Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Vakanai »

John Pannozzi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 am Hnmmm... rather than Gwangi, what if other Wb-owned kaijuesque properties crossed over with the Monsterverse... namely Rampage and Primal Rage?

On a more serious note, a remake of Cool World based on Ralph Bakshi's original script would be interesting, but that's not likely to ever happen. God willing that at least the script itself becomes publically available one day.
Not to nitpick, but this thread is about films that could use a reboot or remake - Rampage crossing over with the Monsterverse doesn't count as either, and assuming you mean the kaiju fighting game then Primal Rage has never had the first film so can't be rebooted or remade yet (also as I recall that game took place in a post-apocalypse, so not sure how it could crossover with a non-post-apocalypse MV, just my opinion).

There actually is a Primal Rage movie, but it has nothing to do with kaiju so by your context I'm assuming you don't mean that one, but sorry if I got it wrong and you do. I think it's like a Bigfoot movie maybe?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

The Chronicles of Narnia could be a great film series...but I have ZERO confidence in anything Netflix is going to do with the property. I hope that whatever deal made with them yields a lot of creative control to keep Netflix from "transforming and modernizing" and ultimately, ruining the material like they do with damn near every adaptation they do.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The 1989 deep sea Alien-esque flick with Peter Weller, LEVIATHAN. A flick that every time I watch it I can't help but think that it missed the mark somewhere around the middle. I wouldn't mind seeing the film remade. Either a straight up remake featuring the deep sea mining operation encountering the horrific effects of a Soviet experiment on a crew of their own sailors, when they come across the wreckage of the Russian vessel near the end of their stint underwater. Or else a prequel/remake on the events of the Soviet vessel, Leviathan. Leading up to its sinking when the ship was sunk.
`
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:33 pm
John Pannozzi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 am Hnmmm... rather than Gwangi, what if other Wb-owned kaijuesque properties crossed over with the Monsterverse... namely Rampage and Primal Rage?

On a more serious note, a remake of Cool World based on Ralph Bakshi's original script would be interesting, but that's not likely to ever happen. God willing that at least the script itself becomes publically available one day.
Not to nitpick, but this thread is about films that could use a reboot or remake - Rampage crossing over with the Monsterverse doesn't count as either, and assuming you mean the kaiju fighting game then Primal Rage has never had the first film so can't be rebooted or remade yet (also as I recall that game took place in a post-apocalypse, so not sure how it could crossover with a non-post-apocalypse MV, just my opinion).

There actually is a Primal Rage movie, but it has nothing to do with kaiju so by your context I'm assuming you don't mean that one, but sorry if I got it wrong and you do. I think it's like a Bigfoot movie maybe?
I was referring to the Primal Rage video game.
Friends don't lie.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

John Pannozzi wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:06 am
Vakanai wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:33 pm

I was referring to the Primal Rage video game.
Thought you did. Like I said, sorry for the nitpick, just technically can't reboot something that hasn't had the first film yet - but I also would love to see a Primal Rage movie myself, I had a lot of fun playing the game back on the Sega Genisis. A post apocalypse kaiju v kaiju slugfest would be something new in the genre.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Having watched Congo a few weeks back. IMO I actually liked the movie. It wasn't perfect but IMO don't think it's as bad as people made it out to be. Refreshing to get a movie about killer gorillas.

That said I think it's one of those movies that does deserve a remake or reboot of some sort. Instead of a movie though I'd make it a mini-series whether on HBOMax, Amazon, Paramount or something more closer to the book.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Whether you think its deserving or not The Last Unicorn is getting a live action adaptation.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Rumor time. JJ Abrams is rebooting Krull for Warner.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/e ... brams.html
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Sound of Horror...invisible dinosaurs. Some gruesome deaths and neat sound but I dunno right direction could make it terrifyingly.

GojiFan1999
Ronin

Post by GojiFan1999 »

I would love to see Dracula

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

GojiFan1999 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:26 am I would love to see Dracula
Doesn’t this movie get remade almost every year? Maybe slightly hyperbolic, but wasn’t there a film like three months ago about him? Voyage of the Demeter or something?
He Jock it Made of Steel

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Kronos. A giant alien robot machine draining energy sources is still applicable to modern audiences.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Plan 9 From Outer Space. Zombie apocalypses have seen a revival of late so making it the vanguard of an alien invasion would be an interesting twist.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Atlantis the Lost Empire. An underrated Disney classic that sadly flopped due to competing with Shrek. A live action remake of THAT movie, I'd get behind.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

People are already fan casting Tom Holland as Milo.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

The Wizard of Oz
Casablanca
JAWS

Honestly I just want to see how the internet loses its collective shit seeing these three untouchable classics getting touched all over with remakes. I say go for it!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know what? Now that I think about it, I think it's time we give The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen another shot in theatres. There was on in 2003, but it didn't really do the franchise much justice.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:36 pm The Wizard of Oz
Casablanca
JAWS

Honestly I just want to see how the internet loses its collective shit seeing these three untouchable classics getting touched all over with remakes. I say go for it!
Casablanca was remade in 1980 as Caboblanco. Just thought you should know in case you didn't.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:59 pm
GojiFan1999 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:26 am I would love to see Dracula
Doesn’t this movie get remade almost every year? Maybe slightly hyperbolic, but wasn’t there a film like three months ago about him? Voyage of the Demeter or something?
You're close, it was titled The Last Voyage of the Demeter.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:33 pm
Casablanca was remade in 1980 as Caboblanco. Just thought you should know.

[/quote]

And Barb Wire starring none but Pamela Anderson
He Jock it Made of Steel