought back to be Two-Face? Isn't that invalid because he was written as a white guy? Or the Deadpool movies making Blind Al and Domino black? Should that be retconned now that it's in the MCU?

Or is it possible this doesn't matter and it matters how the character is written?
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:37 am Or is it possible this doesn't matter and it matters how the character is written?
Its always down to how a character is written and it can be done. its just extremely difficult to overcome pre-existing walls the character is placed in.

When I think of this, I look to Mr. Freeze. Before the animated series, he was a wacky ice themed thief, but that show redefined the character so thoroughly no one looks back to the original source material anymore.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I still believe we should have some red heads in these films, and I am shocked that they are being consistently switched out.

The red headed girl who hit trending during the whole final 4 actresses for Batgirl trend, should've definitely had the role. It'd be a real shame if she's never used for the character down the line. Perfect casting.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira