Any Friday the 13th fans here?

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
ROMG4
G-Grasper

Re: Any Friday the 13th fans here?

Post by ROMG4 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I own all the movies except for Freddy vs. Jason and Jason X. I wouldn't exactly say I'm a fan but I do enjoy the movies very much. They're classic horrors.
Last edited by ROMG4 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ROMG4 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I own all the movies except for Freddy vs. Jason and Jason X. I wouldn't exactly say I'm a fan but I do enjoy the movies very much. They're classic horrors.
I don't think even the most hardcore of F13 fans could try to argue with a straight face that the best F13 flick is anywhere near the level of The Invisible Man.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

None of the F13 films are any good. And I'm a fan of the Jason character! I like F13 but not the F13 movies, lol

I honestly think the only good ones might just be Part 6 and the reboot. Those are the only ones from my memory that have anything close to a compelling narrative and interesting characters.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:None of the F13 films are any good. And I'm a fan of the Jason character! I like F13 but not the F13 movies, lol

I honestly think the only good ones might just be Part 6 and the reboot. Those are the only ones from my memory that have anything close to a compelling narrative and interesting characters.
I will stand by F13 Part 2 until my death. Great atmosphere, engaging characters, a good pace, effective thrills. And its formalist approach, contrasted with the original's more naturalistic style, is a complement that makes both better movies by way of juxtaposition.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

comment deleted.
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

My favorite Friday movie is probably Freddy Vs. Jason. Its amazing how well that movie actually nails both characters. Also liked Part 6, 7, X, and I didn't think the reboot was all that bad.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

Original: Enjoyable horror film from beginning to end.

Part 2: Good sequel with some good twists and scares.

Part III: Like it with all the interesting characters in it besides Jason and the soundtrack is epic.

Final Chapter: Another one with interesting characters besides Jason as this point in the trilogy they were luring the Tommy character to be the new killer.

New Beginning: Not bad but could have been better as the backlash of the film made people hate it.

Jason Lives: Yes with the fans disappointed that Jason wasn't in the last film and didn't want the new turn in the series, Jason returns in this as it's actually a great horror film as the deaths are extravagant.

New Blood: Once again the death scenes are extravagant but could have much better if the stupid MPAA didn't get involved and tone it down too much.

Jason Takes Manhattan: Decent but I really didn't want the series to end this way.

Jason Goes to Hell: Really disappointing as I know they were trying something different than the same old formula from the other films but it didn't click for me.

Jason X: Never seen it but the comments from the fans it seems promising.

Freddy vs. Jason: Hated it, my least favorite Friday film, Jason's afraid of water? are you kidding me?!

Remake: Again never seen it as it will have own character developments, atmosphere and so on and I meant feel disappointed or not who knows?

Well that's it as you know the next film to come out is the thirteenth one so let's high hopes on that one shall we.
Last edited by Freebleeper on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Well, NECA( and ALL F13 licensors )is the latest victim of the Friday the 13th legal fighting. Anything that has been announced or is "in development"( Roy Burns fake Jason, FvJ Jason, etc. ) will be the LAST of the F13 merch produced. Nothing further will be made - at least until the legalese is ironed out, and who knows WHEN that will be...?

Dark Times are upon us...

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. The dude was a god damn contracted temp, he doesn't get ANY rights. He's just some jackass who has hit up hard times and needs some quick cash so suddenly 40 years later he cares.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. The dude was a god damn contracted temp, he doesn't get ANY rights. He's just some jackass who has hit up hard times and needs some quick cash so suddenly 40 years later he cares.
Oh, so THAT'S why a new Friday the 13th film hasn't been made or announced since 2009.

Strangely enough, I never knew about all the legal mumbo jumbo until now. I know a second NoES reboot is in the works from checking out Bloody-Disgusting, I wasn't aware that Friday the 13th was in limbo because of some dickwad suing for rights. Yeah, the guy is a jackass holding a damn franchise hostage for something he should have no rights over to begin with.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KManX89 wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. The dude was a god damn contracted temp, he doesn't get ANY rights. He's just some jackass who has hit up hard times and needs some quick cash so suddenly 40 years later he cares.
Oh, so THAT'S why a new Friday the 13th film hasn't been made or announced since 2009.

Strangely enough, I never knew about all the legal mumbo jumbo until now. I know a second NoES reboot is in the works from checking out Bloody-Disgusting, I wasn't aware that Friday the 13th was in limbo because of some dickwad suing for rights. Yeah, the guy is a jackass holding a damn franchise hostage for something he should have no rights over to begin with.
No, Miller is 100% in the right to sue. Cunningham is the one being a jackass. It's not a "40 years later he suddenly cares" situation, it's due to the '76 Copyright act.

