DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
17%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
48%

Total votes: 42

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by canofhumdingers »

The Batman looks great! I’m not in love with the Batsuit but that’s fine. I don’t hate it and it certainly hits all the typical requirements to look like Batman. But I prefer more muscular/organic looking suits like ‘89 and the first Batfleck suit from BvS. I’d actually LOVE to see a modern live action blue and grey suit.

But I’ll stop going down that rabbit hole. The trailer looks awesome. The film looks like it’s going to be pure eye candy. I agree all the sunrise/set shots look gorgeous. As does pretty much everything else. Very excited to finally see a (hopefully) good live action version of The Riddler! I mean, Frank Gorshin was pretty good in the Adam West show, but that was over 50 years ago!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

The 2010s belonged to Marvel, but the 2020s will belong to DC.

No matter what, Marvel films exist within the parameters any blockbuster distributed by Disney must exist in. DC films are able to have much more freedom. It leads to films that can be horrible messes or completely over-rated nothingburgers like The Suicide Squad.....but it can also lead to absolute masterpieces like Joker and, when allowed, Snyder's Justice League.

DC can play in areas Marvel simply is allowed to any more, and that makes their future much more exciting. The MCU will keep doing what the MCU has done for the last 13 years, only it will be less fresh and more repetitive and stale. DC can potentially give us 3-5 more unique masterpieces like Joker. We might get a new iconic Batman trilogy. We might see the DC multi-verse and/or Snyderverse make a huge franchise comeback separate from all of that. We could get a one-off Batman Beyond movie that launches a completely new future era for the character or larger DC world.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

"When that light hits the sky, it's not just a call. It's a warning."

Okay, you have my attention! And yes, the music in the trailer was really cool. I hope it makes it into the actual film.

Edit: I butchered the quote and had to fix it.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'll be the first to say it, not really excited for The Batman especially at 3 hours long. Going to be a day 1 when it releases for rental.

I'll be more excited when Superman shows something new.

The Smallville panel was the beat thing for me DCwise and hearing they might he doing something in that arena.

Added in 1 minute 6 seconds:
Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:01 am The 2010s belonged to Marvel, but the 2020s will belong to DC.

No matter what, Marvel films exist within the parameters any blockbuster distributed by Disney must exist in. DC films are able to have much more freedom. It leads to films that can be horrible messes or completely over-rated nothingburgers like The Suicide Squad.....but it can also lead to absolute masterpieces like Joker and, when allowed, Snyder's Justice League.

DC can play in areas Marvel simply is allowed to any more, and that makes their future much more exciting. The MCU will keep doing what the MCU has done for the last 13 years, only it will be less fresh and more repetitive and stale. DC can potentially give us 3-5 more unique masterpieces like Joker. We might get a new iconic Batman trilogy. We might see the DC multi-verse and/or Snyderverse make a huge franchise comeback separate from all of that. We could get a one-off Batman Beyond movie that launches a completely new future era for the character or larger DC world.
I'd rather 6 good oreos than 2 good new cookies and 4 what they hell were they thinking cookies. DC is a I'll believe when I see it.

Added in 41 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm BOP has to be one of the worst superhero films of the past 20 years. Everyone looks like a crackhead, and their main baddy had the personality of a colorful swiffer sweeper. The plot was about hot potato'ing some kid, and pooping out a diamond, while Harley tries to find an egg sandwich.

Everyone was in name only imo.
How much worse was it than WW84. WW84 hurt after the first one was so fun.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:18 pm Added in 41 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm BOP has to be one of the worst superhero films of the past 20 years. Everyone looks like a crackhead, and their main baddy had the personality of a colorful swiffer sweeper. The plot was about hot potato'ing some kid, and pooping out a diamond, while Harley tries to find an egg sandwich.

It was much, much, much better than WW84.

The things that JNavs points out are largely matters of personal taste/preference. It was objectively a much better structured, more thematically coherent movie than WW84.

From a personal aesthetic standpoint, it's easily my favorite DCEU movie in terms of both tone and visual style.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:01 am No matter what, Marvel films exist within the parameters any blockbuster distributed by Disney must exist in. DC films are able to have much more freedom. It leads to films that can be horrible messes or completely over-rated nothingburgers like The Suicide Squad.....but it can also lead to absolute masterpieces like Joker and, when allowed, Snyder's Justice League.
Switch The Suicide Squad and Snyder's Justice League around in that statement and that's basically where I'm at too yeah (no crack meant there on the TSS/ZSJL thing, just different tastes). My favorite MCU film of all time is Iron Man - for me, they never really topped their first film, and I think that's largely because I've never felt like they've done anything that different from Iron Man. It all feels kind of samey to me. I like the MCU, I like it a lot, but it's become sort of a disposable form of popcorn movie to me, it never lingers with me after I'm done with it. DC has been very hit and miss for me, but when they hit, it actually kind of resonates for a while. I stopped rewatching MCU films years ago, but I'm still rewatching Joker from time to time.

I disagree that the 2020s belong to DC, I think Marvel has established itself as they #1 for the public and nothing is going to change that, but purely on a personal and subjective level I'm far more interested in what DC will do.

Added in 10 minutes 18 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:18 pm I'll be the first to say it, not really excited for The Batman especially at 3 hours long. Going to be a day 1 when it releases for rental.

