DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by Jermobooka »

Y’know…I’ve started to come around to BvS. I actually really enjoy if for the most part. Hell, I can even somewhat tolerate ‘ol Bat-Punisher and Super-depressed.

I still believe that Snyder should’ve made a The Dark Knight Returns adaptation for a Batman solo film showing Bruce’s true downfall before BvS, though.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

With each passing day I get more and more excited for The Batman. It looks and feels like the Batman movie I’ve wanted for the longest time.

It seems they’ll be doing a lot of world-building for Matt Reeves’ Gotham, now that the GCPD and Penguin HBO Max series’ have been announced, and I’m ALL for it.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

A new trailer in just a few weeks. Definitely has my interest.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I thought Man of Steel was okay. Nothing special; some great action scenes and fun villains hampered by a strange story structure, a dull protagonist, and the unforgivable tornado scene.

Batman vs Superman made me [i[angry[/i] while watching it. That doesn't happen often, and when it does, it's never a good sign. The titular fight is also one of the worst I've ever seen in a modern-day Superhero movie.

Suicide Squad, the original, was somehow even WORSE than BvS. I struggle to think of a big budget film with editing that fucking horrible.

Wonder Woman was shockingly pretty good. Although the climax left something to be desired, this felt like the first DC film to actually embrace the concept of Superheroes and try to have fun with itself.

Justice League is easily the worst superhero film to come out of the last decade. Jesus fucking christ, I hated it. It's not just as bad as Suicide Squad... it's also a snooze-fest nearly on par with the Godzilla Anime Trilogy on top of all that. This movie scared me off the entire DCCU until literally this year. And for the record, I refuse to see the four hour extended cut. The theatrical cut's runtime was torturous enough. I'm not subjecting myself to four fucking hours of that.

I only saw Aquaman this year, and only as a movie night with friends (I would have never touched it otherwise). Suprisingly, it's... okay. It's got some fun moments, but feels so crammed with content that the entire movie feels overstuffed and overbloated. It's a bit of a mess, but it's a far cry from most of the earlier entries.

Skipped Shazam.

Skipped Birds of Prey.

Skipped Joker.

Skipped Wonder Woman 1984. I had a cautious interest in it since I liked the first movie, but bad reviews scared me off.

Skipped the Justice League Extended Cut because of COURSE I fucking did.

The Suicide Squad reboot was my first attempt at dipping my toes back into the DCCU of my own violation, after hearing it get fantastic reviews and hearing feedback from friends on discord. Plus, I needed a theatrical movie to see on my birthday in August, and this happened to be out at the time. Gave it a watch, and, sure enough, it proved to be the second DCCU film that's actually really solid. Not all of the humor works, but that's just kind of a James Gunn problem; I have similar criticisms with his Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Slither.

Overall: Wonder Woman > The Suicide Squad reboot > Man of Steel > Aquaman > Batman vs Superman > Suicide Squad original > Justice League
Last edited by Spuro on Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Spuro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:24 pm I thought Man of Steel was okay. Nothing special; some great action scenes and fun villains hampered by a strange story structure, a dull protagonist, and the unforgivable tornado scene.

Batman vs Superman made me [i[angry[/i] while watching it. That doesn't happen often, and when it does, it's never a good sign. The titular fight is also one of the worst I've ever seen in a modern-day Superhero movie.

Suicide Squad, the original, was somehow even WORSE than BvS. I struggle to think of a big budget film with editing that skreeonking horrible.

Wonder Woman was shockingly pretty good. Although the climax left something to be desired, this felt like the first DC film to actually embrace the concept of Superheroes and try to have fun with itself.

Justice League is easily the worst superhero film to come out of the last decade. Jesus skreeonking christ, I hated it. It's not just as bad as Suicide Squad... it's also a snooze-fest nearly on par with the Godzilla Anime Trilogy on top of all that. This movie scared me off the entire DCCU until literally this year. And for the record, I refuse to see the four hour extended cut. The theatrical cut's runtime was torturous enough. I'm not subjecting myself to four skreeonking hours of that.

I only saw Aquaman this year, and only as a movie night with friends (I would have never touched it otherwise). Suprisingly, it's... okay. It's got some fun moments, but feels so crammed with content that the entire movie feels overstuffed and overbloated. It's a bit of a mess, but it's a far cry from most of the earlier entries.

Skipped Shazam.

Skipped Birds of Prey.

Skipped Joker.

Skipped Wonder Woman 1984. I had a cautious interest in it since I liked the first movie, but bad reviews scared me off.

Skipped the Justice League Extended Cut because of COURSE I skreeonking did.

The Suicide Squad reboot was my first attempt at dipping my toes back into the DCCU of my own violation, after hearing it get fantastic reviews and hearing feedback from friends on discord. Plus, I needed a theatrical movie to see on my birthday in August, and this happened to be out at the time. Gave it a watch, and, sure enough, it proved to be the second DCCU film that's actually really solid. Not all of the humor works, but that's just kind of a James Gunn problem; I have similar criticisms with his Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Slither.

Overall: Wonder Woman > The Suicide Squad reboot > Man of Steel > Aquaman > Batman vs Superman > Suicide Squad original > Justice League
Well you watched all of the worst ones, and skipped a couple of the best imo (Shazam and BOP).
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

BOP has to be one of the worst superhero films of the past 20 years. Everyone looks like a crackhead, and their main baddy had the personality of a colorful swiffer sweeper. The plot was about hot potato'ing some kid, and pooping out a diamond, while Harley tries to find an egg sandwich.

Everyone was in name only imo.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:34 pm Well you watched all of the worst ones, and skipped a couple of the best imo (Shazam and BOP).
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm BOP has to be one of the worst superhero films of the past 20 years.

The duality of man. :lol:

I was going to point out that I had seen incredibly mixed reviews on Shazam, BOP, and Joker that hadn’t inspired confidence, but JNavs did a wonderful job of conveying that before I could respond.

At the very least they can’t be as bad as Justice Leage, though. That one was a very special kind of horrible. :freak:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Pic of what seems to be the editing of The Batman from Matt Reeves’ Twitter.

From what little of it we can see, the grapple gun looks great. :)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Shazam was a kids' movie, lighthearted and fun. Pretty competently made, far superior to most DC films in that regard, but ultimately forgettable for me.

Joker was also competently made, but, ah, neither lighthearted nor fun. I liked it when I watched it, but in retrospect it's kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. It's not a good origin story for the Joker, and its portrayal of Thomas Wayne, while 'realistic', was needless and mean-spirited.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm BOP has to be one of the worst superhero films of the past 20 years. Everyone looks like a crackhead, and their main baddy had the personality of a colorful swiffer sweeper. The plot was about hot potato'ing some kid, and pooping out a diamond, while Harley tries to find an egg sandwich.

Everyone was in name only imo.
If you wanted a faithful adaptation of Cass, sure. But ignoring the character adaptation stuff, the movie was fun ride and a heck of a show. More the sort of thing for general fans than comic book fans. It was a fun action movie. I liked it, and the reviews from most have been positive.

Added in 3 minutes 20 seconds:
Spuro wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:51 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:34 pm Well you watched all of the worst ones, and skipped a couple of the best imo (Shazam and BOP).
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm BOP has to be one of the worst superhero films of the past 20 years.

The duality of man. :lol:

I was going to point out that I had seen incredibly mixed reviews on Shazam, BOP, and Joker that hadn’t inspired confidence, but JNavs did a wonderful job of conveying that before I could respond.

At the very least they can’t be as bad as Justice Leage, though. That one was a very special kind of horrible. :freak:
I still recommend watching them - they're fun movies, just divisive because of how fans differ in what they want from these properties rather than the quality of the films I think. You might be one of the people who like them. They're worth watching and deciding on your own just because a lot of people do like them, unlike the films you did watch which largely most people agree sucked.

Added in 1 minute 44 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:54 pm Pic of what seems to be the editing of The Batman from Matt Reeves’ Twitter.

From what little of it we can see, the grapple gun looks great. :)
I think we might've saw that in the teaser. We definitely saw him going up the grapple in the teaser at least...
Last edited by Vakanai on Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

DC FanDome is this weekend. Excited for the new The Batman trailer.

Added in 1 hour 45 minutes 15 seconds:
Word is the final cut is nearly 3 hours long but we'll see if it doesn't get cut down further before release.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:14 am DC FanDome is this weekend. Excited for the new The Batman trailer.
Well, it's out now!

Looking pretty good, especially that car scene at the end.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Fucking incredible looking. I love the sunset shots so much.

Also, confirmed it's present day, given they mention the Riddler livestreaming.

Everything looks great: Peacemaker, Kill The Justice League, Blue Beetle, Black Addam and Static Shock. DC finally taking over Marvel in my book

RIP Evan.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Holy hell. That was awesome. Looks like it’s shaping up to be a damn amazing film. Now I’m just as hyped for The Batman as I am Spider-Man: No Way Home.

Side note, Battinson’s batsuit is already easily one of my favorites. Looks so badass.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Ooooh, i'm loving what i'm seeing! Pattison's shaping up to be a really good Batman.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Meh. I'm pretty tired of live-action Batman in general - no matter what you do, a flesh and blood, grown ass man in a bat costume is always going to look and feel ridiculous - this newest version moreso than ever. The character works so much better in comics and animation.

I'm even more tired of this relentlessly bleak, humorless approach to the character and his world. There's a tonal balance that can be struck with Gotham, but the newest entries seem more interested in leaning too far into the dark and gritty. It's dull.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I wonder if the The Batman trailer music is actually part of the score. I'm quite digging it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

At the very least, it looks interesting. Somehow just as cartoony as the 90s films and as "realistic and modern" as the Nolan trilogy. Robert Pattinson is a fantastic actor and it looks like this could be great. Ultimately this is the type of thing I'll wait for early expectations for and adjust my expectations accordingly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Ok, The Batman trailer is awesome and all...

But is no one else gonna comment on how Young Justice Season 4 just premiered???
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Everything was awesome, but that new Batman trailer......HOLY HELL!!!

11/10
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft