Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 403

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by Spuro »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:21 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:13 pm My favourite’s always gonna be Winter Soldier, tbh. It feels the least like an MCU movie and thats what I like.
I've heard it has more of a Bourne/MI vibe, is that true?
Kind of, yeah.

More importantly (to me) is that it’s very explicitly a politically charged movie, something rare for the MCU these days. It feels like it actually has something to say.

It’s my favorite MCU film too.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The only thing I remember about Winter Soldier is that Black Widow snaps a henchman's neck with her thighs, which prompted an all-timer from a friend I saw it with: "There are worse ways to go."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Spuro wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:01 pmMore importantly (to me) is that it’s very explicitly a politically charged movie, something rare for the MCU these days. It feels like it actually has something to say.
Interesting. I'm looking forward to that one.
Terasawa wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:07 pm The only thing I remember about Winter Soldier is that Black Widow snaps a henchman's neck with her thighs, which prompted an all-timer from a friend I saw it with: "There are worse ways to go."
Lmao. Facts!
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:39 pm What's your favorite MCU film?
I know you weren't asking me this, but Ill go ahead and answer. Mine is a tie between Captain America: The Winter Soldier, for its gritty-but-fun, high stakes thriller take; and Guardians of the Galaxy for its basic structural perfection as a character-driven action-adventure movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Infinity War is my favorite so far. It was an emotional rollercoaster in theaters, especially seeing as how bodies started dropping almost immediately. Thanos is probably one of my favorite villains in film history.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

So Shangi-Chi was unexpectedly and incredibly epic.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Coming back from Shang-Chi. It was pretty good until
Spoiler:
they got to Ta Lo, where I could basically guess every event that was going to happen. Like, seriously, the only thing that would’ve made it more predictable is if the souls the Dweller in Darkness sucked out magically came back to their bodies and no one ended up dying.
Anyways, to the topic at hand earlier, my favorite MCU film is either GotG Vol 2 or Infinity War.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Watched Shang Chi recently and, yeah, was pretty great. Better than Black Widow, at the very least.

On the topic of favorite MCU films, it’s a three way tie between Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Thor Ragnarok. I really do hope Captain America 4 and Thor: Love and Thunder could reach the heights of their predecessors.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Favorite MCU films for me are Spider-Man: Homecoming, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2, and Thor: Ragnarok. Though it’s usually fluctuating depending on my mood.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Just watched Black Widow, it was alright.
Spoiler:
I think we can agree on one thing on this film and that is They ruined taskmaster the only trait they have is they copy abilities and that’s it. But I might have a Headcanon that the “Real” Taskmaster exists in this universe. Taskmaster was the most Trusted Mercenary on The Black Widows. He had a unique ability that he predicts Attack patterns of his enemies. One day he just disappeared. The “fake” Taskmaster what is inspired by the real one.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Shang Chi was pretty good. Wenwu/The Mandarin was a surprisingly well rounded and sympathetic villain. Tony Leung did a great job in the role. I admittedly teared up a bit which MCU movies have rarely done.
Spoiler:
I knew Ben Kingsley was reprising his role as Trevor Slattery but had no idea he was going to have such a large role. I didn't expect anything more than a short cameo.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

The Marvel Cinematic Universe films released by Marvel Studios currently number 25.

If you include the slate of films scheduled for the rest of the year...that's 27.

If Spider-Man: Far From Home really does bring all 3 Spider-Man incarnations together(villains from the previous two versions are confirmed to be in) then retroactively, that adds those 5 Spider-Man movies into the 'shared universe' continuity....bringing the total to 32.

If Venom 1 and 2 and Morbious are also brought in by Holland crossing over into that universe...you are at 35.

If you include the 2022 and 2023 Marvel Studios slate on top of that...the total is 42

And there is no telling how many previous X-Men/Deadpool/Fantastic Four movies might be inherited into the larger canon by some of the shenanigans of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. A new Deadpool movie is in early development from what I understand.

Godzilla has been recognized as the longest running film franchise by Guinness, which they base on when the first film releases vs when the most recent film released, so that record won't be in jeopardy. Having 36 entries made it the longest film series that was still ongoing....but it seems like the MCU is going to launch beyond that in no time.

Yes, the MCU is a collection of franchises as opposed to one specific franchise, and retroactively adding prior films into the "multiverse" continuity is kinda sorta cheating...but still, even if you disregard the "Non Marvel Studios" productions...at the pace that the MCU is going, with no new Godzilla films officially on the horizon, the MCU will soon have more entries than the Godzilla franchise.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:29 pm The Marvel Cinematic Universe films released by Marvel Studios currently number 25.

If you include the slate of films scheduled for the rest of the year...that's 27.

If Spider-Man: Far From Home really does bring all 3 Spider-Man incarnations together(villains from the previous two versions are confirmed to be in) then retroactively, that adds those 5 Spider-Man movies into the 'shared universe' continuity....bringing the total to 32.

If Venom 1 and 2 and Morbious are also brought in by Holland crossing over into that universe...you are at 35.

And there is no telling how many previous X-Men/Deadpool/Fantastic Four movies might be inherited into the larger canon by some of the shenanigans of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. A new Deadpool movie is in early development from what I understand.

Godzilla has been recognized as the longest running film franchise by Guinness, which they base on when the first film releases vs when the most recent film released, so that record won't be in jeopardy. Having 36 entries made it the longest film series that was still ongoing....but it seems like the MCU is going to launch beyond that in no time.

If we're including those older superhero movies by Fox and Sony as part of the MCU, then we should probably consider the Godzilla series as including the likes of Rodan,Mothra, Frankenstein vs Baragon, War of the Gargantuas, Rebirth of Mothra, etc. That'd bring it up to 50 films at minimum. It's only fair. ;)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Spuro wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:14 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:29 pm The Marvel Cinematic Universe films released by Marvel Studios currently number 25.

If we're including those older superhero movies by Fox and Sony as part of the MCU, then we should probably consider the Godzilla series as including the likes of Rodan,Mothra, Frankenstein vs Baragon, War of the Gargantuas, Rebirth of Mothra, etc. That'd bring it up to 50 films at minimum. It's only fair. ;)
Good point

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Even if we count the non-Godzilla Toho kaiju films, the MCU is still gonna go way past it before this decade even reaches its midpoint.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:51 pm
Spuro wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:14 pm

Good point
I could get behind the argument of including films that somehow connect back into the main Godzilla universe. I think Mothra deserves inclusion more than a Rodan, which would deserve an inclusion more than War of the Gargantuas and Frankenstein vs Baragon.

Just having a monster from one film appear in another doesn't really imply a connection or continuity. Having Spider-Man in Civil War didn't automatically make every Spider-Man film part of the continuity...but the events of Far From Home seems like it will clearly link back to those films.

So just having a monster like Varan or Baragon show up for a cameo in Destroy All Monsters doesn't really mean their respective films are part of the canon and continuity. They count as Varan films and Baragon films, but not necessarily in the Showa Godzilla universe.

In the same way that The Dark Knight and Batman v Superman are both on the list of "Batman Films" but The Dark Knight is not a part of the currently running DC Extended Universe. Nor would Man of Steel be listed as a Batman film just because it is in continuity with BvS.

You have to either share the character or share continuity, by my reckoning, to be considered part of any kind of 'single franchise' but just checking one box doesn't check both. Spider-Man: Homecoming is an MCU film, but not every MCU film is a Spider-Man film. Every old Spider-Man movie is a Spider-Man film, but not every Spider-Man film was an MCU film...until now, it seems.

With DC also building their own multiverse...they have a huge catalog of films they could potentially hook into their DCEU though. The TV Arrowverse left nearly no stone un-turned in terms of the films and shows it wanted to be part of ITS continuity.

Mothra in Mothra vs Godzilla seems very much to be the SAME creature as in the 1961 film. The Rodan in Ghidorah doesn't seem necessarily billed as the same Rodan or having any meaningful connection to that film besides, I believe, the location where Rodan wakes up and the dialogue being worded as 're-awakened' and 'resurrected' and things like that.

Gargantuas introduces the maser tanks...it can be debated how much of a meaningful connection that is for the universe, but it is still a debate to have. Any time a monster shows up in one movie and then in a Godzilla movie...you can certainly justify including it in the lineup. Of course, GAM and Tokyo SOS kind of clearly put Mothra and Gargantuas into the continuity of THAT film...so they are even more deserving of inclusion within the pantheon.

But I don't think EVERY Toho Kaiju movie necessarily just automatically deserves to be part of the "Toho Cinematic Universe"

I don't believe the "Rebirth of Mothra" films are designed to share continuity with the Heisei Godzilla films...so I would be very much against arguing to include them. You can make a case for a number of Showa films, but Rebirth of Mothra clearly seems to be in its own continuity. If there had been a film that crossed that Mothra over with Godzilla Junior or one of the Millennium films, then it is a different story.

With the Marvel Universe films, they consistently share a strong continuity and overlapping characters and story elements, and if they use the "multiverse" as a narrative device to link continuity with other films...then it now becomes the Marvel multiverse, and every outward film they extend continuity to now gets "Grandfathered in" to the series in a pretty meaningful way.

Like Cryptid_Liker mentioned, even if we do add those various films...what would that add? 5-10 films? I still think the MCU and the Multiverse element of it are expanding at such a rapid rate that it is quickly going to become the largest/most numerous film franchise/continuity ever. Technically I think in terms of 'films existing in the same continuity' it already owns the record with a bullet.

Believe me....I don't really consider it to be a feather in the cap like some, I see it as a detriment.

If a 15 year old like my younger brother is told how amazing the Lord of the Rings Trilogy is, he has to watch 3 films...and I was able to show him easily enough and he liked them a lot.

Within the next few years, a 15 year old who didn't really ever watch the Marvel stuff...who gets told "Man, all those Marvel movies are great, check them out!" might go to wikipedia and find a list of 50 connected movies to watch. At that point they'll likely just cancel their plans to ever watch the films.

Just as, no matter how great I hear it is or how highly it might be recommended....I will never watch One Piece because tackling 1000 episodes of anime is simply a mountain I'm not going to climb.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Favorite MCU movie - still the original Iron Man. I like the MCU, but I don't think it's ever managed to top its first entry.

Weakest MCU movie (imo) - tie between the current two Spider-Man movies. I'm just not a fan of Holland's Spidey or his solo films. Especially as I feel a strong urge to put "" around solo for his movies...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

So the latest What If was my favorite so far.
Spoiler:
It really showed how much of a snake Erik Killmonger is, tapped into that manipulative potential that feels natural from what we saw of him in Black Panther but might have otherwise have gone untapped.
My other most preferred What If would be the one with Dr. Strange. Tries to be emotional and tragic, but it does kind of go where I expected.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Has anyone been keeping up with the What If episodes?? These last few have been fucking wild.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

The Thor What If was stupid & rather cringy. The latest one made up for that though.
Though, some of it didn't make much sense like
Spoiler:
The mind stone cutting Thanos in freaking half instantly, him having The Time & Soul stones to begin with & Infinity Ultron's stones working outside their universe.
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.