DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The full Batman theme has been released.

https://youtu.be/Cwcinb2OxUo
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

https://twitter.com/OneTakeNews/status/ ... 1254752265

Runtime has been revealed for The Batman.

Also.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/369 ... ror-movie/

Before you all complain about the runtime. Remember Zack Snyder's Justice League was 4 HOURS LONG and many folks considers that the DCEU's best film. Also The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises both nearly three hours long, people considers that the best Batman films.

Kind of apples and oranges too but the Lord of the Rings movies are over three-hour-long epics and people love those.

Give this movie a chance, it has yet to have released. For all we know it could be paced well.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Who’s complaining about runtime? Why does it need to be defended?

I think most people understand that a film should be however long it needs to be to tell its story well.

In my experience most people who complain about runtime of a film they’ve seen usually really mean pacing but don’t know the right term to use. And the people who complain about the length of a film before they’ve even seen it are usually just morons who complain about all kinds of things they don’t know anything about.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, in all fairness, long movies can be inconvenient to deal with. Trying to get young kids to sit still and be quiet in a theater for that long, for example, would be brutal. It's tough for people with tight schedules to devote three+ hours (the whole theater experience taken into account) to going to see a movie; I still haven't seen NWH for that reason. Attention spans are short as fuck these days, hence the rise of short-form videos. Etc. There are actual non-art-related concerns here.

But this is still an obvious case of the entertainment media grasping at straws to generate some kind of controversy. I don't remember anyone complaining about Endgame's runtime.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

For if The Batman is a success. I want one of the sequels having Killer Croc as its main villain.

Croc would fit in with this movies dark tone and vibe. The idea of this cannibalistic almost seemingly non-human killer and eating unsuspecting victims as he lurks and lives in the sewers of Gotham as Batman investigates these grisly murders and actually being depicted as this serious threat rather then the joke he's depicted as in most DC media.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Anyone else watching Peacemaker? Only watched the first episode so far but it was pretty fun. Also there’s a pretty funny exchange which I'm sure Godzilla fans would get a kick out of.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:42 am Anyone else watching Peacemaker? Only watched the first episode so far but it was pretty fun. Also there’s a pretty funny exchange which I'm sure Godzilla fans would get a kick out of.
I was gonna start watching it yesterday but then ended up having a slog of a day. Might get around to it next week.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:43 am For if The Batman is a success. I want one of the sequels having Killer Croc as its main villain.

Croc would fit in with this movies dark tone and vibe. The idea of this cannibalistic almost seemingly non-human killer and eating unsuspecting victims as he lurks and lives in the sewers of Gotham as Batman investigates these grisly murders and actually being depicted as this serious threat rather then the joke he's depicted as in most DC media.
I'm not sure a massive human crocodile hybrid killing people and living in the sewers is the most logical next step after a serial killer and a mobster.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:57 amI'm not sure a massive human crocodile hybrid killing people and living in the sewers is the most logical next step after a serial killer and a mobster.
Eh, guess a guy can dream at least then.

It'd just be nice to see Killer Croc get his time to shrine.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:38 pm
Maritonic wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:57 amI'm not sure a massive human crocodile hybrid killing people and living in the sewers is the most logical next step after a serial killer and a mobster.
Eh, guess a guy can dream at least then.

It'd just be nice to see Killer Croc get his time to shrine.
No doubt there. I'd love to see a dark and scary Croc.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Since Gunn confirmed that TDK is alive but in critical condition. I want a HBOMax DCEU series where he and Weasel becomes Corto Maltese's protectors.

Just the idea of Weasel dragging TDK around in the jungle as well as TDK teaching Weasel about "justice". :lol:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

https://deadline-com.cdn.ampproject.org ... 4921004%2F

Give me that TDK and Weasel: Protectors of Corto Maltese spin-off goddammit!

Although I'd also settle for a King Shark and Ratcatcher 2 spin-off.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The overall future direction of DC films is not what I imagined DC to be. But growing up alongside the TDK trilogy and the Snyderverse, (and later Joker ofc) I guess I just expected more "epic" than whatever tone it is Gunn's DC aims for. I heard it once described as R rated content with the humor of a ten year old, and I can't see it as much else anymore.

I am however hyped for Matt Reeves The Batman. So here's hoping WB'll see why fans want epic, serious, storytelling for DC. We get enough of the alternative from the other guys.

I'm just not a big fan of universes that stand around with the "Well that just happened!" moments sprinkled in.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The thing I appreciate about DC's approach is that they're not tied down to any one style/tone. I may not care for Snyder's work, for example, but I'm totally the guy Birds of Prey was made for. I wish more franchises would take the "something for everybody" approach, rather than monotonously hewing close to a "house style."
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:48 am The thing I appreciate about DC's approach is that they're not tied down to any one style/tone. I may not care for Snyder's work, for example, but I'm totally the guy Birds of Prey was made for. I wish more franchises would take the "something for everybody" approach, rather than monotonously hewing close to a "house style."
I can mostly agree with this, and I think as a Star Wars fan, I've noticed levity can be balanced well with even the darkest of tones within a single unified universe.

