Kevin Smith & Netflix's MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
The One and Only
Futurian

Kevin Smith & Netflix's MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

Post by The One and Only »

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/357907 ... ed-series/
Announced over the weekend at this year's PowerCon. Netflix, and the God of the Nerds himself, Kevin Smith, will be producing a brand spanking new MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE anime series. According to Silent Bob himself, the show, subtitled REVELATION, will be picking up where the classic show left off, resolving some story lines left dangling. And the final throw down between Skeletor and He-Man.

On the subject of all thing related to Eternia, and it exciting current events. It was also announced that a new Masters of the Universe comic mini series will be hitting the stands this November from INJUSTICE Vs. THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE scribe, Tim Seeley, and artist Dan Fraga, with ink assists by Richard Friend. HE-MAN & THE MASTERS OF THE MULTIVERSE will pit He-Man against a threat that has traveled the multiverse to ravage, and drain one Eternia after another of its magic. Then leave the desicated remains behind.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08/16 ... -november/
And it will take the He-Men of several universes, including the Dolph Lundgren one(not kidding) to take on this threat. Because this oncoming doom is none other than the evil He-Man of ANTI-ETERNIA. Who also has Skeletor in his corner to boot.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: Kevin Smith & Netflix's MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

Post by Stump Feet »

Snoochie Boochies, this sounds rad
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

The One and Only
Futurian

Smith provides some updates on the upcoming series, and the storyline for series is revealed.
https://www.cbr.com/kevin-smith-netflix ... se-update/

Added in 1 month 14 days 2 hours 11 minutes 12 seconds:
Apparently like Doritos, Netflix is not happy with just one MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE series.
https://www.newsarama.com/48319-that-ai ... -show.html
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I grew up a HUGE Masters of the Universe fan as a kid. I loved the old show, the toys, and even the artwork on the boxes for the toys were enthralling to me. It was one of the key factors in getting me to love a blending of Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

My fandom has continued throughout my life as I loved the 2002 series and DC's recent run of comics.

But with the influx of reboots and return of old properties, the results are, to put it nicely, mixed. I had very little hope for this, but said I'd give it a shot when it came out.

I promised myself I wasn't going to get my hopes up for this...but then I saw the voice cast. Lena Heady as Evil Lyn and Mark Freaking Hamill as Skeletor. Well played Netflix...well played.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Hope Hamill really has fun. Oppenheimer is a hard act to follow.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

First Images look Amazing! Better than I had hoped for. Looks like the took the classic MOTU characters, and animated in the style of the 200X show. July 23rd can't come fast enough for me, also to finally erase the stain of that awful she-ra show.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mas ... 00346.html

Last edited by o.supreme on Thu May 13, 2021 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

DynomikeGojira
G-Force Personnel

Post by DynomikeGojira »

True Eternia

1973GXMSITB
Ronin

Post by 1973GXMSITB »

Why does Orko look like a demon?

Like dude man. Isn't he supposed to be the cute one?

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Lots of people are worried that this is going to try and kowtow to the woke SJW crowd.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:12 pm Lots of people are worried that this is going to try and kowtow to the woke SJW crowd.
Why, because one image features three women?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

1973GXMSITB wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:42 am Why does Orko look like a demon?

Like dude man. Isn't he supposed to be the cute one?
Maybe they're trying to make sure he's taken more seriously this time around.

And maybe if they re-do She-ra, they'll do the same thing to her "cute" magician character (who, I guess, was Madame Razz, am I right?).

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

o.supreme wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:23 am First Images look Amazing! Better than I had hoped for. Looks like the took the classic MOTU characters, and animated in the style of the 200X show. July 23rd can't come fast enough for me, also to finally erase the stain of that awful she-ra show.
What's wrong with the She-Ra show? Haven't seen it yet, but it looks good and it's on my list of shows to watch so curious what's wrong with it before I watch it.

