Crossovers

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
mecha-gino
Futurian

Crossovers

Post by mecha-gino »

Since childhood we would have these ideas of 2 or more characters from different worlds meeting up with each other to fight or team up with each other. From Godzilla vs Power Rangers, to transformers vs gundams we've had these ideas. Now most of the time we've seen these crossovers in comics, mainly because it's a lot cheaper then producing the actual product as a movie or television series so naturally the world of comics is FLOODED with them. Some are good and some are bad. Some are famous, while others are obescure. So let's discuss crossovers and tell us some of your favorites ones. I would like to see ideas for crossovers as well, but to make it interesting let's hear why you think these characters/world should meet this said characters/world and how you would think it would work.

Now one of the most famous ones was originally going to be a movie. Yes, Spider-man and Superman were going to crossover in the world of cinema first but the idea got cancelled because of the live action Superman film being made, so instead we got this legendary comic.
It's a fun book but the team up could of been a little better, but it worked for it's time. Obviously Spider-man and Superman don't exist in the same universe and this idea has been explored in future crossovers one of which is technically canon if you look deep into it even though they say it isn't.

We've also got this crossover which I feel has been overlooked
Granted it's been collected into trade and junk but usually I don't hear a lot about this one and I actually enjoyed it more then the other one. I like it how they used Parasite and Dr. Doom as a team, even though it seems random but what I like a lot about this issue is that we get Superman vs Hulk... Course this is Pre-Crisis Superman taking on your ordinary angry hulk so natually Hulk did deliver some good blows to supes until he managed to stand up to it and pretty much own him with a few hits. Pre-Crisis Superman everybody, so Godmodded that not even the hulk can take him down.

Now I want to talk about this one crossover I just read, that in no way shape or form should work but manages to have a great story. I'm talking about Robocop vs Terminator.
I love Walter Simonson's cover of it and the art of his just kicks ass and this will be the first time I'll say something about the colorists. GOOD FUCKING JOB, my God do I love the colors on the terminators and robocop. Rachelle Menashe and Steve Oliff, I commend you and now I want to find more of Dark Horse's Terminator stuff regardless of it sucking or not. Basically the plot is Robocop is the reason why skynet went all crazy and killed everyone and now they have to stop everything from happening and junk. It's written by Frank Miller before his "Crazy days", so it's great and fun fact: Miller helped write the script for Robocop 2 and his original script was also translated into a comic book. The book is an absolute blast but it's one of the weirdest species of graphic novel I have ever seen. It's got adds and paper cuts out stuff, but then again this is an OLD graphic novel I managed to find at my library. If they ever bring it back into print, you HAVE to check it out if you are a terminator or Robocop fan.

And that's about it folk, so tell us your stories about you and crossovers.
Last edited by mecha-gino on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P My Old Sig. 2011 to 2016

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Re: Crossovers

Post by Malchik »

They're pretty much spawned out of lack of creativity and desire for quick sales.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

Malchik wrote:They're pretty much spawned out of lack of creativity and desire for quick sales.
Sounds like you are talking about IDW's infestation. OH!

Yeah, stuff like Superman vs Terminator and Alien vs Predator vs Terminator fit that bill.

To this day, I wonder how they could fuck up an awesome idea like AVPVT.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I've never had a chance to read the superman/spidey crossovers. Are they worth looking for?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I've never had a chance to read the superman/spidey crossovers. Are they worth looking for?
They aren't like Watchmen caliber comics but they're fun books for their time and I've read worse. So sure, as long as you have a softspot for those late 70's/early 80's comics that aren't that dark and gritty as some comics are today. You can find the first volume of the DC and Marvel crossovers on amazon for a reasonable price.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

Now if anyone wants to see more modern DC and Marvel crossovers, then Vol 2 - 4 are for you. My favorite is vol 4 and it just happens to be the one that's the easiet to find with my experience.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember there was a Batman vs. The Hulk crossover before. I think it was a team up with The Joker and General Ross from what I can remember.
Yeah... that match up never did make sense to me and I never did finish reading it. It was Joker and some all powerful guy from the hulk comics, I can't remember his name shaper of worlds or something. There's this Teen titans X-men crossover I'm quite interested in reading with as I heard Deathstroke is in it and it's Chris Claremont's version of the X-men.

