DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by miguelnuva »

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/rfBAqauWxzs[/YouTube]

Patton Oswald described Superman best to me.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm Except Evil Superman works. Can't just gloss over entire pieces of active fandom for the sake of making us seem smaller and more insignificant in comparison to some boogeyman "majority".

He shouldn't always be evil, but no one can deny he works perfectly as a villain.
I mean, Batman can work as a villain. Wonder Woman can work as a villain. Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, all can work as villains in some alternate reality tale, sure. Doesn't mean it should happen or be pursued at all. There's nothing about Superman that works better as a villain compared to any hero. Why should he be made into a villain? He's a hero. He works best as a hero. And he's had to play the villain more than enough lately.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm Except Evil Superman works. Can't just gloss over entire pieces of active fandom for the sake of making us seem smaller and more insignificant in comparison to some boogeyman "majority".

He shouldn't always be evil, but no one can deny he works perfectly as a villain.

He works when he's used every now and then to show the bad side of his heroism, he doesn't work when in the past 8 years, we have gotten 6 examples of evil Superman, 2 examples of expies who are evil Superman, and a company controlling the property who has admitted they don't know how to make the character interesting as is and have all but confirmed that they will likely always be doing evil Superman.

This has nothing to do with no one liking it, people do, or that it can't work because it can!, it's I'd like the character I love to be portrayed as he NORMALLY is, not always as the alternative.

Also, last I checked, no one said anything about a minority or a majority. We were just expressing our distaste with where lazy WB was taking the character in our own opinions.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Favourite is still Shazam. I don’t care for any other film.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Voyager wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:38 am Favourite is still Shazam. I don’t care for any other film.
Ditto here, closest is the first Wonder Woman but even then I think it's ok but overrated at best.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:29 am
Voyager wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:38 am Favourite is still Shazam. I don’t care for any other film.
Ditto here, closest is the first Wonder Woman but even then I think it's ok but overrated at best.
Add me to the list. Shazam was super fun and kept me pretty invested. The other DCEU movies however ranged from “It’s okay” to “Man, I don’t like this” pretty quickly.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Shazam was incredibly cringey and childish for me personally. The parts with Billy were good but everything else felt like a Spy Kids parody.

The third act was incredibly hokey, the villain was lex luthor if he was in a Disney Original. It felt incredibly one note.

I need my superheros with a bit more substance and a bit less "ha ha ha its so much fun stopping the world's problems one murderous villain at a time"
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

As it personally stands both Shazam! and Joker are my favorite DC films as of current. The Suicide Squad of this year has the potential to be up there too. Same with the upcoming Shazam sequel, Matt Reeve's Batman, and Black Adam.

Honestly I should get around to watching the Christopher Reeves Superman and Tim Burton Batman movies to see how they hold up to Shazam and Joker.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

My favorite DC films are The Dark Knight and Joker, my favorite DCEU films are Wonder Woman and Birds of Prey.

Added in 29 seconds:
Also, I am super mega hyped for The Batman.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

As fun as The Suicide Squad looks, as fun as The Guardians of the Galaxy are, my favorite James Gunn film will likely always be Super.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:08 am As it personally stands both Shazam! and Joker are my favorite DC films as of current. The Suicide Squad of this year has the potential to be up there too. Same with the upcoming Shazam sequel, Matt Reeve's Batman, and Black Adam.

Honestly I should get around to watching the Christopher Reeves Superman and Tim Burton Batman movies to see how they hold up to Shazam and Joker.
I thought Shazam was just fine tbh. A good, fun movie that I probably won't watch again. Don't get the mass hype it gets.

Which still puts it in the upper echelon of the DCEU.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Do any of you mind if I state how I would re-imaging of Superman, in other words, a "Shin" version of the character? In his 1938 comic debut, The Man of Steel did not have most of his familiar abilities most associate him with such as flight and heat vision. All he could do was jump to extraordinary heights, run faster than a speeding bullet and of course his nigh invulnerability and super-strength. I would have him start out this way and maybe he acquires his other abilities later on through scattered state-of-the-art Kryptonian tech. Such equipment he gains includes a solar-powered anti-gravity suit, contact lenses that give him X-ray vision and heat vision as well as maybe even a chrono-reversal detonator that reverses time by a certain amount over a single given area.

