The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by JAGzilla »

I finally picked Clone Wars back up after a ten-year hiatus. I got burned out by a lot of the lame and disappointing things the show was doing, and really just lost all interest in Star Wars overall for several years, there. But yesterday I decided to rewatch the Umbara four-parter, hands-down the best clone story of the show, at least up to that point. It still held up very well on the rewatch, and I figured I'd keep going. I also watched the two episodes where Savage Oppress reunited with Darth Maul; those held up somewhat better than I'd remembered (I hated them the first time) and then the one where Maul hires some of Hondo's pirates. I'm far less cynical than I was in 2011, and actually able to enjoy the show now instead of getting caught up in the wants and expectations I had back then.

Next I'm skipping ahead to 'Eminence', where Maul allies with the Death Watch. I never made it this far during the show's original run, having dropped out somewhere during the story with Ashoka and the Younglings. So from here on, I'm in uncharted territory. I'm not going to watch everything, since chances are most episodes will be irrelevant crap, but I just want to hit the important points. Episodes focused on the clones, Maul, and Ahsoka's overall story are my priorities, but I'll take anything that's good. Anyone have any recommendations?

Added in 1 hour 58 minutes 45 seconds:
Well, then. I, uh, might owe Clone Wars an apology. I just got done with the Maul on Mandalore three-parter, and it kinda blew my face off. 'The Lawless', in particular. Wow. I HATED Lucas's Mandalore back in the day for getting the final Imperial Commando novel cancelled. That hatred has cooled to a dull bitterness now, but it was still deeply satisfying to watch the pacifist experiment crumble and Maul execute Duchess Satine. :twisted: The epic action, kickass duel between Maul and the Death Watch leader, and Sidious (!!!) casually schooling Maul and Savage at the same time were incredible, too. I had no idea Savage was removed from the picture so quickly, and I never would have guessed it happened like it did. Wow. Man, I jumped ship at exactly the wrong and right time; I don't know how I would have reacted to all of this back when it was first airing. It's probably a good thing I waited. I'm in a better place to be able to appreciate it now.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And I watched the four-parter with Ahsoka on trial. I already knew the basics of how it ended, who the real culprit was, but it was still an enjoyable ride to watch it unfold. I have to say, the writing in this show really stepped up in the later seasons. I guess all the crappy filler in the middle was just killing time until they were in position to deliver the big story beats. Once that time came, they pulled out all the stops, and the show finally became properly entertaining. I very rarely binge watch anything, but I've gone through thirteen episodes in a day and I still want more. :lol:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Just wait until you get to the series finale arc.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And I'm done with the Fives brain chip arc. Good episodes, very well written and everything. I don't particularly like this explanation for Order 66, though. I'll reserve full judgement until I get to the end of the show, but my initial reaction is that it's unnecessary. Clones bred to be obedient and drilled from birth to take orders automatically and without question was explanation enough. When the Commander in Chief says jump, they ask how high on the way up, and their personal feelings aren't even factors. There were a few rebellious free thinkers in the books, and that pretty well solves any plausibility issues. Most people reflexively do what's easy, a few are strong enough to do what's right. That version of the story worked perfectly fine, for me. And it was made even more plausible by Karen Traviss's explanation that Palpatine covered his bases by flooding the army with a huge number of flash-grown clones at the end of the war, barely-trained rookies a year old who hadn't had time to develop free will or get to know the Jedi yet; for them, it really was just another order to follow.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:52 am And I'm done with the Fives brain chip arc. Good episodes, very well written and everything. I don't particularly like this explanation for Order 66, though. I'll reserve full judgement until I get to the end of the show, but my initial reaction is that it's unnecessary. Clones bred to be obedient and drilled from birth to take orders automatically and without question was explanation enough. When the Commander in Chief says jump, they ask how high on the way up, and their personal feelings aren't even factors. There were a few rebellious free thinkers in the books, and that pretty well solves any plausibility issues. Most people reflexively do what's easy, a few are strong enough to do what's right. That version of the story worked perfectly fine, for me. And it was made even more plausible by Karen Traviss's explanation that Palpatine covered his bases by flooding the army with a huge number of flash-grown clones at the end of the war, barely-trained rookies a year old who hadn't had time to develop free will or get to know the Jedi yet; for them, it really was just another order to follow.
The chips make more sense later on in the stroy.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Finally started Book of Boba Fett the other week, and it's fun. But it is definitely another case of a series riding high on nostalgia-bait and little else (It's almost like The Last Jedi was on to something when it said to put the past aside). But I like that they've expanded on elements, like making Fett and actual, likable character. But my biggest takeaway is...
Spoiler:
MAX REBO LIVES!!!!
And that ends my contribution to this thread.

Oh, and I am finally slowly making my way through The Clone Wars all the way through for the first time. No idea when I'll finish it (Only on Season 1), but I'm in no rush.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

So..the first 4 episodes of Book of Boba Fett were...decent...okay...fairly good at best with a few elements that were just terrible.

Episode 5 was exceptional.

I like that this "Post-Original Saga Mando-Verse" of Star Wars isn't letting things feel separate. It isn't "Oh here is the Mandalorian in its corner, and then the Boba Fett show is sort of its own thing in its corner...and then the Ahsoka thing will be its own thing over here...then they might all cross over for some kind of event series"

Instead it is like one, big, linear series with different arcs...but always progressing the overall story forward. You have 16 chapters of The Mandalorian arc, then the next arc is The Book of Boba Fett....but it is still moving the timeline forward in a pretty linear fashion.

It isn't disconnected...The Mandalorian Arc includes the return/new introduction of characters like Boba Fett, Bo Katan, and Ahsoka...and it is essential backstory you MUST watch before moving onto The Book of Boba Fett, and Book of Boba IS the next essential arc for the overall story. You will not just be able to 'skip over' Book of Boba Fett and jump to Mando Season 3 or Ahsoka or something.

It feels like these shows are all linear sequels to each other, and that while each character may get an arc that focuses on them....all of the main characters freely appear as needed across any given arc. You can get a Mandalorian episode with a heavy presence of Ahsoka or Boba Fett, you can get a Book of Boba Fett episode centered entirely around another character, and may see other major characters take center stage during certain episodes of the Ahsoka series, etc etc

It is much more organic and unified than the typical way TV shows get approached....like "Oh Green Arrow has a show, and Flash has a show, and they do their own things but then they crossover twice a season" or something like that. It is a lot more mature and nuanced. This whole thing is the next "Star Wars Saga" and stuff like "The Mandalorian" and "Book of Boba Fett" are just the name of individual arcs...but no matter who the 'arc' is focusing on, any major character could take center stage at any time.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

That’s a good point. It’s a much more flexible model of storytelling. I’m down for that as long as they can keep a good quality to it.

Speaking of, the first four episodes of BoBF were a little underwhelming. While I enjoyed them thoroughly and I’m interested in Boba and Fennec as characters, I will agree that they could have been done better. Some elements, such as the speeder chase in the streets, were poorly executed, while others, such as the Tusken flashbacks, were amazingly made. I’m hoping the final two episodes really wrap things up in a good way.

The TLDR of it is that I am currently enjoying the series, but it feels less strong out the gate than Mandalorian was.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

While I appreciate the shows being organically interconnected, I still feel that each should maintain its own sense of perspective and tone, and for me this episode failed to do that.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

