Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by Voyager »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:32 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:57 pm I can’t imagine why anyone around here would flat out object to a Gwangi reboot in the Monsterverse.
This again? Gwangi isn't an iconic monster, he's a relatively obscure C-lister who has no business being in the Monsterverse.
It might be ironic, but I can never tell.
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Gwangi is a regular ass dinosaur (Kong might be an ape but he's at least implied to be more and has been built up to be more then just a gorilla in other films) from a barely remembered Harryhausen film that people only want in the MonsterVerse because WB already owns the rights (which by this logic, why aren't we clamoring for Alpha Flight in the MCU? They're owned by Marvel, it wouldn't be an issue like Spider-Man)

It's such a stupid topic and I'm gonna also ask everyone to drop this after this because this is off topic (no discussion of the need for a reboot, just more about an unneeded monster being in the MonsterVerse)

Added in 23 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:37 pm

It's not.

At all.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:57 pm I can’t imagine why anyone around here would flat out object to a Gwangi reboot in the Monsterverse. I started a thread on the topic, but it got shot down quickly after everyone almost unanimously spoke out adamantly against it. I just don’t get it, why is Gwangi not fit for The Monsterverse in your eyes, even if they gave him the Kaiju-treatment? Some people said that Gwangi is just a generic theropod, but hey why can’t Kong be just dismissed as a generic ape? Despite that, look at how his long-awaited rematch with Godzilla turned out. Sure it may’ve not been universally acclaimed critically, but it sure as hell did financially.

If I were to guess, Gwangi, unlike Kong is a reptile rather than a primate and therefore, lacks the relatability factor. Does this reflect how you really feel? If not, I will appreciate a clarification.
1. Some of us just aren't interested in seeing other franchises in the MV.
2. Don't care if GvK made money, what's that got to do with anything?

I'd like a Gwangi reboot, I'd just prefer to see it be its own thing.

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:
Gigantis wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:07 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:57 pm I can’t imagine why anyone around here would flat out object to a Gwangi reboot in the Monsterverse. I started a thread on the topic, but it got shot down quickly after everyone almost unanimously spoke out adamantly against it. I just don’t get it, why is Gwangi not fit for The Monsterverse in your eyes, even if they gave him the Kaiju-treatment? Some people said that Gwangi is just a generic theropod, but hey why can’t Kong be just dismissed as a generic ape? Despite that, look at how his long-awaited rematch with Godzilla turned out. Sure it may’ve not been universally acclaimed critically, but it sure as hell did financially.
1. Calling Kong a generic ape is dumb
2. Gwangi just.. doesn't fit with what the MonsterVerse is going for. Even giving him the kaiju treatment, there's nothing really going for him that mixes well with what the MV is going for. His deaign is going to look super generic compared to the other monsters, and the plot of his movie is just too dumb and cheesy compared to everything elae too.
...but that's exactly what the MV is currently going for.

Added in 2 minutes 39 seconds:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:49 pm Gwangi is a regular ass dinosaur (Kong might be an ape but he's at least implied to be more and has been built up to be more then just a gorilla in other films) from a barely remembered and mediocre Harryhausen film that people only want in the MonsterVerse because WB already owns the rights (which by this logic, why aren't we clamoring for Alpha Flight in the MCU? They're owned by Marvel, it wouldn't be an issue like Spider-Man)

It's such a stupid topic and I'm gonna also ask everyone to drop this after this because this is off topic (no discussion of the need for a reboot, just more about an unneeded monster being in the MonsterVerse)

Added in 23 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:37 pm

It's not.

At all.
1. Sorry, didn't see the bit about not discussing it.
2. I know of a few fans out there clamoring for Alpha Flight believe it or not...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Alpha Flight kicks ass, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise, eh?
I really don't understand this website's fascination with Gwangi. :shrug:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Fire and Ice (the dinosaur Conan the barbarian movie). I love frank Frazetta's art and would love to see this a full fledged streaming animated series. Dinosaurs and DnD is awesome!
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:09 pm
2. I know of a few fans out there clamoring for Alpha Flight believe it or not...
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:22 pm Alpha Flight kicks ass, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise, eh?

Nah, I actually do think Alpha Flight would be great, just giving an example :lol:
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Godzilla's Revenge. Make it a psychological horror.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Not a film....but I think the entire Dragon Ball property could use some kind of reboot/relaunch/restart.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be a full on page-by-page re-adaptation of the Manga, obviously that should be the respected source material...but things could be handled better and streamlined a bit. Some of the more goofy stuff, maybe a few of the ancillary characters/material that don't really fit in the long term story.

I would just love a re-telling from the beginning of Dragon Ball up until the conclusion of the Frieza arc. To me, that is when the series was overall strongest and peaked. Everything after became, Super Saiyans everywhere, Dragon Balls not being any kind of central focus, wonky time travel plots, infinite levels of Super Saiyan and just the utter mess that is the Buu saga.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:44 pm Not a film....but I think the entire Dragon Ball property could use some kind of reboot/relaunch/restart.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be a full on page-by-page re-adaptation of the Manga, obviously that should be the respected source material...but things could be handled better and streamlined a bit. Some of the more goofy stuff, maybe a few of the ancillary characters/material that don't really fit in the long term story.

