General Transformers Discussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: General Transformers Discussion

Post by Rhedosaurus »

godzilla98rules wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Wild that a franchise for children has a film geared more towards a younger audience.
^ It's funny enough that the previous films feel way more childish than this film and the G1 cartoon combined......
Let's face it. Beast Wars was, and still is, more mature then all of the Transformers TV shows and movies, combined and multiplied by 10.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
godzilla98rules wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Wild that a franchise for children has a film geared more towards a younger audience.
^ It's funny enough that the previous films feel way more childish than this film and the G1 cartoon combined......
Let's face it. Beast Wars was, and still is, more mature then all of the Transformers TV shows and movies, combined and multiplied by 10.
I'd sat Transformers Prime was pretty mature as well. That show got really dark at times.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I've been watching Beast Machines and I think it's the most mature Transformers series. It gets pretty deep with it's themes of the dangers of extremism, balance, and individuality vs collectivism. BM gets a lot of flack for being too different and the character designs being pretty out there but I think it's great and it's my 3rd favorite series in the franchise.

Also, Prime is dark but I don't think it does anything with that darkness besides being edgy. Animated and Beast Wars are generally fun shows but I think they were both more mature in handling darker subjects than Prime was. (Ratchet's PTSD, Blurr's death, Dinobot's whole character arc...)
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

The times that Prime executed darker themes and episodes well were, imo, really great, with the most noticeable mention being the episode with Breakdown’s gruesome death and the events that followed. But then, the show would also a lot of times feel as though it got dark just for the sake of being so, with no real payoff at the end. The fact that not a single Autobot, outside of Cliffjumper, ever died didn’t help either. When there were pretty massive stakes involved, Prime would just never really do much with them, and before one knew it, the show would be back to the status quo in a few episodes’ time.

Like, Megatron literally had complete control over Earth, and yet within a few episodes, the Autobots were able to dismantle the entire Decepticon stronghold with very little trouble. Prime has a ton a great moments, don’t get me wrong, and I have no trouble revisiting it, but the likes of Animated and Beast Wars just have it beat in terms of satisfying arcs, themes, and actual stakes.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Breakdown's death wasn't great at all, it came out of nowhere and stunted his development with Bulkhead all to prop up an uninteresting dollar store version of Blackarachnia.

But agree on everything else, Prime was a show that seemed like it wanted to be much more than it was but always just ended up resetting the status quo at the end of each episode.

Remember Dreadwing's defection/helping the Autobots? Yeah, that won't get expanded upon, he'll be randomly killed by Megatron. Remember Bulkhead's injury? Yeah, one episode of him trying to walk and then he's fine again.

I think a lot of people are looking at Prime with rose-tinted glasses. It had some good characters but the overall show wasn't nearly as good as some people make it out to be.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Oh, Breakdown’s death was horrid, both literally and metaphorically, but the episode surrounding it was really good in terms of tone, pacing etc. I should’ve made that more clear. It was one of the few times where getting dark actually enhanced the overall experience of Prime for me.

#BotM

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

UltramanGoji wrote:Breakdown's death wasn't great at all, it came out of nowhere and stunted his development with Bulkhead all to prop up an uninteresting dollar store version of Blackarachnia
Who they then proceeded to shelve 2 episodes later and then kill off in season 3 along with Breakdown/Silas (again). Breakdown was such a wasted character that it still makes me mad. Hell, I could see him joining the Autobots at the end of season 3 like Knockout did, especially after he was really hesitant to kill Bulkhead on Starscream's orders after the former rescued him. He had a redeeming qualities that made him a superior character to Airachnid who was just evil for the sake of being evil.

Dreadwing's death was also really fucking dumb. Another Decepticon who had potential gets uncerimoniously killed off, along with Hardshell and Makeshift.

Despite it's bad handeling of characters and boring filler episodes, I generally enjoyed Prime and I felt satisfied with the way it concluded. Too bad RID had to come out and completely ruin the point of Beast Hunter's ending and Optimus's sacrifice.
ImageImage

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

KillCrites wrote:I've been watching Beast Machines and I think it's the most mature Transformers series. It gets pretty deep with it's themes of the dangers of extremism, balance, and individuality vs collectivism. BM gets a lot of flack for being too different and the character designs being pretty out there but I think it's great and it's my 3rd favorite series in the franchise.

Also, Prime is dark but I don't think it does anything with that darkness besides being edgy. Animated and Beast Wars are generally fun shows but I think they were both more mature in handling darker subjects than Prime was. (Ratchet's PTSD, Blurr's death, Dinobot's whole character arc...)

I never thought Beast Machines was worth it. Many of the themes it talked about could have easily been talked about in Beast Wars if the 3rd season hadn't been somewhat rushed. Not only that, but I was totally lost with the show's pacing.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I've been watching Beast Wars recently, and I've got to say that this Megatron is easily among my favorites, next to Animated, Movie, and WFC/Aligned. I absolutely love his smug, moustache-twirling villain personality and his iconic "Yesssss!" catchphrase. Inferno is probably my favorite overall character though. Dude has me laughing in every scene he's in. His defining characteristic is that he's bat-shit insane and literally thinks he's an ant. Half of his scenes are him screaming incoherently while flailing his gun, while the other is spent praising THE ROOOOOOYALTY!1#!!1!!.

