DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by miguelnuva »

https://www.cbr.com/batgirl-movie-cance ... enings-dc/

Who else but DC. Is HBO Max not an option?
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:54 pm https://www.cbr.com/batgirl-movie-cance ... enings-dc/

Who else but DC. Is HBO Max not an option?
CBR ain't really the most reliable source. And from what I hear, this originated from NYP, which is ALSO not a reliable source; so I'm really just waiting for more official news to pop up.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I'm gonna doubt that they actually shelved that movie unless DC or WB-Discovery themselves announce it. Sunk cost fallacy and the popularity of the Batfamily characters mean it should see the light of day.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Doubt it's canned, but I believe the test screening results.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Deadline & THR have corroborated the news.

Holy shit.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

So is the movie dead? Officially? Wow. That’s a shame.
Last edited by CyberZilla on Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Okay, so according to whatever sources I read, WB canned it because they thought it was "irredeemable"

So, either they're talking about how incompatible it was with the rest of the DCEU and they mean irredeemable as if it just couldn't work... or they're talking about the film itself and they thought it was just THAT terrible. I mean, props for not trying to make things worse for the DCEU as is IG, but like... what?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It did look pretty bad from set photos. But they are *just* set photos. Word on the street is the suits only want big blockbusters going forward. One report said Keaton’s suit in particular looked horrendously cheap.

Zoey Deutch was my preferred favorite of the top 3 in the running, so hopefully we can see her in the role down the line.

Bit of a dodged bullet feeling imo, the rumors of a new trinity, of its connections to the flash, Keaton, etc. rubbed me the wrong way. Luckily they all got paid upfront.

Added in 1 hour 42 minutes 49 seconds:
While I find it interesting that they’re cutting all film ties to The Flash, that does leave the DC universe in an interesting position.

Like it or not the DCEU as it stands is in a much better position to be in than post-Flash would leave us. I think the new execs know this, and actually just stopped the bulldozer in its tracks. Why kill the universe that has two Shazam films, 2 Aquaman films, 2 Wonder Woman films, the Snyderverse films, The Suicide Squad + Peacemaker?

This way the door stays open for EVERYONE to be satisfied, while the absolute catastrophe that is Ezra Miller doesn’t have to utterly bash in the back door of our DC universe?

That’s not even including the other cash cows being Joker 2 and The Batman trilogy
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Regardless of how the movie looked, this is bad news all around. It's utterly unprecedented in modern movie history for a major studio to can a movie this far into production, especially one based off a pretty high-profile IP with a major supporting cast. Something terrifying is happening behind the scenes of WB and I am very concerned about a lot of films they have in production plus the IPs they have on hand. If Batgirl can get canned, there's no reason why the GVK sequel or anything else MonsterVerse that isn't tied to another studio/service would be exempt.

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:48 pm Regardless of how the movie looked, this is bad news all around. It's utterly unprecedented in modern movie history for a major studio to can a movie this far into production, especially one based off a pretty high-profile IP with a major supporting cast. Something terrifying is happening behind the scenes of WB and I am very concerned about a lot of films they have in production plus the IPs they have on hand. If Batgirl can get canned, there's no reason why the GVK sequel or anything else MonsterVerse that isn't tied to another studio/service would be exempt.
I can handle a DC lose, but I will go crazy if the Warner Discory kills two things I enjoy.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:48 pm Regardless of how the movie looked, this is bad news all around. It's utterly unprecedented in modern movie history for a major studio to can a movie this far into production, especially one based off a pretty high-profile IP with a major supporting cast. Something terrifying is happening behind the scenes of WB and I am very concerned about a lot of films they have in production plus the IPs they have on hand. If Batgirl can get canned, there's no reason why the GVK sequel or anything else MonsterVerse that isn't tied to another studio/service would be exempt.
Understandable concerns, and it’s extremely unprecedented. Even still, I don’t think it’s time to hit the panic button yet. Batgirl seemed to be in a unique spot because they deemed it “irredeemable,” which is not something I hear movie studios throw around. Until we know more of the behind the scenes story, I can’t say the MonsterVerse is in jeopardy/danger with full confidence.

Resized Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

CyberZilla wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:59 pm Understandable concerns, and it’s extremely unprecedented. Even still, I don’t think it’s time to hit the panic button yet. Batgirl seemed to be in a unique spot because they deemed it “irredeemable,” which is not something I hear movie studios throw around. Until we know more of the behind the scenes story, I can’t say the MonsterVerse is in jeopardy/danger with full confidence.
I'm not really panicking, just concerned at the moment. It's also important to point out that the Scoob sequel was also canned as well, so it's not just a situation unique to Batgirl: it's a wider WB issue.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Fair point. Did not hear about the Scoob sequel cancellation til now. It’s worrying that so many productions are getting the axe.

Resized Image

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I maybe incorrect but even if W/B wanted nothing to do with a Gvk sequel it's Legendary's baby and they will just have to find another company to distribute the film. Although I imagine Legendary will have pay out whatever W/B contributed in the budget which last I read was 25% on earlier Monsterverse projects, that may have changed with the new film though.

I also imagine this isn't the first time this has happened, just the first time things of this gravity have been leaked out. Plus if thing's continue i imagine ''The Flash'' will be next to be canceled just due to Millers actions especially if things continue to get worse. The already have Keaton replaced with Affleck in ''Aquaman 2'' and now with Batgirl being canceled which he was in that only leaves the flash left.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It was probably between Blue Beetle and Batgirl.

Batgirl would’ve come out before Flash at this rate, which meant Keaton would’ve had to be cut anyway, which destroys a large chunk of an already “irredeemable” film.

Which would mean Batgirl would have no Batman, in a universe described as pure “spaghetti” of continuity… at that point in their eyes they likely found it easier to just throw the whole thing away, get the tax returns, and invest it into future films, particularly Blue Beetle’s post production. A clean slate, coming of age Mexican teen hero, something we’ve never gotten before.

It… mostly makes sense? But we also must acknowledge how damaging this is to the cast and crew, this info must be devastating.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

In addition to what has already been said, there were rumors that Discovery wanted to end the DCEU and sell the rights to their characters out the way marvel did pre mcu. Let somone else spend money and then pay you off.

Rumors are now that WB is thinking of just canning Flash as well.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Weird shit is going on at Discovery/WB. Major rumors are going around now that HBOmax will be discontinued and everything moved over to Discovery+. On top of that they are supposedly going to can future production of all scripted shows. So it's not just the movie side if things. If true this type of stuff is happening all around the company.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:21 am Weird poop is going on at Discovery/WB. Major rumors are going around now that HBOmax will be discontinued and everything moved over to Discovery+. On top of that they are supposedly going to can future production of all scripted shows. So it's not just the movie side if things. If true this type of stuff is happening all around the company.
Would that even be bad though? At this point I’d rather the rights just be sold off to a company that’s going to have an idea what to do with these IPs. Just as long as it’s not the mouse buying it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Sell the rights to Legendary, they’re the only ones who could really push the envelope here.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Selling DC during an unprecedented superhero boom would be the single dumbest decision in the entire history of business.

Also, Disney would be the ones buying. They can easily outbid everyone else, and have extreme incentive to do so. A total monopoly on the CBM industry? Zero possibility of any kind of competition? Piles of easy billions as they exploit DC's vast story resources a hundred times more skillfully and professionally than WB has? They'll pay everything they have.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio