What are you reading/last book you read

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: What are you reading/last book you read

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:38 pm
mikelcho wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:05 pm
Leviarex wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:16 pm Started 'Batman Arkham: Killer Croc' on Monday. I'm surprised/disappointed that the 1983 arc written by Gerry Conway doesn't include the conclusion.
I know, I have it too.

There's a few other comic story line collections that are missing important parts of their story lines in them:
*Diana Prince: Wonder Woman Volumes 1-4 are missing the parts of the story that were already published previously in DC Comics Classic Library Volume 1 - Superman: Kryptonite Nevermore,
*Wonder Woman: The Twelve Labors is missing Justice League of America #128-129 and Wonder Woman #223,
*Batman: Strange Apparitions is missing Detective Comics #477,
*The Howard the Duck Omnibus is missing Howard the Duck magazine #1-9 (complete and unaltered (i.e., no removal of any brief nudity (as in the end of issue #1))),
*The Man-Thing Omnibus is missing Marvel Two-in-One #1, Daredevil #113-114, Iron Man Annual #3, Giant-Size Spider-Man #5, Marvel Premiere #28, and Howard the Duck #22-23 (two more Man-Thing stories, Master of Kung Fu #19 and The Micronauts #7, couldn't be included in this book due to loss of copyright reasons, but maybe someday...),
*The Monster of Frankenstein is missing Invaders #31, Iron Man #101-102 and Spider-Man Unlimited #21.

And that's just what I can think of at the moment.
I just found another one:

*The Son of Satan Classic is missing Giant-Size Defenders #2, Defenders #24-25 and 62-63, and Ghost Rider (vol. 2) #17-19.

And I finally found out what the missing issues of Diana Prince: Wonder Woman Volumes 1-4 are: Superman #240-242.
And yet another...

*Batman: Arkham - Hugo Strange is missing Batman #354, The Brave and the Bold #182, and the Hugo Strange stories from both Batman #1 and Detective Comics #46.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

The One and Only wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:59 pm CLAW by Katie Berry.
How did a prehistoric bear survive tens of thousands of years trapped inside a cave, mine or whatever without any potential food to feed on let alone lived for tens of thousands of years? :lol:

I recall there also being another similar book involving a population of bears living deep inside caves having adapted to the environment, basically the crawlers from The Descent but instead its cave-adapted bears.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:01 pm
The One and Only wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:59 pm CLAW by Katie Berry.
How did a prehistoric bear survive tens of thousands of years trapped inside a cave, mine or whatever without any potential food to feed on let alone lived for tens of thousands of years? :lol:

I recall there also being another similar book involving a population of bears living deep inside caves having adapted to the environment, basically the crawlers from The Descent but instead its cave-adapted bears.
Suspended animation.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I finished Dark Forest, the second book in the Three Body Trilogy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Forest

Absolutely fantastic.

Suffice to say I'm starting the third novel shortly. In the mean time I've been reading stories in the publication I'll soon be working with. Absolutely fantastic as well. After this, I'm going to read George Saunders.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

On top of reading the first two issues of 'The Invincible Red Sonja', I've added the Special 'Jurassic Park' edition of Time Magazine I mentioned in the 'Latest Purchases Thread' to my list.
Last edited by Leviarex on Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I finished both The Dark Forest and Death's End! Reading the Three Body Trilogy was a worthy month-long endeavor. It's been a while since any form of medium has captured me like that.
After reading such SF masterpieces in such a short time, I'm going to return to some simpler stomping grounds.

I've decided on The Dog of the South by Charles Portis.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _South.jpg

I'll return to the George Saunders works as well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Reading the Godzilla vs. Kong novelization right now.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I finished Crying in H-Mart by Michelle Zauner.

Normally I don't read a lot of memoirs, but this was excellent. A lot of powerful things on dealing with relationships with parents, living through someone dying, multinational backgrounds, and music. I recommend it to anyone that has gone through losing someone important recently, and anyone who is just interested in music. I'm glad to have changed my pace, and I'm honestly not quite sure what I might read next.

I'm considering:

It would be a continuation of my recent delve into music literature.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Having finished the Special 'Jurassic Park' edition of Time Magazine, and 'Y2K: Yuki Conquers the World', my list now includes 'The Gods of Mars' (book two in Edgar Rice Burroughs' 'John Carter of Mars' series), and this magazine:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Reading no country for old men, and this is probably the third time I’ve attempted a cormac McCarthy novel despite never having finished one, (once with the road, twice with ncfom). I’ll definitely finish it this time, I’ve matured as a reader since my last attempts, but I’m just not a huge fan of his style I guess, but I’d like to get this book finished.

Edit: I also just finished Heart of Darkness, which was a book (technically novella) that I've struggled with on and off the past three years or so. It was also quite challenging for me, but I'm glad I pushed through, I plan on doing a movie marathon of HoD inspired movies, and seeing how they compare. If anyone's interested here's the list I'm going through, Heart of Darkness (tv movie with Boris Karloff as Kurtz), Apocalypse Now and AN Redux, Aguirre the Wrath of God, 80s HoD tv movie/miniseries with John Malkovich as Kurtz, Embrace of the Serpent, and Ad Astra (maybe a few others I find).
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Been readin' ol' Pip Roth's ZUCKerman Unbound
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Two things:

Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cabin ... _the_World

This was a pretty decent horror thriller that was an easy read. It's not just a work of genre fiction though; there's some meat to it involving the current zeitgiest of intersection of conspiracy theories and religion within America, as well as being an "other". Along the likes of Jeff Vandemeer's Southern Reach Trilogy, it's a good example of recent weird fiction that manages to be pulpy, exciting, and "deep". Some of the prose can be a little wanton, but that's FINE.

I don't reccomend looking up spoilers or anything.

This will be adapted by M. Night Shyamalan next year, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm very curious how they will adapt the novel for the big screen, despite it being a relatively simple premise. There's a lot they could do with it.

Next is a short story by Peter Watts, The Things

You can read it here:
https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

Excellent companion piece to John Carpenter's The Thing. For those that don't know, it's basically the Thing, but told from the Thing's perspective. It manages to provide motive, or at least explanation to what's going on, and makes the creature a living sentient life form. However, it manages to uncover some rather wild and crazy ideas, and maintains an aura of discomfort throughout. I reccomend it if you're a fan of the 80's film, and you can enjoy it as an alternative take on the whole idea.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:15 am I also just finished Heart of Darkness, which was a book (technically novella) that I've struggled with on and off the past three years or so.
Funny story about Heart of Darkness. In my AP English class in high school, I got into an argument with my teacher about the validity of Watchmen as real literature. We came to an agreement: if I finished Heart of Darkness over Thanksgiving break, she'd read Watchmen. I managed to finish it pretty quick (being motivated by spite and all). When I came back and told her I finished it, and gave her Watchmen, she sat on it for two months before admitting she hadn't even tried to read it at all!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I finished The Flying Saucers Have Landed , by George Adamski. One of the classic UFO Contactee books of the '50s. It's literally a mixed bag. Adamski's story is fine, a mildly entertaining account of photographing saucers and meeting a guy from Venus. Problem is, it's very short, so the rest of the book is padded out with a different author's dull, long-winded droning about ancient astronaut theories, which wasn't what I bought this book for.

I just started Norman England's Behind the Kaiju Curtain , a behind the scenes account of the making of G3, G2K, GxM, and GMK. Looks like it'll be pretty interesting, and very educational. I know basically nothing about the people making the movies at that time.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just bought the trade paperback of Godzilla vs. the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Hope it's a good story.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

I finished Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

We Have Always Lived In The Castle, by Shirley Jackson.

Merricat my beloved….

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. Short and easy read, but charming and full of food for thought.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Two major Godzilla related additions to my list this week (on top of reading the final issue of 'Godzilla vs. Power Rangers'):

William Tsutsui's 2004 book, 'Godzilla on My Mind: Fifty Years of The King of Monsters'

'Godzilla: Awakening'

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

The Rogue One novelization, which ended up being very well written and enhanced my view of not just the movie, but every one of the characters within it. It even had some tie-ins to Andor, however unintentional it might be. The prose is excellent and now it’s become one of my all-time favorite movie novelizations.

I started reading Northanger Abbey via an audiobook for a class, and it’s interesting enough. Not my usual cup of tea but thought I’d mention it because I am interested in it.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image