I'll be more excited when Superman shows something new.
Eh, I'm kind of skeptical about their Superman plans on film - the reboot allegedly is going in the direction of a black Clark Kent as a period piece (1930s I think?), which sounds kind of weird to begin with, and the writer Coates apparently isn't well liked by comic fans (apparently his Black Panther run was controversial in a not-good way).

Good news is the tv show Superman & Lois had a surprisingly good season one if you want to check that out, and the upcoming cartoon My Adventures with Supermanlooks like it will be good when it comes out.

I'm actually really excited for The Batman, especially if we're lucky enough to get the 3 hours long cut, but different strokes I guess.

Added in 5 minutes 5 seconds:
eabaker wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:27 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:18 pm Added in 41 seconds:

It was much, much, much better than WW84.

The things that JNavs points out are largely matters of personal taste/preference. It was objectively a much better structured, more thematically coherent movie than WW84.

From a personal aesthetic standpoint, it's easily my favorite DCEU movie in terms of both tone and visual style.
Pretty much this, matter of taste and preference. Especially the kind of misogynistic knock against the actresses' looks some people bring up. It's one of my favorite DCEU films, I thought it was a super fun fast paced little R thrill ride myself. Just didn't get the complaints, except maybe from the comics fans who wanted a more true to comics take on the BOP team (with Babs) or a faithful adaptation of Cass Cain. And even then, it still mostly leaves the Birds in a good place to become like they are in the comics.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

And as a comics fan, my thoughts on the BOP were that they behaved, acted and looked, nothing like their source. Again, it all comes down to personal preference as Eabaker mentioned. I also thought WW84 was atrocious.

And touching on one of the stranger comments, an utter disdain for design choice doesn't make someone misogynistic lol. Did I expect bikinis? No.

I expected costumes, not homeless wear.

It's like if a Catwoman movie was just Selina in sweatpants and a hoodie. Or Batman but he wears a tanktop, jeans, and throws pocket knives shaped like bats.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Before today I didn't even know Cassandra Cain was in BOP, instead of doing that why not just make an original character to be in the film?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:58 pm And as a comics fan, my thoughts on the BOP were that they behaved, acted and looked, nothing like their source. Again, it all comes down to personal preference as Eabaker mentioned. I also thought WW84 was atrocious.

And touching on one of the stranger comments, an utter disdain for design choice doesn't make someone misogynistic lol. Did I expect bikinis? No.

It's like if a Catwoman movie was just Selina in sweatpants and a hoodie. Or Batman but he wears a tanktop, jeans, and throws pocket knives shaped like bats.
I didn't say you - I was referring to other reviews and comments I read online that had nothing to do with costume choices but were squarely aimed at the "sexiness" or lack thereof of the actual actresses chosen. There was...more of that than you'd expect.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:20 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:58 pm And as a comics fan, my thoughts on the BOP were that they behaved, acted and looked, nothing like their source. Again, it all comes down to personal preference as Eabaker mentioned. I also thought WW84 was atrocious.

I didn't say you - I was referring to other reviews and comments I read online that had nothing to do with costume choices but were squarely aimed at the "sexiness" or lack thereof of the actual actresses chosen. There was...more of that than you'd expect.
Oh okay my bad. I figured the timing of the comment was intentional. Yeah I don't think the film needed to be sexualized, but I'd be lying if I said the characters themselves aren't typically sexualized in some of their best works.

Though I'd argue its more for the body empowerment than male-gaze related. People like seeing beautiful people.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:53 pm
Vakanai wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:20 pm

Oh okay my bad. I figured the timing of the comment was intentional. Yeah I don't think the film needed to be sexualized, but I'd be lying if I said the characters themselves aren't typically sexualized in some of their best works.

Though I'd argue its more for the body empowerment than male-gaze related. People like seeing beautiful people.
I read some opinions that were, to put it bluntly, very ageist about the actress picked for Montoya, never mind some of what was said about Black Canary or the Huntress. To a degree I can get where some fans were coming from about costumes or how those roles were scripted, like Cass being in name only, but some reviews at the time were ugly and just...oof. I had my problems with Black Canary's costume (I didn't expect the fishnet stockings, but still something closer to her comic book look) but I thought the actress looked fine, but some people acted like they picked "ugly" actresses not to upstage Robbie Margot.

Anyways, while not comic book faithful, I thought the film was a hoot, fun in all the right ways with some kick butt action and an ok plot.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The Batman trailer 3. Probably the best one yet.

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/wcrvbKE2wYY[/YouTube]
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

That looks great! I’m currently playing the Batman TellTale video game and it looks like this may have some very similar story beats, especially with Catwoman. And that’s not a bad thing, the TellTale game is quite good.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I’m not really excited for the new Batman movie, it just doesn’t look good in my eyes

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:05 am I’m not really excited for the new Batman movie, it just doesn’t look good in my eyes
Why is that?
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:00 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:05 am I’m not really excited for the new Batman movie, it just doesn’t look good in my eyes
Why is that?
It just doesn’t look good to me. Yes there’s some Seems that I do like but it just looks underwhelming In some areas
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Saw the second trailer with no way home and I'm finally curious about The Batman. I don't think Rob Pat Batman looks good with Zoe Catwoman however.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Still the comic book movie I'm most excited for. Looks like the Batman movie I've wanted ever since the end of The Dark Knight.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Supposed runtime for The Batman is 2 hours and 55 minutes.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:20 pm Still the comic book movie I'm most excited for. Looks like the Batman movie I've wanted ever since the end of The Dark Knight.
Ditto here. This and Black Adam are my most anticipated comic book films this year.