The Official Mystery Science Theater 3000 Topic

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Official Mystery Science Theater 3000 Topic

Post by Terasawa »

What was the season 12 episode that had everyone in the theater (including Gypsy and two of the new bots) performing a fully orchestrated music number? That was a big misfire.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I saddens me that the resurrection of this series proved to be a failure.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Eh, its a cockroach now. It'll be around forever in some form, whether it's people worked on the show riffing without the show's name, new revivals, live shows... I really feel it's one of those things that is more popular now then it is when it was current, you know? I think Netflix was just a bad fit; the show didn't fit into the metrics they measure for success, and I don't think MST3K benefits for being a little fish in the big pond. They need a venue that's smaller and more specialized, where they're a big deal - big fish in a small pond. They'd be better on Shudder or IFC or something.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

MST3K just needs the right platform and the right direction. Netflix was trying to turn it into a staple comedy series and it did it in probably the worst way possible

MST3K's appeal doesn't come from celebrity cameos, references, pop-culture, it comes from the simple universal experience of watching a terrible movie with other people

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MST3K didn't need a revival, full stop. It's better as a product of the 90's and doesn't need to be brought back. Rifftrax is more than capable of continuing the legacy of riffing.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Remember this from a few months ago?
As announced at the MST3K San Diego comic-con “Panel-in-Place” with Joel Hodgson, J. Elvis Weinstein, and Bill Corbet, MST3K is planning a fundraiser for MIGIZI.

MIGIZI is a Native American nonprofit organization whose main facility was heavily damaged during the fires that coincided with the George Floyd protests in Minneapolis. The MST3K fundraising committee’s goal is to help MIGIZI secure funds to begin rebuilding.

If the first fundraising goal of $10,000 is met, Joel, J Elvis, and Bill will reprise their original roles in the show as Joel Robinson, Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot and riff a short film, with a doorway sequence, silhouettes and all!

If you donate, you’ll receive a password to be a part of the VIP premier of the short with riffs from Joel and Tom and Crow. Later, the short film will have a world-wide premiere here at MST3K.org – in an effort to raise awareness for MIGIZI and, of course, accept more donations. We will update you periodically on our progress here on the blog, so check back to see how things go.

We hope you’ll be able to help us out in getting this needed and valued Minneapolis organization back on its feet, and getting yourselves a little new MST3K at the same time!
The shorts (they riffed 2) premiere live-streamed on October 30 in what they're calling the Second Annual Puppet Camp and Startling Conclusion of the MIGIZI Fundraiser! More details at their site.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is anyone aware of a documentary about the (very troubled) production of The Creeping Terror, entitled The Creep Behind the Camera?

Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ Your link doesn't work. I was excited for it when it was announced but disappointed by the finished film, which was a poorly acted docudrama instead of the traditional documentary they'd started making.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

LegendZilla wrote:Is anyone aware of a documentary about the (very troubled) production of The Creeping Terror, entitled The Creep Behind the Camera?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH-t4orGBZM&t=173s
I'm aware of it and yeah it's fairly interesting what a headcase con-artist the director was, but I really only watched "those scenes" with the recreated Creeping Terror prop desu and skipped through the rest
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

A few of the episodes --including Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster-- from the first Turkey Day marathon in 1991 have been uploaded to YouTube, just in time for the holidays.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Thanks for the heads up!

Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster is actually an episode I've never seen before!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^It's only a matter of time before it's taken down.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:53 pm ^It's only a matter of time before it's taken down.
The YouTube upload is only part of the episode. It links off-site to another popular video site where Toho has done very little to enforce its copyrights. But yeah, regardless, it would be wise to watch ASAP. Same goes for The Amazing Colossal Man, also uploaded from the same marathon.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I haven't seen that one for awhile. I'll definitely catch it.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings All, Looks like a new kickstarter is up and running. The initial goal to produce 3 new episodes at 2 million has already been reached. The Ultimate Goal is 12 episodes, 12 shorts, and the ability to upload the episodes directly to various apps of 5.5 Million has 24 days left. I'm definitely excited to see MST3K return, yet again

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ms ... emoremst3k

Amazingly, this is basically the same price as it was 5 years ago
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Felt that they really found their footing during Season 12, so I'm happy they'll be continuing to lucky #13!

Now, what tier on the Kickstart to donate... I suppose at least $100 to get the t-shirt!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Like or dislike MST3K the Return, MST3K does provide sci fi and horror lovers a chance to see some of the older and more obscure movies. They can be hard to find.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What movies would you like to see them tackle in season 13? I would like to see Inframan and some of the old Gamera movies they skipped out on last time.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

They apparently had a mandate from both Netflix and
SYFY (in the '90s) to primarily do sci-fi/horror/fantasy. I loved how in the CC era they really tackled a lot of different kinds of movies, and I hope that's the case now that they're independent. Juvenile delinquent films, James Bond ripoff, Russian fantasy films, Italian sword and sorcery films, '70s TV movies that were failed pilots for shows...

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:46 pm Russian fantasy films
Apparently Ishiro Honda directed the Japanese dub of Sampo (known here as The Day the Earth Froze) according to the biography from Ryfle and Godzisiewski.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.