I would just love a re-telling from the beginning of Dragon Ball up until the conclusion of the Frieza arc. To me, that is when the series was overall strongest and peaked. Everything after became, Super Saiyans everywhere, Dragon Balls not being any kind of central focus, wonky time travel plots, infinite levels of Super Saiyan and just the utter mess that is the Buu saga.
Totally agreed. Can you think of anything in specific you'd change for the better?

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Werewolf:The Series-the short lived series that debuted on the early days of FOX. The tale of a college student Eric Cord, whose best friend has been committing a series of killing because he cursed from the bite of a werewolf. One night his friend ends up asking him to assist his suicide with a gun loaded with silver bullets. However in course of trying to stop his friend, Cord is bitten before he kills his friend. On top of being charged with his friend's murder, Cord finds the werewolf responsible for turning his friend, and ending up getting him cursed as well. The despicable Janos Skorzany. Searching for Janos, and trying not to maim, kill anyone when the full moon rises and he goes beast mode when transforming into a werewolf. He's also being pursued by a bounty hunter for skipping out on his court date while pursuit of Skorzany. By killing the latter, Cord hopes to end his curse. Cancelled after one season. WEREWOLF developed a cult following. Also thanks to the werewolf suits being created by make-up maestro Rick Baker, and make-up effects by Greg Cannom. Sadly, due legal issues over music rights to a song in the pilot. A stateside DVD release isn't in the cards as of yet. But you can catch the pilot on YouTube. I always thought the show could either be revived as movie, or else a series on Netflix. With Brian Cranston as Janos Skorzany.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I honestly think GunHed should have another crack taken at it.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Robot Monster.

The film actually presents some interesting ideas in its larger narrative that couldn't be realized by its budget or the time it was produced. It'd be cool to see it given another chance.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Spuro wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:58 pm Robot Monster.

The film actually presents some interesting ideas in its larger narrative that couldn't be realized by its budget or the time it was produced. It'd be cool to see it given another chance.
I can imagine that, in a potential remake/reboot, Ro-Man would finally look like a robot and not a gorilla wearing a diving helmet.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:23 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:44 pm Not a film....but I think the entire Dragon Ball property could use some kind of reboot/relaunch/restart.

Totally agreed. Can you think of anything in specific you'd change for the better?
I know a lot of people will have a lot of perspectives...but taking the series as a whole, the more extreme ends of the 'goofy silly fantasy' elements towards the front of the series would probably go.

So...beginning with the "Pilaf/Search for the Dragon Balls" Saga is good...I am unsure if Oolang even needs to be there, same thing with Puar...and the whole shapeshifting thing they bring to the table, the rabbit gang left on the moon...I'd veer from that. Goku, Bulma, Yamcha as the main gang. Still get Roshi and Ox King and Chi Chi in there.

FOR ME...I wouldn't do Red Ribbon Army. I know many love it, but a LOT of the story beats and tropes in the RR saga get repeated or retread a bit in the Piccolo Daimao Saga...

So after the Pilaf Saga, then the training with Krillin. Perhaps not include Launch at all...or include here and take out the changing personality thing, maybe just re-interpret her character a bit...or make her a pair of sisters or something. I'm not sure. Perhaps just not have her.

I would basically combine the first two Tournament arcs. So get Tien and Chiaotzu in there. Forget the whole 'Goku transforms in the tournament and the moon is blown up' thing.

So
Pilaf Saga
Training with Roshi
Tournament where Tien defeats Goku in the final
King Piccolo Saga
Final Tournament Saga with Piccolo Jr.
Raditz-Saiyans-Namek-Freeza

That's where I would personally end it. BUT if we were to continue, if it MUST be continued...no time travel, no Androids and Cell, no Buu....no multiple grades of Super Saiyan with yellow hair.

After Freeza do the big time skip of like 10 years and get into the Gods of Destruction...Make Super Saiyan God/Super Saiyan Blue one form, the first time we see a power "Beyond Super Saiyan"

Don't keep bringing Frieza back. If Fusion MUST be a part of the narrative, at least going with the dance represents it as a 'technique' and a skill that must be acquired as opposed to just some magical plot-device ear-rings.

Rambling now. Essentially just trim some of the fat, tone down the overt nudity from early in the series, tone down a little bit of the crude sexual humor. Don't be obligated to include ancillary characters JUST because they were in the original source material.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:25 am
Spuro wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:58 pm Robot Monster.

I can imagine that, in a potential remake/reboot, Ro-Man would finally look like a robot and not a gorilla wearing a diving helmet.
While I wouldn't mind an update to the design - make the gorilla body more alien like with spikes or more elongated limbs, make the head more sci-fi high tech like how they changed the robot's head in Netflix's Lost in Space reboot - I think fundamentally is still needs to be an ape/gorilla-like body with a robot-like head or otherwise it's kind of in-name-only.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Robot Monster is a bad movie, but a modern remake/reboot would lose everything I like about the original. :P
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:48 pm

I know a lot of people will have a lot of perspectives...but taking the series as a whole, the more extreme ends of the 'goofy silly fantasy' elements towards the front of the series would probably go.

So...beginning with the "Pilaf/Search for the Dragon Balls" Saga is good...I am unsure if Oolang even needs to be there, same thing with Puar...and the whole shapeshifting thing they bring to the table, the rabbit gang left on the moon...I'd veer from that. Goku, Bulma, Yamcha as the main gang. Still get Roshi and Ox King and Chi Chi in there.

FOR ME...I wouldn't do Red Ribbon Army. I know many love it, but a LOT of the story beats and tropes in the RR saga get repeated or retread a bit in the Piccolo Daimao Saga...

So after the Pilaf Saga, then the training with Krillin. Perhaps not include Launch at all...or include here and take out the changing personality thing, maybe just re-interpret her character a bit...or make her a pair of sisters or something. I'm not sure. Perhaps just not have her.

I would basically combine the first two Tournament arcs. So get Tien and Chiaotzu in there. Forget the whole 'Goku transforms in the tournament and the moon is blown up' thing.

So
Pilaf Saga
Training with Roshi
King Piccolo Saga

That's where I would personally end it. BUT if we were to continue, if it MUST be continued...no time travel, no Androids and Cell, no Buu....no multiple grades of Super Saiyan with yellow hair.

After Freeza do the big time skip of like 10 years and get into the Gods of Destruction...Make Super Saiyan God/Super Saiyan Blue one form, the first time we see a power "Beyond Super Saiyan"

Don't keep bringing Frieza back. If Fusion MUST be a part of the narrative, at least going with the dance represents it as a 'technique' and a skill that must be acquired as opposed to just some magical plot-device ear-rings.

Rambling now. Essentially just trim some of the fat, tone down the overt nudity from early in the series, tone down a little bit of the crude sexual humor. Don't be obligated to include ancillary characters JUST because they were in the original source material.
Would you mind if there was a story arc revolving around a power vacuum after Frieza's defeat at the hands of Goku?

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:40 pm Would you mind if there was a story arc revolving around a power vacuum after Frieza's defeat at the hands of Goku?
I actually like that thought. I always felt that the 'Goku is missing/gone, Vegeta is far from fully reformed, and Earth has lost its strongest protector' element had a lot more untapped potential than just 'Gohan defeats Garlic Jr'

I'm sure in the moment the anime team might have had no idea that Vegeta would become a Super Saiyan...but with hindsight, replacing something like the Garlic Jr Saga on Earth with a Vegeta focused mini-saga or film could be much more compelling. It could maybe take us from that 'Goku and Freeza aren't around so I am strongest and will take over/destroy the Earth' type of position into the somewhat more "I'm only interested in my own power and re-establishing myself as the supreme saiyan warrior"...

Again, I have no perfect answer...but I feel like story wise, post-Freeza would have been a perfect time to set up a "Goku vs Vegeta Rematch" where they finally settle their difference and maybe the worst of Vegeta's "evil impulses" get sort of purged out of him in combat. To give us a sequence of events where Vegeta transforms from Goku's mortal enemy to simple a heated rival.

Imagine Vegeta meeting Cooler, Cold, or even...ugh...cyborg Freeza out in space, and us seeing first hand his debut SS transformation. Then he comes back to Earth with ill intent, Goku arrives, they have to battle....and through the process Goku is able to sort of question Vegeta's entire "evil domination" motivation now that Freeza and his empire are gone.

Again, now I'm rambling. For all healthy criticism I can throw at Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z...the world and characters clearly drive my imagination into a lot of really cool places.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:48 pm

So
Pilaf Saga
Training with Roshi
King Piccolo Saga

I like most of were your going. I think I would keep the red ribbon and cell saga imo, however I would change the cell saga drastically. As much as I love Future Trunks, the cell saga can be rebooted without the time travel bits. I feel the Cell saga has some 'finality' to it than Frieza imo. In particular, it gives more closure to Piccolo and Kami as well as Goku with him letting Gohan be the next generation to protect the earth as well as Vegeta becoming soo shamed that he vows never to fight again. Also, it ties DBZ and DB together more imo. Until cell saga, DB and DBZ just feels so disjointed and unrelated. Finally, Cell being made of the past characters ties into everything Goku has struggled with really well. I know that Cell Saga being the intended final arc is a myth, but it still has a feel of completeness imo.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Hnmmm... rather than Gwangi, what if other Wb-owned kaijuesque properties crossed over with the Monsterverse... namely Rampage and Primal Rage?

On a more serious note, a remake of Cool World based on Ralph Bakshi's original script would be interesting, but that's not likely to ever happen. God willing that at least the script itself becomes publically available one day.
Last edited by John Pannozzi on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Friends don't lie.