The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by JAGzilla »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:35 pm Apparently Toshiro Mifune was Lucas' first choice for Obi-Wan. That would have been wild.
Oh my God, that would've been amazing. I wouldn't trade Alec Guinness Obi-Wan for the world, but imagine if that had actually panned out. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I watched mother! by Darren Aronofsky the other night. Absolutely fantastic film, and I regret not seeing it sooner. One of those films that works on both a narrative and emotional level. It's also the type of film that really sticks with you, and I've been thinking about it since.
Spoiler:
I didn't immediately catch up that it was all an allusion to God and the Earth, as well as a re-telling of the events of the Bible and Jesus. Fantastic all around, and I'm curious to rewatch and reunderstand things. Most interesting and unique take I've seen on Christianity in a while.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:25 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:35 pm Apparently Toshiro Mifune was Lucas' first choice for Obi-Wan. That would have been wild.
Oh my God, that would've been amazing. I wouldn't trade Alec Guinness Obi-Wan for the world, but imagine if that had actually panned out. :lol:
Right? Looks like he was considered for Vader, too. Here's what his daughter said about it:
At the time, sci-fi movies still looked quite cheap as the effects were not advanced and he had a lot of samurai pride. So then, there was talk about him taking the Darth Vader role as his face would be covered, but in the end he turned that down too.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Blob (1958). Hadn't seen it since I was a kid. It's alright... mostly very slow and talky, and seems longer than it is. That does get dull at times, but also adds a certain sense of realism. Rather than just experiencing the highlights, you kind of feel like you're actually following these kids through the whole event, slow 'in between' moments included. And then that does make the tense action moments all the more effective when they come. Well, some of them; the diner scene was lacking, unfortunately.

And there are some great, iconic moments sprinkled throughout. A lot of trailer-worthy lines from Steve McQueen, and the screaming crowd pouring out of the theater, in particular.

And some less great stuff, too. The doctor sending the kids to investigate instead of calling the police, for example. :lol:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

While it's not really a good movie, The Blob has this almost otherworldly-ness that appeals to me. Except for 4-D Man from most of the same crew, there aren't really any classic Hollywood monster movies that feel like it: Both were shot in Pennsylvania, and while the casts featured future Hollywood stars, they just don't look, sound, or feel like Hollywood movies. So in that regard I've always favored it to the 1988 remake, which is (conventionally speaking) a better film, but not nearly as unique or charming.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Batman: The Long Halloween Parts 1 and 2 - DC once again takes a classic graphic novel and turns it into an awkward, lifeless bore. The dialogue is just painfully bad.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Now THAT was great. Felt a lot like Pixar, a lot of good humor with some nice cathartic moments sprinkled in, and of course the visuals were fantastic. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but it's a very fun film with heart that can be enjoyed by any age group.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The Many Saints of Newark

I’m a big Sopranos fan, and I really enjoyed it. It’s not necessary, but didn’t fuck with anything, and serves as a perfect prequel.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:46 am The Many Saints of Newark

I’m a big Sopranos fan, and I really enjoyed it. It’s not necessary, but didn’t fuck with anything, and serves as a perfect prequel.
That was my main issue with it - definitely felt more like an El Camino than a Better Call Saul, kinda pointless.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Ted Lasso (Season One) - This show has become quite the phenomenon, and dad is a huge fan of it, so we binged it the last few days. I was pretty unimpressed at first, and a lot of the humor was pretty basic boomer stuff - but by the final few episodes, the show had charmed me. I like that there's some nuance in Lasso's leadership approach - his positivity is infectious, but it has its downsides. Fun show.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Invisible Man (2020). All right, nicely done! I'm sure the original story was scary for 1930s audiences, but could never believably work today. If the Invisible Man made himself a public menace now, we have the technology to track him right down. But if he lays low and focuses his insanity on a single person... ah, now he becomes both plausible and terrifying. It was just a good, competent movie, too. A bit clunky early on with the protagonists all being stupid in order to isolate Cecilia, but solid otherwise. Wouldn't be a horror movie if the victims weren't making terrible decisions, anyway.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Ted Lasso (Season Two) - Meh. The humor hasn't improved, and there's a sickly sweet sentimentality to it all...but the characters are pretty well-written. These characters and actors deserve better jokes and storylines.

John Wick - A perfectly paced action movie, with a nice emotional thorough-line. Loved it.

John Wick Part Two - The plot is more intricate, the visuals more spectacular, but the narrative just isn't as satisfying. Looking forward to watching Part Three.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Brides of Dracula. Just as good as the other Hammer films I've seen. They did a good job making the vampires very visually striking in this one, especially the Baron and Gina. Great makeup and contact lenses and everything. The scene with the villager girl breaking out of her grave was really cool, and so was Van Helsing using the windmill to make a cross. Very clever.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:10 am The Brides of Dracula. Just as good as the other Hammer films I've seen. They did a good job making the vampires very visually striking in this one, especially the Baron and Gina. Great makeup and contact lenses and everything. The scene with the villager girl breaking out of her grave was really cool, and so was Van Helsing using the windmill to make a cross. Very clever.
Yeah, that vampire "birth" is one of the creepiest scenes in any Hammer movie, for my money. It's really the characters of Greta and the baroness who sell that movie for me, each with her own strange sense of obligation or devotion to the monster.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The lasting image of BoD for me is
Spoiler:
Van Helsing's cure for his impending vampirism.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:53 am The lasting image of BoD for me is
Spoiler:
Van Helsing's cure for his impending vampirism.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that scene. Had me on the edge of my seat for a minute, there. :lol:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And I just got done with Poltergeist (1982). It was a bloated, confused trainwreck that seemed to have no idea what it wanted to be or do. It started off enjoyably enough, kind of if The Amityville Horror was a family movie. Then we got a few minutes of what the fuck lunacy with the tree eating Robbie and a tornado out of nowhere and Carol-Anne getting sucked into the closet. I'm sure a lot of kids were traumatized for life. Okay. Then we putter sluggishly around with the pointless proto-Ghost Busters and a psychic lecturing on the metaphysics of death for a while, until they figure out how to rescue Carol-Anne. Big dramatic rescue scene occurs, the family is reunited and getting ready to move, here would be the logical place to roll credits on a decently warm-and-fuzzy, story-concluded note.

But wait... there's more! You still needed to see Jobeth Williams take off her pants and then get dragged across the ceiling in her underwear! That feels like it belongs in the movie, right?! You still needed to see ghosts coming out of the doors and skeletons coming out of the mud and coffins bursting out of the ground and the clown attacking Robbie and the kids getting sucked into the closet again and RAWR and GRRR and BOOM and the house implodes on itself as the family drives away. Ha ha, and then the guy pushes the TV out of the hotel room.

Yeah. I get the feeling that there may have been just a little bit of last-minute studio interference involved here. :lol: Steven Spielberg is obviously capable of much better. It had its moments, though.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Watched Halloween Kills earlier in theaters, loved it. Not as good as 2018, but a worthy sequel. Downright terrifying, maybe the scariest Halloween yet.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I introduced a group of friends to The Haunting (1963) tonight. One of my all time favorite horror films!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Spuro wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:40 pm I introduced a group of friends to The Haunting (1963) tonight. One of my all time favorite horror films!
So good! The wife and I just rewatched it last week. Every time I notice things in it I'd never caught before.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.