I think putting everything that's happening in the show on hold just to put on the season premiere of Mandalorian season 3 is anything but organic. It's a cool episode but it's completely unnecessary and out of place. It feels like they just gave up on making a Boba Fett show and said "fuck it, let's go back to Mandalorian" lol.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillavsZilla wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:14 am I think putting everything that's happening in the show on hold just to put on the season premiere of Mandalorian season 3 is anything but organic. It's a cool episode but it's completely unnecessary and out of place. It feels like they just gave up on making a Boba Fett show and said "fuck it, let's go back to Mandalorian" lol.
Oh, I agree! I think significantly interweaving the two makes sense as an organic choice, but I think the way it was handled felt tremendously inorganic.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Agreed. I especially find it egregious that it's a 40+ minute episode and the overarching story doesn't even come into play until the last two or three minutes. I figured after the initial job, Mando would head to Tatooine. But nope, we basically get exactly what GVZ said: Mando S3E1.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:38 am Agreed. I especially find it egregious that it's a 40+ minute episode and the overarching story doesn't even come into play until the last two or three minutes. I figured after the initial job, Mando would head to Tatooine. But nope, we basically get exactly what GVZ said: Mando S3E1.
I think this could have been partly mitigated if the previous episode had ended with Fennec arriving with Mando, and then this episode had been framed as a flashback.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think a complete check up with Din would even be 100% necessary. They could have just shown him do his job, show up on Tatooine, meet up with Fennec again, then him and Boba do something together. Everything else like Din finding his people, getting a new ship, and paying tribute to an awful movie could have been saved until the actual third season of The Mandalorian.

Heck, they could have done it like the Boba Fett episode in season 2. Just have him be there, hired to help Boba, everything else could just be later. There could be a line or two for him to say "Here's some stuff that happened after the finale", but spending almost 50 minutes on an episode that feels like it should have been on a different show is overkill.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
On my wall. ;)
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

A lot will depend on whether or not that material has any specific payoff in the remaining episodes of BoBF.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

eabaker wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:20 pm A lot will depend on whether or not that material has any specific payoff in the remaining episodes of BoBF.
Oh absolutely. I'm thinking it'll just be Din showing up in the last, or second to last episode and helping out for however long he'll be there. Though, I feel like the point of him needing to come back could be avoided if he was just hired from the start like how I think it should have gone, but we'll have to see how it's executed.

It's just wild how there's an actual Boba Fett show that was made, something that I think people have wanted when they were kids, and there's an episode that doesn't even involve Boba Fett.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
On my wall. ;)

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Spoilers for Book Of Boba Fett's newest episode...
Spoiler:
Luke telling Grogu that he can't keep his "attachment" to Din Djarin is kinda lame. And frankly I NEVER liked that bit of lore with the Jedi. Luke cared about people and had friends. Grogu cant? For fuck's sake in A New Hope Obi Wan referred to Anakin as a good friend. So Jedi aren't allowed friends now? Ugh.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I know this might be really controversial, but I really dislike the Sequel Trilogy of Star Wars films. They’re a disappointing, lackluster, and unimaginative follow up to something that was the complete opposite.

I really, really don’t want to sound like those loser conspiracy theory channels on YouTube (you know who I’m talking about), but I’m kinda hoping that this “Mandoverse” will softly ignore the future sequels and give its own unique follow up to ROTJ.

Besides that, I’m somewhat enjoying BoBF so far, even if the Boba Fett episodes haven’t been as spectacular as I have wished for them to be. I feel like Mando has become the new Boba at this point, which I’m more than fine with. :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:14 am I know this might be really controversial, but I really dislike the Sequel Trilogy of Star Wars films. They’re a disappointing, lackluster, and unimaginative follow up to something that was the complete opposite.

I really, really don’t want to sound like those loser conspiracy theory channels on YouTube (you know who I’m talking about), but I’m kinda hoping that this “Mandoverse” will softly ignore the future sequels and give its own unique follow up to ROTJ.

Besides that, I’m somewhat enjoying BoBF so far, even if the Boba Fett episodes haven’t been as spectacular as I have wished for them to be. I feel like Mando has become the new Boba at this point, which I’m more than fine with. :lol:
I would seriously be in favor of exploring a type of Star Wars multiverse. I'll take anything to get away from the sequels. I did not care for them either.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:14 am I know this might be really controversial, but I really dislike the Sequel Trilogy of Star Wars films.
I think the opposite is way more controversial these days.