I never got why Alien vs Predator got made into a movie, but Robocop vs Terminator didn't. It can work out SOOO well and be SOOO awesome.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

mecha-gino wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I've never had a chance to read the superman/spidey crossovers. Are they worth looking for?
They aren't like Watchmen caliber comics but they're fun books for their time and I've read worse. So sure, as long as you have a softspot for those late 70's/early 80's comics that aren't that dark and gritty as some comics are today. You can find the first volume of the DC and Marvel crossovers on amazon for a reasonable price.
I might pick em up. I personally enjoy all the comic eras, so they can be wacky or gritty or whatever and I usually enjoy it... as long as it's not stupid.

While we're talking about crossovers, everyone here is familiar with the DC vs Marvel crossover where there were 2 entities each representing their respective comic universe and they pitted their superheroes against eachother. But what did everyone think about the fact that Supes beat Thor? Sure it was a damn good fight but REALLY? I'm sorry but Thor should never lose (though he often does in Marvel anyways) against aliens, humans, mutants, or any normal heroes. He's a GOD! Only another God or something should be able to beat him. Thoughts?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Robocop and Terminator both live in two totaly different timelines. Seeing the whole Judgment day thing started in 2004 from what I can remember.
I know, and even though the book ignores that it is still great which is quite funny. Unless if you look really into it and it turns out to be a split timeline or something, like because of the events of T2 judgement day doesn't happen until the creation of robocop interfacing with skynet.
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
mecha-gino wrote:
I might pick em up. I personally enjoy all the comic eras, so they can be wacky or gritty or whatever and I usually enjoy it... as long as it's not stupid.

While we're talking about crossovers, everyone here is familiar with the DC vs Marvel crossover where there were 2 entities each representing their respective comic universe and they pitted their superheroes against eachother. But what did everyone think about the fact that Supes beat Thor? Sure it was a damn good fight but REALLY? I'm sorry but Thor should never lose (though he often does in Marvel anyways) against aliens, humans, mutants, or any normal heroes. He's a GOD! Only another God or something should be able to beat him. Thoughts?
Well then, go at it then. Some of the later stuff like the Superman FF crossover and the Batman Spider-man crossover are really fun.

Well... STFU ya Butthurt smelly fanboy. :D Hehe, the battle was damn good but keep in mind they both fought to the point of exhaustion with superman pushing all he can to fight someone with his weaknesses while Thor fights a powerful being on par with him. Wonderman and I believe count nefaria(Stan and Jack's evil superman) defeated Thor as well. Keep in mind when it comes to gods in both DC and Marvel, they get dumbed down a bit for a reason, but I got a crossover that tops the god of thunder taking on the man of steel....

JESUS VS THE GREEK/ROMAN GODS!
http://shimmie.shishnet.org/v2/_images/ ... 0jesus.jpg

@Tyler: I want to read that, but I got one to top that.... Batman vs H.P. Lovecraft done by Hellboy's creator! :D

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

mecha-gino wrote:Well... STFU ya Butthurt sexy fanboy. Hehe, the battle was damn good but keep in mind they both fought to the point of exhaustion with superman pushing all he can to fight someone with his weaknesses while Thor fights a powerful being on par with him. Wonderman and I believe count nefaria(Stan and Jack's evil superman) defeated Thor as well. Keep in mind when it comes to gods in both DC and Marvel, they get dumbed down a bit for a reason, but I got a crossover that tops the god of thunder taking on the man of steel....
Fixed... and NO! I WON'T ACCEPT IT! lol. I've seen Silver Surfer beat Thor too. It pisses me off though. I'm a spideyfan more than Thor (or any of the avengers for that matter), but it just doesn't make any sense to me. My problem more than likely stems from my disdain for superman rather than the fact that I like Thor.
mecha-gino wrote:JESUS VS THE GREEK/ROMAN GODS!
But... Jesus doesn't like to hit things! How would he fight them! lol. Twould be pretty awesome though.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

GOD DAMN YOU SEXY! :evil: Hehe, I've been meaning to read that classic fight between Surfer and thor. It was issue 6 of Silver Surfer I believe. And... Rob Liefeld did that crossover and I SOOO want to track it down and give it to Linkara.