And, frankly, the courts ruled in favor of Miller. Cunningham just doesn't want to play ball so they're appealing and things are going nowhere.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Does anyone here think that a Friday The 13th anime could work?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Does anyone here think that a Friday The 13th anime could work?
No.

Added in 10 minutes 45 seconds:
In all seriousness, while it could possibly work, I wouldn't want it myself. I think something like A Nightmare on Elm Street would work better in an anime medium.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Maritonic wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:Does anyone here think that a Friday The 13th anime could work?
No.

In all seriousness, while it could possibly work, I wouldn't want it myself. I think something like A Nightmare on Elm Street would work better in an anime medium.
True. There's only so much you can do with a "teens wind up on a lake with a masked serial killer on the loose". It'd be hard to make an entire show out of that. A mini-series, maybe (and even that's kinda pushing it), but an entire anime with multiple seasons made out of that? I just don't see it. They could delve into Jason's backstory via flashbacks/exposition to flesh it out, but again, there's only so much you can do with that concept.

A Nightmare on Elm Street, though? That allows for much more creative flexibility and different scenarios, so that I could actually see working.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KManX89 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
No.

True. There's only so much you can do with a "teens wind up on a lake with a masked serial killer on the loose". It'd be hard to make an entire show out of that. A mini-series, maybe (and even that's kinda pushing it), but an entire anime with multiple seasons made out of that? I just don't see it. They could delve into Jason's backstory via flashbacks/exposition to flesh it out, but again, there's only so much you can do with that concept.

A Nightmare on Elm Street, though? That allows for much more creative flexibility and different scenarios, so that I could actually see working.
For sure. There's definitely some untouched territory in the Friday the 13th lore that would be great to see in film (winter, Jason's father, returning survivors). But I think it works better in the film medium.

A Nightmare animated series would actually be very interesting to see. Especially if it was done in a vein like Love, Death and Robots or Black Mirror where each episode is a different self-contained story.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Maritonic wrote: No, Miller is 100% in the right to sue. Cunningham is the one being a jackass. It's not a "40 years later he suddenly cares" situation, it's due to the '76 Copyright act.
Both are being jackasses. However, if Miller was in the right to sue, why did he wait so long to do so? This should have been something he did 30 years ago.

Cunningham is also a dick because he didn't care about the franchise until this lawsuit occurred.

The only people get fucked in the ass over this ordeal are the fans.

As for a F13, no thanks. For one thing, they'll have it so that Jason and his mother had a thing together since the Japanese love to put incest in their anime. Secondly, they would don't understand how American slasher films work. They'd try to make it existential and way too complicated than it needs to be.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
Maritonic wrote: No, Miller is 100% in the right to sue. Cunningham is the one being a jackass. It's not a "40 years later he suddenly cares" situation, it's due to the '76 Copyright act.
Both are being jackasses. However, if Miller was in the right to sue, why did he wait so long to do so? This should have been something he did 30 years ago.

Cunningham is also a dick because he didn't care about the franchise until this lawsuit occurred.

The only people get fucked in the ass over this ordeal are the fans.

As for a F13, no thanks. For one thing, they'll have it so that Jason and his mother had a thing together since the Japanese love to put incest in their anime. Secondly, they would don't understand how American slasher films work. They'd try to make it existential and way too complicated than it needs to be.
Miller waited due to copyrights. The copyright act allows him to make his bid and sue for the rights after an extended period of time. He had to wait for that time to pass.

No disagreement on your comments about Cunningham or the fans being the one's to suffer. He never gave a crap, and we're getting screwed because these two can't play nice and make money together.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

What did he have to wait on copyrights for?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:What did he have to wait on copyrights for?
"Because of the 1976 US Copyright Act, artists have the ability to challenge for the rights to work they may have sold off after 35 years. As artists typically have no leverage when initially licensing their property to big money studios, this provision gives them a second chance to negotiate for a better deal after fully measuring the scope of the work’s success. At the time, Miller was only paid around $10,000 for his Friday the 13th screenplay, yet the film went on to gross almost $40 million at the box office (or $130 million in 2018 dollars).

Understandably feeling he was unfairly compensated, Miller filed to terminate the grant of rights to his script back in 2016. However, rather than negotiate a new deal with him, the production companies holding the rights — Horror Inc. and the Manny Company (Cunningham) — chose to sue Miller instead. Something that seems to be lost in the translation in the complaints online is that Miller is actually the defendant in this case."