Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 403

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by miguelnuva »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:41 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:45 pm Blade also didn't have the cultural impact Black Panther has. The MCU Blade is likely going to have a much bigger culture impact.
In a different way, I sincerely hope. Blade doesn't need to address the same issues BP does.
I was comparing McU Blade to Westley Snipes blade when I mentioned cultural impact. My mistake on the confusion.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:00 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:41 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:45 pm Blade also didn't have the cultural impact Black Panther has. The MCU Blade is likely going to have a much bigger culture impact.
In a different way, I sincerely hope. Blade doesn't need to address the same issues BP does.
I was comparing McU Blade to Westley Snipes blade when I mentioned cultural impact. My mistake on the confusion.
Oh, yeah. For sure. I just hope Ali has at least half the screen presence Snipes did in Blade. He owned that roll.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:03 pm It also grossed over 1b in a dead month, highly impressive.
I will concede a number of points. BP had a primarily Black Cast and a movie like Blade didn't although both leads were black.

But while February is not typically a mega blockbuster month...it did allow the film to be a big fish in a small pond. Just like when a couple of the Fast and Furious movies cleaned up in April when that was typically an "off month"

October was never seen as a blockbuster month until films like Gravity, The Martian, and Joker started aiming for it.

I would also argue that President's Day weekend during Black History Month was about as tailor-made of a releaae to help Black Panther maximize business as it could have been. Plus being the lead-in to Infinity War also helped just as being the lead-in to Endgame helped Captain Marvel. We will likely see these bumps more clearly defined with their sequels.

As far as the "told by black voices" thing, Snipes was a producer on all 3 Blade films and had a heavy influence over the script and production as a whole, which is part of the reason Steven Norrington didn't return for the sequel and why the writer of the Trilogy, David Goyer got promoted to direct the 3rd. Now, the production of the 3rd wasn't smooth at all, but that is a different can of worms.

Snipes was originally pursuing a Black Panther film, but the production was too big and daunting for the time. So he moved to Blade.

Let's just not pretend that just because Blade didn't try to infuse racial issues, that it didnt have a predominately Black cast and crew that it was "just another white folk movie with a Black guy in it" and somehow doesn't count as I find that a little disrespectful to Snipes.

Retroactively judging very important films harshly because they don't match "modern quotas" is ridiculous. There was a solid 20 years where almost everything Will Smith touched turned to gold. He's the only name and face on the poster and you get a hit film. Zero controversy. Now we are trying to look back on his films with disdain or disapproval because there weren't enough black cast and crew members? He became a leading man that entire blockbusters were built around but that wasn't progress?

We shouldn't be minimizing what so many have done over the years just because you can argue that "Black Panther did it more and better" or just because none of those films happened to find the market that Black Panther did.

Black Panther stands on the shoulders of many giants, including the established brand strength and cross-promotional power of its own franchise.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:20 pm Let's just not pretend that just because Blade didn't try to infuse racial issues, that it didnt have a predominately Black cast and crew that it was "just another white folk movie with a Black guy in it" and somehow doesn't count as I find that a little disrespectful to Snipes.
Now we are trying to look back on his films with disdain or disapproval because there weren't enough black cast and crew members? He became a leading man that entire blockbusters were built around but that wasn't progress?
We shouldn't be minimizing what so many have done over the years just because you can argue that "Black Panther did it more and better" or just because none of those films happened to find the market that Black Panther did.
Well it's a good thing I didn't do any of these things, then!

No one is minimizing the work of others on films before Black Panther, at least not in this thread. Miguel and I were just acknowledging that it did it on a scale that none of the earlier films mentioned by 1990s had. It's not a strictly either-or affair: we can all acknowledge that all of the films in question here, including Black Panther, were groundbreaking in their own ways.

The Meteor Man was written and directed by (and starred) Robert Townsend, one of the best and most notable Black filmmakers of his generation. I'm not dismissing his work on that film or any other by acknowledging the simple fact that Black Panther was a much larger success where money, critical acclaim, and especially cultural impact are concerned. Neither am I being disrespectful towards Snipes (!) or disregarding his major behind-the-scenes contributions to the Blade films. Nevertheless, none of the writers or directors in the Blade trilogy were Black; I don't think there's anything disrespectful or dismissive about pointing that out when that is one of the most notable aspects of Black Panther's production.

Ultimately, I think even Snipes would say that Black Panther was a catalyst for change and a production which opened other doors and other opportunities for PoC in the film industry.

Oh wait, he did.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Tim Blake Nelson is returning as The Leader for Captain America 4.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:01 pm Tim Blake Nelson is returning as The Leader for Captain America 4.
Only took them about 14 years to announce anything to do with that character, but nonetheless, I am thrilled.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Namor is confirmed to be a Mutant in the MCU. Slowly but surely they are coming.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

NSZ wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:38 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/VancityReyno ... 7141481477

So, yeah
Spoiler:
Hugh's back
Wow.
Spoiler:
Talk about surprise. Hugh was pretty adamant that he was DONE with the role after Logan! Wonder what changed his mind?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:24 pm
NSZ wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:38 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/VancityReyno ... 7141481477

So, yeah
Spoiler:
Hugh's back
Wow.
Spoiler:
Talk about surprise. Hugh was pretty adamant that he was DONE with the role after Logan! Wonder what changed his mind?
Feige, Reynolds and the money truck.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Perfect set up to have Dafne Keen come back now.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And my hype level nosedives into the mud. I was really looking forward to this... not happening. But here we are. Damn.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I still hope by the end, Deadpool realizes he's in the MCU and says something to the extant of "Well, guess I'm in the MCU now." Excited to see how they pull this off.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah I'm sure it'll be a final send-off road trip type film, Fox's biggest headliners for their biggest comic franchise take a ride toward the new world ahead.

With one of the two realizing they have to stay behind to ensure things remain safe. It seals the book for good, and makes the old X fans feel like they've been given the loving push out of the nest to move on.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Oh... I don't know, my first thought was that we were talking about the MCU X-Men movies. If that's not what this is, and it obviously isn't, then I retract my previous statement.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Deadpool looks like he's in his grey x force suit to me.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Reynolds ask Hugh "one last time?" So I'm pretty sure this will more or less be a film to bridge and directly connect to FoxVerse to the MCU multiverse the way No Way Home did the Raimi and Amazing universes. Yeah Patrick Stewart was in Multiverse of Madness but it seems pretty evident he wasn't the FoxVerse version of Professor X and just happens to look like him.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Hard to believe Professor X has died, what, 4 times in the movies now?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Curious if they will reference incursions again in DP3 as a way to get DP linked to the MCU. Would be a good way to loop it into the current saga.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

SteveIrwinFan96
G-Force Personnel

Post by SteveIrwinFan96 »

In other news, the Blade reboot loses its director Bassam Tariq: https://comicbookmovie.com/blade/blade- ... er-a197034