There was two crossovers with Batman actually, says the comicvine and what linkara said there's a Youngblood Power Rangers crossover. I REALLY want to read that and the beetle borgs one.

The Supreme/Gladiator one I might of read I'm not to sure but I think I didn't like it but then again this is Liefeld's run on Supreme. There's also one with Pitt and Hulk but it was alright from what I remember.

The TMNT guest appearance in Savage Dragon #1 was pretty cool.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

^The only comic book crossover I have is Batman vs. Spawn.

Mine has a different cover.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

@hellspawn: I know, I couldn't believe it either but Linkara himself said there's sale figures to it. There's also this beetle borgs crossover too, as I previously mentioned. And Pre-Crisis Superman teaming up with Popeye!? Reality has been broken. I am now interested in finding this second batman crossover with Spawn.
Tyler wrote:
mecha-gino wrote:@Tyler: I want to read that, but I got one to top that.... Batman vs H.P. Lovecraft done by Hellboy's creator! :D
This one?
Nah, this one.

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

Still dreaming of Gamera vs Godzilla....
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I'd say ninety percent of crossovers end up sucking. There's exceptions like those detailed in this topic of course, but there's still Freddy vs. Jason and King Kong vs. Godzilla.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

gigandude
Gotengo Officer

Post by gigandude »

Hellspawn28 wrote:MG, did you ever read the crossover with Popeye and Pre-Crisis Superman before?
popeye ...... the spinach loving salior meets the man of steel........... X_X
After 10,000 years!
:antonio: :mugal: :xilian:

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

I love crossovers. I'll admit I'm a sucker for them. I always enjoy seeing characters that aren't normally associated with each other together. Read any of my stories to figure that out: CSI: Miami/Godzilla, JLA/Godzilla, and JLU/TMNT.

I really would like to read the JLA/Avengers crossover. Has anyone read that?
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

Yeah, the amalgam comics I wish we got to see more but do to the egos of Marvel and Possibly DC(Not sure how bad Dan is) that'll never happen for a while. And some were left on cliffhanger such as Speed Demon's(Flash + Ghost Rider + Etrigan) and wanting to see the next issue of Super Soldier which would of had the Doomnaut(Doomsday + Juggernaut), not to mention the major major major awesomeness that would of been secret crisis of the infinity hour which had Thanoseid(Thano + Darkseid) teaming up with Dr. Doomsday(Doctor Doom + Doomsday). Man, there could of been SOOO much potential for Amalgam comics but it never happened. :(

Oh and this is just one of THE most Badass fusions ever of all time:

Batman + Wolverine = Dark Claw, the awesome sauce! Only Super Soldier can top that, which is Superman + Captain America.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

mecha-gino wrote:
Batman + Wolverine = Dark Claw, the awesome sauce! Only Super Soldier can top that, which is Superman + Captain America.
I want to read BOTH of those stories.
Tyler wrote:
mecha-gino wrote:@Tyler: I want to read that, but I got one to top that.... Batman vs H.P. Lovecraft done by Hellboy's creator! :D
This one?

MUST HAVE!!!

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Hellspawn28 wrote:Goku vs. Superman
That started a flame war that is still going on in some parts of the internet. I was always on the Goku side, though Superman is definitely tough. It was an interesting concept and gave people something to talk about.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Hellspawn28 wrote:Sailor Moon vs. Wonder Woman
Hell yes. I don't like either of them but school girl costume and metallic bathing suit thingy = awesome. That itself deserves a movie. XD

Seriously though, to my knowledge wizard hasn't done anything like that in a long time. I don't see them doing it again either.