Do you like my idea? do you think it makes him more interesting of a character? If so, let me know and tell me how you would handle the character.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Nope. I don’t like the idea of Superman having his abilities through tech. He’s not Ironman or Batman.

That being said, I could be onboard with reverting to his earlier more limited abilities. If handled well it could be very interesting. And I could also be onboard with him developing/discovering more abilities slowly over time. But they need to be “natural” and not technologically derived.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Normal DC conversation, please. No more of whatever the hell that just was.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:01 pm As fun as The Suicide Squad looks, as fun as The Guardians of the Galaxy are, my favorite James Gunn film will likely always be Super.
Absolutely agreed on Super being my favorite Gunn film, and it will probably never be passed.

Hard to imagine any Nolan film will pass The Dark Knight either, for me that movie just fires on all cylinders just right. Shows how effective Nolan can be when he isn't concerned about the crazy editing or reality bending concept that he is juggling throughout the film.

The Dark Knight and Joker are my favorite overall DC films.

For the DCEU it is EASILY the Snyder Trilogy(or rather, the first 3 parts of his 5 film sequence) that is Man of Steel, Dawn of Justice and Justice League.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:37 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:01 pm As fun as The Suicide Squad looks, as fun as The Guardians of the Galaxy are, my favorite James Gunn film will likely always be Super.
Absolutely agreed on Super being my favorite Gunn film, and it will probably never be passed.

Hard to imagine any Nolan film will pass The Dark Knight either, for me that movie just fires on all cylinders just right. Shows how effective Nolan can be when he isn't concerned about the crazy editing or reality bending concept that he is juggling throughout the film.

The Dark Knight and Joker are my favorite overall DC films.

For the DCEU it is EASILY the Snyder Trilogy(or rather, the first 3 parts of his 5 film sequence) that is Man of Steel, Dawn of Justice and Justice League.
The Dark Knight and Joker are my favorite DC films too. I'm hoping I get to add The Batman to that list next year.

For the DCEU I'd have to say my favorite film is the first Wonder Woman. I like the Snyder films all right, they just don't quite resonate with me as much. I love the Batman stuff in BvS and JL, but just can't quite like his take on Superman (who is just behind Superman these days as my favorite superhero). So while I like the themes of the films, the overall experience is too mixed for me. That said, the batmobile chase and the warehouse fight in BvS is some of the best superhero action of all time. Although I think overall his cut of JL is the best of his 3 DCEU movies.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Weirdly, we may be getting a Joker 2 after all. It's not been announced yet, but according to a recent THR article it's listed as something WB is planning on.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I honestly am not sure where a Joker 2 could go, plot-wise. I guess it would turn into a Batman vs Joker story, but what would make it unique? Would Joker have a lot more supporters in this universe due to the events of the first film, would he go into full gangster-mobster Joker?
It's rife with potential, but also feels hard to follow up on.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

CyberZilla wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:26 pm I honestly am not sure where a Joker 2 could go, plot-wise. I guess it would turn into a Batman vs Joker story, but what would make it unique? Would Joker have a lot more supporters in this universe due to the events of the first film, would he go into full gangster-mobster Joker?
I think they might surprise us and not go with a Batman vs Joker story for a second outing. And I think if it's possible to follow up on it satisfactorily Phillips and Phoenix are up to the task.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

CyberZilla wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:26 pm I honestly am not sure where a Joker 2 could go, plot-wise. I guess it would turn into a Batman vs Joker story, but what would make it unique? Would Joker have a lot more supporters in this universe due to the events of the first film, would he go into full gangster-mobster Joker?
Moreover, was Arthur Fleck even the real Joker? Did the Murray Franklin skit and other scenes really happen or just in his head?

There's a bunch of untapped potential with a sequel, but is it enough to make an entire movie off of and competently?

Oh, and in somewhat unrelated news, Gal Gadot confirms Joss Whedon threatened her career.

WB sure are keeping good company over there, eh? Joss Whedon effectively cancelled himself with this latest bombshell.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun May 09, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"