Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Official News topic

Post by mikelcho »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:45 pm
I would love for them to explain how this isn't prejudice.
Ron White was right - you can't fix stupid.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:11 pm
goji89 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:49 pm
Terasawa wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:48 pm

How is that any better?
It's a choice they'll have to make and not be forced upon them.
What's wrong with having the civil rights history of this country "forced upon them"?

What's the educational benefit of leaving the curriculum up to individual school systems?
If we're making events like this mandatory why not make all history mandatory. This is a loop hole to introduce prejudice belifes into the school system without coming out and directly saying these beliefs.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

goji89 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:49 pm
Terasawa wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:48 pm
goji89 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:46 pmEach school would be responsible for deciding whether or not to teach these topics.
How is that any better?
It's a choice they'll have to make and not be forced upon them.
Should schools also have the choice to teach that evolution is a lie? The choice to teach revised versions of history? The choice to leave out certain courses like math or physics?

You seem to be trying to argue for freedom of speech when the topic is about good education and historical revisionism.

Added in 1 hour 53 minutes 55 seconds:
https://then24.com/2021/07/20/this-time ... in-france/
French President Emmanuel Macron announced strong measures to combat a new wave of COVID-19 infections and allow a safe reopening. Those who refuse to be vaccinated will not be able to go to public places. “This time you are staying at home, not us”, the president said during a message.
FUCK YEAH FRANCE!!!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/psaki-wont-c ... 00033.html

Of course they won't say anything it's Democrats. Had it been Republicans oooff that would be a different story.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

goji89 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:28 pmOf course they won't say anything it's Democrats. Had it been Republicans oooff that would be a different story.
Welcome to politics.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji89 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:28 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/psaki-wont-c ... 00033.html

Of course they won't say anything it's Democrats. Had it been Republicans oooff that would be a different story.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/20/politics ... index.html

What Goji89 decided to leave out is that the democrats that passed covid were all vaccinated and the reason it would be a different stroy with Republicans is because right now the majority of those not getting vaccinated right now are Republicans.

Like this

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/politics ... index.html

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Thomas Barrack, chairman of Trump 2017 inaugural fund, arrested on federal charge
Well, I guess the Republicans got their monkey's paw wish. They finally got Barrack arrested...just not the one they had in mind.

Off-duty DEA agent arrested on Capitol riot charges

No Black parents, teachers or scholars invited to Missouri hearing on teaching race
It's almost like it was intentional...
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

What is critical race theory, exactly? Everyone talks about it but I've never heard it properly explained.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:53 am What is critical race theory, exactly? Everyone talks about it but I've never heard it properly explained.
That's partly because it's a pretty advanced area mostly taught at the grad school level, but basically it's an approach to studying history and culture that views race as a cultural construct, and racism as a matter of not just personal bias but of as something embedded in areas of law and policy, divorced from individual intent. It's the theory behind the sociological definition of racism (often discussed in terms of "societal racism" or "institutional racism"), as opposed to the traditional/colloquial definition (which is focused entirely on personal/individual beliefs).

Oh, and here's Steve Bannon talking about how the term has intentionally been obfuscated by the media in order to rile people up against it:
The goal is to have the public read something crazy in the newspaper and immediately think ‘critical race theory.’ We have decodified the term and will recodify it to annex the entire range of cultural constructions that are unpopular with Americans.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:53 am What is critical race theory, exactly? Everyone talks about it but I've never heard it properly explained.
It's basically a collection of studies that discuss how parts of U.S. law intersect with issues of race. It's basically a theoretical study about how racism isn't just something linked to personal prejudice but can also be found in how laws are structured, basically systemic racism.

EDIT: What eabaker said.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what- ... ck/2021/05
A good example is when, in the 1930s, government officials literally drew lines around areas deemed poor financial risks, often explicitly due to the racial composition of inhabitants. Banks subsequently refused to offer mortgages to Black people in those areas.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

So it's just the study of systemic racism then? Seems pretty uncontroversial, the right wingers I listen to act like CRT is an existential threat to society lol
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:32 pm So it's just the study of systemic racism then? Seems pretty uncontroversial, the right wingers I listen to act like CRT is an existential threat to society lol
Propaganda from the likes of Fox News likely plays a role here.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:32 pm So it's just the study of systemic racism then? Seems pretty uncontroversial, the right wingers I listen to act like CRT is an existential threat to society lol
Right wingers think it's telling white children to hate themselves because they're white instead of what it actually is.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The inspiration behind the name is pretty badass.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/35444

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:39 pm

Oh, wow. I'm originally from Cleveland (haven't lived there since the late '90s), but I didn't know about those statues. I would've guessed that the name meant the team would be guarding its 74-year losing streak.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:24 pm

Oh, wow. I'm originally from Cleveland (haven't lived there since the late '90s), but I didn't know about those statues. I would've guessed that the name meant the team would be guarding its 74-year losing streak.
This was very interesting. I'm glad that the team didn't take the easy way out and pick some random character in order to try to please everyone (which, btw, always ends up pleasing no one).

I've got a good name for the Redskins, though. How about the Washington Warriors?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:42 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:24 pm

This was very interesting. I'm glad that the team didn't take the easy way out and pick some random character in order to try to please everyone (which, btw, always ends up pleasing no one).

I've got a good name for the Redskins, though. How about the Washington Warriors?
That said it wouldn't be warriors. Likely don't want to be confused with the Golden state Warriors.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Last edited by goji89 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.