"I dont rock-and-roll. I B U R N"
Last edited by Breakdown on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Breakdown wrote:I've been watching Beast Wars recently, and I've got to say that this Megatron is easily among my favorites, next to Animated, Movie, and WFC/Aligned. I absolutely love his smug, moustache-twirling villain personality and his iconic "Yesssss!" catchphrase. Inferno is probably my favorite overall character though. Dude has me laughing in every scene he's in. His defining characteristic is that he's bat-shit insane and literally thinks he's an ant. Half of his scenes are him screaming incoherently while flailing his gun, while the other is spent praising THE ROOOOOOYALTY!1#!!1!!.

Is this your first time watching Beast Wars? It's a great show. My only issue is how empty the world feels. But the character work is among the strongest in the franchise imo.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Breakdown wrote:I've been watching Beast Wars recently, and I've got to say that this Megatron is easily among my favorites, next to Animated, Movie, and WFC/Aligned. I absolutely love his smug, moustache-twirling villain personality and his iconic "Yesssss!" catchphrase. Inferno is probably my favorite overall character though. Dude has me laughing in every scene he's in. His defining characteristic is that he's bat-shit insane and literally thinks he's an ant. Half of his scenes are him screaming incoherently while flailing his gun, while the other is spent praising THE ROOOOOOYALTY!1#!!1!!.

I dont rock-and-roll. I B U R N"

I only saw a smattering of episodes of BEAST WARS ,and the follow-up, BEAST MACHINES, but loved how it continued the G1 continuity. I also liked IDW's two Beast Wars mags, The Gathering, and Ascension. Which introduced me to one of favorite Predacons, Magmatron.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Magmatron
Both minis, along with Magmatron, introduced fans to a lot of characters from the Beast Wars that didn't make it to the series, maybe to the anime BEAST WARS II or Neo. But didn't get a voice stateside.
Last edited by The One and Only on Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:

Is this your first time watching Beast Wars? It's a great show. My only issue is how empty the world feels. But the character work is among the strongest in the franchise imo.
I've seen a random assortment of episodes here and there, but this is my first time actually watching from start to finish. I definetly agree this is one of the best shows in regards to characters, rivaling or even surpassing Animated.
Last edited by Breakdown on Wed May 01, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know it would be ludicrously expensive to make, but do any of you think it would be interesting if they made a live-action Transformers TV show?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

LegendZilla wrote:I know it would be ludicrously expensive to make, but do any of you think it would be interesting if they made a live-action Transformers TV show?
Might sound tricky to execute, especially when it comes to budget.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Growing up, Godzilla and Transformers were my two favorite things. Still love Godzilla, but lost interest in Transformers around when I went to college and I'm not sure why. Maybe it'll come back to me someday; I loved Harry Potter as a kid, didn't give a shit about it for nearly a decade, then spontaneously decided to reread all seven books last year.

As dopey as it is, I greatly enjoy the G1 cartoon up until the godawful movie, don't really like what came after. Seen very little Beast Wars I'm sad to admit, because I'm often told it's the best series. My personal favorite cartoon series is definitely Transformers Prime.

As to the movies, they could've been alot better, but I think the first three get too much hate. So many critics thought ROTF was the worst action movie ever, and I don't know how that can be an opinion when the Matrix sequels and every post-T2 Terminator sequel exist. They're dumb fun, and I enjoy them. On the other hand, AOE and TLK really are two of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. The Last Knight is honestly probably tied with The Last Airbender as one of the two worst movies I've ever watched in a theater. They were totally unnecessary and never should have been made.

And Bumblebee was pretty great. Nuff said about that. I hope they make a sequel/reboot with a better director that stays more faithful to the mythology of the original series.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: I greatly enjoy the G1 cartoon up until the godawful movie.
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:My personal favorite cartoon series is definitely Transformers Prime.
Taste this bad should be bannable.

/s

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

UltramanGoji wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: I greatly enjoy the G1 cartoon up until the godawful movie.
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:My personal favorite cartoon series is definitely Transformers Prime.
Taste this bad should be bannable.

/s
Yep, people should be banned for their opinions on a franchise that revolves around selling toys. Totally agreed. Come get me, mods.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

If you love Transformers I seriously suggest checking out both the books Transformers: A Visual History and Transformers Legacy: The Art of Transformers Packaging. I ordered both from Amazon and am particularly impressed with A Visual History. Its huge, its thick, and it's super heavy. The Art of Transformers is a comprehensive picture book full to the brim with art from the entire Generation 1 and Generation 2 toyline. I'm really happy with both my purchases.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Anyone else really like Animated?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Anyone else really like Animated?
It's the best of the TV shows, I think.