The Star Trek Thread (All TV & Movies)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: The Star Trek Thread (All TV & Movies)

Post by Godzilla21 »

Gojira1604 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:43 am Did Anyone else see, regarding Picard season 2:
Spoiler:
John De Lancie's Tweet
?
Yes. I still haven't seen Picard and based on what I've heard I don't really feel the need to.

Just finished a Voyager binge. That show gets a lot of grief but I enjoyed it. It just became the biggest crowd funded documentary of all time. On to Enterprise.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

No but sure looking forward to season two!
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:19 pm Yes. I still haven't seen Picard and based on what I've heard I don't really feel the need to.

Just finished a Voyager binge. That show gets a lot of grief but I enjoyed it. It just became the biggest crowd funded documentary of all time. On to Enterprise.
Let us know what you think of Enterprise!
고질라

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Enterprise was a disappointment when it was new and I didn't think much of it when re-watching it in the late 2000s, either. Earlier this year, however, I watched a lot of those episodes and... I actually had fun with it. The tip to surviving ENT is to just role your eyes whenever the showrunners tried to make it too sexy or edgy (or, often, both) and remember that was their foolish attempt at keeping the franchise relevant after oversaturating the TV landscape.

But yeah, if you can look past that (and I understand if you can't), then I don't think ENT is nearly as bad as its reputation suggests. It's kinda like Voyager: I think both are firmly the worst Trek shows (I can't speak for anything made after Star Trek Beyond) but they still usually present an enjoyable hour of TV.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Terasawa, this one's going out to you man
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:31 pm Enterprise was a disappointment when it was new and I didn't think much of it when re-watching it in the late 2000s, either. Earlier this year, however, I watched a lot of those episodes and... I actually had fun with it. The tip to surviving ENT is to just role your eyes whenever the showrunners tried to make it too sexy or edgy (or, often, both) and remember that was their foolish attempt at keeping the franchise relevant after oversaturating the TV landscape.

But yeah, if you can look past that (and I understand if you can't), then I don't think ENT is nearly as bad as its reputation suggests. It's kinda like Voyager: I think both are firmly the worst Trek shows (I can't speak for anything made after Star Trek Beyond) but they still usually present an enjoyable hour of TV.
ENT plays with nostalgia and fanservice while still having some fun ideas. There's some bleh episodes (like the Footloose/Seven Samurai Klingon episode) and at parts it feels rushed, but it has some stand out episodes. I like that the climax of the series is against a Xenophobic Earthman and it takes unique advantage of its setting by getting around not having so firmly established rules. I think the first two seasons had some good episodes, and then the Xindi arc was fantastic. Good mix of ongoing plot but also stand alone episodes. Fun alien designs all around.

I like the T'pol, Archer and Tucker dynamic. I'd say I like ENT more than Voyager, just because it does more with four seasons than VOY does with seven. Then again I need to rewatch.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Xindi was definitely the peak for Enterprise. I think one of the missed opportunities was enhanced exploration of the politics and ethics between humans and the growing number of diplomatic relationships being formed. It would represent a period of great change as Earth didn't have as much experience in these matters. Seeing humans fail in this as well but learn would've been rewarding.
고질라

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Tohosaurus wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:16 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:19 pm Yes. I still haven't seen Picard and based on what I've heard I don't really feel the need to.

Let us know what you think of Enterprise!
I actually already finished it! The benefits of working from home and having a TV next to your desk.

I did enjoy the series as a whole more than I thought I would. I loved season 3 with the Xindi angle and actually thought season 4 was a bit of a letdown from 3. I enjoyed the crew and the relationships that were developing. It feels like they were starting to really hit a stride. Archer was a good captain but he's not up there with Kirk or Picard for me. The "sexy" bits made me a laugh as its so obvious they were trying something new to keep the fans and interest afloat. I really thought a season 5 focusing on the Romulans and having Shran come on full time would have been amazing but alas, didn't happen. And the finale with fat Riker and botox Troi was very disheartening to see. Although I did love seeing the Enteprise D in beautiful CGI. Gave me goosebumps when I first saw it. Overall, I say its worthy of a binge.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:02 pm I loved season 3 with the Xindi angle and actually thought season 4 was a bit of a letdown from 3. I enjoyed the crew and the relationships that were developing. It feels like they were starting to really hit a stride. Archer was a good captain but he's not up there with Kirk or Picard for me. The "sexy" bits made me a laugh as its so obvious they were trying something new to keep the fans and interest afloat. I really thought a season 5 focusing on the Romulans and having Shran come on full time would have been amazing but alas, didn't happen. And the finale with fat Riker and botox Troi was very disheartening to see. Although I did love seeing the Enteprise D in beautiful CGI. Gave me goosebumps when I first saw it. Overall, I say its worthy of a binge.
Right!?

Makes you wonder what could've been..... :shrug:
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Thu May 27, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Odo or Data, who's the better MVP?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Ever since 2009, this franchise has been run by people who are either actively indifferent towards or flat-out dislike it.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:00 pm Ever since 2009, this franchise has been run by people who are either actively indifferent towards or flat-out dislike it.
Sad. :-x

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Rankin' the movies I saw so far:
The Motion Picture: 5/10
The Wrath of Khan: 7/10
The Search for Spock: 6/10
The Voyage Home: 8/10
The Final Frontier: 7/10
The Undiscovered Country: 6/10
Generations: 9/10
First Contact: 8/10
Insurrection: 9/10

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:00 pm Ever since 2009, this franchise has been run by people who are either actively indifferent towards or flat-out dislike it.
Agreed. I'll give the 09 movie this, it was an entry point for my into the series and it got me to give TOS a try and I enjoyed it and TNG.

But as quickly as I was able to get into this franchise....the "Kelvin" sequels, STD and Picard really pushed me back out. Not trying to be a hater or anything, but there was a brief window there where I WAS a Star Trek fan, but I'm not any more.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I haven't watched Picard Season 2 or Discovery Season 4, but I will shortly.

However, I can really recommend to everyone here who is dissatisfied with recent Trek to watch Star Trek Prodigy. Even though it's aimed at a younger audience, it's very effective at having a similar feel as TNG/DS9/VOY. I recommend watching at least four episodes.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I honestly won’t be surprised if South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone could do a good Star Trek cartoon.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'm glad to see that the Director's Edition of the original Star Trek film is getting a top-to-bottom rebuild in 4K, as the original Director's Edition was only ever created in Standard Definition, and thus never released on anything beyond DVD. The Director's Edition is a much more polished version of the film.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Super pumped, just grabbed tickets for me and two friends for The Motion Picture! Everything I've seen of the restoration is phenomenal.
On a side note, it's about time people recognize TMP for the classic it is. That's always the one I heard people rag on for being "boring." But jeez, it's just such a visual treat.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:08 am Super pumped, just grabbed tickets for me and two friends for The Motion Picture! Everything I've seen of the restoration is phenomenal.
On a side note, it's about time people recognize TMP for the classic it is. That's always the one I heard people rag on for being "boring." But jeez, it's just such a visual treat.
Yeah, I love the look of the movie, as well as its overall tone and atmosphere, and I think the director's edition has a very effective, deliberate pace.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

The first two episodes of Strange New Worlds I've found pretty good. Not as gripping yet as say some latter DS9 episodes I've recently viewed but pretty good.