Greyshot151
Applebee's Manager

Post by Greyshot151 »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:24 pm
o.supreme wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:23 am First Images look Amazing! Better than I had hoped for. Looks like the took the classic MOTU characters, and animated in the style of the 200X show. July 23rd can't come fast enough for me, also to finally erase the stain of that awful she-ra show.
What's wrong with the She-Ra show? Haven't seen it yet, but it looks good and it's on my list of shows to watch so curious what's wrong with it before I watch it.
I guess the artstyle isn't up to everyone's liking. First 2 seasons were okay, but everything after is phenomenal. I'd likin it to Avatar: TLA. Not as good as that show, but it has the same feel. Great characters, great battles and I'm honestly kind of hoping this ends up crossing over with She-Ra, even if it's just an episode or too.

I like the style of the show, but here's hoping the characters and action are as good as its sister series.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

DynomikeGojira
G-Force Personnel

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Isn't Kevin Smith supposed to be unveiling something because he's posting something about it on his YouTube later or now not really sure

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

The animation for She-Ra is terrible IMHO. Also, I'm sorry, but She-Ra looks like a teenage boy. Not how she's supposed to look. Also you can't tell the story of She-Ra without her brother.

I understand the new MOTU will be more diverse, and forward the characters, and that is fine, I'm all for it as long as the characters stay true to who they are. If they radically change the characters, then yes the show will fail, deservedly so, but I really hope that doesn't happen. I want this series to be good.
Last edited by o.supreme on Sun May 16, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

o.supreme wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:33 pm The animation for She-Ra is terrible IMHO. Also, I'm sorry, but She-Ra looks like a teenage boy. Not how she's supposed to look. Also you can't tell the story of She-Ra without her brother.

I understand the new MOTU will be more diverse, and forward the characters, and that is fine, I'm all for it as long as the characters stay true to who they are. If they radically change the characters, then yes the show will fail, deservedly so, but I really hope that doesn't happen. I want this series to be good.
I can't speak for the animation until I see it (animation is how the characters move, not how they look - that's character design), but I don't think she looks like a teenage boy. I've known some girls who didn't look too different from that around that age (I've a 15 year old niece currently).

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

First Teaser looks absolutely flippin Amazing!...But I'm still cautious...is this all just from the 1st episode.?..I'm a little concerned about what they aren't showing.

https://youtu.be/81wyj65SJIo

Also not going to lie, I can't count how many times I've watched fan made 80's-90's superhero cartoon videos to the tune "I need a Hero"

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The One and Only
Futurian

Definitely fires on all cylinders. While the original Filmation series hadn't aged too well for me. This continuation of the Eighties program this is looks to quite good, and a nice evolution of the classic.
Watching the trailer and its perfect use of Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For A Hero !". I have to wonder if the editors who put together the teaser had been influenced by this fan video from a few years using Tyler's classic song featuring a montage of Eighties animated classic shows from the sadly bygone era.

A lot of the saltiness towards Netflix's She-Ra series stemmed from the beforementioned teenage boy looking Adora/She-Ra. Turning the show's main villain ,Hordak, into a beta male. What really soured the longtime fan towards the new show was the program's show runners trashing of the original's cast and crew who worked on the Filmation original. Including the studio's founder, Lou Scheimer. The militant lesbian creator of the comic ,Lumber Janes, who was the show runner and head writer , accusing Scheimer of being racist, and a homophobe along side the studio, and just bad mouthing everything relation to the original's chronicles to the Princess of Power. None of which turned out to be true according those who worked for the man, and the studio was pretty progressive in its hiring practices. Not to mention Mattel was rumored to be not so happy with how the She-Ra property was handled as well by the Netflix/Dreamworks crew. Which led to rather divisive atmosphere between everyone all around,

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^^God forbid anyone somehow finds/interprets any LGBTQ+ themes in He-man/She-Ra.

I definitely also didn’t send the newest trailer to one of my friends and they definitely didn’t respond with “oh wow they made he-man super hot”.

Anyways, I’m excited for this. The animation looks awesome, and it looks like a great update for an otherwise very campy series.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.