We can have the destruction of Alderaan still hit us in the feels, jedi losing their way due to their feelings of betrayal, or clone troopers stuck in an endless lie, dying in a war lost from the very beginning. Yet, still have it blend with the more light hearted, smaller stories we see from droids and/or other characters.

Long-winded way of me saying tonal variety within a film franchise is ideal. But we have to find a way to balance these stories out cohesively, across all audiences. I feel like WB has yet to figure out how to do this effectively.

Me personally, big fan of the introspective psychological study stuff that DC masters. But I understand many want that comic booky light hearted stuff as well. So if we could maybe get that DC Black label, once rumored a while back, for their darker films, I'd be much happier. Plus Snyder's stories could continue to exist within a separate label, no harm done to the current.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:10 am The overall future direction of DC films is not what I imagined DC to be. But growing up alongside the TDK trilogy and the Snyderverse, (and later Joker ofc) I guess I just expected more "epic" than whatever tone it is Gunn's DC aims for. I heard it once described as R rated content with the humor of a ten year old, and I can't see it as much else anymore.

I am however hyped for Matt Reeves The Batman. So here's hoping WB'll see why fans want epic, serious, storytelling for DC. We get enough of the alternative from the other guys.

I'm just not a big fan of universes that stand around with the "Well that just happened!" moments sprinkled in.
I've liked The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker is killing it, but they do feel a lot like an R rated MCU. Which is fine, there's an audience for R rated MCU, but I'm getting tired of superhero movies having to feel like the MCU. The Batman is the most exciting for me. Yes, a lot of people are moaning "a dark Batman movie again? Isn't that tiring?" But he's the only superhero who does dark movies anymore. It's same old Batman, but different from the rest of the genre right now.
eabaker wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:48 am The thing I appreciate about DC's approach is that they're not tied down to any one style/tone. I may not care for Snyder's work, for example, but I'm totally the guy Birds of Prey was made for. I wish more franchises would take the "something for everybody" approach, rather than monotonously hewing close to a "house style."
Same. I liked the Snyder films alright, but not a lot. But I'm also the type of guy Birds of Prey was made for, but I also liked Shazam. It's a range of styles and ratings the MCU can never have. Don't get me wrong, I like the MCU like everyone else, but it's all just so same-y all the time. The genre needs more variety beyond what race, gender, and powers are on display of the hero, tones and styles need to be changed up some to. Every film feeling like every other film in a shared universe gets monotonous after a while.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

https://www.cbr.com/joker-sequel-joaqui ... ming-2023/

Looks like Joker 2 is happening after all. I'm excited.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:36 pm https://www.cbr.com/joker-sequel-joaqui ... ming-2023/

Ehhh... Joker was very good, I liked it a lot as its own side experiment, but I'm not interested in seeing it end up as a franchise. This particular incarnation of the character is too downtrodden and tragic to make for a likable villain. I don't want to see him match wits with Batman and cackle while he revels in murder and destruction, because I know how he came to be where he is. It was a black, bleak, deeply sad journey, nothing funny about it at all. And while the things he does may not be funny, the Joker himself should be. Heath Ledger's Joker was hilarious. Joaquin Phoenix's Joker was aggressively unfunny.

And before anyone assumes this makes me an MCU shill that needs a fart joke every thirty seconds, no. I'm all for serious, even dark tones in DC's films, where appropriate. I'm just asking for a Joker that feels more traditional, if he's going to star in a franchise.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:53 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:36 pm https://www.cbr.com/joker-sequel-joaqui ... ming-2023/

Ehhh... Joker was very good, I liked it a lot as its own side experiment, but I'm not interested in seeing it end up as a franchise. This particular incarnation of the character is too downtrodden and tragic to make for a likable villain. I don't want to see him match wits with Batman and cackle while he revels in murder and destruction, because I know how he came to be where he is. It was a black, bleak, deeply sad journey, nothing funny about it at all. And while the things he does may not be funny, the Joker himself should be. Heath Ledger's Joker was hilarious. Joaquin Phoenix's Joker was aggressively unfunny.

And before anyone assumes this makes me an MCU shill that needs a fart joke every thirty seconds, no. I'm all for serious, even dark tones in DC's films, where appropriate. I'm just asking for a Joker that feels more traditional, if he's going to star in a franchise.
To each their own - I'm interested in seeing where it goes next, so I do want it to be a franchise I guess? I mean, we're going to get other versions of Joker anyways, probably one of The Batman sequels will have a new take, so it's not like we're losing anything with this version. As for Joker being funny and all, eh, depends? I don't know, I just know that I trust Phillips and Phoenix. I don't think they'd be doing it unless they have another story to tell, no matter how much money WB throws at them. And if they feel like they've another Joker story to tell, after delivering last time? I'm all in.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Fair. Hey, if they pull a second movie off, I'll definitely give it a watch. I'd love for it to be great and succeed again. Even if he's not entirely my cup of tea, it is cool that WB is willing to experiment with the character like this, and able to step outside of tradition without botching him like they did Superman and Batman.